HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Buyouts with new CBA

Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
monkeywork

vCash: 500
Buyouts with new CBA

If I understood correctly there will be 1 or 2 contracts each team is allowed to buy out without future cap hit associated correct? Could a team like Tampa do something like buy out Vinnies contract and then sign him for peanuts (since he is already getting the money from them) so they can keep him on their team but avoid the cap hit?

monkeywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywork View Post
If I understood correctly there will be 1 or 2 contracts each team is allowed to buy out without future cap hit associated correct? Could a team like Tampa do something like buy out Vinnies contract and then sign him for peanuts (since he is already getting the money from them) so they can keep him on their team but avoid the cap hit?
There haven't been any details but I would assume they could. There was talk of the Islanders re-signing Yashin last season when they are still paying his buyout. Ofcourse there was a cap hit associated with that buyout.

The issue with your scenario is Vinny could simply take the buyout and go sign with the Habs for way more than the "peanuts" the Lightning would give him.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Unless we hear any details to the contrary, I would assume that these buyouts would be treated similarly to the Compliance Buyouts in 2005 - the team was prohibited from resigning the player (or re-acuiring him by trade, waivers, etc) for a year (for the duration of the '05-'06 League Year).

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Nash

If a team isn't planning to use an amnesty buyout, I wonder if another team could trade them assets to take on a player they can buyout. Or alternatively, could a team retain 80% of salary in that trade, add in some lessor assets and have the other team still agree to buyout.

A team could really clean out contract errors quickly if the options are there.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If a team isn't planning to use an amnesty buyout, I wonder if another team could trade them assets to take on a player they can buyout. Or alternatively, could a team retain 80% of salary in that trade, add in some lessor assets and have the other team still agree to buyout.

A maximum of 50%/$3 million can be retained in a trade.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post

I'm waiting to see the leagues reaction when two teams reach an agree to switch players that want to go to the others team and instead of a trade amnesty buyout at 2/3 their players and the players sign for the missing 1/3.

Let's say hypothetically Luongo wanted to go to Tampa and Lecavalier wanted to go to van. Rather than trade, Tampa buyout Vinny and he signs for 2.5m/y. Luongo gets bought out and signs in Tampa for 2m per year.

They must have a plan for this. Maybe if you buyout you can't sign another teams buyout.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote