HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA Sacramento denies sale to Seattle group

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheHockeyFan View Post
If the Isles struggle in Brooklyn, and we have a new arena ready, they can just move here.
True, but that's only if the Islanders' 25-year lease magically disappears.

01-09-2013, 10:56 PM
DaveTheHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Dang, forgot about that

Old
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
GDAWG

So the NBA does not go the "Cleveland Browns" route with the Supersonics.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The deal was that Seattle and OKC would share the history, whatever that means, and Seattle would be able to use the name. IIRC, the banners are still in Seattle.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
derriko

I read on Realgm that OKC has power to keep their history by contract, and if Seattle wants it back, they would have to "share" it with OKC.

Now this is just mostly one persons interpretation to that 5 year relocation promise / contract deal or whatever, but thats ********. If SEA pays one penny to that mangy **** for our history back, ill rage. Within a day of the official annoucement of moving to Seattle, if the OKC management doesnt announce their giving the history back immediately, ill drive to Bennetts house and kick him in the nuts.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/10/510...#mi_rss=Sports
Sacramento mayor (and former NBA player) wants Maloofs to consider selling to local ownership group.

(Kinda hard when ARCO arena is falling apart and the local powers have not been able to come up with a workable new arena option.)

Old
01-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If this deal gets done, don't be surprised to see Sacramento in the running for an NHL team. That arena deal will still be there for a potential owner to make a go of it.
Yeah, that would work well.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If this deal gets done, don't be surprised to see Sacramento in the running for an NHL team. That arena deal will still be there for a potential owner to make a go of it.

Not happening. I lived in the Sacto area for 5 years (Davis) and hockey is virtually non-existent on every level in the area.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Not happening. I lived in the Sacto area for 5 years (Davis) and hockey is virtually non-existent on every level in the area.
I'm actually seeing more Sharks gear than Kings gear lately. The problem is that the Kings had middle of the pack attendance when they were making the playoffs, and bottom 3 when they were not (which explains my first sentence). Sacramento is a possibility (#26 in metro area w/ no other top-level team), but there are much better options right now.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sacramento is Sharks territory, fan wise (TV coverage too).

There would be territory indemnification due San Jose. (Cities are less than 90 miles apart as the crow flies.)

And with ECHL Stockton providing hockey interest less than 30 minutes from Sacramento, I don't see it.

(Maybe, maybe, if AHL team, and a Sharks affiliate....)

Old
01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I remember that game specifically because I was with my buddy who was a big basketball fan and kept telling me after the game that it was rigged for the Lakers. Then later the whole ref thing came out after and I found it pretty shocking.

Of course, he's one of those guys who throws out the rigging card a lot, but in this case it seemed to be true.

I posted the video awhile back, there's alot that can be found on Youtube.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/10/510...#mi_rss=Sports
Sacramento mayor (and former NBA player) wants Maloofs to consider selling to local ownership group.

(Kinda hard when ARCO arena is falling apart and the local powers have not been able to come up with a workable new arena option.)
my opinion little too late for KJ in trying to get a local group here and sounds like to me on the tone of the article its all denial. Just cause some source claim an offer been rejected or that an offer was never made doesn't mean thats actually true.

It also makes it very hard to know whats really happening cause non of us know what is going on during the talks between maloofs and hansen's group. So its hard to know whats being report is actually true or not.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The Coyotes had a 30 year lease that bankruptcy took care of.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
GDAWG

The Kings have until March 1st to get a deal done. That's the relocation deadline.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
The Kings have until March 1st to get a deal done. That's the relocation deadline.
No they don't. That's KJ saying that to the local media to make it look like they have a chance to keep the team. March first is the deadline that Hansen's group has to file relocation. The deadline is actually BOG meeting. Hansen can't file for relocation until NBA approved the sale of the kings to his group.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Wasn't that the playoff series where the Lakers got 55 free throws compared to like the Kings 20 in one playoff game, and the game was reffed by the guy who was ultimately busted for throwing games?
Yup, it was. One reason why, until this lockout, I thought Stern was a bigger sleaze then Bettman.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:50 PM
GDAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
No they don't. That's KJ saying that to the local media to make it look like they have a chance to keep the team. March first is the deadline that Hansen's group has to file relocation. The deadline is actually BOG meeting. Hansen can't file for relocation until NBA approved the sale of the kings to his group.
It's still not a done deal yet.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
It's still not a done deal yet.
Doesn't matter if its not a done deal as of now. Kj trying find a group of local folks to buy the kings this late is not gonna happen.

What should concern KJ is rather or not there is a deal between hansen and the maloofs at the BOG meeting which is the actual deadline. And i don't think the NBA wants to go through another 11th hour with Sacramento again.

KJ has months to build a local group to keep the team there in case the kings goes up for sale. And now he finds out realizes the team is actually up for sale and now is scrambling to find a local group. Sorry too late.

Last edited by gstommylee: 01-10-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Agreed. It looks like KJ is looking for his share of press time for the day. No chance of getting a local group together in time.

KJ just needs to make it look like in the end that he's done everything he can to keep the Kings in town as it will be on his watch. Being former NBA player add a little more salt in the wound.

IMO - No substance, just politics

Old
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Agreed. It looks like KJ is looking for his share of press time for the day. No chance of getting a local group together in time.

KJ just needs to make it look like in the end that he's done everything he can to keep the Kings in town as it will be on his watch. Being former NBA player add a little more salt in the wound.

IMO - No substance, just politics
More than Atlanta politicians did to try to keep the Thrashers in town, though.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
More than Atlanta politicians did to try to keep the Thrashers in town, though.
I'll give you that.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
NickWIHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Bad news for Milwaukee hockey fans that don't care about basketball. The Seattle team was always going to come down to the Bucks or Kings.

If the Bucks are gone Milwaukee opens up as a potential NHL site assuming they do a little renovations with the Bradley Center.
The Bucks will be the next NBA team to relocate imo. i'm not surprised that sacremento is being relocated, they barely avoided being moved last year, and since 2000 have sucked. they mirror the bucks pretty well since 2000. i'm glad for seattle that they are getting their supersonics back. as for sacremento they now are a relocation possibility. sacremento bucks anyone?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWIHockey View Post
The Bucks will be the next NBA team to relocate imo. i'm not surprised that sacremento is being relocated, they barely avoided being moved last year, and since 2000 have sucked. they mirror the bucks pretty well since 2000. i'm glad for seattle that they are getting their supersonics back. as for sacremento they now are a relocation possibility. sacremento bucks anyone?
Until the deal is finalized that maloofs are selling the kings to Hansen it may not happen. And with the maloofs being maloofs it could fall apart.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:

There would be territory indemnification due San Jose. (Cities are less than 90 miles apart as the crow flies.)

And with ECHL Stockton providing hockey interest less than 30 minutes from Sacramento, I don't see it.

The rule is 50 miles from the existing NHL cities corporate limits to the new arena - not 90. That said I don't think for a second that an NHL team would move to Sacramento.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

a Sharks affiliate already exists, didn't SJ partner w/ the SF Bulls (ECHL), LS, and the COMMONALITY of that is AFTER wht happened w/ Fresno going the NAHL route, and both the Bulls and Sharks began their history in the Cow Palace.

it's highly unlikely Worcester is going to let SVSE skate away FROM DCU as the Blues did w/ the Ice Cats landing in Peoria.

Closed Thread