HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA Sacramento denies sale to Seattle group

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
PCSPounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
A Buck-less Milwaukee's probably still below Quebec City, Seattle, Portland, and Houston, though....
Disagree. A Bucks-less Milwaukee jumps over Portland certainly (Paul Allen still believes he bought "market certainty" when he + investors privately funded the Rose Garden; Portland Timbers have made inroads, Allen doesn't want a divided pie). I tend to think, given the Rockets control of their building, that Milwaukee would jump Houston, but the size of the Houston market should be considered.

Again, I mentioned "market certainty" with Paul Allen. Why did the Maloofs play a game with Virginia Beach? They would be THE team there. That's actually why Quebec is at the top of this list. Milwaukee would contend with the Brewers and probably the Packers, but in business terms only the Brewers snag luxury suites away. It's the same mix as Seattle sans the Sounders. It's possible I'd put Milwaukee over a Sonics-infused Seattle.

One mitigating factor: I think the Blackhawks would just as soon keep NHL out of Milwaukee, while Vancouver would kill to have Seattle nearby.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Disagree. A Bucks-less Milwaukee jumps over Portland certainly (Paul Allen still believes he bought "market certainty" when he + investors privately funded the Rose Garden; Portland Timbers have made inroads, Allen doesn't want a divided pie). I tend to think, given the Rockets control of their building, that Milwaukee would jump Houston, but the size of the Houston market should be considered.

Again, I mentioned "market certainty" with Paul Allen. Why did the Maloofs play a game with Virginia Beach? They would be THE team there. That's actually why Quebec is at the top of this list. Milwaukee would contend with the Brewers and probably the Packers, but in business terms only the Brewers snag luxury suites away. It's the same mix as Seattle sans the Sounders. It's possible I'd put Milwaukee over a Sonics-infused Seattle.

One mitigating factor: I think the Blackhawks would just as soon keep NHL out of Milwaukee, while Vancouver would kill to have Seattle nearby.
Na portland would be better than Milwaukee especially if Seattle gets a team. Then you get a 3 way rivalry. Portland and Seattle hate each other. That would be huge for NHL.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
gstommylee

No comment from both parties per @chrisdaniels5

Old
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Sorry, but that's a reach. If Allen said he wanted a team today, Portland would get a team tomorrow. He's that attractive, and wealthy, of an owner. And what divided pie? Allen already owns the arena and the Trail Blazers, plus the MLS and NHL seasons don't overlap very much, so not seeing a bleeding affect there.

As for Virginia Beach, either that was just media nonsense or the Maloofs were floating a potential relocation site as a scare tactic to get more out of Sacramento or, more likely, raise the asking price for the team down the road for sale. Virginia Beach doesn't have a viable arena for the NBA, so they're likely at least five years away from being ready for a team, assuming they start now and everything goes perfectly, which means their window of opportunity doesn't open until the Kings situation is already settled.

Finally, the Bradley Center needs renovations, and much of that work has stalled, whereas Quebec City's already getting a new arena, Seattle's seemingly on the verge of getting a new arena, Portland's arena is either ready or needs milder renovations (with a much wealthier owner, too), and Houston already has a ready arena.

The cards just aren't lining up in favor of Milwaukee getting a team any time soon.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
gstommylee

No comment from NBA per Chrisdaniels

Old
01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Matt Steinmatz on 95.7 the game says its signed and inked.
Also that it will be made public next week correct?

Old
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Also that it will be made public next week correct?
I haven't heard regarding when it'll be made public.

edit

Rob McAllister ‏@Rob_McAllister
NBA spokesman has no information on any possible deal with Maloofs & Seattle. Says nothing has been turned into league that he knows of.

I'll be honest i have no idea what is going on anymore.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:07 PM
gstommylee

@Rob_McAllister
On @CBSSports1140 @MSteinmetzCSN says Maloofs shopped deal to other bidders and then Hansen offered $525 mil to close it

Old
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If true, have a hard time imagining the Maloofs turning down $525 million.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
If true, have a hard time imagining the Maloofs turning down $525 million.
Even if they attempted to turn it down Hansen would up it again. I think if it wasn't leaked out i don't think there would been any other bidders.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
DyerMaker66

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/09...bettmans-radar

Seattle is second in the "What city would you like to see get an NHL team?" fan poll that follows the article, trailing QC by 2 per cent.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post

Seattle is second in the "What city would you like to see get an NHL team?" fan poll that follows the article, trailing QC by 2 per cent.
Well, Quebec City is a no-brainer.....or at least it SHOULD be.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Well, Quebec City is a no-brainer.....or at least it SHOULD be.
I agree; I didn't mean it as a put-down.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I agree; I didn't mean it as a put-down.
I didn't take it as one

Old
01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
gstommylee

Now its not a done deal there are now at least two groups come forward that want the kings

Dale Kasler
‏@dakasler
More “local” bidders surfacing for #NBAKings incl Sleep Train’s CEO and 24-hour Fitness founder

Rob McAllister
‏@Rob_McAllister
Former Kings executive Greg Van Dusen says his investor group will continue to pursue team. Will make a qualifying offer to NBA.

This really ticks me off about the media. Done deal, not done deal done deal not done deal good grief.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
gstommylee

hmmm perhaps it is done after all.

David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick
Steve Pyeatt of Save Our Sonics says sources tell him Hansen deal for #NBAKings is more than handshake, it’s on paper.

David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick
Pyeatt won’t name sources but says they’ve never been wrong before. #NBAKings

Old
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Sorry, but that's a reach. If Allen said he wanted a team today, Portland would get a team tomorrow.
The point is that Allen doesn't want NHL in Portland... unless the city subsidizes NHL. BTW, the subsidy was proposed years ago, and is a politically serious non-starter in Portland.

I do think the NHL would do well in Portland. Possibly "as well" as Milwaukee. EXCEPT... Portland just doesn't have the corporate base to run two majors simultaneously. (Actually, it does, but Nike won't even touch pro sports beyond its current interests, and Phil Knight NEVER AGAIN will touch pro ownership... and adidas doesn't seem keen on helping the local hockey scene at all)

If Allen succumbs to current ailments (I was just reminded that a friend of mine, who has an unfortunate eye for such things, mentioned early this week that Allen is looking very rough), the Timbers owner may be the head of a consortium purchase of the Blazers, and his track record doesn't necessarily suggest NHL participation. If Bill Gallacher ends up involved, I won't know what to think, but I hear from one source that the NHL took a dim view of his dealings with the Winterhawks.

Also, disclaimer... I did say "Bucks-less" Milwaukee.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
gstommylee

Looks like there was nothing to it regarding my previous post.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Looks like there was nothing to it regarding my previous post.
What do you mean?

Old
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
What do you mean?
Comment on sonicsrising.com by Brian Robinson arenasolutions guy.

He commented saying Twitter isn't a source. I'm guessing that source was the SF bay guy that mention about the 525m offer and said it was done and inked.

All we know is there's a 525m offer out there and maloofs are out. What we don't know is rather it was actually written on paper or not.

We will find out next week if there is any truth that the 525m offer by hansen that its a done deal as in announced.

Last edited by gstommylee: 01-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 08:30 PM
derriko

Quote:

Considering the website the poll was on, yet Seattle was only down 2% is incredible. If it was on ESPN or something like that based in America, Sea would be making a killing.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Considering the website the poll was on, yet Seattle was only down 2% is incredible. If it was on ESPN or something like that based in America, Sea would be making a killing.
Exactly. Always look at what the site is when doing polls.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Many Western-Canadians want a team in Seattle for proximity/travel purposes. Also, unfortunately, there's many anti-Quebecers in the country. So take the 2% with a grain of salt. It's not exactly a US vs Canada poll.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Seems to just be rehashing and rumors of a deal.

So, we'll lock this thread and when there is a finalized deal announced (with MSM link, not just twitter post) a new thread can be opened.

Closed Thread