HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2013 NHL "Around the League" Talk - Pt 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Saku11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Yakupov's celebration was a bit much IMO.
God, i hate him so much already..

Old
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
JTG

The Theo Fleury or the Patrick Kane

Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Yakupov's celebration was a bit much IMO.
It was, I think he just got caught up in the moment.

You would think they just won the Stanley Cup.

01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Florentino Ariza

I loved Yakupov's celebration. We need to see more of that kind of energy in hockey, although I will admit it IS a little douchey to pass by your teammates when they are waiting for you (the over the top celebrations I enjoy). He just got caught up in the moment.

Washington didn't just got booed, they got booed for a really long time and most of their "fans" left early.

Watching the Edmonton game makes me sad that their crowd is so good and the Pens crowd is so quiet. Even the Columbus Blue Jackets have a more exciting crowd and energizing atmosphere than we do.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
I didn't like Yakupov's celebration. To put things into context, I don't like celebrations at all, except when the goal warrants it: first NHL goal, game-tying goal in the dying seconds, game-winning goal, series clinching goal, Cup winning goal, etc. I can't stand "pre-programmed" celebrations like Brière's or Ovechkin's. I don't like it when guys go overboard to celebrate a goal. Act as you've been there before.

Yakupov's goal yesterday was certainly one of these occasions when an over the top celebration was acceptable. However, I didn't like that he skated away from his teammates as fast as he could and put the focus on himself. You want to jump up and down? You want to jump into the glass? Fine, but go to your teammates right after, don't put the spotlight on yourself. Yakupov didn't score that goal by himself, Schultz saved the clear at the blue line, he shot it, Hall did a great job to send the puck back to the net and Yakupov finished the play in a great way. That was a team play, celebrate as a team.

One other thing about Yakupov, I think it won't be long until he rubs his teammates the wrong way. I don't know if anyone else noticed that but during one of the late PPs, he stole the puck from Whitney in the Oilers zone. The look on Whitney's face was priceless. From that point on, Whitney didn't pass the puck to Yakupov even though he was in prime position, he didn't even look at him and kept the puck on the left side of the ice. That was stupid by Whitney, but I can't help but think that he was pissed off at Yakupov. The celebration after he scored certainly won't help his teammates like him more, especially not on a North American-heavy team like the Oilers.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Florentino Ariza

Agreed. I personally enjoy over the top celebrations, but not when they throw dirt in your teammate's faces.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Thanks.

I agree with some of the above.

I don't mind celebrations. Even over the top ones. But I don't care for celebrations in which you separate yourself from your teammates to grab a solo spotlight for yourself. I love soccer, but that it one thing I really dislike about the sport. That type of "look at me" celebration.

I will give Yakupov a bit of a break here, considering the circumstances. First NHL goal, a very important one in the game. But if he would continue to do so, then I would wonder about his attitude a bit. But yeah, probably caught up in the moment.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Meszaros injured for the Flyers.

Mustn't laugh at their injury problems.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Imagine that, a star player getting to play with a star linemate and they're looking dangerous. Good thing Sid's got his 'Hossa' equivalent in Kunitz and Dupuis.

according to some in the caps GDT, sid's elite linemates are why he outproduces ovechkin.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
I didn't like Yakupov's celebration. To put things into context, I don't like celebrations at all, except when the goal warrants it: first NHL goal, game-tying goal in the dying seconds, game-winning goal, series clinching goal, Cup winning goal, etc. I can't stand "pre-programmed" celebrations like Brière's or Ovechkin's. I don't like it when guys go overboard to celebrate a goal. Act as you've been there before.

Yakupov's goal yesterday was certainly one of these occasions when an over the top celebration was acceptable. However, I didn't like that he skated away from his teammates as fast as he could and put the focus on himself. You want to jump up and down? You want to jump into the glass? Fine, but go to your teammates right after, don't put the spotlight on yourself. Yakupov didn't score that goal by himself, Schultz saved the clear at the blue line, he shot it, Hall did a great job to send the puck back to the net and Yakupov finished the play in a great way. That was a team play, celebrate as a team.

One other thing about Yakupov, I think it won't be long until he rubs his teammates the wrong way. I don't know if anyone else noticed that but during one of the late PPs, he stole the puck from Whitney in the Oilers zone. The look on Whitney's face was priceless. From that point on, Whitney didn't pass the puck to Yakupov even though he was in prime position, he didn't even look at him and kept the puck on the left side of the ice. That was stupid by Whitney, but I can't help but think that he was pissed off at Yakupov. The celebration after he scored certainly won't help his teammates like him more, especially not on a North American-heavy team like the Oilers.
I think its hilarious that some 18 yr old freaking out because he just scored his 2nd NHL goal ever, in the dying seconds of a game after an emotional non-goal, causing a building of 18,000 to go absolutely nuts warrants this level of analysis, not to mention 3-4 separate articles on TSN...

Sports fans are a peculiar bunch

Old
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I generally dislike absurd celebrations unless the circumstance calls for it.

The circumstance called for it. Plus I can never hate the Fleury exalted knee-slide. Theo was one of my favorite players when I was a kid.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
I think its hilarious that some 18 yr old freaking out because he just scored his 2nd NHL goal ever, in the dying seconds of a game after an emotional non-goal, causing a building of 18,000 to go absolutely nuts warrants this level of analysis, not to mention 3-4 separate articles on TSN...

Sports fans are a peculiar bunch
Do you remember the dissection of the Sidney Crosby bumping against John Leclair on the Pen's bench video here on HF??? IRRC it was real big on the Flyers board and/or the Main boards. That was a sight.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Gross. Knuble is back in black and orange.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:06 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Jagr missing practice because of a stiff back. Getting old is a *****.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post

Jagr missing practice because of a stiff back. Getting old is a *****.
Thanks for always posting that Husker. Good stuff.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

What's the odds on Di Pietro getting injured tonight?

Old
01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Lucic drops Carkner.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

WTF. It's 6:22 cst and CI is still running their stupid music on DirecTV... anyone else having this problem?

Old
01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
WTF. It's 6:22 cst and CI is still running their stupid music on DirecTV... anyone else having this problem?
Game start at 8 EST, which should be 7 CST.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

New Jersey beating Washington. Gionta's first of the season through Neuvirth's 5 hole.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:32 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Game start at 8 EST, which should be 7 CST.
I'm not talking about Pittsburgh. I'm talking about the games that started at 6.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Strait looks to be doing well for the Isles.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

lol @ Lecavalier's daughter demanding he hold her during his ceremony.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Yakupov's celebration was awesome. It's not like he pulled some stupid NFL player ******** like Ovy has in the past. He basically did the same exact thing Theo Fleury did. Give the kid a break. It was the first huge goal of his career, let him enjoy it.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Looks like Washington will be going 0-4 unless they turn it around.

Closed Thread