HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
  #201
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He's bang on.

James Duthie said it best.... these 2 guys are hand-in-hand, the biggest difference between them is how they present themselves... and that's really the only logical explanation for the timing. It was done as soon as it needed to be.
So why wait until the last second to make the move? Because they weren't forced to during the lockout? Organizations don't work like that, hell the COO even stated the reason they made the move now is because they didn't want to go forward with Burke knowing he wasn't who they wanted in place. The only explanation is that something very recently forced their hand. I don't believe for a second it was simply the lockout ending that caused it and they had to make the move. If they were convinced they wanted him gone back in September he would've been gone then.

You say the CEO's and COO's wouldn't get involved in player transactions but what you fail to realize is that virtually every GM has to run trades past their owners first before deals get done, especially major ones. To suggest that Bell/Rogers weren't involved somewhat in the Luongo talks given the amount of money and future impact it would have their organization is flat out ignorant. Of course they are involved.


Last edited by Peter Griffin: 01-09-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
  #202
jameswrjobe53
Registered User
 
jameswrjobe53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ODU, Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?

jameswrjobe53 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  #203
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain
 
The Horvatian One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?
Probably not as Spector stated that Nonis was one of the people who was advocating for Burke to do the deal.

The Horvatian One is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  #204
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?
nothing happened under the table.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  #205
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,923
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?
It legally can not take place until the weekend.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #206
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Sorry, what reason did they give? Was there an official reason as to why Burke was canned?
During the press conference they said they didn't like the way he conducted himself publicly and it wasn't to do with the team on the ice.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #207
Fraser Read
Registered User
 
Fraser Read's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cairns
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,984
vCash: 500
It makes sense why the Leafs Management is pushing for playoffs this year. Toronto has really struggled to attract big name free agents in the recent past. Mainly because nobody wants to play for a team that is highly scrutinized by the media/fans/community when they are losing. Well if you managed to make the team significantly better by adding Luongo right now and make the playoffs, you may be able to make a case to draw in big name FA's. Especially when you look at the current list of pending UFA's there is definite reason to want to have a successful season right now. Finishing 11th in the conference while holding your futures won't tempt Getzlaf to centre Kessel and Lupul for the 2013-2014 season. Even if you make a trade that could be potentially seen as bad years down the road from now and gamble on Luongo, if it means changing the perception that the Leafs are a losing team it may be worth it in the long run.

Fraser Read is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #208
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?
No because Nonis has been doing the work load for a lot of the trades the Leafs have made. Burke get s most of the credit but it's been said that Nonis is the one working behind the scenes on a lot of these deals. Burke is more the mouth for the team. He's more of the President and talking head then the actual GM.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #209
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Why is everyone so convinced Luongo would waive to go to Toronto? I see zero reason why he would want to do that from his perspective.
Wow the tone is sure changing.... I thought Luongo had too much pride, was just saying all the right things in the Media & wants to be a number 1 no matter where.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #210
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Fair enough. I don't agree, but I can see your view. Many in VAN don't view Kadri as a significant piece. Not at the level of a 1st in this draft, not nearly.


And I do think Kadri + Bozak + 2nd was on the table, confirmed by Millard/Shannon, but that it wasn't enough. So I guess we'll see.
Kadri isn't worth a first? Are you nuts? He's PPG in the AHL and ready to breakout as a star. Gimme a break.

Darylman is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  #211
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He has never said he wouldn't do either of those thing. in fact he said he would.
he SAID he would. But he wont. The media would have a field day with it as well

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  #212
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
You are without a clue considering you're speaking to a person who worked with the Rogers Regional manager and all they ever cared about was revenue / performance based business. So why would their business moto ever change for a sports franchise?
Ooooh the Regional Manager! Colour me impressed...not.

I've never suggested that Rogers motivation isn't profit, I'm simply saying that profit does not lead you to make the decision the Leafs made today. If profit was the motivation, and you don't feel Burke's regime is capable of generating profit (playoffs), then you swap out the regime.

They didn't do that. They kept his regime in place, but moved his bombastic personality away from being the face of the franchise, and also away from being the person who deals with substantial portions of your media conglomerate.

Thinking that the CEOs are going to get involved in player personnel decisions as to what makes more profit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
So why wait until the last second to make the move? Because they weren't forced to during the lockout? Organizations don't work like that, hell the COO even stated the reason they made the move now is because they didn't want to go forward with Burke knowing he wasn't who they wanted in place. The only explanation is that something very recently forced their hand. I don't believe for a second it was simply the lockout ending that caused it and they had to make the move. If they were convinced they wanted him gone back in September he would've been gone then.
They waited until it was necessary. Had there been a full-year lockout, no firing would've been neccessary. With the lockout ending, they had to either play under Brian Burke, or fire him.

What's recent that happened, was a CBA being signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
It makes sense why the Leafs Management is pushing for playoffs this year. Toronto has really struggled to attract big name free agents in the recent past. Mainly because nobody wants to play for a team that is highly scrutinized by the media/fans/community when they are losing. Well if you managed to make the team significantly better by adding Luongo right now and make the playoffs, you may be able to make a case to draw in big name FA's. Especially when you look at the current list of pending UFA's there is definite reason to want to have a successful season right now. Finishing 11th in the conference while holding your futures won't tempt Getzlaf to centre Kessel and Lupul for the 2013-2014 season. Even if you make a trade that could be potentially seen as bad years down the road from now and gamble on Luongo, if it means changing the perception that the Leafs are a losing team it may be worth it in the long run.
Again... player personnel decisions... do you really believe the CEO's of Bell/Rogers get involved in that?

seanlinden is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  #213
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
That is a delusional statement.
Why? Burke is still with the team. Nonis was Bukes closest advisor and Burke will likley be Nonis's.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  #214
darty
Registered User
 
darty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Closer to home, knows ownership. Primary issue has been goaltending and team defense.

