HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
During the press conference they said they didn't like the way he conducted himself publicly and it wasn't
to do with the team on the ice.

Just hearing Anselmi on McGowan, he said performance was a big factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Kadri isn't worth a first? Are you nuts? He's PPG in the AHL and ready to breakout as a star. Gimme a break.

You are welcome to ask any fan base here, would they deal a 1st for Kadri. You might get a few saying yes. But predominately, they would all say no. Granted, this is the peanut gallery, but it is telling just how much a player like Kadri is valued around the league.

No, I don't think Kadri is worth a 1st _in_this_draft_.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Halpysback*

It makes sense now. Kessel for Luongo. Leafs ownership caved, Burke would have none of it since it would make him look like a total *****

Bet it happens this weekend. Leafs fans, get ready.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
They didn't fire Burke just because him and Nonis wanted to get new job titles. This "senior advisor" is just PR BS, similar to what the Oilers did with Pat Quinn. Your GM is out. That changes nothing?
It doesnt change nothing but the difference wont be massive. The two people who were responsible for the current lineup yesterday are the same two people today.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Just hearing Anselmi on McGowan, he said performance was a big factor.
Didnt hear it cant comment. During the press conference he said something else.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
BudMovin*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Nazem Kadri is a prospect performing well in the AHL.

I suppose everyone should discount prospect performance in a professional hockey league, such as the AHL.
I think Kadri will do well in the NHL when he finally gets a chance. I just find the notion laughable that AHL success automatically equates to NHL success.

Old
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
It doesnt change nothing but the difference wont be massive. The two people who were responsible for the current lineup yesterday are the same two people today.
Difference is that the boss is no longer in charge. If that's not a big difference to you then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
At this point, trading Phil Kessel makes more sense than trading Gardiner / Rielly / 1st round pick. Phil only has 2 years left on his deal while those young assets could be retained longer/cheaper. The Leafs also stand to gain a lot more in return for Kessel than they do any of the young assets. Asset management 101. Now that would all change if the Leafs made the playoffs, odds of keeping Kessel would increase and it would suddenly makes more sense to fill holes via trade, but it wouldn't be wise at this point, given the Leafs' recent struggles
In that case, let's talk Schneider and Kassian.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Why is that?
Because there is still technically no CBA in place.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Didnt hear it cant comment. During the press conference he said something else.

Check the McGowan podcast later.

100%, performance was cited as a factor.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
It makes sense now. Kessel for Luongo. Leafs ownership caved, Burke would have none of it since it would make him look like a total *****

Bet it happens this weekend. Leafs fans, get ready.
ummmm

no

I sincerely hope that I am missing sarcasm

Old
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
I think Kadri will do well in the NHL when he finally gets a chance. I just find the notion laughable that AHL success automatically equates to NHL success.

Agreed. I like Kadri actually. I wouldn't trade a 1st in this draft for him though.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Ooooh the Regional Manager! Colour me impressed...not.

I've never suggested that Rogers motivation isn't profit, I'm simply saying that profit does not lead you to make the decision the Leafs made today. If profit was the motivation, and you don't feel Burke's regime is capable of generating profit (playoffs), then you swap out the regime.

They didn't do that. They kept his regime in place, but moved his bombastic personality away from being the face of the franchise, and also away from being the person who deals with substantial portions of your media conglomerate.
I'm glad you're not impressed because it wasn't said to impress you. It was mentioned to show you that if you believed that Rogers Telecommunications was an organization who is not in the business of making revenue you're dead wrong.

With all that being said, obviously they swapped out the man who makes the main decisions to an organization which they expect to generate revenue throughout the hockey league. By regime do you mean head coach? Because by all accounts I look at the Carlyle hire as much as I do as a Nonis hire.

With any other revenue driven business, you don't swap out a whole team or 'regime' as you would like to put it in order to achieve success. You swap out people in your management team or decision makers who you think are making decisions that maybe holding back an organization from being successful. They then micro manage from there on.

Did MLSE make a wrong decision? Time will tell. In the end it's awkward especially with all the rumblings, but to swap out a whole regime would cause you to set your Leafs jersey on fire even sooner rather than later that's for sure.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Difference is that the boss is no longer in charge. If that's not a big difference to you then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Its a difference. Not a massive one. Burke and Nonis were and still are the 2 biggest voices on player moves. A different guy now has the final say but they always worked hard to try to come to a consensus.

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Who said anything about Getzlaf or Perry? Amnesty buyouts or not, your Canucks will have their own cap struggles. With 13 players signed and only 9M to play with leaves the Canucks with <1M left for each player to fill the roster out. If you buyout Ballard you'll only have ~1.2M left for each remaining player. How could you be so short-sighted? The Toronto Maple Leafs should not be dealing their most valuable futures to fill holes, yet. Whether Ownership decides otherwise is up to them but it will greatly determine how much interest I have in this team going forward.
Canucks have a capologist and several ways out of their cap situation beyond trading Luongo. The same as every other team. My point is that there isn't going to be a bunch of high-end players available because of the cap, to paraphrase Mike Gillis; "fans focus far too much on the cap." There are several break downs of the Canucks cap situation on the Canucks' board if you're so inclined.

Again, if you're counting on cap space to save the Leafs, think again, a lot of teams have it.

Old
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
In that case, let's talk Schneider and Kassian.
I wish getting Kessel would be that simple

Old
Cogburn

Bob Mccown....is he the Rush Limbaugh of hockey or what?

Anyway....Gardiner+ eh?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
ummmm

no

I sincerely hope that I am missing sarcasm
It's not a bad deal for you guys, could be worse.

Old
Numbers

Quote:
Why? Burke is still with the team. Nonis was Bukes closest advisor and Burke will likley be Nonis's.
I'm sorry to say, but if you follow major corporations firing high level executives, the resulting senior advisor position is just for title. Look no further to Apple's Inc. firing of Scott Forstall and then giving him a advisory position. In many cases they keep the executives on payroll as advisor for the sole purpose of not letting competition get their hands on them in the short term. I doubt that Burke has any say anymore and he is probably so mad he does not want to either. Bell and Rogers, own the Maple Leafs, and like I said they are running it like a typical major corporation. Very typical.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

I believe you. And I dont really disagree that he deserved it. But I did hear him say they wanted a more low key guy as the public face of the team.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Thinking that the CEOs are going to get involved in player personnel decisions as to what makes more profit...
You don't think the higher up's see the amount of money the organization can make by acquiring a player such as Luongo? You don't think upper management of hockey teams aren't involved in someway with regards to major transactions? Facepalm indeed.

Quote:
They waited until it was necessary. Had there been a full-year lockout, no firing would've been neccessary. With the lockout ending, they had to either play under Brian Burke, or fire him.

What's recent that happened, was a CBA being signed.
If the only thing that has changed between now and September is the CBA being signed, then why wait until now? The CBA was going to be signed eventually, but why wait until it was actually signed and they're 10 days from the start of the season? This all could've been done in September. Organizations don't wait until absolutely neccessary to make moves they have already deemed neccessary. No way they sat on the decision to fire Burke and run with Nonis and only now decided to pull the trigger because "oh ****, the season's going to start, we'd better do this now!". Get real.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Willis88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Kadri isn't worth a first? Are you nuts? He's PPG in the AHL and ready to breakout as a star. Gimme a break.
I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Being a PPG player in the AHL doesn't mean he'll be a "star" in the AHL. I'm sure he'll do fine. Star status? Doubtful.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
MikeK

Quote:

There were a lot of comments made on Prime Time with McGowan that contradict what was said at the presser. Makes me think even more now that Burke wasn't prepared to make the Luongo deal for the start of the season and that was the last straw. I am sure Nonis has been told that playoffs are a must and Luongo as well. I have no doubt Luongo will be a Leaf by next week.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
It's not a bad deal for you guys, could be worse.
If Kessel gets traded to the Canucks for Luongo, he will be my avatar for a full year.

(Yeah, avatar betting myself, so what?)

Old
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Plenty of other teams... possibly but the main rumoured teams are Florida and Toronto. I don't know if I'd say Florida is that much better than TO.
IMO, adding Luongo to either team would result in Toronto being better than Florida. I don't see Florida making the playoffs with our without Luongo while I could see the Leafs making it with Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Why is everyone so convinced Luongo would waive to go to Toronto? I see zero reason why he would want to do that from his perspective.
To cement his place in the HHOF...I think he's a borderline guy and borderline guys who played for the the Leafs generally make it.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I'm sorry to say, but if you follow major corporations firing high level executives, the resulting senior advisor position is just for title. Look no further to Apple's Inc. firing of Scott Forstall and then giving him a advisory position. In many cases they keep the executives on payroll as advisor for the sole purpose of not letting competition get their hands on them in the short term. I doubt that Burke has any say anymore and he is probably so mad he does not want to either. Bell and Rogers, own the Maple Leafs, and like I said they are running it like a typical major corporation. Very typical.
If that is the case then yes it does in fact mean things will be very different. But 2 things. Even if Burke is mad at the team, he is still very close to the guy now running the team. And I would think the Leafs want another team to hire Burke, as soon as someone does they dont have to pay him anymore.

Closed Thread