HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks pursuing re-signing Vandermeer (Signed with Canucks)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
  #76
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 18,233
vCash: 50
Vancouver is signing every 7-8 dman to add to their growing collection.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
  #77
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,410
vCash: 567
I'm really looking forward to a Vandermeer-Barker pairing. I imagine James Sheppard is too.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
  #78
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Saw this coming. Vandy and his wife moved to Vancouver at the end of last season, so they probably didnt want to move back, especially given how he was used last season.

Iron Chef is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
  #79
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season... White had a crap year learning a crap system in the D zone. I watched him play for years in NJ and he was above average most years. Moving to the west coast wasn't a good fit for him. This board always tries to find a scape goat for all that ails the team when more often than not it's more complex than simply blaming one or 2 players.
Responding to an old post. I agree with your general opinion of White having an off-year and that he had to play in a crap system, but man you have to get off your high-horse of "I know how to play hockey so my opinion holds greater weight". Since when does not knowing how to skate make you unable to judge a hockey player. Is Peter Laviolette a lousy head coach because he never scored an NHL goal? Biased or not, Colin White had an awful year last year. Even a US Olympian (Bret Hedican) practically said "Colin White sucks" in a number of post-game reports.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
  #80
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Responding to an old post. I agree with your general opinion of White having an off-year and that he had to play in a crap system, but man you have to get off your high-horse of "I know how to play hockey so my opinion holds greater weight". Since when does not knowing how to skate make you unable to judge a hockey player. Is Peter Laviolette a lousy head coach because he never scored an NHL goal? Biased or not, Colin White had an awful year last year. Even a US Olympian (Bret Hedican) practically said "Colin White sucks" in a number of post-game reports.
I have played a lot of hockey in my life (though I do not currently play) and I am quite confident Colin White was terrible last year. There is a good reason NJ bought him out.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
  #81
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,823
vCash: 163
good ... I want to see some of our young guys get a shot

Nighthock is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
  #82
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season... White had a crap year learning a crap system in the D zone. I watched him play for years in NJ and he was above average most years. Moving to the west coast wasn't a good fit for him. This board always tries to find a scape goat for all that ails the team when more often than not it's more complex than simply blaming one or 2 players.
if you don't like the "biases" of this board, you're more than welcome to find a board that suits you better. And pulling the "you didn't play the game, ergo you're not fit to judge it" bit is crap.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to not be harassed or harangued personally for it. Attack the post, not the poster.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
  #83
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol
 
Ninja Hertl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Yay
Country: United States
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
if you don't like the "biases" of this board, you're more than welcome to find a board that suits you better. And pulling the "you didn't play the game, ergo you're not fit to judge it" bit is crap.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to not be harassed or harangued personally for it. Attack the post, not the poster.
i disagree here. he's not attacking anyone specifically but rather pointing out a certain hivemind mentality that exists... which could be argued to be true.

also - actually playing the game does give you a different appreciation and understanding of the game, no matter how small it is. not sure why that is so outrageous?

Ninja Hertl is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
  #84
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
i disagree here. he's not attacking anyone specifically but rather pointing out a certain hivemind mentality that exists... which could be argued to be true.
The comment was:

Quote:
This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season...
that was a direct commentary on a group of users of the board. Under the site rules, blanket attacks are attacks all the same. And there was no hivemind assertion. No mention was made about the bias being contagious or people thinking in lockstep just because the majority does.

Quote:
also - actually playing the game does give you a different appreciation and understanding of the game, no matter how small it is. not sure why that is so outrageous?
No one will likely dispute that greater familiarity with the game by having played it is advantageous, the comments carried the air of "if you can't play the game, your argument is invalid/inconsequentual" and that's wrong. Every poster on here, regardless of their hockey experience, is permitted to provide there own analysis or commentary on whatever they'd like. If you believe that their assessment is wrong, point out why and counter it that way. Don't respond with "You don't know what you're talking about because you never played the game."


But really, this isn't something that's supposed to be argued publicly. If anyone has any other issues with what I said or with this issue, they can PM a mod.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:21 AM
  #85
RainbowDash
20% Cooler
 
RainbowDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Equestria
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Well, my assessment of Colin White was that he was certainly better then Wallin's awful play and made less mistakes then Huskins did.

However, in the end, he was still bad here and definitely did not outplay Vandermeer.
We should have just resigned Ian White instead of signing White & Vandermeer.

RainbowDash is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
  #86
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokencow View Post
I'm on the dump Wallin bandwagon as much as the next guy due to his poor seasonal play but I seem to remember he was actually good those playoffs, is my memory broken?
It's one of those cases where you get so used to beyond ****** play that not so ****** but still kinda ****** play looks good in comparison.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
  #87
DarrylshutzSydor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Country: Palestine
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I have played a lot of hockey in my life (though I do not currently play) and I am quite confident Colin White was terrible last year. There is a good reason NJ bought him out.
Similarly, there's a reason that Vandameer has not stuck with a team and has not been able to nail down a spot as a 5-6 defenseman. Which brings me back to the question, why would you want a below average defenseman who is smallish and can't fight? I can't wait to see him play as a pylon for the Canucks.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.