HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

House of Cards- Netflix Exclusive

Old
02-15-2014, 05:50 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

vCash: 500
Just finished episode 1 of season 2, wow just wow. Cant wait to see what happens the rest of the season.

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Bobo420

Just finished watching all 13 episodes, 5 yesterday and 8 today, very intense till the last episode. Great season, I think I'm gonna re watch the whole series now, not in two days however.

Bobo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:18 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
Just finished watching all 13 episodes, 5 yesterday and 8 today, very intense till the last episode. Great season, I think I'm gonna re watch the whole series now, not in two days however.
Damn dude, respect I should definitely be finished by tomorrow. Have 7 more to go. Watching one right now.

By the way, does anyone know if a certain picture of Kate Mara in this season is actually her, or a body double like they did for Mila Kunis in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' ?

I'm asking, um, for a friend....

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Stringer Bell

Definitely a body double/photo shop.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 03:20 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Definitely a body double/photo shop.
Figured as much. I'll let my friend know

Old
02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Not going to spoil…..didn't really like how they ended up where they ended up. One thing just begs you to believe something that makes no sense at all. Will wait a while for people to watch the whole season.

02-16-2014, 04:37 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Not going to spoil…..didn't really like how they ended up where they ended up. One thing just begs you to believe something that makes no sense at all. Will wait a while for people to watch the whole season.
Not sure which part you're referring to.

I think it made sense.

02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Sherlock007
Avs Fan

This and True Detective are one of the best TV for along time. It surpass the Original which, I have to say it is almost impossible.

Sherlock007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Bobo420

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Damn dude, respect I should definitely be finished by tomorrow. Have 7 more to go. Watching one right now.
I had the two days off before heading back to work so I took the opportunity to watch it all, I don't often do this type of thing but for House of Cards it was well worth it!

Old
02-16-2014, 05:24 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Did really someone mention The Newsroom and best show on television in the same sentence? It's this show, True Detective, Game of Thrones (if that's your thing).

Ending talk:

Spoil:
Not sure how I feel about the end either. Felt cliche, but inevitable. It was renewed for S3, so I assume that'll be the last one. Even if it's like 16 episodes. It just doesn't seem like he can be President for more than a few seasons, and then his downfall which we all know is coming.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Bobo420

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Did really someone mention The Newsroom and best show on television in the same sentence? It's this show, True Detective, Game of Thrones (if that's your thing).

Ending talk:

Spoil:
Not sure how I feel about the end either. Felt cliche, but inevitable. It was renewed for S3, so I assume that'll be the last one. Even if it's like 16 episodes. It just doesn't seem like he can be President for more than a few seasons, and then his downfall which we all know is coming.
Spoil:
Agreed, it did feel a little predictable, however the fun is how he gets there, how he masterfully manipulated everyone around him to get what he ultimately wanted at all cost, becoming president.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Hawkman

This forum just voted GoT, Harry Potter, and LotR as 3 of the 5 greatest novels of the 20th century. Anything related to crime, fantasy, sex, and violence will be overrated. Anything dealing with creative fields such as advertising or news/politics will be underrated.

02-17-2014, 02:40 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

That one scene in Episode 11... was not expecting that at all.

Uh... wow

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post

Uh... wow

Kind of a full season spoil/opinion:
Spoil:
I have no idea why they bothered tossing in some odd 3-some. Didn't advance anything and it was strange. We already knew that Frank & Claire weren't loyal and they already had an old body guard want to **** her so it just didn't add anything. It was a pointless couple minutes between themselves and the lesbian scene that followed.

I really hate them killing him off at the end of the season. It sets up a more predictable and disappointing downfall due to Rachel getting caught. Great season but it did kind of take a dip near the end.

Having the balls to kill Zoe in Ep. 1 was great. I was getting tired of her near the end of Season 1 anyways. I also dislike Lucas and would prefer they keep him out of Season 3 as well.

The person that should take down Frank is Jackie, just seems like a good and obvious storyline.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post

Uh... wow

About to hit play on the season finale. Honestly... I'm underwhelmed. I find myself looking at my television to check in on the Olympics quite a bit while the episode plays on my computer.

I'll post overarching thoughts after I finish the episode, I guess.

Old
02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Kind of a full season spoil/opinion:
Spoil:
I have no idea why they bothered tossing in some odd 3-some. Didn't advance anything and it was strange. We already knew that Frank & Claire weren't loyal and they already had an old body guard want to **** her so it just didn't add anything. It was a pointless couple minutes between themselves and the lesbian scene that followed.

I really hate them killing him off at the end of the season. It sets up a more predictable and disappointing downfall due to Rachel getting caught. Great season but it did kind of take a dip near the end.

Having the balls to kill Zoe in Ep. 1 was great. I was getting tired of her near the end of Season 1 anyways. I also dislike Lucas and would prefer they keep him out of Season 3 as well.

The person that should take down Frank is Jackie, just seems like a good and obvious storyline.
I've watched the whole thing.

People who have watched the original British series may have a hint of where they might be going with that first scene you're talking about. I have my suspicions and think it will make itself clear in upcoming seasons.

Excited to see what's next. Overall, doing a great job of transferring the story to fit the American system.

Last edited by Quo: 02-17-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: let's not ruin anything
Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:01 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
Spoil:
Agreed, it did feel a little predictable, however the fun is how he gets there, how he masterfully manipulated everyone around him to get what he ultimately wanted at all cost, becoming president.
Spoil:
I feel like he'll finish this term and his downfall will come during or after his re-election.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Ending talk:

Spoil:
Yep. Agree with most of you guys who say it was all pretty predictable. I didn't find the conflicts this season to be any or all that interesting. I mean, if Garrett could be taken down on what he was taken down on, just because Frances is the god almighty of manipulation - to assume no one in the government can find the least bit of HUGE dirt on Frances just makes me sick. He'll be taken down externally, I'm sure, but it'll come via Rachel getting caught, and the hacker. Not because another politician makes a power play. Another poster mentioned it will be Jackie, and I hope that's what happens.

I just... I don't know. Maybe I missed Kate Mara too much? I felt she was a really good counter-part to Frances, and they moved the storyline well together. Definitely a ballsy move (as another poster stated) to have her killed off in episode 1, but it felt like there was a hole the rest of the season. That conflict was more interesting than any this season.

Maybe I went through the season too fast? Perhaps that played to my disinterest at some points in the episodes? But all in all, consider me quite underwhelmed by season 2, after a fantastic premiere season.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
This forum just voted GoT, Harry Potter, and LotR as 3 of the 5 greatest novels of the 20th century. Anything related to crime, fantasy, sex, and violence will be overrated. Anything dealing with creative fields such as advertising or news/politics will be underrated.
I just think Newsroom is an incredibly bad, unrealistic show where Sorkin can mouth off on his pedestal. And the sad part is, I even agree with some of his stances. Plus the stupid and tired plot lines (the Jim and Pam thing), it was just not good. It had so much potential and it was a let down. I've got friends in news and they either love it or hate it.

Episode 11 talk:

Spoil:
I was reading on ******, and supposedly his bisexuality was hinted at during that Sentinel episode in S1. I must have missed that conversation or don't remember it. Then, there was a point where he quoted Oscar Wilde: "Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power." Either way, I still feel like it came out of left field, but I guess those who were paying closer attention didn't.

Ending talk:

Spoil:
I've also read that they were planning on 5-6 seasons. I thought at one point it was only going to be 2? I don't know how they can draw out 2 seasons of his presidency, 1 about a campaign, and 1 about a downfall, or some combination, and not get stale.

I don't think the downfall will have anything to do with Rachel. Or at least not directly. She seemed like she just wanted to get away and live a normal life. Maybe someone discovers her, but she's not going to go causing trouble. Maybe Gavin, maybe Goodwin/Hammerschmidt/other girl reporter. Somehow I think Christina will be involved.

Also don't think it'll be at the hands of a rival or coworker. Seems too obvious, and Frank has been played up as smarter than everyone and more tactical. It'll have to come from somewhere he's not looking, or from something he thought he's tied up.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Ending talk:

Spoil:
Yep. Agree with most of you guys who say it was all pretty predictable. I didn't find the conflicts this season to be any or all that interesting. I mean, if Garrett could be taken down on what he was taken down on, just because Frances is the god almighty of manipulation - to assume no one in the government can find the least bit of HUGE dirt on Frances just makes me sick. He'll be taken down externally, I'm sure, but it'll come via Rachel getting caught, and the hacker. Not because another politician makes a power play. Another poster mentioned it will be Jackie, and I hope that's what happens.

I just... I don't know. Maybe I missed Kate Mara too much? I felt she was a really good counter-part to Frances, and they moved the storyline well together. Definitely a ballsy move (as another poster stated) to have her killed off in episode 1, but it felt like there was a hole the rest of the season. That conflict was more interesting than any this season.

