Notices

Bourque, Spooner among camp invitees

Old
01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
BoyntBergie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Knight was compared with Mats Sundin, Eric Cole by 'those who know what they are talking about'. Those are big skates to fill, and, unfortunately for Mr. Knight, the bench mark was set too high. Meanwhile, Anthony Camara plays like a second rounder, who was drafted in the third round, but really should have been drafted in the fourth round, or fifth round, or sixth round, so it has been portrayed.
That's quite a disparity in comps. That said, is the Cole one really all that crazy? I've seen next to nothing of Knight but based on all I've read, the Cole comp isn't horribly wild. A bit ambitious perhaps, but Knight being at least a poor man's Cole seems fairly realistic.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:14 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Camara plays, not played. See the distinction there. I don't care about 2010, 2011. The main drawback to Knight for me, at this point, are the injuries. Let's see if Knight can meet the original expectations. Sorry.
never heard the Sundin comparisons, although after the London Knights won he OHL Championship last March, Knight and his roomie Max Domi headed out with Tie and Mats for a little celebration.

The comparisons the Bruins (as in people sitting on the draft table and sitting at the Garden Center ice level 9 facing the benches- and its plural) are Callahan, Cole, and another guy I don't even want to mention who is very good.

He has to stay healthy agree with you 100%. I also think he needs to focus more on training hockey skills than making sure he is the strongest pound for pound guy in the game. I believe thats where the hamstring stuff came from- and the Bruins training staff will and are already working on this.

As for Camara- I am very intrigued with him and amazingly see a lot of Knight in him

I would L-O-V-E to see these two on the same line sooner rather than later

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:25 AM
PJ StockBB

as it stands right now, i think Paille should be the third line left wing and MacDermid should be the fourth line left wing. i think Paille brings more as a third liner then Bourque or anyone else will at this point and i think MacDermid will bring more as a fourth liner then the rest of the guys. once Caron is healthy i think he will get the third line spot. wether he sticks or not remains to be seen but at this point, when he is healthy, i think he is our best option.

when MacDermid was up last year i was very impressed. he is a solid skater, finishes ALL his checks and is a good hitter. he can kill penalties and has decent skill for a tough guy. i think he fits in perfectly with our fourth line for the time being.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
GloveSave1
OG TT

With Knight, id sign for a tougher Eric Cole. Not a poor man's tougher Eric Cole, mind you. Haha. Mats Sundin?! Holy ****! Sign me up! Its good to aim high/dream. Seems like an odd comparison, but I admit I haven't seen Knight play enough.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
This very website has him projected to be a 3rd line checking forward. My question to you; have YOU watched him play hockey?

I hate to agree with KTR, but he's right. Knight has been hyped up to be the next great thing in Boston but he has never been much more than a hard-working checking forward. It's not a knock on him, it's just calling him what he is.
I have only seen each play a half a dozen or so times at development camp, so take my analysis for what it is, but I have always liked Spooner a little more than Knight. That being said, I do think that a 3rd line checking winger is Knight's floor, not his ceiling. I don't think he is going to be a wing on a first line, but I do think he can be a dependable 20-25 goal scorer on the second line. I also think he is a guy who can bring other things to the game besides scoring, such as intensity, leadership, PK, physical play, etc. I think the one thing that you might be overlooking that I do like about him, is that he can shoot the puck. He has a straight ahead game and he knows where to find his offense. That being said, I think he will be the type of player who will depend a lot on others to produce his offense for him, in the mold of a Glen Murray type shooter. He will need to play with a good puck-distributing center to really reach his maximum goal-scoring potential, IMO. That's why I have always liked Spooner a bit more. I think Spooner is someone who can create his own offense, which makes him a different type of player. All that being said, I still like Knight a lot and think he will be a good player for the Bs for a long time.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Eennad142

I will gladly settle for JKnight as the 'poor man's' Eric Cole; perhaps if Knight could add some Recci-style positioning around the net, instead of the straight-ahead and drive the net injury-risk style. If Knight, Sauve can get past the injury bug(s), and placed in the mix with Spooner, Ferlin, Florek, etc., that greatly bolsters the forward prospect outlook.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Wheeler - Krejci - Ryder wasn't exactly a prototypical 3rd line.
Good point. Were they really the third line though? (Honest question, I don't remember.) Maybe Bergie's line filled the defensive role a bit more? (Again, I don't really remember.)

In some ways it's irrelevant...My main point is that I haven't heard him described or seen Spooner as being a defensive minded player which will factor in to how Claude uses him. I think it could go either way...he definitely has a shot to earn a spot. I also see the point that others make that he'd be better off getting top minutes in Providence. We'll see...and it'll be fun to watch regardless.

