HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs prospects leave imprint

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
richardn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Marc Moro sucks.

"He believes he can play in the NHL, and he very well may push himself to receive an opportunity in that regard"

lol, the opportunity to recieve an opportunity will only arise if he pushes hard. Ferguson didn't even say they (scouting staff) feel he can play in the NHL, JFJ just said Marc thinks he can play in the NHL.

In reality, he's a career minor leaguer and I hope they let him go soon, he's such a mediocre player.
If Moro truely sucked how come he won the best defencemen award last year with St. John's and was drafted 27th overlall in the 1995 draft. I will be the first to admit the highend upside of Moro's game is not that high. But at least you know what your going to get on a consistant basis, which is a sound defensive game with little mistakes.

Old
02-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
By drafting and signing White, he has already.
Quinn has made it clear throughout his entire career that he doesn't like small players- especially defenceman. It's common knowledge.

Like the example I used before, the proof was in the pudding when he consistently chose to play Anders Eriksson over Dempsey.

I don't know if you're trying to say that Quinn has changed his ways, but at his age I doubt he has.

Quote:
Dempsey was put through waivers numerous times so the reasons he wasn't playing for the Leafs are likely the same reasons no one else wanted him.
Dempsey has established himself as an NHL defenceman.

The teams who passed him up on waivers made a mistake. And I'm no professional, but even I could have told them at the time they were making a mistake.

Old
02-27-2005, 05:41 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
If Moro truely sucked how come he won the best defencemen award last year with St. John's and was drafted 27th overlall in the 1995 draft. I will be the first to admit the highend upside of Moro's game is not that high. But at least you know what your going to get on a consistant basis, which is a sound defensive game with little mistakes.
Because everyone else on the blue line was either a rookie or crap (Kelly, Chartier, etc...).

Old
02-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Frankie

quinn just had very high praise for moro on the radio broadcast. he's very impressed.

he's the baby leafs best defenseman.

Old
02-27-2005, 05:50 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Because everyone else on the blue line was either a rookie or crap (Kelly, Chartier, etc...).
You still make now valid points that he sucks other then the fact that you say he is exceptionaly slow, which is debateable. I never once said he is a top 4 d-man. But what I do think is he is a capable 6th or 7th d-man at the NHL level. What ever the case is he far from sucks. If you have ever seen him play live on a consistant basis you would see that he is not as bad as you think. I seen him play at both the junior and AHL level and he is decent. His offencive game is not as good as it was when he played junior hockey because I think he knows that his offenceive game is not what is going to get him to the NHL. So he instead stays focused on his defence.

Old
02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
quinn just had very high praise for moro on the radio broadcast. he's very impressed.

But yet he sucks according to some people :lol .

Old
02-27-2005, 07:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Quinn has made it clear throughout his entire career that he doesn't like small players- especially defenceman. It's common knowledge.

Like the example I used before, the proof was in the pudding when he consistently chose to play Anders Eriksson over Dempsey.

I don't know if you're trying to say that Quinn has changed his ways, but at his age I doubt he has.
I've never see Quinn get rid of a player strictly because of size, Ronning was a key player for him for years. I know that people point to Sullivan but in reality he was a cancer on the team and had to go.

Quote:
Dempsey has established himself as an NHL defenceman.

The teams who passed him up on waivers made a mistake. And I'm no professional, but even I could have told them at the time they were making a mistake.
He hasn't really done anything special that 100's of other defencemen couldn't do. Maybe if he was doing the things then that he is doing now then he could have made the Leafs.

Old
02-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
I've never see Quinn get rid of a player strictly because of size, Ronning was a key player for him for years. I know that people point to Sullivan but in reality he was a cancer on the team and had to go.

He hasn't really done anything special that 100's of other defencemen couldn't do. Maybe if he was doing the things then that he is doing now then he could have made the Leafs.
You turning this into a bigger deal than it should be.

I just made an offhanded remark that Ian White would not have been given a fair chance by Quinn. And I stand by that. Quinn favours bigger players, probably to a fault. I'm not even saying that things will be different for smaller players like White under JFJ because I don't know for sure that they will be. I just hope that it will.

I never said that Quinn would refuse to play a smaller player. Of course he will. Ronning and Reichel are good examples, but they are not defenseman though.

As for Dempsey, I'm not saying he's an All-Star. But I think most will agree that he was not handled as well as he could have been by Quinn. And I do know that Dempsey's size played a role in that.

Old
02-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie

What does Quinn know about an NHL defenceman, Lumme, Manson, Eriksson, he reminds Quinn of himself a slow footed guy who you can go around like a pylon. Smith and Markov didn't meet Quinns can play list either, and Berehowsky over Jackman was another Quinn,Ferguson evaluation. If Marc Morro who I have nothing against as a person is the Leafs best defenceman in St.John's God Help Us All

Old
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Pappy

Messenger Question on Kootney Ice

Who will make the NHL Dawes a 5th rd pick or Sagat a 3rd rd pick or will either, you see them whats your honest opinion.

Old
03-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Who will make the NHL Dawes a 5th rd pick or Sagat a 3rd rd pick or will either, you see them whats your honest opinion.
Little Nigel Dawes all 5' 7" of him is a one dimensional hockey player and that is putting it nicely .. He is Sergei Berezin Part II .. He never passes and the whole Kootenay Strategy is "GET THE PUCK TO NIGEL" ..

Sagat is a poor mans Ponikarovsky .. He plays the exact same crash and bang, dig in the corners, Kills PIM's.. but I don't think he has Poni goal scoring ability .. but he is huge and a force just not an offensive one ..

I think that since the NYR have gone through a complete rebuild and will need lots of young players in the future with Jagr and Holik contracts on the books in a hard Cap World .. So he will get a chance ..and he has great offense .. Success unsure..

Sagat has NHL size not sure he has NHL skill but could be a useful depth forward on the 3rd and 4th lines ..

Old
03-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Little Nigel Dawes all 5' 7" of him is a one dimensional hockey player and that is putting it nicely .. He is Sergei Berezin Part II .. He never passes and the whole Kootenay Strategy is "GET THE PUCK TO NIGEL" ..

Sagat is a poor mans Ponikarovsky .. He plays the exact same crash and bang, dig in the corners, Kills PIM's.. but I don't think he has Poni goal scoring ability .. but he is huge and a force just not an offensive one ..

I think that since the NYR have gone through a complete rebuild and will need lots of young players in the future with Jagr and Holik contracts on the books in a hard Cap World .. So he will get a chance ..and he has great offense .. Success unsure..

Sagat has NHL size not sure he has NHL skill but could be a useful depth forward on the 3rd and 4th lines ..
It will be very interesting to see how the game is played after the new CBA is implemented, if they change the rules as drasticaly as they have hinted, there may be players who play in the NHL now that may not be able to if they indeed open up the game, the same could be said that guys who haven't been able to play might now be able too.

Old
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
It will be very interesting to see how the game is played after the new CBA is implemented, if they change the rules as drasticaly as they have hinted, there may be players who play in the NHL now that may not be able to if they indeed open up the game, the same could be said that guys who haven't been able to play might now be able too.
I agree ..

A hard Cap will promote from with in in cost saving younger players and the shelf life of older vets .. Reichel and Hoglund and Renberg would be less

no touch icing , removing the Center line opens up the game like some of these new rules are intended to do ..this removes the trap and the bigger players and the more none Stereotypical players get more opportunity ..

Wellwood is a perfect example of a player that may actually get an NHL job out of necessity by the leafs to fit under a Cap .. In the old NHL he may never have gotten that chance .. now his skills benefit the NHL .. in the future . .

Old
03-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Pappy

John Mitchell has fallen off the map, the Whalers have been dropping like stones and he as Capt is leading the charge. He hasn't done much for a few games this is the time you step it up down the stretch when the playoffs are in sight. Has any one see John

Old
03-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
John Mitchell has fallen off the map, the Whalers have been dropping like stones and he as Capt is leading the charge. He hasn't done much for a few games this is the time you step it up down the stretch when the playoffs are in sight. Has any one see John
Plymouth has already secured a playoff spot, and The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds are all but mathematically out of reach for 1st in the division .. I would call it coasting waiting for the playoffs to begin ..

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...ype=team_stats

In fact last year Plymouth went on a solid playoff run, this year I am kind of hoping for an early exit as they stand no Change against London Knights ..

So Mitchell in St. Johns for the Baby Leafs to utilize seems like a better long-term plan IMO ..

Closed Thread