Don't see why he would rule it out?

EDIT:

Also likely huge amounts of further oppurtunities for endorsements.
You're right, there are certainly some draws for playing in Toronto. Endorsements, a chance to be "the guy", lighter travel schedule with a few visits home, definitely.

On the other hand, the team he would be going to is far from a contender (he's not old, but he's not young either), so if he's got any drive to win the cup I don't see how the Leafs' current team would be anything but a negative.

There are plenty of teams around the league where Luongo could take over the #1 position. There's a good chance most of those teams have a better chance to win now than the Leafs (which, just in my opinion, Luongo should be concerned about at this stage in his career). If Luongo's only in it for the money and his own comfort, then I stand corrected, but if he's got the drive to win a cup or more I don't see how Toronto's a good fit for him. A least in the short term.

darty is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  #215
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
It makes sense why the Leafs Management is pushing for playoffs this year. Toronto has really struggled to attract big name free agents in the recent past. Mainly because nobody wants to play for a team that is highly scrutinized by the media/fans/community when they are losing. Well if you managed to make the team significantly better by adding Luongo right now and make the playoffs, you may be able to make a case to draw in big name FA's. Especially when you look at the current list of pending UFA's there is definite reason to want to have a successful season right now. Finishing 11th in the conference while holding your futures won't tempt Getzlaf to centre Kessel and Lupul for the 2013-2014 season. Even if you make a trade that could be potentially seen as bad years down the road and gamble on Luongo, if it means changing the perception of the leafs are a losing team it may be worth it in the long run.
Very well said, this exactly.

Kessely Snipes is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  #216
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Will Burke's firing cancel any Luongo trade if it has already occured under the table?
Nonis probably negotiated a deal for Luongo. Burke didnt like it. Ownership wasnt happy. Burke got fired.

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
  #217
BudMovin*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Kadri isn't worth a first? Are you nuts? He's PPG in the AHL and ready to breakout as a star. Gimme a break.
Lots of people are ppg in the AHL and never amount to anything in the NHL.

 
Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
  #218
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
he SAID he would. But he wont. The media would have a field day with it as well
Since when has Burke cared what the media would say/do?

cyris is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
  #219
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 29,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
You're right, there are certainly some draws for playing in Toronto. Endorsements, a chance to be "the guy", lighter travel schedule with a few visits home, definitely.

On the other hand, the team he would be going to is far from a contender (he's not old, but he's not young either), so if he's got any drive to win the cup I don't see how the Leafs' current team would be anything but a negative.

There are plenty of teams around the league where Luongo could take over the #1 position. There's a good chance most of those teams have a better chance to win now than the Leafs (which, just in my opinion, Luongo should be concerned about at this stage in his career). If Luongo's only in it for the money and his own comfort, then I stand corrected, but if he's got the drive to win a cup or more I don't see how Toronto's a good fit for him. A least in the short term.
Plenty of other teams... possibly but the main rumoured teams are Florida and Toronto. I don't know if I'd say Florida is that much better than TO.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
  #220
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Lots of people are ppg in the AHL and never amount to anything in the NHL.
Nazem Kadri is a prospect performing well in the AHL.

I suppose everyone should discount prospect performance in a professional hockey league, such as the AHL.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
  #221
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,444
vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Any examples? Because I can't think of any team that will be desperate to unload high-end talent. Especially with 2 amnesties to work with. And this FA class Leafs fans like to talk about will shrink once Getzlaf and Perry are inevitably signed. Besides, when's the last time the Leafs acquired an impact UFA?

Cap space is not going to save you in this league.
Who said anything about Getzlaf or Perry? Amnesty buyouts or not, your Canucks will have their own cap struggles. With 13 players signed and only 9M to play with leaves the Canucks with <1M left for each player to fill the roster out. If you buyout Ballard you'll only have ~1.2M left for each remaining player. How could you be so short-sighted? The Toronto Maple Leafs should not be dealing their most valuable futures to fill holes, yet. Whether Ownership decides otherwise is up to them but it will greatly determine how much interest I have in this team going forward.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
  #222
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Why? Burke is still with the team. Nonis was Bukes closest advisor and Burke will likley be Nonis's.
They didn't fire Burke just because him and Nonis wanted to get new job titles. This "senior advisor" is just PR BS, similar to what the Oilers did with Pat Quinn. Your GM is out. That changes nothing?

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
  #223
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Nonis probably negotiated a deal for Luongo. Burke didnt like it. Ownership wasnt happy. Burke got fired.
An assumption based of pretty much no facts.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
  #224
darty
Registered User
 
darty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
It makes sense why the Leafs Management is pushing for playoffs this year. Toronto has really struggled to attract big name free agents in the recent past. Mainly because nobody wants to play for a team that is highly scrutinized by the media/fans/community when they are losing. Well if you managed to make the team significantly better by adding Luongo right now and make the playoffs, you may be able to make a case to draw in big name FA's. Especially when you look at the current list of pending UFA's there is definite reason to want to have a successful season right now. Finishing 11th in the conference while holding your futures won't tempt Getzlaf to centre Kessel and Lupul for the 2013-2014 season. Even if you make a trade that could be potentially seen as bad years down the road from now and gamble on Luongo, if it means changing the perception that the Leafs are a losing team it may be worth it in the long run.

This is a very good point. Well said.

darty is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
  #225
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It legally can not take place until the weekend.
Why is that?

Moore Money is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.