I do like my theory about him being a wing if he makes the team, though. Not sure anyone else does...

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Good point. Were they really the third line though? (Honest question, I don't remember.) Maybe Bergie's line filled the defensive role a bit more? (Again, I don't really remember.)
Yes, Bergeron's line filled the defensive role normally assigned to "3rd lines" that year. He played with Axelsson and Kobasew for most of that season. The Krejci line was the B's second "scoring" line.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
First off how do you know what he is not already?

Secondly, just about everywhere I read said he had and elite shot and ++ release.

Third, chatting with people that have actually seen him 50+ times, top 6 forward is the projection, not 3rd line grinder.

He could be either or, better or worse, but can we atleast see first before calling people out?
What you read is erroneous, players with elite shots score more than 25 goals with extreme ease in junior hockey at 19-20 years old. Since Knight's shot isn't anything special, and since his speed, stickhandling and his physical attributes are nothing to write home about, I feel safe concluding he isn't going to score at the NHL level since the difference between juniors and the NHL is gigantic. A good example of a decent offensive prospect with a bad shot that I like is Magnus Paajarvi. The only way he'll score in the NHL is by adapting his game, by using his speed, his creativity and his reach, Knight doesn't have any of this.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Yeah, but I think Claude is the kind of coach that wants a more traditional third line with a guy that can shut down the oppositions top line. I don't think Spooner is that guy.

Having said that, I like Spooner a lot...super creative, sees the ice well, smart, can pass and shoot.
Yeah, I don't see Spooner as a good fit for the 3rd line either. I think he can play wing, but having both him and Peverley on the same line makes that a very light line. And given that this team likes to play that grinding, down low game in the Ozone I'm not sure that would work.

It's a shame because I really think the PP could use a LH'd playmaker... but continuing to play a lot (in Prov) is probably what's best for Spooner's development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
I am hoping Tardif is the guy who steals the job at camp. He is a guy who works the dirty areas of the ice, and could probably fit with the 3rd line.
Tardif fits the bill as far as being a guy who excels in the dirty areas and is willing to battle down low. I don't know how much you can expect out of a 27 year old career minor leaguer but he does have some decent hands.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
That's quite a disparity in comps. That said, is the Cole one really all that crazy? I've seen next to nothing of Knight but based on all I've read, the Cole comp isn't horribly wild. A bit ambitious perhaps, but Knight being at least a poor man's Cole seems fairly realistic.
Where in the hell have you been? I better see alot of you now that there is hockey!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
What you read is erroneous, players with elite shots score more than 25 goals with extreme ease in junior hockey at 19-20 years old. Since Knight's shot isn't anything special, and since his speed, stickhandling and his physical attributes are nothing to write home about, I feel safe concluding he isn't going to score at the NHL level since the difference between juniors and the NHL is gigantic. A good example of a decent offensive prospect with a bad shot that I like is Magnus Paajarvi. The only way he'll score in the NHL is by adapting his game, by using his speed, his creativity and his reach, Knight doesn't have any of this.
Sort of like James Neal right? Never scored as many goals in the "O" as Knight, but was said to have an elite caliber shot then and he netted 40 last year... Guess we will have to see....pretty early to conclude anything, no?

Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yeah, I don't see Spooner as a good fit for the 3rd line either. I think he can play wing, but having both him and Peverley on the same line makes that a very light line. And given that this team likes to play that grinding, down low game in the Ozone I'm not sure that would work.

It's a shame because I really think the PP could use a LH'd playmaker... but continuing to play a lot (in Prov) is probably what's best for Spooner's development.
Same could be said about Chris Bourque though, who is the favorite according to some.

There should be opportunities for guys like Spooner once the groin problems start cropping up, but I don't disagree that he'll probably spend most of the year in Providence.

dafoomie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
the negotiator

Three quick thoughts
1- keep Spooner in Providence getting a lot of ice unless/ until they have an injury call-up
2-keep the 4th line intact...which probably means C Bourque gets the nod at least until Caron is healthy
3-keep McDermid as the 13 th forward for depth and grit

the negotiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
DKH

Quote:
I will gladly settle for JKnight as the 'poor man's' Eric Cole; perhaps if Knight could add some Recci-style positioning around the net, instead of the straight-ahead and drive the net injury-risk style. If Knight, Sauve can get past the injury bug(s), and placed in the mix with Spooner, Ferlin, Florek, etc., that greatly bolsters the forward prospect outlook.
Good observation about the front of net stuff and something I believe they may work on with him- he certainly has no problems being there and Hunter used him in that role last season. I do think he needs to be more of that style.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:58 PM
JMiller

