HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Burke and Nonis combined to make all the hockey decisions before. They will now. Not much has changed internally.

If that's true, why fire him? Cause Burke is brash?... Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Since Nonis respects Burke I think he knows that giving up Jake Gardiner and maybe a 1st round pick is way to much for Luongo. Plus look at what Nonis gave up for Luongo when he was the Canucks GM and at that time you can say he should have given more since he was younger.

Nonis respects Burke, but he is a GM in his own right. Why put him there, in Burke's place, just to have him listen to Burke?

Old
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Over giving up Rielly / Gardiner / first round pick, yes, definitely.
100% agree with this.

luongo is great, we just can't give up those pieces.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
nobody thought Grabovski would get 5 x $5.5
The leafs have over 22m in projected cap space next season on 50 the year after. If he plays to the level he did last year and stays healthy he is worth 6m and we can afford it. We dont exactly have the best record of attracting free agents post lockout either.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He's bang on.

James Duthie said it best.... these 2 guys are hand-in-hand, the biggest difference between them is how they present themselves... and that's really the only logical explanation for the timing. It was done as soon as it needed to be.

You're still delusional about the CEO's of Bell / Rogers getting into player personnel decisions??

Bell/Rogers only closed in late August, and had there not been a season, there would've been no need to fire him.
I'm laughing so hard right now you really don't have a clue how the corporate world works do you? Especially with a huge telecommunications corporation such as Bell (who at one point tried to monopolize our cable networks) and Rogers who pretty much is a Monopoly with Fido / Mobilicity under their wings.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Ownership lost a ton of money from the lockout. Perhaps dipping into some of that juicy playoff revenue was desired?
Anyone with 1/2 a business mind would realize that lost revenue doesn't increase desperation for future revenue.

The "juicy" playoff revenue is something that the Leafs have wanted for years. If they didn't feel that the management was in place to get them to the playoffs, they would've made substantially more changes than a simple personality-swap at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I'm laughing so hard right now you really don't have a clue how the corporate world works do you?
I'm not the one without a clue.

You seem to be insinuating that the CEOs of 2 mega-conglomerates are getting involved in player personnel decisions.

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Have you seen the draft stock? It's a short season for fans. More opportunities may arise next off-season when teams are desperate to unload salary, like the Canucks would be with Luongo
Any examples? Because I can't think of any team that will be desperate to unload high-end talent. Especially with 2 amnesties to work with. And this FA class Leafs fans like to talk about will shrink once Getzlaf and Perry are inevitably signed. Besides, when's the last time the Leafs acquired an impact UFA?

Cap space is not going to save you in this league.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Why is everyone so convinced Luongo would waive to go to Toronto? I see zero reason why he would want to do that from his perspective.
Closer to home, knows ownership. Primary issue has been goaltending and team defense.

Don't see why he would rule it out?

EDIT:

Also likely huge amounts of further oppurtunities for endorsements. Big Italian population in TO which Luongo seems pretty tied to whereever he goes.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
That is the reason the team gave. But I'm sure you know more of their intentions than they do.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
by losing our best D?
i thought your problem was keeping the puck OUT of the net, not putting pucks in.

your best offensive dman helps this how?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

Nonis respects Burke, but he is a GM in his own right. Why put him there, in Burke's place, just to have him listen to Burke?
isnt it obvious? burke has gone on record saying he doesnt like long-term front-loaded deals. So if he acquires Luongo then he ends up look like a hypocrite. Burke will never trade for these type of contracts. Just like he will never offersheet an RFA

Old
01-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Why is everyone so convinced Luongo would waive to go to Toronto? I see zero reason why he would want to do that from his perspective.

TOR is the center of the hockey universe. Luongo would be able to play on the biggest stage... That's pretty appealing.

And I'm convinced, now more than ever, that Luongo would waive for TOR. He knows Nonis, played under him, and knows he will be secure in TOR for a long time. It makes a lot of sense now.

Old
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Closer to home, knows ownership. Primary issue has been goaltending and team defense.

Don't see why he would rule it out?
Exactly, he's what? 3 to 3 1/2 hour flight from T.O to Florida, a lot closer than Vancouver.

Old
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
This is a money deal, not just a hockey deal. If the Leafs actually work out a deal with the Canucks for Luongo, what ever Leaf assets go back to Vancouver, Rogers and Bell stand to make double profits with Luongo in net. Not only does Bell and Rogers make money with the Leaf's TV rights every time they make the playoffs, Rogers and Bell also own the networks those broadcasts are televised over so income from commercials come their way too.

There is no guarantee that Gillis will actually trade Luongo to the Leafs ( as a Canuck fan I hope he doesn't) but this was a smart financial move by MLSE. Add to the future profits when Luongo sets the win total record in the next couple of years and all the promo that can be made of that happening n TO by the Leafs.
I understand that... it's not a team I want to be a part of.

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
The leafs have over 22m in projected cap space next season on 50 the year after. If he plays to the level he did last year and stays healthy he is worth 6m and we can afford it. We dont exactly have the best record of attracting free agents post lockout either.
im down with re-signing Lupul. However, dont wanna blow my load for a possible one year wonder

Old
HogTown06

Quote:
Ownership lost a ton of money from the lockout. Perhaps dipping into some of that juicy playoff revenue was desired?
The ownership of the only team in the NHL worth more than 1 billion dollars? The same team owned by 2 giant media conglomerates? Yeah I'm sure they're hurting for money...

Old
01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
That's another perspective as well. Perhaps Roberto has no desire to come to Toronto and will refuse any trade here.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Ownership continued to turn a massive profit over the lockout. They didn't make as much money as they would have but they still made a ton.

Old
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
That is the reason the team gave. But I'm sure you know more of their intentions than they do.

Sorry, what reason did they give? Was there an official reason as to why Burke was canned?

Quote:
isnt it obvious? burke has gone on record saying he doesnt like long-term front-loaded deals. So if he acquires Luongo then he ends up look like a hypocrite. Burke will never trade for these type of contracts. Just like he will never offersheet an RFA

I agree.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I'm not the one without a clue.

You seem to be insinuating that the CEOs of 2 mega-conglomerates are getting involved in player personnel decisions.
You are without a clue considering you're speaking to a person who worked with the Rogers Regional manager and all they ever cared about was revenue / performance based business. So why would their business moto ever change for a sports franchise?

In the end they'll do whatever it takes to make revenue while putting a product that people are willing to pay for. You certainly may not care for their decision, but there are tons of other fans that would approve of the deal being diehard fans or not, the corporate giants could careless and they know Luongo would generate mega revenue. You're kidding yourself otherwise.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
im down with re-signing Lupul. However, dont wanna blow my load for a possible one year wonder
Clearly he has to prove he can maintain his level of play to earn a new contract.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
At this point, trading Phil Kessel makes more sense than trading Gardiner / Rielly / 1st round pick. Phil only has 2 years left on his deal while those young assets could be retained longer/cheaper. The Leafs also stand to gain a lot more in return for Kessel than they do any of the young assets. Asset management 101. Now that would all change if the Leafs made the playoffs, odds of keeping Kessel would increase and it would suddenly makes more sense to fill holes via trade, but it wouldn't be wise at this point, given the Leafs' recent struggles

Old
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
WillNyeTheHockeyGuy

It just hit me. To me, Burke being the GM of the American National Team was a major part of us getting Kessel and Komisarek (who was a good player at the time). I can totally see Burke becoming GM of another team and Kessel leaving us. **** Rogers/Bell. **** MLSE. **** this management. This just lowered the chance of us keeping him that much more.

Old
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
i thought your problem was keeping the puck OUT of the net, not putting pucks in.

your best offensive dman helps this how?
should we trade Phil Kessel for Willie Mitchell while we are at?

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
He has never said he wouldn't do either of those thing. in fact he said he would.

Old
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
But why waste another year with probably the worst goaltending tandem in the league? Wasting UFA years for top forwards. It's not like the Leafs are in the Oiler's age group, this is a team of prime-aged players and a fanbase starving for a playoff berth. What's holding them back is quite clearly below-par goaltending. Like it or not the Leafs are built for right now. There are no super stars in the pipeline outside of perhaps Reilly. This is the team, right now.

I don't see any of those guys in the deal personally, but I don't really get the sentiment either. Rather sink and hold onto shiny young players than succeed? That's HF mentality and not the real world.

In the real world you have to win, you have to produce. In the real world young defenceman come and go.
If you count a playoff appearance as success then sure, it makes sense.

But adding Luongo to the current Leafs roster hardly makes them a Stanley Cup contender. And that's ultimately what they should be building towards.

The current core players aren't good enough to get them there, so I don't see much point in trading away future for present.

Closed Thread