Andrew Ference and Tyler Seguin to Plant Trees in the Rainforest for Each Goal

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 07:59 PM
BergyWho37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Not to get all political but.. ference plants trees and hits you over the head with his greenness and people applaud him for it.. thomas doesn't go to a glorified media event for political reasons and he's an *******?.. god i love this country.
I don't live in your country but agree .. P.S who cares they make millons and they need to score goals so they will plant trees .. Man o man what happened to doing things without trying to get glory for it !!

Hate this stuff and always will ..

Old
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
that someone would get up in arms about planting trees only gives credence to my ongoing treatise that some people are unconscionably childish
I don't get how a thread about planting trees in the rainforest turned political 5 posts in.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Can't believe this is getting politicized like Thomas snubbing the event at the White House. They're planting trees, not donating money to family planning. Pretty apolitical to me.
For every goal scored Seguin will donate a seed....

There will be little Seguins all over Boston.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:04 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
I don't get how a thread about planting trees in the rainforest turned political 5 posts in.
and it wasn't even me doing it, for once

Old
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I love Andy Ference.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
binder19

be cooler if it was donating to a charity that fed hungry people or kids or to an organization like the wounded warrior project etc. I guess its a nice thing to do but the reaction they get to an act like planting a tree in the rain forest makes me atleast . (cool) is how I feel.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
blazenlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I've never seen such a negative reaction to someone doing something absolutely harmless to others and in fact beneficial to others. I don't follow any players personal life because I simply don't care what their doing away from the game. I do however love hearing about players giving back to the communities in which and they make a living or anywhere really. This is a great and actually important thing Ference is trying to do. Why you view it as a negative because he's using his sort of celebrity status to bring awareness to it is just insane to me.
Exactly what I was going to say!...well not as nicely done.
WTG Ference!

Old
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I don't live in your country but agree .. P.S who cares they make millons and they need to score goals so they will plant trees .. Man o man what happened to doing things without trying to get glory for it !!

Hate this stuff and always will ..
It appears you haven't been following this, so I'll fill you in.

Ference made a joke tweet (poking fun at himself) after the CBA negotiations were over.

Quote:
Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle

For every NHL pass, a tree will be planted. Every NHL goal, a solar panel will be installed. Wait… what? Those proposals didn’t get in?!?
I'll repeat: It was a joke, a riff on his reputation as a tree-hugger.

Anyway, the website StanleyCupofChowder picked up on it, and sent out their own tweet:

Quote:
StanleyCupofChowder ‏@cupofchowdah

Okay, @ferknuckle. We're ready for the season. For every goal you score, we'll plant 50 trees. http://plantabillion.org/ Get going. #Bruins
To reiterate: Ference made a joke. Somebody else picked up on it and issued a challenge. He didn't originate it, but he responded:

Quote:
Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle

@cupofchowdah You guys are awesome! OK, I’ll match that offer but I’ve seen my career stats and will plant for @tylerseguin92 goals instead.
Since Ference scores about three goals per year, he'd donate a lot more by pledging Seguin's goal totals rather than his own.

StanleyCupOfChowder is now challenging its readers and fellow Bruins fans to get in on the pledging:

Quote:
StanleyCupofChowder ‏@cupofchowdah

Okay, kids: it's time to officially make your #treesforgoals pledge. Go post it in the comments here: http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2...s-organization
So to sum up, StanleyCupofChowder has taken a throwaway joke and turned it into a fundraiser for planting trees. I ask you: How is that not terrific? Because Ference will get "glory" for it? What "glory"?

That's one of the great things about twitter. Jokes and casual back and forth can turn into something bigger (and better) in the blink of an eye. A few months back, Ference challenged Patrick Burke via twitter to join the November project. Burke said he'd do so if his followers donated to You Can Play. By the time 48 hours had gone by, more than $3,000 had been collected! (And I doubt Burke thinks he covered himself with "glory" by running the steps at Harvard Stadium, but that's another story.)

Old
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
no, you see, the dude told tim thomas, pbuh, that he should recycle, therefore he is crap

how dare he try and push his lieberal agenda

Old
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhampt View Post
Tell Dick Nixon that. Founded EPA.
It all started with that commie pinko tree hugger Teddy Roosevelt and his pagan Arbor Day.

