HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Jets one of the best defensive teams in the league?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:03 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Are the Jets one of the best defensive teams in the league?

I hear a lot of talk about the Jets defensive struggles, but truth be told I don't see the problem being as drastic as some paint it. I think the Jets have been doing a pretty good job of limiting easy opportunities from in tight and in the slot this year. Thankfully some Ninja named Greg made this date relatively easy to find.

I also know that the Jets do a decent job of limiting shots in general, so I decided to do a little bit of numbers analysis. Anyways, these two number point to the Jets being among the most effective defensive teams and have them lumped in with some teams that a known for "making things easy on their goalies."

Here it is:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...ing-the-crease

I just slapped this together, it isn't as comprehensive as it could be and it isn't definitive by any means, but I do think it is interesting. What do you think? Please share your thoughts.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Very interesting - agrees with the eye test too, so unfortunately it points in one direction as to fault.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Scheifele55

vCash: 500
I am not too convinced that the Jets are one of the best. They are 25th in GAA tied for 12th in Shots Allowed, and have a .167 winning % when outshot which is 29th to Boston who may have been outshot once or twice this year. Another issue is their penalty killing is brutal which I attribute to defensive hockey.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
I am not too convinced that the Jets are one of the best. They are 25th in GAA tied for 12th in Shots Allowed, and have a .167 winning % when outshot which is 29th to Boston who may have been outshot once or twice this year. Another issue is their penalty killing is brutal which I attribute to defensive hockey.
I am not convinced either, but

12th best in SA, 6th best in the East

and

7th best at up close percentage, 4th best in East

...suggest they don't suck.

Pavi needs to make some saves on the PK, .723 simply won't do.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Damn...maybe we won't get MacKinnon after all.

Really makes you wonder how this team would do with better goaltending.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Take a look at shots for and against for the past few games. Basically between the first florida game and the last game we always had more shots for. That was rare last year.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Take a look at shots for and against for the past few games. Basically between the first florida game and the last game we always had more shots for. That was rare last year.
Yep and that is with the nutty numbers of missed shots.

If they can put the puck on the net they will score more and perhaps even start winning.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
If I'm reading this right then it just means he saves a decent amount of shots inside 10'...?

I'm more concerned with how many shots he actually sees, or are deflected past him. Unfortunately there is no such stat for that.

For the record, no I don't think Pav is playing to his potential right now, but I don't think he's as bad as half this forum does either.

Against Boston I think two goals were virtually unsavable... one a defelection off a Boston player, the other a deflection off of Hainsey.

The only time I get a little disappointed by Pavs is when he has full vision of the shot, and the shot 'appears' to be weak.

Right now it is obvious the coaching staff have Pavs playing the top of the circle. I hate this personally because he goes down for EVERYTHING. So he is often way out of position for the second shot from the inevitable rebound.

I haven't given up on him yet.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Damn...maybe we won't get MacKinnon after all.

Really makes you wonder how this team would do with better goaltending.
Truthfully I would still bet on the Jets making the playoffs if this was an 82 game season, but not with so few games left.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Truthfully I would still bet on the Jets making the playoffs if this was an 82 game season, but not with so few games left.
I can't beleive what I am reading here.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
If I'm reading this right then it just means he saves a decent amount of shots inside 10'...?

I'm more concerned with how many shots he actually sees, or are deflected past him. Unfortunately there is no such stat for that.

For the record, no I don't think Pav is playing to his potential right now, but I don't think he's as bad as half this forum does either.

Against Boston I think two goals were virtually unsavable... one a defelection off a Boston player, the other a deflection off of Hainsey.

The only time I get a little disappointed by Pavs is when he has full vision of the shot, and the shot 'appears' to be weak.

Right now it is obvious the coaching staff have Pavs playing the top of the circle. I hate this personally because he goes down for EVERYTHING. So he is often way out of position for the second shot from the inevitable rebound.

I haven't given up on him yet.
The save percentage number is total. Not related to the up close shots. I wasn't really clear on that.

The numbers suggest that he actually sees very few shots from within 10 feet relative to the rest of the league.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:27 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
I can't beleive what I am reading here.
Read truck's page, and the thought process behind it. I seriously doubt he's intimating that there aren't problems, but rather the underlying numbers suggest that over a season, things would work themselves out as the fundamentals aren't that bad.

It is possible to have a discussion about these things even when their results suggest we should be ducking for cover as the sky is falling.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Read truck's page, and the thought process behind it. I seriously doubt he's intimating that there aren't problems, but rather the underlying numbers suggest that over a season, things would work themselves out as the fundamentals aren't that bad.

It is possible to have a discussion about these things even when their results suggest we should be ducking for cover as the sky is falling.
More or less.

Pretty much all of the underlying numbers suggests that the Jets are a mediocre to slightly above average team except for the goalkeeping and the PK.

The thing about those bad numbers is, they are so so so bad that I can't see them sustaining themselves.

Based on what I see during the games, the PK isn't as bad as the numbers.

I also can't see Pav falling this hard for much longer. I have stated repeatedly that he makes me nervous, but I don't think he is . 899 bad. I expect him to improve or at least get hot / lucky for a while.

Luck won't help the powerplay though. That worries me. They need to fix the system or something.

That said, anything can happen.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
The save percentage number is total. Not related to the up close shots. I wasn't really clear on that.

The numbers suggest that he actually sees very few shots from within 10 feet relative to the rest of the league.
Hmm, interesting. Food for thought for sure.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
PerryPooley

Unless the Jets get a shutout, they don't win.
The biggest problem is goal scoring.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Really well articulated article and further proves what I believe has been the Jets downfall thus far.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Scheifele55

I hope winnipeg gets McKinnon or Jones.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
That would be nice.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Great work truck, very interesting read.

Ever since that nightmare road trip where they gave up 18 goals in 3 games, the Jets seem to have embraced an overall commitment to team defense, and have been trapping the **** out of teams. Prevention of scoring chances has been one of the major improvements of this year's Jets team.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
...or Drouin or Barkov or Lindholm or Monahan.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Great work truck, very interesting read.

Ever since that nightmare road trip where they gave up 18 goals in 3 games, the Jets seem to have embraced an overall commitment to team defense, and have been trapping the **** out of teams. Prevention of scoring chances has been one of the major improvements of this year's Jets team.
I've been impressed with their commitment to the system.

Let's now hope they buy into the "put pucks on the net" system.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
I've been impressed with their commitment to the system.

Let's now hope they buy into the "put pucks on the net" system.
No more picking corners! Just put it on the net!

Old
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
pcanuck

As a person of these blogs with a minority opinion - I appreciate your opinion although I disagree.

I like stats, in fact, I work with them each day but they don't explain the giveaways and the nuisances that we observe (that are not measured). For instance, effort to get to loose pucks are not measured, poor dump outs are not measured, nor are icing calls. These all contribute to bad defence but there are few metrics to measure them.

That being said, we are a terrible hockey team. Our D is really bad but worse, because our goaltending is one of the worst in the league, our numbers drop further. IMO, our best defenders are our forwards.

We are currently old, lazy and concentrating on everything but D. Hainsey and Stuart eat minutes but they have no speed or ability to move people physically. Enstrom is a defensive twig but plays well in the transition game. Byfuglien is simply awful defensively but his offensive prowess makes him a fan favorite (a significant problem). Clitsome, Postma and Redmond are okay in relief. Bogosian is the one defenceman I feel has the most to offer our team in the future.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
teucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPooley View Post
Unless the Jets get a shutout, they don't win.
The biggest problem is goal scoring.
I think our scoring has been fine for the most part. It seems that every time we have a lead pavs lets in a softy and/or defense plays horrendous and doesn't let us keep the lead. We need our goaltender to give us a chance every night. Keep in mind that Noel and Co around the jets bench is teaching Defense first mentality that is why offense isn't amazing.

teucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:46 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:
No more picking corners! Just put it on the net!
Miss the net for Seth?

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote