HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any power forward prospects coming up?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
  #1
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,853
vCash: 410
Any power forward prospects coming up?

Just looking at the Flames prospects, if they pan out, will be a bit small. Lets say Backlund, at his peak is a 50-60 point centre. Then, there will be Bartschi, hopefully Gaudreau, and maybe Janks, Granlund, and Wahl.

The Flames will not be a terribly imposing team. Maybe the Habs of the last few years, best case scenario. I mean, Riley Cote could probably bench press all of those guys at the same time.

The Flames will need a big guy out there, a power forward to play on a line with Bart and whoever else to keep the other team honest. Who's coming up? Well, I'm being a bit biased. He doesn't need to be big, but he needs to be mean.

Ideally, Evander Kane would be my guy but that'll be over Chevy's cold, dead corpse. Am I overthinking this or does this need to be addressed in the future?

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  #2
Erka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Maybe if Flames pickup Aleksander Barkov in the 2013 entry draft, he plays in Finland, are 6'2" 205 lbs, he plays a physical game and makes a lot of points, 32 GP - 14 G - 14 A and only 4 PIM in the Finnish Elite League so far this season.

Erka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
  #3
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 50
I agree that we need someone like this, and that's why I had hopes for Ferland, and others liked Aliu. Looks like both might be long shots. Does Gary Roberts have a kid we can draft?

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
  #4
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,133
vCash: 0
Greg Nemisz?









Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
  #5
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,116
vCash: 50
Ferland is still a possibility, he's off to a slow start, but this is his first pro season as well. He's got the potential, if he makes it through a couple of years of adjustment.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
  #6
DBU
Bars for Eons
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,135
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Greg Nemisz?








Lol for days.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
  #7
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,816
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Just looking at the Flames prospects, if they pan out, will be a bit small. Lets say Backlund, at his peak is a 50-60 point centre. Then, there will be Bartschi, hopefully Gaudreau, and maybe Janks, Granlund, and Wahl.

The Flames will not be a terribly imposing team. Maybe the Habs of the last few years, best case scenario. I mean, Riley Cote could probably bench press all of those guys at the same time.

The Flames will need a big guy out there, a power forward to play on a line with Bart and whoever else to keep the other team honest. Who's coming up? Well, I'm being a bit biased. He doesn't need to be big, but he needs to be mean.

Ideally, Evander Kane would be my guy but that'll be over Chevy's cold, dead corpse. Am I overthinking this or does this need to be addressed in the future?
Seiloff

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  #8
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
The power forward is a dying breed in hockey of the true power forwards there are very few left as the game increases in speed and penalty's are called more often it is harder to be as effective playing as a power forward. I don't really care about getting big we just needed guys that aren't scared of physically regardless of their size.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
  #9
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The power forward is a dying breed in hockey of the true power forwards there are very few left as the game increases in speed and penalty's are called more often it is harder to be as effective playing as a power forward. I don't really care about getting big we just needed guys that aren't scared of physically regardless of their size.
I agree. And we have a 5'6" prospect who could prove that size and grit is less needed in today's NHL

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
  #10
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Only one we got us ferland

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
  #11
CalgaryFlames1240
Registered User
 
CalgaryFlames1240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Windsor
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
We have a bunch of gritty prospects. Just very few that I see having the potential to fill a top 6 role (let alone top 9.) I still think if everything goes right for Nemisz he still has 3rd line potential and Ferland I see still having a good chance to play in the top 9. Bouma is already a good 4th liner and the same argument could be made for Aliu. Byron is also not afraid to get into the dirty areas and I see him still becoming a 3rd liner with his speed. Not really an intimidating guy but guys who can hold their own and give it to the opposition.

CalgaryFlames1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  #12
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I agree. And we have a 5'6" prospect who could prove that size and grit is less needed in today's NHL
If we are talking about JG he is 5'9 now.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
  #13
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,816
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFlames1240 View Post
We have a bunch of gritty prospects. Just very few that I see having the potential to fill a top 6 role (let alone top 9.) I still think if everything goes right for Nemisz he still has 3rd line potential and Ferland I see still having a good chance to play in the top 9. Bouma is already a good 4th liner and the same argument could be made for Aliu. Byron is also not afraid to get into the dirty areas and I see him still becoming a 3rd liner with his speed. Not really an intimidating guy but guys who can hold their own and give it to the opposition.
Aliu + Ferland in the future would probably be enough grit.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
  #14
Unkki
Registered User
 
Unkki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Barkov is far from physical player, I mean power forward. It is his great hockey sense what makes him special. Of course he's big, but he's not going to be a power forward.

In my opinion the most interesting power forward with great hands is Valeri Nichuskin.


Last edited by Unkki: 01-08-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  #15
Money Baer
COYS
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 185
Interesting options in this years draft if we finish middle of the pack... Adam Erne comes to mind.

Other notables:
Mantha
Rychel

If we were picking 5 - 8 Monahan would have to be in consideration. Powerful C.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  #16
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,797
vCash: 50
Adam Erne would be SWEET. Plays RW too

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
  #17
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 132
Jankowski once he bulks up a bit more.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
  #18
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,790
vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
Barkov is far from physical player, I mean power forward. It is his great hockey sense what makes him special. Of course he's big, but he's not going to be a power forward.

In my opinion the most interesting power forward with great hands is Valeri Nichuskin.
Russians are banned from wearing a Flames uniform, pick someone else.


















Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
  #19
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,853
vCash: 410
The reason I favour a power forward over a grinder like Ferland or Aliu is that the power forwards tend to stick around. Sure, another McCarty would be nice but a player like that is replaceable. A Lucic doesn't come around very often.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:45 PM
  #20
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 751
Bill Arnold hasn't been mentioned yet. He plays an effective power game.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:54 AM
  #21
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
His name is escaping me but their is a center who is slated to go anywhere from 15-25 in the Q who is like 6'5" and putting up some impressive stats.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:15 AM
  #22
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
His name is escaping me but their is a center who is slated to go anywhere from 15-25 in the Q who is like 6'5" and putting up some impressive stats.
Frédérik Gauthier

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=128500

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
  #23
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
The reason I favour a power forward over a grinder like Ferland or Aliu is that the power forwards tend to stick around. Sure, another McCarty would be nice but a player like that is replaceable. A Lucic doesn't come around very often.
I agree with this. I want someone who can kickass, but the big thing is he has to be able to play minutes without being out of place.
We sure aren't going to intimidate anyone this year.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  #24
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Yes thank you. If somehow we make the playoffs or pickup another 1st I'd love to pick him up.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  #25
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,816
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Yes thank you. If somehow we make the playoffs or pickup another 1st I'd love to pick him up.
If we don't make the playoffs we will have plenty of 1sts, if you catch my drift.


Last edited by InfinityIggy: 01-10-2013 at 02:10 PM.
InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.