Quote:
He scored 36 at 17 years old and then put in another 10 in 12 playoff games.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:58 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by the negotiator View Post
Three quick thoughts
1- keep Spooner in Providence getting a lot of ice unless/ until they have an injury call-up
2-keep the 4th line intact...which probably means C Bourque gets the nod at least until Caron is healthy
3-keep McDermid as the 13 th forward for depth and grit
Ryan imo is coming up to get both a taste of the faced paced camp and will be heading back down unless someone gets hurt. He has everything to eventually be a very good player. I have no knowledge of this but its wise to get him in this camp so he can download this experience and understand what/where/how and should make him better. Sky is the limit and the power play abilility is epic.

Bourque is more skilled than Paille offensively and should fit nice with Kelly and Peverley until maybe crunch time and then move Paille in to protect one goal leads and end of period shifts.

Bourque has little pressure except from within and fits nicely on that line

Old
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Ryan imo is coming up to get both a taste of the faced paced camp and will be heading back down unless someone gets hurt. He has everything to eventually be a very good player. I have no knowledge of this but its wise to get him in this camp so he can download this experience and understand what/where/how and should make him better. Sky is the limit and the power play abilility is epic.

Bourque is more skilled than Paille offensively and should fit nice with Kelly and Peverley until maybe crunch time and then move Paille in to protect one goal leads and end of period shifts.

have him play ONLY PP minutes

No "sarcasm" emotion on the phone

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
WBC8

Quote:

It's going to be very ironic when there is a Bruins Bourque on the Cup and it's not Raymond's...

Old
01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Pie O My

Quote:

Strange little side note to this. Been following Kirk on twitter and he keeps warning B's fans to remember that he is Chris, not Ray. What the heck would make him think that this possibility not only exists but may be a probability? What B's fans is he talking to these days?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Strange little side note to this. Been following Kirk on twitter and he keeps warning B's fans to remember that he is Chris, not Ray. What the heck would make him think that this possibility not only exists but may be a probability? What B's fans is he talking to these days?
He's probably preaching to the choir for the most part due to who his twitter followers are, but there are undoubtedly Bruins fans who believe Chris should join the Bruins and tear it up because of his name. That sort of expectation is not unusual.

Just as I'm absolutely certain there will be people leaping on Dougie Hamilton and proclaiming him a bust if he's not a Calder candidate. I'm certain the Bruins staff will warn him to expect that. I hope so anyway.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
DKH

Quote:
Knight has an elite shot- top 20 % right now and speed is also elite (straight ahead but still outstanding)

Knight has three things that I would grade from good to exceptional

Shot (both wrist and slap)- go look at the third period of the Memorial Cup Finals, within 5 minutes wrung cross bar and post with wrist and slap shot the goalie still hasn't seen

Speed- Cole-like power, straight away can beat just about anyone

Body Checking- reminds me of Leveille but maybe better; Norm had really good leverage and used to raise guys off their skates but most of it was from close in- was not a stride guy; Knight is the other way- but as he showed in the ECHL he pissed off an entire team by unloading on their 6'3" 235 lbs Captain Reynolds (Randell jumped in quick) and some other triple digit PIM guy who didn't like being hit.

You can question his injuries or his skating line but shot- no way. Its sick. This Rick Vaiveish if you ask me, quick, fast, and hard.

btw- I am not sure but he had a great Shoot out record in the OHL and may have been number one in the league but if not very close. He has accuracy and power.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Same could be said about Chris Bourque though, who is the favorite according to some.

There should be opportunities for guys like Spooner once the groin problems start cropping up, but I don't disagree that he'll probably spend most of the year in Providence.
I think Bourque is the favorite to stick as the extra forward, but I think he'll have the same issues as Spooner when it comes to sticking on that 3rd line (even though he is more experienced and used to NHL board work).

He'll probably get first crack at the job though, he's earned it with his play in Providence.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Where in the hell have you been? I better see alot of you now that there is hockey!
Been lurking, but wasn't much to talk about. I'll be around more now, for better or worse.

I'm surprised some people are as amped about Bourque as they appear to be. I have very low expectations. He strikes me as a fringe NHL/HOF AHLer type. Glad we'll be able to find out one way or the other finally!

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
Sort of like James Neal right? Never scored as many goals in the "O" as Knight, but was said to have an elite caliber shot then and he netted 40 last year... Guess we will have to see....pretty early to conclude anything, no?
Doesn't Neal play with Crosby? Pittsburgh stars are good at making middling talent look amazing. Remember this guy http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=619

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote