HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

House of Cards

Old
02-25-2014, 04:50 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I just think Newsroom is an incredibly bad, unrealistic show where Sorkin can mouth off on his pedestal. And the sad part is, I even agree with some of his stances. Plus the stupid and tired plot lines (the Jim and Pam thing), it was just not good. It had so much potential and it was a let down. I've got friends in news and they either love it or hate it.

Episode 11 talk:

Spoil:
I was reading on ******, and supposedly his bisexuality was hinted at during that Sentinel episode in S1. I must have missed that conversation or don't remember it. Then, there was a point where he quoted Oscar Wilde: "Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power." Either way, I still feel like it came out of left field, but I guess those who were paying closer attention didn't.

Ending talk:

Spoil:
I've also read that they were planning on 5-6 seasons. I thought at one point it was only going to be 2? I don't know how they can draw out 2 seasons of his presidency, 1 about a campaign, and 1 about a downfall, or some combination, and not get stale.

I don't think the downfall will have anything to do with Rachel. Or at least not directly. She seemed like she just wanted to get away and live a normal life. Maybe someone discovers her, but she's not going to go causing trouble. Maybe Gavin, maybe Goodwin/Hammerschmidt/other girl reporter. Somehow I think Christina will be involved.

Also don't think it'll be at the hands of a rival or coworker. Seems too obvious, and Frank has been played up as smarter than everyone and more tactical. It'll have to come from somewhere he's not looking, or from something he thought he's tied up.
But that's exactly what Rachel is though, something he thought he tied up.

I thought that the show was entertaining, but still not what it potentially could have been. It's more popcorn tv than meaningful. Spacey toned some of his affectations down this year for the better. A little more mealy-mouthed politician and less Southern queen.

Last edited by Doomsday Device: 02-25-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Watching the Season One Episodes right now. Liking it so far. Only seen two episodes so far but I'm liking the way that is going and Kate Mara is stunning.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Watching the Season One Episodes right now. Liking it so far. Only seen two episodes so far but I'm liking the way that is going and Kate Mara is stunning.
Stunning yes, but she became annoying as the season went on.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Watched 6 episodes so far. Loving the character development and the way that Frank works and thinks things out. Well written and thought out.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
This show sort of sucks. Frank is a combination Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, and Roy J. Plunkett (inventor of teflon, nothing sticks!) who lives in a world of hapless, naive pushovers.
I don't think this show sucks, but mainly because of the acting. For the rest, I totally agree with you. What I learned from this show is that the White House and the Congress are filled with gullible morons.

Spoil:
Season 2 is worse in this respect, even though the suspense is greater. At the end, the president falling for his pathetic letter was just laughable. Apparently the VP has individuals like Seth and Doug at his command, but the president is surrounded by imbeciles. By the way, why didn't Feng spill the beans on Underwood in the first place?

That being said, I am looking forward to Season 3. The acting and filming are top notch. Just wondering, am I alone in finding Underwood more contemptible than Heisenberg? I know, it is an unfair comparison....

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Great job with the spoiler tags guys, avoided the thread until I finished season 2.

Incredible show!

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Just finished the British trilogy last night. I see what a previous poster said when I asked about a comparison. The end of season 2 American gets you to the same place as the end of the House of Cards part of the trilogy.

Seeing it took 2 season to finish 1/3 of the British version, can we deduce that this will go 6 seasons?

The 2nd part of the British series has him unofficial going up against the King. Wonder how they will translate that to America? Perhaps Kevin Spacey's Francis will find opposition from a rich businessman with no political aspirations himself, but wants to see Underwood gone?

Lastly, why hasn't Francis Underhill been given a catch phrase like France Urquhart had? Apparently Ian Richardson became very well know for his, couldn't walk the streets without people asking him to say it, or hearing it said to him.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
TLinden
Benning gonnaBenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Just finished the British trilogy last night. I see what a previous poster said when I asked about a comparison. The end of season 2 American gets you to the same place as the end of the House of Cards part of the trilogy.

Seeing it took 2 season to finish 1/3 of the British version, can we deduce that this will go 6 seasons?

The 2nd part of the British series has him unofficial going up against the King. Wonder how they will translate that to America? Perhaps Kevin Spacey's Francis will find opposition from a rich businessman with no political aspirations himself, but wants to see Underwood gone?

Lastly, why hasn't Francis Underhill been given a catch phrase like France Urquhart had? Apparently Ian Richardson became very well know for his, couldn't walk the streets without people asking him to say it, or hearing it said to him.

TLinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
An obvious choice, but I was thinking a new character that we haven't met yet. Although either would work.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:54 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Wont read this thread until I'm done. Great show and Spacey is killing it.

Don't particularly care for him talking to the camera, prefer they went the narrator path. The main characters are a bit dimensional at times but that seems to be getting better.

Great show though. I hope they keep it going.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:41 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post

Don't particularly care for him talking to the camera, prefer they went the narrator path.
That is one of the best parts of the show. I think it clears up a lot of unnecessary "narrating" or the sort when he just shoots the camera a knowing kind of glance rather than doing a whole monologue about it.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
That is one of the best parts of the show. I think it clears up a lot of unnecessary "narrating" or the sort when he just shoots the camera a knowing kind of glance rather than doing a whole monologue about it.
I understand why but I still don't care for it. It's just a preference thing.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:29 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

I watched the 1st season, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't care for it. I found it slow and quite boring at times. Kate Mara was what kept my interest, but really other than that, it's just not for me.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:17 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Maharis View Post
I watched the 1st season, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't care for it. I found it slow and quite boring at times. Kate Mara was what kept my interest, but really other than that, it's just not for me.
Sometimes she uncannily resembled a baboon. It took me out of the show.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:34 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Sometimes she uncannily resembled a baboon. It took me out of the show.
A baboon? I don't see it.

Now if you said an elf...

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
If you get the chance, watch the British series. What the American series did in 26 hours, they did in 4.

Last edited by Stanley Foobrick: 03-19-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old
03-16-2014, 12:49 PM
invictus

Quote:
A baboon? I don't see it.

Now if you said an elf...
Maybe an elf and a baboon had a baby? haha. It isn't all the time, but from some angles, her forehead just said "hi, I am a baboon" to me.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
If you get the chance, watch the British series. What the American series did in 26 hours, they did in 4.
They purposely made the American version long, that's not a negative.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
They purposely made the American version long, that's not a negative.
Not according to this guy.

Quote:
British series is very focused, American story adds a lot of secondary stories and characters. Both are done well, both stories really don't have a lot in common other than the end game.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:49 AM
sheed36

House of Thrones (Game of Thrones meets House of Cards Parody)

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:20 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
House of Thrones (Game of Thrones meets House of Cards Parody)

That was so awesome.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 11:32 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

This show is awesome.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

just got done watching first two seasons. really awesome show

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Got done with the 1st 2 seasons. It's awesome and now I assume the downfall of Underwood will begin in season 3, especially considering Stamper's situation.

I get what some people are saying about Underwood and everything falling in to place but that's reality. People with power get away with it until they don't and Frank definitely has some baggage that will come back to haunt him.

As far as the President being a push over, not necessarily. He underestimated Frank and the extent of his revenge/manipulation after he passed him over.

Old
04-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Nullus Reverentia

I don't think they will have Underwood fall in season three. Expect five plus seasons so they won't do his downfall for years. They paid way too much for the series to end it after three.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote