HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA Sacramento denies sale to Seattle group

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The rule is 50 miles from the existing NHL cities corporate limits to the new arena - not 90. That said I don't think for a second that an NHL team would move to Sacramento.
True, but there would be overlap, ergo, indemnity payment due to Sharks.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
a Sharks affiliate already exists, didn't SJ partner w/ the SF Bulls (ECHL), LS, and the COMMONALITY of that is AFTER wht happened w/ Fresno going the NAHL route, and both the Bulls and Sharks began their history in the Cow Palace.

it's highly unlikely Worcester is going to let SVSE skate away FROM DCU as the Blues did w/ the Ice Cats landing in Peoria.
Indeed. As well as they'd be so geographically separate as to lose a lot of practice time in traveling, have much higher travel costs AND probably be required by AHL to pay subsidiary to support opponent travel to their location.

So, until AND IF there's a concerted effort (by the California/Pacific Division teams) to move a number of AHL teams west, "not gonna happen" (or highly unlikely to happen).

Old
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
gstommylee

Now we know why the kings have not been sold yet. 2 of the 3 brothers still want control after the sale.

No way the team is coming up here with the maloofs still in control (Seattle's MOU won't allow that) and no way a local buyer would want that either.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Once Hansen got the arena deal passed Bellevue is done. I get levin wanted to own the building as well, but he might have to be okay with just owning a team.
Will Levin want to pay rent?

That's often more a deal-killer than most people think. That's the primary reason I have doubts the NHL gets established in Seattle.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
PCSPounder

If playing in Sac's current arena, a LOT of renovations would be required to get Power Balance to even the arena alignment the Coyotes had in the Suns' building, never mind a true hockey-ready arena. It's a primarily basketball alignment there, the hockey alignment has some lousy sightlines in very wrong places.

Stockton draws pretty well for ECHL, and the arena isn't bad, though Stockton is way too close to ground zero of the housing bubble.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Will Levin want to pay rent?

That's often more a deal-killer than most people think. That's the primary reason I have doubts the NHL gets established in Seattle.
Both NBA/NHL teams will be paying rent. The city/county will own the arena. Not sure why people are missing out on this key detail. We will get a team at some point once the arena gets built.

Seattle NHL owner to be is essentially getting a free arena so i don't see why paying rent is an issue.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Both NBA/NHL teams will be paying rent. The city/county will own the arena. Not sure why people are missing out on this key detail. We will get a team at some point once the arena gets built.

Seattle NHL owner to be is essentially getting a free arena so i don't see why paying rent is an issue.
Hmmm... http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/media/P...Principles.pdf

If there's an updated agreement, please tell me.

- The city will buy the "site" from "ArenaCo." The building? Not specified, which tells me something. BTW, Rose Garden is similar; most of the property belongs to the city of Portland, but Paul Allen owns the building. Therefore, Allen only pays property tax on the building, not the land.

- ArenaCo will lease from the city.

Almost everything in this document reads more like Hansen has managing rights and less like NBA and NHL are co-partners. That doesn't mean the NHL is completely blocked; that's up to Hansen's good graces and, maybe, their ability to sell "whole ball of wax" luxury suites rather than make them sport-specific. I think it's more of an open question; one that gives the NHL pause for thought.

Speaking of pause for thought: of the expansion teams from San Jose on, only Atlanta and Florida shared NHL with NBA in the same building. The Panthers got a new arena, and we know what eventually happened to Atlanta. My point: what most people considered a "Southern Strategy" could also be considered getting buildings the NHL team controls. I don't think that factor can be ignored, even now.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Seattle is getting a NHL. Why? Solo tenant would not fit the arena business model + 80 million.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Jax1166

1) SO how likely is it the Kings move?

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Agreed. If the Kings do relocate here the NHL following soon is inevitable.
Why?
I would think this lessons the chances of a Seattle NHL team.

A. Seattle has a winter sport now if they get an NBA team, so less desperation for the NHL
B. Who to move? Too late for Phoenix.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post

2)

Why?

A. Seattle has a winter sport now if they get an NBA team, so less desperation for the NHL
The arena being built is dependent on an NBA team coming: No NBA team = No arena. Therefore landing an NBA team is the ONLY way an NHL team is coming to Seattle.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
If playing in Sac's current arena, a LOT of renovations would be required to get Power Balance to even the arena alignment the Coyotes had in the Suns' building, never mind a true hockey-ready arena. It's a primarily basketball alignment there, the hockey alignment has some lousy sightlines in very wrong places.

Stockton draws pretty well for ECHL, and the arena isn't bad, though Stockton is way too close to ground zero of the housing bubble.
Power Balance no longer holds the naming rights to what originally was ARCO Arena, Sleep Train is the current sponsor of the Kings' Arena, named after a Mattress Supercenter in CA, NV, OR & WA.... that agreement has been in place since Mid October of 2012, PCSPounder

Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Depends on how insane the maloofs want to be in negotiations.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Blue Regime

Quote:

2)

Why?

Expansion, along with Quebec.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:54 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

2)

Why?

1) Like Adiran Woj says..its 1st and goal at the 1. Sounds like 95-99%

2)No way this lessens seattle's chance. It is not about desperation for the NHL, it is about tapping the corporate dollars and TV market that the NHL would capture in the Northwest. Arenas in major cities need two tenants to be a viable proposition. Also the Seattle area NHL would be able to have a large area of population to draw from, not to mention Seattle is about a 2 hour drive from South Vancouver metro area, easier ticket to get as well (Apparently canadians like to come down and shop at the outlet malls etc since there is a surcharge to buy things in Canada (Even though the Canadian/US dollar are about equal)

B) The who to move? Who knows, some team will pop up that is struggling financially.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:19 AM
NHL Hartford

If the Bucks relocate from Milwaukee how about a Milwaukee Bucks NHL team?

Old
01-11-2013, 05:11 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Never going to happen as long as they don't get a new arena.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
1) Like Adiran Woj says..its 1st and goal at the 1. Sounds like 95-99%

2)No way this lessens seattle's chance. It is not about desperation for the NHL, it is about tapping the corporate dollars and TV market that the NHL would capture in the Northwest. Arenas in major cities need two tenants to be a viable proposition. Also the Seattle area NHL would be able to have a large area of population to draw from, not to mention Seattle is about a 2 hour drive from South Vancouver metro area, easier ticket to get as well (Apparently canadians like to come down and shop at the outlet malls etc since there is a surcharge to buy things in Canada (Even though the Canadian/US dollar are about equal)

B) The who to move? Who knows, some team will pop up that is struggling financially.
Just to make a precision...it's not a surcharge, it's TAXES, oh damned taxes.

BTW what and how is it too late for Phoenix ? The team is still under NHL ownership and it certainly does not look like the potential owner will ever show up with money to actually buy the team. It's too late for a 48 games season, but hey who cares anyway, I doubt people in Seattle are ready to take the team next week (hint I doubt they are ready to take an NBA team on such a short notice aswell). So, having an NBA and NHL team in September is far from being too late.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Just to make a precision...it's not a surcharge, it's TAXES, oh damned taxes.

BTW what and how is it too late for Phoenix ? The team is still under NHL ownership and it certainly does not look like the potential owner will ever show up with money to actually buy the team. It's too late for a 48 games season, but hey who cares anyway, I doubt people in Seattle are ready to take the team next week (hint I doubt they are ready to take an NBA team on such a short notice aswell). So, having an NBA and NHL team in September is far from being too late.

(Like CDs, Books etc), how they always state US 7.99 Canada 9.99

So its cheaper, From what I've heard many Canadians like to come down to the outlet malls and shop. I can see folks coming down from Burnaby, South Vancouver, stop at the outlet malls, shop, then head another hour or so south and go to a hockey game.

Where did I say it was too late for Phoenix???

Old
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
gstommylee

Now the rumored price is at 525m and maloofs are completely out of the picture.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
A Buck-less Milwaukee's probably still below Quebec City, Seattle, Portland, and Houston, though....

Old
01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Now the rumored price is at 525m and maloofs are completely out of the picture.
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/1...s-deal-is-done

25 million to get rid of the Maloofs. Fine with me.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/1...s-deal-is-done

25 million to get rid of the Maloofs. Fine with me.
Personally i wouldn't really read whats on sactownroyalty. I don't believe a darn word coming out any sac newspaper.

This morning the sac bee said they didn't spoke to chris since xmas and then saying that Seattle reports (seattle times who is anti arena) that no offer has even been made etc.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Personally i wouldn't really read whats on sactownroyalty. I don't believe a darn word coming out any sac newspaper.

This morning the sac bee said they didn't spoke to chris since xmas and then saying that Seattle reports (seattle times who is anti arena) that no offer has even been made etc.
Is there a different article with this guys info? That is the only one I found.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Is there a different article with this guys info? That is the only one I found.
https://twitter.com/MSteinmetzCSN/st...86204034052096

Apparently the source was a golden state warrior employee.

My point was that Sac bee has been complete denial of said deal to the point of even being dishonest about whats going on. Ie no offer no talk since Christmas.

edit

http://www.kcra.com/sports/Comcast-S...#ixzz2Hh3094Oc

Old
01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
gstommylee

Matt Steinmatz on 95.7 the game says its signed and inked.

Closed Thread