Maybe I went through the season too fast? Perhaps that played to my disinterest at some points in the episodes? But all in all, consider me quite underwhelmed by season 2, after a fantastic premiere season.
Spoil:
I disagree. Think of it as a set up season. Some things have to happen and they may seem boring, inconsequential or gratuitous but the possibilities now are tremendous. Think: what comes next? Where could they go from here? Characters are coming alive.

02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Spoil:
I wish Gavin was there for more than just Doug's death. Just such a meh big event, even though I'll miss Doug and wish they didn't kill him. It was dumb how they set it up for awhile with Gavin too.

I wish Gavin went to Lucas for revenge. Would have been a much better storyline

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

vCash: 50
I'm not going to use spoilers, anyone clicking this thread should assume spoilers will be present, a mod should edit the title mentioning that. It's been long enough, many will be done the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
The DP and lesbian sex weren't enough for you?

Anyways, I enjoyed this season although I admit in the middle it had it boring parts, if only to produce a background story. The ending was nice but perhaps a little rush. President Walker is a massive pushover, so I suppose his quick change of mind is viable. Does anyone know what happened to Christina, I know she got fired but she just disappeared, I miss her

I know Frank is the villain but I still find myself rooting for him. I liked Doug as well but he kind of went off the rails. Claire is a **** and extremely unlikeable, similar to Walt's wife in BB but for different reasons.

Looking forward to season 3, and what other people thought of this season.

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

Spoil:

I'll still use the tags for now until otherwise indicated. Who knows what other people's scheds are like?

Claire emerges from this season with a lot more depth.

Obviously a very troubled young lady when she was younger (with cause). That has a direct correlation to the woman she's become.

However, she had her moments of humanity this season where something approaching remorse for everything she's engaged in peaked through the cracks.

Case in point, that bit with Meagan (the marine violated by the same general as she was) where she broke right the heck down on the steps. Hit her right in the feels. She's become everything she's hated. Hard to feel sorry for her but that was nice to see.

Christina was pushed out by the first lady. She may have exited the stage quietly but she knows too much for that to be for good.

Doug is a better person than Frank, full stop. Ultimately he was out of his element, worn out. A weak reed though being weak when it comes to committing evil is not really weakness IMO. Not acting to stop it is and this was what pushed him over the edge I think. Though the character may not have clued in and tried to re-ingratiate himself to Frank it just wasn't what he was. His affection for Rachel proved his undoing. Tragic character. Frank has no time for affection.

Jacquie has the same weakness but it remains to be seen if she'll really be able to quell her conscience enough to go where Frank is taking her.

Was pleased with the reintroduction of crusty, old, by-the-book Tom Hammershmidt. Hoping that Skorsky gets her courage up eventually. Lucas is completely discredited, burnt, but he's not dead so can't be completely out of the picture.

Not sure what to think of hacker dude just yet. He's been pushed and manipulated and is obviously quite angry but a hard character to really like. "Pimply faced crusader" or some such is what he was described as. Just a pissed off kid but a dangerous one.

The tie in with Frank's family history was well done IMO. Got some foreshadowy feels from that but who knows? One thing I didn't get is the burial of FU's class ring and its replacement in the finale. Burying memories of a more innocent time to steel himself for what he had to do?

Jodie Foster directed one episode, forget which one. Good to see the names are attracted to this and the ball that Fincher set in motion hasn't suffered after his departure.

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:55 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
I know Frank is the villain but I still find myself rooting for him. I liked Doug as well but he kind of went off the rails. Claire is a **** and extremely unlikeable, similar to Walt's wife in BB but for different reasons.
How can you like Francis but hate Claire?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:25 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Spoil:
Wait, Christina got fired? I must have missed that. I know the first lady wasn't comfortable with her after what Claire said, but I don't remember her getting fired.

Also, no one thinks Doug was going to hurt Rachel, right? I'm pretty sure he was just going to take her to another safe house, further away, but he didn't have it in him to commit murder. He had something in his hand when she attacked him in the woods, but I don't think it was a gun. Probably a cell phone.

Jodie Foster did the Freddie episode I believe. It was okay, rushed and filler, but that's not on her. Just seemed a way to write him out. Would have preferred they split it up over several episodes, building up the relationship between him and his son. Give him a bit more than just "Okay, I'll get rid of the gun" followed by him acting like a lunatic in the next scene. I cared more about Freddie losing his business rather than any family dynamic. Felt like it was a bit of a missed opportunity to make Freddie a deeper character.