Old
01-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
If he would've thrown the puck out of the zone, there would be a whistle and a face off in the Wilds end. That being said, it would've been tough to pull that one off in that instant. I don't blame Backstrom for that one, that was on Spurgeon.
Durrrrr.

It was partly on Parise and partly on Bäcks. It was not on Spurgeon. As someone else explained earlier (Jarick?), he wasn't covering the point because he was sniffing a high-% scoring chance from a rebound. In a tie game, that's what you're kind of supposed to do.

01-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Still, 80% Backstrom on there one. He had more than enough chance to not pass it into Erat.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Durrrrr.

It was partly on Parise and partly on Bäcks. It was not on Spurgeon. As someone else explained earlier (Jarick?), he wasn't covering the point because he was sniffing a high-% scoring chance from a rebound. In a tie game, that's what you're kind of supposed to do.
Spurgeon has to be aware that he is the only one back and can't just surrender the point. The fact that he was "sniffing" a scoring opportunity is irrelevent. As a defenseman, his first responsibility is to take care of the defensive end of the ice, and he failed in that regard.

And I disagree about needing to do that in a tie-game. If anything, he should be MORE cautious in that situation in order to get a point in the event of a tie. Now, if they were DOWN a goal in that situation, that might be a different story.

Quote:
Still, 80% Backstrom on there one. He had more than enough chance to not pass it into Erat.
Watch the replay....He didn't "pass it into Erat". Erat just did a good job anticipating where Backstrom was going to attempt to clear to. Backstrom was left in "no-mans land" and that is a tough play for ANY goalie to make. It's tough for a goalie to stickhandle wearing a glove and a blocker. Besides, if Spurgeon would've been in position, Backstrom wouldn't have HAD to try and make that play on the puck in the first place.

This is about 90% on Spurgeon and 10% on Parise.

Last edited by MuckOG: 01-25-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it can't be on spurgeon because he's everyone's favorite. you know how this works.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Spurgeon has to be aware that he is the only one back and can't just surrender the point. The fact that he was "sniffing" a scoring opportunity is irrelevent. As a defenseman, his first responsibility is to take care of the defensive end of the ice, and he failed in that regard.

And I disagree about needing to do that in a tie-game. If anything, he should be MORE cautious in that situation in order to get a point in the event of a tie. Now, if they were DOWN a goal in that situation, that might be a different story.

Watch the replay....He didn't "pass it into Erat". Erat just did a good job anticipating where Backstrom was going to attempt to clear to. Backstrom was left in "no-mans land" and that is a tough play for ANY goalie to make. It's tough for a goalie to stickhandle wearing a glove and a blocker. Besides, if Spurgeon would've been in position, Backstrom wouldn't have HAD to try and make that play on the puck in the first place.

This is about 90% on Spurgeon and 10% on Parise.
What the **** are you sniffing?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
Watch the replay....He didn't "pass it into Erat". Erat just did a good job anticipating where Backstrom was going to attempt to clear to. Backstrom was left in "no-mans land" and that is a tough play for ANY goalie to make. It's tough for a goalie to stickhandle wearing a glove and a blocker. Besides, if Spurgeon would've been in position, Backstrom wouldn't have HAD to try and make that play on the puck.

Again, this is on Spurgeon.
I have watched the replay. Multiple times.

While blaming Spurgeon, you also have to blame the pass to Spurgeon. That was an absolute horse dung pass. Yes, Spurgeon shouldn't have tried to play it. He should have backed up. Thats not my issue here. But if you look at the replay Spurgeon was already skating into the slot, which Parise should have been aware of, but he passed it behind, out of reach, and basically to the defender. Parise looked up before he passed, he should have seen that coming.

Backstrom had countless ways of playing that puck that would have not been into Erat. He pretty much passed it into Erat. I know its tough for a goalie to stickhandle, I am a goalie. But he is also a professional, which should make him at least proficient in stickhandling with that glove and blocker.

Backstrom could have covered it and given it to the defenseman immediately because Erat would have blown right by him. Backstrom had a wide open backhand pass to Suter. Or he could have one kneed it and shoved it off to his left. Or, worse case scenario, he could have covered it and gotten a delay of game penalty. Which would have been a pretty good penalty to take. He could have also not hesitated and gotten to the puck quicker.

Yes, I'm blaming this on Parise and Backstrom. Not Spurgeon.

Watch from :31- :34. Parise can not be totally blameless in this.

Last edited by Victorious Secret: 01-25-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
How about instead of blaming everyone, we just give credit to Erat for a fantastic shift? Great defense in his end getting in the lane, knocks the puck perfectly, hustles down to grab it, blocks the clearing attempt, corrals the puck along the boards, and makes that last move to basically score from the goal line.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I have watched the replay. Multiple times.

While blaming Spurgeon, you also have to blame the pass to Spurgeon. That was an absolute horse dung pass. Yes, Spurgeon shouldn't have tried to play it. He should have backed up. Thats not my issue here. But if you look at the replay Spurgeon was already skating into the slot, which Parise should have been aware of, but he passed it behind, out of reach, and basically to the defender. Parise looked up before he passed, he should have seen that coming.

Backstrom had countless ways of playing that puck that would have not been into Erat. He pretty much passed it into Erat. I know its tough for a goalie to stickhandle, I am a goalie. But he is also a professional, which should make him at least proficient in stickhandling with that glove and blocker.

Backstrom could have covered it and given it to the defenseman immediately because Erat would have blown right by him. Backstrom had a wide open backhand pass to Suter. Or he could have one kneed it and shoved it off to his left. Or, worse case scenario, he could have covered it and gotten a delay of game penalty. Which would have been a pretty good penalty to take. He could have also not hesitated and gotten to the puck quicker.

Yes, I'm blaming this on Parise and Backstrom. Not Spurgeon.

Watch from :31- :34. Parise can not be totally blameless in this.

I did give partial blame to Parise. But I don't see how you can say that Spurgeon is blameless!! He was COMPLETELY out of position and cost the Wild a point!!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
What the **** are you sniffing?
The truth? Reality? Combination of both?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How about instead of blaming everyone, we just give credit to Erat for a fantastic shift? Great defense in his end getting in the lane, knocks the puck perfectly, hustles down to grab it, blocks the clearing attempt, corrals the puck along the boards, and makes that last move to basically score from the goal line.
Get the hell out of here with your fancy "logic"

Old
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
I wouldn't really "blame" either of Parise, Spurgeon or Bäckström. Parise had a quick look at the point, saw Spurgeon, but just as he was passing Spurgeon moved up a bit for a better scoring chance. It's bad luck that both plays had to take place the same instant. Backs on the other hand ended up being left to a pretty bad spot, and he did what he could. Erat anticipated it well and was rewarded.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the Wild miss the playoffs by a point, I am going to go nuts.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Actually, this is the way to go. Erat is consistently underrated and stuff like this just illustrates it. Seems Koivu gets the same treatment...where we see him beasting it other fans see breakdowns by their guys.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
If the Wild miss the playoffs by a point, I am going to go nuts.
If we finish one point behind everyone else for best lottery percentage then I'm sending all 4 a gift basket.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Also, the Wild was at least credited with only five hits tonight. Now they go into the toughest building in the league against arguably the biggest team in the league – St. Louis on Sunday. I’m betting Matt Kassian is dusted off.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/188459961.html

Old
01-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

I hope so. Dude better come out swinging.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:58 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Cullen and Spurgeon missing from Practice.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:02 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Cullen and Spurgeon missing from Practice.
Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Granlund - Setoguchi
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Konopka - Kassian

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Falk - Dumba

Doooo iiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt

Old
01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Granlund - Setoguchi
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Konopka - Kassian

Suter - Brodin
Gilbert - Stoner
Falk - Dumba

Doooo iiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt
I'd love to see this lineup against St. Louis.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Russo:

Quote:
At least w Cullen not at practice, Bouchard to 2nd line, Powe to 3rd, Kassian on 4th. Ill get Cullen update after. I'm assuming arm #MNWild
E: Too slow...

Old
01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Not to celebrate a guy possibly being injured but. . . . . . hooray, Cullen isn't going to play (I hope)!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Russo:

E: Too slow...
Ugh, Powe on the 3rd line is bad..

He's a typical 4th liner after all. I'd rather see Mitchell there.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Yahoo sports power rankings has the Wild ranked at #9 in the league. Even as a fan of the team, that's too high, imo. Here's their blurb on it.

Quote:
Zach Parise’s start has been better than Ryan Suter’s – but you’d be tentative, too, if you didn’t have Shea Weber helping you out for the first time in seven years.
We also made their #2 game to watch this week.

Quote:
2. Minnesota at St. Louis, Sunday. The Wild want to leap up the standings like the Blues did last season, and a date in St. Louis is good litmus test.
So...good for us, I guess?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

As to that Blurb - It's not like Weber is doing much better without Suter.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Russo:

Quote:
Yeo expecting Cullen (maintenance) to play tomorrow vs. #stlblues; Spurgeon doubtful. (Per Yeo)Niklas Backstrom vs. (Per Hitch)Brian Elliott

Closed Thread