HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs prospects leave imprint

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Leafs prospects leave imprint

Since most hockey types figure any eventual collective bargaining agreement likely will post restrictions on the payrolls of NHL teams, the ability to develop prospects becomes more vital than in the past.

In that regard, Ferguson was asked to name some of the Baby Leafs who have taken significant strides this season.

- Kyle Wellwood (25 goals, 38 assists, 63 points; plus 15): The diminutive forward is showing that big numbers can come from small packages. "His production, combined with his two-way play, has been notable," Ferguson said.

- Ian White (4-16-20, plus-16): "He might not be the biggest guy, but he has really carried the load as a first-year defenceman," Ferguson said. "He has played a lot of minutes and shown good composure."

- Carlo Colaiacovo (3-14-17, minus-1): Despite a hip injury, defenceman accompanied the team on its three-game trip through the American midwest and might return to the lineup in either Chicago, Grand Rapids or Milwaukee. "He has had some bad luck with injuries but has made some nice advances," Ferguson said. "His competitiveness has been noticed, not just by us but by others, too."

Full Story :

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...42179-sun.html

Old
02-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
"His competitiveness has been noticed, not just by us but by others, too."
Trade chip?

Old
02-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Leaf Army

Nice comments to hear from Ferguson.

I'm glad to see he made a point of mentioning Ian White. He's a guy that if Quinn was still GM would never even get a sniff in Toronto. Hopefully Ferguson will bring a fresh outlook and give guys like White just as much chance of making the team as Quinn gave guys like Chris McAllister.

Very interesting where Ferguson hints that Marc Moro might be given a shot at making the big team.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:18 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

I'm glad to see he made a point of mentioning Ian White. He's a guy that if Quinn was still GM would never even get a sniff in Toronto. Hopefully Ferguson will bring a fresh outlook and give guys like White just as much chance of making the team as Quinn gave guys like Chris McAllister.

Very interesting where Ferguson hints that Marc Moro might be given a shot at making the big team.
Then why would Quinn draft him then?

Old
02-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob
Then why would Quinn draft him then?
Quinn didn't really draft him. Barry Trapp did.

When Quinn says that Nathan Dempsey (6.00, 190) is traded because he's too small, you know that he's not going to give White a fair chance.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Frankie

sounds like carlo is prime trade bait. why else would jfj say that other people have noticed him?

funny that he talks about moro being given a shot. the brainiacs here think moro sucks.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:47 PM
emillie

I don't think John Ferguson is looking or thinking about trading Colaiacovo. Didn't he have an oppertunity to trade him for Gonchar last season? Why would he walk away from that deal only to move Carlo later on down the road?

Old
02-26-2005, 10:38 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:

When Quinn says that Nathan Dempsey (6.00, 190) is traded because he's too small, you know that he's not going to give White a fair chance.
and yet soft Kaberle has been a Leaf for years

as for those who say Cola is trade bait now, that's bull. no way do the Leafs let him go.. all JFJ is saying is that other teams have shown interest in him..

Old
02-26-2005, 11:38 PM
richardn

Quote:

I can see Moro taking the empty spot of Marchment in the near future and Carlo taking Leetch's spot when he re sighn's with the Rangers. Here is my guess of the Leaf's defence pairings for next season.

McCabe - Kaberle
Pilar - Klee
Colaiacovo - Berg or Moro

White and Bell still need some more seasoning before given a decent shot in my opinion.

Old
02-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I can see Moro taking the empty spot of Marchment in the near future and Carlo taking Leetch's spot when he re sighn's with the Rangers. Here is my guess of the Leaf's defence pairings for next season.

McCabe - Kaberle
Pilar - Klee
Colaiacovo - Berg or Moro

White and Bell still need some more seasoning before given a decent shot in my opinion.
Stajan, Carlo, Wellwood, Telly, Ling , Wilm, will also be joining Moro next year ..

Old
02-26-2005, 11:47 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Stajan, Carlo, Wellwood, Telly, Ling , Wilm, will also be joining Moro next year ..
You forgot Aubin .

Old
02-27-2005, 06:49 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
You forgot Aubin .
And he spelled Ling wrong, it's spelled K-U-K-U-M-B-E-R-G.

Old
02-27-2005, 07:38 AM
emillie

The Messenger: I agree with your list except for Wellwood and Ling. I think both of them will be with the AHL for a long time.

Old
02-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
And he spelled Ling wrong, it's spelled K-U-K-U-M-B-E-R-G.
Actually no those were just the AHL guys ....

I sent out a separate memo summoning Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Pilar, Steen, Kukumberg, Tenkrat, and Kronwall to fill out the Maple Leafs Roster ..

The leafs will only have 8 players under contract next season .. Sundin, Nolan, Tucker, Stajan, McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Belfour and 36.5 Mil dollars allocated..

So if the Cap is 42.5 Mil as suggested now that means 15 more players need to be signed for about $ 6 Mil total which means each player needs to be accepting between $ 350 - 450 thousand max to play.

Thus the Shout Out for all hands on deck .. Anyone who can hold a hockey stick is requested to be in camp and ready to go.

I have a real hard time picturing what this next NHL is going to look like when we start up again .. lets just hope for Leaf Fans sake we win the draft lottery and Crosby is one of those guys the dresses..

Or lets make Sure Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, and Eric Fehr are signed quickly as UFA, since we can guarantee them all instant NHL jobs.

Sadly even with all those and the AHL guys as well from the previous post Leafs are still 2-3 warm bodies short of an NHL roster..

.. and lucky Leafs are a very healthy team because we can't afford any injuries, because we will not have Cap room ..

Last edited by Mess: 02-27-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old
02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Didn't McCabe sign a 1 year deal? Or are the contracts carried over?

Old
02-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY
Didn't McCabe sign a 1 year deal? Or are the contracts carried over?
Nope he signed a Multi-year Deal last summer ..

As Per TSN : http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.a...87&hubname=TOR

05-Aug-04:Re-signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs to a two-year contract.

Old
02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You mean Quinn actually came up with a reason to dump Dempsey?

I didn't think he felt obligated to justify a decision. He just never liked Dempsey or Stevie Sullivan, or that defenseman that came over with Sullivan for Douggie that Quinn didn't like and gave away to Edmonton (name escapes me, but it was a common name - Smith?).

Old
02-27-2005, 10:55 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
You mean Quinn actually came up with a reason to dump Dempsey?

I didn't think he felt obligated to justify a decision. He just never liked Dempsey or Stevie Sullivan, or that defenseman that came over with Sullivan for Douggie that Quinn didn't like and gave away to Edmonton (name escapes me, but it was a common name - Smith?).
You can't be getting that old? Jason Smith.

Old
02-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Pappy

I really wonder about Fergy

To bring up a guy like Moro is an insult to Leaf fans who actually follow the game of hockey, he's too slow footed to be effective in the AHL, I guess you can get away with it to pedestrian fans and children but not on HF's Leaf site.

Old
02-27-2005, 11:45 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
To bring up a guy like Moro is an insult to Leaf fans who actually follow the game of hockey, he's too slow footed to be effective in the AHL, I guess you can get away with it to pedestrian fans and children but not on HF's Leaf site.
I take insult!

Old
02-27-2005, 01:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

I don't think that Quinn said that, nor did he trade Dempsey. From I heard Dempsey never came to camp in shape which is why he never made the team

Old
02-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I don't think that Quinn said that, nor did he trade Dempsey. From I heard Dempsey never came to camp in shape which is why he never made the team
No Quinn did say that. He said that Nathan is too small and not strong enough to play defence on a regular basis.

After Dempsey left, Quinn said that he thought of Dempsey as a great 8th defenceman who would play well during a call up, but over time his play would level off. He didn't think he was good enough as an NHL regular.

He then promptly went out and signed 6'3, 215 pound Anders Eriksson to a 3-year multi million dollar deal. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out Quinn's mentality.

And no, if Quinn was still GM, Ian White would not be given a fair shot.

Old
02-27-2005, 04:46 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
I really don't see why so many people on here are down on the play of Marc Moro. He has done nothing wrong since he has been here. He won the best defencemen award last year for the Leafs and is well on his way to that this season. His work ethic, intensity and heart are amazing. He does posess offensive skills but likes to stay well positioned and plays a sound physical defensive game. His skating speed is not as horrible as everyone thinks. I don't see to many guys skating circles arround him or going past him like he was a marker in a downhill ski race. Know by no means does he have any thing more then average speed but he knows his weaknesses and plays the game so his weaknesses are not exploited. I think JFJ is bang on when he sais he could make the lineup. You can't have six rushing defencemen in the lineup at the same time. Moro could bring a very physical pressence to the Leafs blue line . I think he could be some where along the lines of a Bob Boughner type player in the NHL. The bottom line is Moro deserves a chance to make the big club and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it as the seventh dman.

Old
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
leafaholix*

Marc Moro sucks.

"He believes he can play in the NHL, and he very well may push himself to receive an opportunity in that regard"

lol, the opportunity to recieve an opportunity will only arise if he pushes hard. Ferguson didn't even say they (scouting staff) feel he can play in the NHL, JFJ just said Marc thinks he can play in the NHL.

In reality, he's a career minor leaguer and I hope they let him go soon, he's such a mediocre player.

Old
02-27-2005, 05:04 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
No Quinn did say that. He said that Nathan is too small and not strong enough to play defence on a regular basis.

After Dempsey left, Quinn said that he thought of Dempsey as a great 8th defenceman who would play well during a call up, but over time his play would level off. He didn't think he was good enough as an NHL regular.

He then promptly went out and signed 6'3, 215 pound Anders Eriksson to a 3-year multi million dollar deal. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out Quinn's mentality.

And no, if Quinn was still GM, Ian White would not be given a fair shot.
By drafting and signing White, he has already.

Dempsey was put through waivers numerous times so the reasons he wasn't playing for the Leafs are likely the same reasons no one else wanted him.

Closed Thread