HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
  #601
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would probably go with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Sweatt-Higgins-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Let Lapierre sit and rest his injury.
you would put our most talented players in the top 6? seems like a no brainer doesn't it?

if only AV had a brain.

Moore Money is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  #602
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,201
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Why is Kassian in your top 6? Shouldn't he be on the fourth line like you declared all summer/lockout?
Because right now he's playing like he deserves it? I don't know if he's a long-term solution there for this season, but might as well keep him there while he's producing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
you would put our most talented players in the top 6? seems like a no brainer doesn't it?

if only AV had a brain.
Crazy idea I know, but it might just work.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
  #603
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,796
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Oh, alone he's been okay. Just that I don't like having him and Ebbett *both* in. They just don't seem to work very well together. Plus I think that Pinner's the better hockey player.
By Pinner I imagine you mean Pinnizotto? I agree, but his problem is he can't stay healthy.

Samzilla is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
  #604
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,172
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
By Pinner I imagine you mean Pinnizotto? I agree, but his problem is he can't stay healthy.
I desperately want that poor guy to finally get a game in the big leagues this season. I figure between the two of him and Volpatti they should be able to cover a 48 game season.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:15 PM
  #605
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because right now he's playing like he deserves it? I don't know if he's a long-term solution there for this season, but might as well keep him there while he's producing.
He can't produce there! He can't even produce in the AHL!

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  #606
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,403,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (14-man roster): $3,896,667

We need an entirely new bottom 6, short of Hansen, and 3 bottom pairing-ish defenders.
Resign Tanev (1.5m x 3) and possibly Barker if he sees action (700k x 1), and call up Frankie Corrado if he's ready (@ 599,144) if Barker is either unavailable, doesn't want to sign cheap again, or a replacement isn't found.

Forwards are a little trickier.

Schroeder, Lapierre and Higgins are all due for raises, probably in the range of 1.25 x 1, 1.25 x 1, and 2.25 x 1 at the low end for each, and we need three more bottom six forwards.

With the cap going down, marginal raises to lower line players will be likely, and I'm thinking Pinnizotto, Weise and Volpatti so far. They are currently making 600k, 615k and 600k, and I think a one year, 25 raise each would/could keep them interested under current/future circumstances, and if not, find a suitable replacements. As with the third line guys, every one gets a one year deal so we can renegotiate when more cap space is available.

I should note, only Kassian, Hansen and which ever players here get 1 year deals are likely the only ones due for raises. The Sedins are also up but my thoughts are they they resign until retirement with a similar (hopefully lesser) cap hit.

There is no sense letting Jensen play on our bottom line as well, I'd rather have him play a year in the AHL. If Higgins/Lapierre do not wish to sign at a discounted hometown deal, then I will gladly play Jensen in the top 9 instead.

Luongo will still likely have to be moved. I leave that up to speculation as to what and whom.

If we get futures back, super, we keep Ballard, if we get a player making even marginally more then an ELC back, he will have to be moved as well.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Higgins ($2.250m) / Schroeder ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Volpatti ($600k) / Lapierre ($1.25m) / Weise ($640k)
Pinnizotto ($600k)
, Jensen on call up ($894,166)

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Tanev ($1.500m)
Barker ($700k)
Corrado as a call up ($599,144)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($750k)

We come in at just above the cap, but with our penchant of injuries to start ther year, we could make it work. We sneak in just under $440,000 with this roster.

Even if Ballard sets the world on fire, it's him if a player is to be bought out or moved if we get a roster player back for Lu. Penguins, Senators, Stars, Islanders, Avalanche, Wild, Flyers and Red Wings fans have all made offers that, under normal circumstances, I'd have jumped on. I'd say a 2nd and a prospect of comparible value would do, or a first straight, and no matter what, that beats a buy out.


Last edited by Cogburn: 01-29-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
  #607
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
We come in at just above the cap, but with our penchant of injuries to start ther year, we could make it work. We sneak in just under $440,000 with this roster.

Even if Ballard sets the world on fire, it's him if a player is to be bought out or moved if we get a roster player back for Lu. Penguins, Senators, Stars, Islanders, Avalanche, Wild, Flyers and Red Wings fans have all made offers that, under normal circumstances, I'd have jumped on. I'd say a 2nd and a prospect of comparible value would do, or a first straight, and no matter what, that beats a buy out.
Is this from somewhere?! Dang I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
By Pinner I imagine you mean Pinnizotto? I agree, but his problem is he can't stay healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I desperately want that poor guy to finally get a game in the big leagues this season. I figure between the two of him and Volpatti they should be able to cover a 48 game season.
Yep, the very same. I also would love to see him finally get his first game in the NHL. His play deserves it IMO. Volpatti I would slot in if there's a tough heavyweight that might be running around, but playoffs I would go for Pinner... if he's healthy that is.

But when everyone's healthy though, it might be one of Higgins or Raymond that's on the 4th line LW.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
  #608
arsmaster
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,959
vCash: 500
Nice work cogburn.

I have 2 minor issues:

If I know MG, Tanev will sign a deal very similar to Hansen's, I highly doubt he'll get to $1.5, unless we see considerable offense this season.

I'd put him in @ 1.2 x 2 years (the QO is under $1million).

Same issue with Schroeder. I believe MG likes to 'overcook' his prospects, because it keeps their 23-26 year old seasons very affordable, and their performance will likely outproduce their salaries.

Somewhere close to $1m for Schroeder, but I can't see it being to far over....probably a one year qualifier.

I don't think we would need to buy-out a single player, we don't have 'bad' contracts....Booth and Ballard are maybe underperforming their contracts, but like you said, a team like Pittsburgh could afford to move a defense prospect to shore up their NHL blueline no problem.

Ballard has value, and as long as he continues to play like he has the 15 games I've seen him in a Canucks jersey, he'll be sought after.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  #609
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,790
vCash: 500
Zach Boychuk is on waivers. I'm not usually one to clamour over waiver fodder, but Boychuk is still an interesting prospect in my eyes. Here's a kid who was doing pretty much what you'd hope a future top-6 forward would do after being drafted then had a step back last season. This season he was a top forward in a competitive AHL though. This isn't like a Zach Hamill situation where a player just hasn't cut it to date.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks took a flyer on him. At worst he's probably a decent Andrew Ebbett replacement with some upside.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
  #610
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 7,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Zach Boychuk is on waivers. I'm not usually one to clamour over waiver fodder, but Boychuk is still an interesting prospect in my eyes. Here's a kid who was doing pretty much what you'd hope a future top-6 forward would do after being drafted then had a step back last season. This season he was a top forward in a competitive AHL though. This isn't like a Zach Hamill situation where a player just hasn't cut it to date.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks took a flyer on him. At worst he's probably a decent Andrew Ebbett replacement with some upside.
Perfect player for us. I've been mentioning him for a while.

ginner classic is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
  #611
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Zach Boychuk is on waivers. I'm not usually one to clamour over waiver fodder, but Boychuk is still an interesting prospect in my eyes. Here's a kid who was doing pretty much what you'd hope a future top-6 forward would do after being drafted then had a step back last season. This season he was a top forward in a competitive AHL though. This isn't like a Zach Hamill situation where a player just hasn't cut it to date.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks took a flyer on him. At worst he's probably a decent Andrew Ebbett replacement with some upside.
Wouldn't mind if they grabbed him. Pretty sure somebody else will land him though.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
  #612
Nuckles
Bim Jenning
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Zach Boychuk is on waivers. I'm not usually one to clamour over waiver fodder, but Boychuk is still an interesting prospect in my eyes. Here's a kid who was doing pretty much what you'd hope a future top-6 forward would do after being drafted then had a step back last season. This season he was a top forward in a competitive AHL though. This isn't like a Zach Hamill situation where a player just hasn't cut it to date.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks took a flyer on him. At worst he's probably a decent Andrew Ebbett replacement with some upside.
He's perfect for us, his favorite song is Riot by Three Days Grace.


If he has a hard time keeping a spot on the Hurricanes, I don't see how he could lock down a spot on the Canucks.

__________________
Richer's Ghost made my avatar

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
  #613
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
If he has a hard time keeping a spot on the Hurricanes, I don't see how he could lock down a spot on the Canucks.
Different system, different coaching staff. Sometimes being waived is what a player needs to wake up and make some changes.

Dale Weise was waived by the Rangers but has been a great 4th liner for us. Grabner was waived by the Panthers. Martin St. Louis wasn't waived but went through a similar situation.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
  #614
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,790
vCash: 500
The Hurricanes have the Staals and Jussi Jokinen down the middle on their top three lines. Not many prospects would crack that group and Boychuk doesn't really profile as what most teams want from their fourth line centre.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  #615
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,172
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Zach Boychuk is on waivers. I'm not usually one to clamour over waiver fodder, but Boychuk is still an interesting prospect in my eyes. Here's a kid who was doing pretty much what you'd hope a future top-6 forward would do after being drafted then had a step back last season. This season he was a top forward in a competitive AHL though. This isn't like a Zach Hamill situation where a player just hasn't cut it to date.

I wouldn't mind if the Canucks took a flyer on him. At worst he's probably a decent Andrew Ebbett replacement with some upside.
Wow, that's a reclamation project I'm definitely on board with.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
  #616
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Wow, that's a reclamation project I'm definitely on board with.
He will clear waivers. It seems that most players that hit the waiver wire that HF fans clamor over, do in fact clear waivers

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
  #617
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Is this from somewhere?! Dang I must have missed it.
I'm not sure it's huge interest, but as a top 4 guy, there has been interest on the main trade forum. A second+ sort of thing, not big packages, but better then a buyout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Nice work cogburn.

I have 2 minor issues:

If I know MG, Tanev will sign a deal very similar to Hansen's, I highly doubt he'll get to $1.5, unless we see considerable offense this season.

I'd put him in @ 1.2 x 2 years (the QO is under $1million).

Same issue with Schroeder. I believe MG likes to 'overcook' his prospects, because it keeps their 23-26 year old seasons very affordable, and their performance will likely outproduce their salaries.

Somewhere close to $1m for Schroeder, but I can't see it being to far over....probably a one year qualifier.

I don't think we would need to buy-out a single player, we don't have 'bad' contracts....Booth and Ballard are maybe underperforming their contracts, but like you said, a team like Pittsburgh could afford to move a defense prospect to shore up their NHL blueline no problem.

Ballard has value, and as long as he continues to play like he has the 15 games I've seen him in a Canucks jersey, he'll be sought after.
I agree the Tanev/Schroeder deals are on the high end, but I am anticipating higher output from them this year. If Tanev gets Hansen money, swell, but I'm hoping he performs very well and earns the extra.

Ballard could be bought out, but I'd rather trade him with the admittedly surprising interest from other fan bases (although that's probably based on the last 6 games). Booth we need I think though. We have no depth in our top six this year with Kesler and Booth out, and Higgins, Kassian, Scroeder and even Raymond or Hansen can't sustain their pace. I'm with you though, we don't have that one singular "bad" contract that has got to be deep sixed this off season, and frankly if we can keep everyone together, we will be a stronger force to deal with next season then a lot of former cap ceiling teams.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
  #618
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The Hurricanes have the Staals and Jussi Jokinen down the middle on their top three lines. Not many prospects would crack that group and Boychuk doesn't really profile as what most teams want from their fourth line centre.
From what I understand he mostly plays left wing, no? He just hasn't received nearly enough time to get his game going. Just look at this game log: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/playe...2&view=gamelog (6-7 minutes a game on average)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
He will clear waivers. It seems that most players that hit the waiver wire that HF fans clamor over, do in fact clear waivers
The media already reported that there's decent amount of interest in him.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
  #619
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,172
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
He will clear waivers. It seems that most players that hit the waiver wire that HF fans clamor over, do in fact clear waivers
Now you've got me thinking, how often do people get snagged on waivers? The only two I can think of off the top of my head are Weise and Thomas Hickey.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
  #620
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
From what I understand he mostly plays left wing, no? He just hasn't received nearly enough time to get his game going. Just look at this game log: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/playe...2&view=gamelog (6-7 minutes a game on average)
Ah, I just remember him being drafted as a centre and assumed that was still the case. The Canucks don't have much use for him then unless he can still play up the middle.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
  #621
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,201
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I definitely want to pick up Zach Boychuk. He's small so I'm not sure Gillis would go for him, but I think he has good talent and just needs a legitimate opportunity. Given our offensive problems he's a worthwhile gamble.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
  #622
edler von real gud
Registered User
 
edler von real gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,682
vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I definitely want to pick up Zach Boychuk. He's small so I'm not sure Gillis would go for him, but I think he has good talent and just needs a legitimate opportunity. Given our offensive problems he's a worthwhile gamble.
he is a much better option than ebbett or the collection of crap in Chicago that's for sure. we definitely need to put in a claim on boychuk as we aren't very deep in offensive talent at the moment.

edler von real gud is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  #623
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 22,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Ah, I just remember him being drafted as a centre and assumed that was still the case. The Canucks don't have much use for him then unless he can still play up the middle.
I think you still grab him if you can. It's not as if Andrew Ebbett has impressed. The possible upside is worth it, IMO, even if he can't play center anymore.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
  #624
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03
 
CalgaryCanuck03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I definitely want to pick up Zach Boychuk. He's small so I'm not sure Gillis would go for him, but I think he has good talent and just needs a legitimate opportunity. Given our offensive problems he's a worthwhile gamble.
Zach played with my brother in Midget. Would love to see him in a Canucks uniform. He's got good speed and if given the chance I think he could push Raymond (who despite his strong start points wise, is still too much of a perimeter player).

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  #625
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,172
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Zach played with my brother in Midget. Would love to see him in a Canucks uniform. He's got good speed and if given the chance I think he could push Raymond (who despite his strong start points wise, is still too much of a perimeter player).
You from Airdrie? I'm thinking about buying a house there!

#thisistotallyontopic

PRNuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.