HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Travel Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Adult trips (so no beach holidays or stuff like that) that I liked most so far:

1) Andalucia (loved Sevilla especially, but Malaga is such a great place too)

2) Prague (lovely city.. there are few city that I love to get lost in, but prague is one of them, so much to see outside the normal tourist routes, and not gonna lie the beer brings bonus points too)

3)Edinburgh: Was underwhelmed when it was announced as our class-destination, but this city has... I don't know. Combination of city and nature, old and new, and that special scottish accent that I learnt to love. Great trip

Was also to Berlin, Paris and London as far as the big european cities go..

Didn't really like London, the historic side of the city that interested me most got drowned somehow in all the modern business and shopping buildings

I was very young when I visited Berlin and also it's my countrie's caital so I guess I kinda take it for granted, balthough the city's history is probably as unique and interesting as any's in this world.

Paris, I don't know why it didn't make my top 3... I love the city, love the language, but somehow... I dunno. Maybe the weather and the company made the difference between edinburgh and Paris

Next up I'd love to go to Rome or St. Petersburgh. Don't think I'll be able to visit north america anytime soon

A "darkhorse" city I would recommend to every american that wants to visit Europe is copenhagen. Just wonderful.
1--Berlin was on big construction site last time I was there
2-Living in london I know where to go and what to see and how to see old London
3-Loved Prague
4-Brother lives in Paris so I am there once or twice a month
5- I loved St Petes--Russia is great. I was first there in 91/92 and it was great (and cheap) howevere I was there a few weeks ago and it has changed for the worse

I would suggest going to Kos Greece--it was great

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
What is there to do in Portland, Maine for a long weekend in the summer? Wifey wants to plan a trip there for my birthday weekend.

And anyone been to Reykjavik before? We're considering a trip there next winter for ~5 days to see the Northern Lights.
I was in Reykjavik in early May 2008, and had a lot of fun. Spent a little time in the city, then took a road trip around the island. Because it was Spring, I ended up doing a lot of camping. Great national parks. It ranged from quite warm in Reykjavik (45-50F), and fairly balmy in the south (some fantastic fly fishing in Pingvellir NP). Lots of snow while camping at Lake Myvatn and also at Akureyri in the north. Total whiteout and blizzard conditions rounding the Snaefells Peninsula and Snaefellsjokull. Conditions change a lot. If you try it, the roads in the north to NE of the island can get pretty dodgy. Did it with a tiny sedan rental, though.

If you like the outdoors, mountains, waterfalls, glaciers, geysers and generally a ton of geothermal features, Iceland is a great time. If you go in the Winter, you'll definitely get a great view of the Northern Lights (I've spent time in Fairbanks and up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle in Alaska taking photos of the Aurora, in the Fall, but I wasn't in Iceland at the right time of year for them.) In winter, you might get socked in and a little confined to Reykjavik, but it's a really cool city. Outstanding night life.

Last edited by Drake1588: 01-12-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
And anyone been to Reykjavik before? We're considering a trip there next winter for ~5 days to see the Northern Lights.
Probably my favorite place on the planet, but then again I'm utterly obsessed with Icelandic culture. There's a lot to see and do around the city (highly recommend checking out Snæfellsjökull and Þingvellir north of Reykjavik) and I highly suggest taking the ring road around the country. Walking around and exploring Reykjavik is a must as well...some great food, great art, amazing music, great everything to be found all over the place.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's a beautiful place. It has the feel of a small town and yet is large enough to be a cosmopolitan city. Quaint architecture, pretty downtown. Great food, establishments at night, healthy and happy people. I loved it.

For a harsh taste of the local fare, try the Brennivin and Hakarl (schnapps and shark). Puts hair on your chest. There is a wide range of upscale dining, though. I was mostly doing the Ring Road, so I wasn't in the city for too long.

Isn't there a summer festival or series of festivals? I'm not sure if they're still hyping that up the way they were a few years back. Might have been an Icelandair gimmick.

Last edited by Drake1588: 01-12-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
redwingsrock

I guess i can post this here.

Traveling to Chicago for business and I don't really want to have to use an iron when I get to the hotel. Anybody ever tried the rolling technique for dress shirts?

Thanks!

redwingsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Pude

Croatia coast is awesome. Just saying, go there

Pude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:56 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsrock View Post
I guess i can post this here.

Traveling to Chicago for business and I don't really want to have to use an iron when I get to the hotel. Anybody ever tried the rolling technique for dress shirts?

Thanks!
I always roll. Never had too much trouble with the clothes getting wrinkled.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:04 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pude View Post
Croatia coast is awesome. Just saying, go there
I would love to go to Croatia, I always see random scenic photos on Nat Geo and stuff like that. Time and time again they end up being in Croatia.

Has anyone here traveled to the Ukraine or Romania?

Last edited by 40oz: 01-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.
40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:04 AM
stingo
HFBoards Sponsor

I know one thing. I'm never going to Kissimmee!!!!!!!

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:06 AM
stingo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Anyone here been to Thailand? That's next on my list of destinations.
I've been there twice(nearly a month each time), and I'm going back again for a 3rd time in a couple of months. Ask away.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:42 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
I've been there twice(nearly a month each time), and I'm going back again for a 3rd time in a couple of months. Ask away.
Say you were only going for 7-10 days... how would you split up the time amongst the cities?

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
RayP

Also, gonna be in Miami for a few days in early April. Anyone have any hotel suggestions? Have no interest in the club scene, and don't want to rent a car. Just want some access to decent restaurants, maybe a sports bar or two, and walking distance to a beach.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Lockz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
It's a longshot, but has anyone on here ever been to Svalbard? (Norway)

It's seems a pretty cool place to go.
Yep, I spent three nights there a couple years ago. I had two half days and two full days there, and it was fun. If I were to go back I would stay in a different place though. Nothing wrong with where I was (Guesthouse 102) except that it was outside of town so if I wanted to go into town it was a good 15 minute walk each way (although sometimes that was good to get some exercise). I was there in March so there was midnight sun, even with all the snow on the ground.

I booked three excursions through the guesthouse; horseback riding, dogsledding and a car tour of the town. For horseback riding, I was picked up from the guesthouse, driven to the farm and given some time to get used to the horse in its stable (and for the horse to get used to me). After that we went out just the two of us outside of town and went out past the airport. Dogsledding was great, it was the highlight of my trip. We put the harnesses on our own dog teams, and paired up so we each got to drive, and each got to sit and take pictures.

Lockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Also, gonna be in Miami for a few days in early April. Anyone have any hotel suggestions? Have no interest in the club scene, and don't want to rent a car. Just want some access to decent restaurants, maybe a sports bar or two, and walking distance to a beach.
The lowes is a really nice new hotel right on the beach walking distance to everything. Also the Fountainbleu just went through a huge renovation-it looks magnificent.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
The lowes is a really nice new hotel right on the beach walking distance to everything. Also the Fountainbleu just went through a huge renovation-it looks magnificent.
Thanks, will look into.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Going to Toronto and the HHoF on Wednesday. Never been before.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:37 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I would love to go to Croatia, I always see random scenic photos on Nat Geo and stuff like that. Time and time again they end up being in Croatia.

Has anyone here traveled to the Ukraine or Romania?
Co-worker is Croatian and was saying how you can get a coastal vacation that feels almost being in Italy because of all the roman ruins etc but for half the price.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPGabe View Post
Going to Toronto and the HHoF on Wednesday. Never been before.
West Inn Harbour Castle hotel is pretty cool. Right on the front as well.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Stupid question, but one I know will get answered: what is there in Toronto that doesn't cost a fortune?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Co-worker is Croatian and was saying how you can get a coastal vacation that feels almost being in Italy because of all the roman ruins etc but for half the price.
I bet, and the beaches look incredible.

Also, I'd love to see Plitvice. This place looks amazing.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 AM
tomcatNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The prices in Croatia will be going up soon so if you plan on visiting there for cheap, then now's the time. It is now "in" in Europe to travel to Croatia so they would be stupid not to hike up the prices in the future - especially if more and more people keep coming.

I've never been there but from all accounts it's really a great destination.

tomcatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Steve Bennett*

I've been everywhere,

Cloverdale, Maple Ridge, Whalley, Ladner, Walnut Grove, East Ladner, Aggassizz, Saanichton

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 AM
awesomo
HARD!

April going to SE Asia.

Hong Kong, Macau, probably Vietnam and down (Laos, Thailand, etc).

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Dustin Peener
I wanna be sedated

vCash: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockz View Post
Yep, I spent three nights there a couple years ago. I had two half days and two full days there, and it was fun. If I were to go back I would stay in a different place though. Nothing wrong with where I was (Guesthouse 102) except that it was outside of town so if I wanted to go into town it was a good 15 minute walk each way (although sometimes that was good to get some exercise). I was there in March so there was midnight sun, even with all the snow on the ground.

I booked three excursions through the guesthouse; horseback riding, dogsledding and a car tour of the town. For horseback riding, I was picked up from the guesthouse, driven to the farm and given some time to get used to the horse in its stable (and for the horse to get used to me). After that we went out just the two of us outside of town and went out past the airport. Dogsledding was great, it was the highlight of my trip. We put the harnesses on our own dog teams, and paired up so we each got to drive, and each got to sit and take pictures.
Sounds awesome. Did you get to see any polar bears, or take a boat trip like in this picture?

- ixcuincle
Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Do you work 5 days on 2 weeks off or something? lol. I work for an airline, too, but I have nowhere near the time to travel like that (not even to Toronto for the day, really).

I did just book a trip to Brussels in March, however. Beer will be the big focus.
I've been living in Brussels the past 6 years now. You'll have a great time if beer is what you're looking for. Just make sure you don't get mugged on the way back to your hotel. This city can be quite dangerous.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote