Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild News And Notes

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Ugh, Spurgeon has no business on the 1st pairing. Absolutely none.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Or did they just catch Parise's alleged illness?
That was my first thought.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Ughhhhhhhh. Bad move

Old
02-16-2013, 12:28 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Ugh, Spurgeon has no business on the 1st pairing. Absolutely none.
It didn't go well the first time, this time it just must! Right? Yeah... Cus that's smart...

Old
02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
After 11 games in this league, Brodin is already a top-2 defensemen. It is absolutely absurd and inexcusable that Yeo is putting Spurgeon with Suter.

In all honesty I think that Spurgeon is our worst defensemen. I feel more comfortable with Prosser out there, because he at least plays with an edge. Spurgeon is tiny, he can't clear anyone out in front of the net, he is a defensive liability, and he often fumbles the puck on the powerplay. The one thing he brings to the table is his average ability to break the puck out, but that does not offset all of the ways in which he is a liability.

Now that Brodin is with Prosser, he is on our 3rd pairing. First pairing minutes with one of the best defensemen in the league, or 3rd pairing minutes with Prosser...I wonder which is better for Brodin and the team?
I agree that Brodin should remain with Suter as it seems they have already developed some chemistry that will only improve with time. I see no reason, whatsoever, to split them up.

I disagree that Spurgeon is one our worst blueliners. I think he's just fine playing on the second pairing with Gilbert.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Pathetic move by Yeo.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Spurgie does bring more offense than Brodin, tho. I partly understand the decision.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

I don't understand it.

I don't.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Russo had a blog

Quote:
My gut says the Wild recalls two forwards. First, it would act as insurance if Clutterbuck can't play, but second, the Wild needs some new life in the lineup. That would mean a forward -- likely a fourth-line forward -- comes out.
The Wild hadn't decided which forward or forwards would be recalled as of yet, but with a 5 p.m. game Sunday and the Aeros playing in Hamilton tonight, that decision will have to be made in the next couple hours.
My gut says both Jason Zucker and Johan Larsson get the call, although lately, guys like Justin Fontaine and Carson McMillan have played well, too. And we know Charlie Coyle can play up here.
But the guess is we see 2010 second-rounders Zucker and Larsson. Zucker leads the Aeros with 19 goals and 41 points in 47 games. Larsson has 13 goals and 27 points in 50 games. If Larsson gets the call, it'd be the NHL debut for Sweden's captain for last year's gold-medal junior team.
Quote:
Prosser was paired with Jonas Brodin in today's practice, while Ryan Suter was reunited with Jared Spurgeon. Coach Mike Yeo said that won't necessarily be the pairs though. He said he did that for lefty-righty looks in practice. I'd think it sticks though. Yeo did say the Wild is considering playing Brodin on the power play like they did in Detroit last month. He said the only reason why they really haven't is because they have so many lefties on the power play.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
ChexLeMeneux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
It didn't go well the first time, this time it just must! Right? Yeah... Cus that's smart...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Old
02-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
****ING HELL CAN YOU ALL JUST ****ING RELAX FOR A SINGLE SECOND?

First of all, we have NO IDEA what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe Brodin is just tired? He is 19 years old, playing a tough schedule and physical games in freakin' NHL on the 1st pairing. With 25 MIN TOI/game. He's not used to it. It may be a temporary decision. If it's permanent, then I'm as dumbfounded as you are, but all we know is that those are PRACTICE LINES.

Secondly, you're treating Jared Spurgeon like he's ****ing Yannick Weber. He's not. He is not a defensive liability, he's not useless at the blue line nor is he made of glass. You all know that. If you don't, just watch the games he's played again. He was repeatedly praised in the Colorado game, and for a reason. Sure, the last goal deflected off him. Big deal, happens to everyone, and he was making exactly the move he should've which was to block the pass to the slot. You really see the difference when he's in the line-up, he's that good. He may not be top-2 material, but he is top-4 when utilized right.

Also, you may scoff at Nate Prosser, but to his credit, he has shown to be borderline NHL player in last games. He may not be very good defensively and his hockey IQ makes for a lot to be wished for, but at least he plays with a chip on his shoulder. When you look at his play and look at the players after the game, you can't say that he didn't try his absolute best after the game. And it's not like he's stopped developing. He may not ever be NHL material, but he's at least trying to be. And playing with a defensive genius like Jonas Brodin can't hurt his development. It can be a learning experience for both, and at least he can be counted for protecting our Swedish savior.

Besides, Falk has felt "under the weather" and won't play in the next game. Maybe Yeo saw improvement in Prosser's play and decided to try him next to Brodin for one game. Or, as I said, maybe Brodin is tired. Definitely a possibility, I would say even very likely. Either way, I wouldn't go and firebomb Yeo's house just yet.

02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'd rather see Brodin paired with Gilbert but whatever. I suppose he doesn't wanna mess with the Stoner - Gilbert pairing and pairing him with Prosser spreads out the talent I guess.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Spurgie does bring more offense than Brodin, tho. I partly understand the decision.
Lol no. Brodin has a helluva shot. Much better than spurgio

Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I dunno tbh. Spurgeon has a very accurate shot, too. Brodin has more power though, and his isn't exactly a crap shoot, either.

However, offense isn't just about a heavy, accurate shot. It's much more. We've seen that Spurgeon has very soft hands, great offensive instincts and good passing ability. Offensively, and strictly offensively, he might just be better than Brodin as of now. I have no doubt about the fact that Brodin will still continue to develop his offense, but as of now, Spurgeon is ahead by a nose.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Either way, I wouldn't go and firebomb Yeo's house just yet.
Good post and not to only highlight the last sentence but...I look like a psycho for laughing really hard at that comment at work. Ha!

I visualized a horde of Wild fans as ALF members firebombing a testing lab.

I still agree with the majority on here though that separating Brodin/Suter looks to be a bad idea but Puhis is right that there might be something going on that the fans aren't aware of.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
OpRedDawn*

Even just the way Brodin does it. He shoots with authority. He doesn't hesitate. He's had some awesome one timers and hit the post a few times

Old
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Beegoalie

Cant wait to see Larsson if this is true...also ready to see Zucker.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Cant wait to see Larsson if this is true...also ready to see Zucker.
There is some upside to all of this mess.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

I'd like to see:

Suter Brodin
Gilbert Falk
Stoner Spurgeon

Old
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Quote:
I dunno tbh. Spurgeon has a very accurate shot, too. Brodin has more power though, and his isn't exactly a crap shoot, either.

However, offense isn't just about a heavy, accurate shot. It's much more. We've seen that Spurgeon has very soft hands, great offensive instincts and good passing ability. Offensively, and strictly offensively, he might just be better than Brodin as of now. I have no doubt about the fact that Brodin will still continue to develop his offense, but as of now, Spurgeon is ahead by a nose.
Yup. Even if Brodin is more mobile and shoots more, Spurgie is still the better offensive presence. He has soft hands, keeps the puck to himself quite well and makes clever passes. Spurgie dares to be creative in the o-zone. I'm pleasently surprised that Brodin shoots a lot but it doesn't make him an offensive threat.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

this is a spread out the talent move I think. they're going to see if Brodin can really carry a pairing on his own now.

Prosser hasn't been any worse than any of the other bottom pairing rotators lately and he's the only guy who consistently fights back when people are pressing our goalies so I'm alright with this. I think Spurge will be fine up there. This doesn't necessarily mean he'll get more minutes than Brodin, anyway.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Ideally you'd want to have the left handed d-men play on the left side and the right handed d-men play on the right side, hence Yeo putting Spurgeon with Suter, Brodin with Prosser, and Stoner with Gilbert. However, the Wild don't have that truly capable top pairing right handed d-man to play on the first pairing with Suter, unless you play Gilbert there, but that weakens the other pairings too much in my opinion. So while I get why Yeo did this, I just think Brodin and Suter were playing too well together to break them up, as does pretty much everyone else. Not sure if Suter is ever gonna have the same d partner every game while he's here with the Wild because unless Dumba develops into top pairing material, or we trade for a guy like Bogosian, I think it's gonna be a consistent merry-go-round for who plays with Suter.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Yup. Even if Brodin is more mobile and shoots more, Spurgie is still the better offensive presence. He has soft hands, keeps the puck to himself quite well and makes clever passes. Spurgie dares to be creative in the o-zone. I'm pleasently surprised that Brodin shoots a lot but it doesn't make him an offensive threat.
I don't see Spurgeon as even a little offensive threat nor has he done anything that would earn him "creative" in the offensive zone. He had some sah-weeet breakout passes last game but that's pretty much it.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
grN1g

not much change here imo, their spreading out the even strength minutes and playing brodin on the power play which hasn't been done really yet so that should be a nice change.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Would like to see these as the PP units:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Gilbert - Suter

Bouchard - Granlund - Seto
Spurgeon - Brodin

If Zucker is called up though I replace Bouchard with him.

Closed Thread