Seriously people, grow up. He's actually doing something, not just yammering on Facebook. And by the way, Andy has worked on behalf of the Wounded Warrior project too. Guy spreads it around. dredeye nailed it.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder19 View Post
be cooler if it was donating to a charity that fed hungry people or kids or to an organization like the wounded warrior project etc. I guess its a nice thing to do but the reaction they get to an act like planting a tree in the rain forest makes me atleast . (cool) is how I feel.
Just FYI, Ference does a lot of charity work, including work for You Can Play and Right to Play. He is a mensch of the highest order.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just FYI, Ference does a lot of charity work, including work for You Can Play and Right to Play. He is a mensch of the highest order.
Yeah, well I bet there's a few people who have problems with that too.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
binder19

Quote:
Oh I know, pretty much all of these guys do great things for charities. Ference in particular.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
It appears you haven't been following this, so I'll fill you in.

Ference made a joke tweet (poking fun at himself) after the CBA negotiations were over.

I'll repeat: It was a joke, a riff on his reputation as a tree-hugger.

Anyway, the website StanleyCupofChowder picked up on it, and sent out their own tweet:

To reiterate: Ference made a joke. Somebody else picked up on it and issued a challenge. He didn't originate it, but he responded:

Since Ference scores about three goals per year, he'd donate a lot more by pledging Seguin's goal totals rather than his own.

StanleyCupOfChowder is now challenging its readers and fellow Bruins fans to get in on the pledging:

So to sum up, StanleyCupofChowder has taken a throwaway joke and turned it into a fundraiser for planting trees. I ask you: How is that not terrific? Because Ference will get "glory" for it? What "glory"?

That's one of the great things about twitter. Jokes and casual back and forth can turn into something bigger (and better) in the blink of an eye. A few months back, Ference challenged Patrick Burke via twitter to join the November project. Burke said he'd do so if his followers donated to You Can Play. By the time 48 hours had gone by, more than $3,000 had been collected! (And I doubt Burke thinks he covered himself with "glory" by running the steps at Harvard Stadium, but that's another story.)
This is so interesting BLAH BLAH BLAH I want to plant trees zzzzz They're millionaires just do it cause ..not cause there challenged or some other BS and I don't need a Mediaholic telling me what was said on Twitter think it's time for a MA meeting

I was clear in my first post that I hate this stuff and always will !!

Old
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
ProdigalFan
HFBoards Sponsor

And Ference has talked about his friendship/association with various veterans groups over the years. He's one of the Bruins who donates tickets for veterans to attend on Military Appreciation Night.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:00 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Who wouldn't if your a millionaire ? need to be pretty selfish

Old
01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Bruins 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Not to get all political but.. ference plants trees and hits you over the head with his greenness and people applaud him for it.. thomas doesn't go to a glorified media event for political reasons and he's an *******?.. god i love this country.
Couldn't agree with you more ....

It just proves the whole thing about Timmy was political and not a locker room thing ... shame, shame the way he has been treated after bringing the Bruins a Stanley Cup ...

Old
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
Who wouldn't if your a millionaire ? need to be pretty selfish
Ference went to Africa for Right to Play (as did Chara). He's not just writing checks.

I can't fathom someone "hating" charity work. I thought I'd seen it all on these boards.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

**** this...Im cutting down 50 trees and sending them through a woodchipper just out of spite for every goal seguin scores.

Old
WBC8

Quote:
Ference went to Africa for Right to Play (as did Chara). He's not just writing checks.

I can't fathom someone "hating" charity work. I thought I'd seen it all on these boards.
Agreed. Good Lord. Its getting beyond ridiculous here.

Old
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I've never seen such a negative reaction to someone doing something absolutely harmless to others and in fact beneficial to others. I don't follow any players personal life because I simply don't care what their doing away from the game. I do however love hearing about players giving back to the communities in which and they make a living or anywhere really. This is a great and actually important thing Ference is trying to do. Why you view it as a negative because he's using his sort of celebrity status to bring awareness to it is just insane to me.
At what pointnting trees is a bad thing? do tell? Everytime you see ferences name its attached to something political.. carbon foot printing all that stuff has been politicized. I was making that connection to what thomas was roasted for for most of the second half of last year.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
The people who complain about celebrities 'bragging' about doing things for charity tend not to realize that they do it to bring attention to the charity and not themselves. It's a narrow-minded, knee-jerk reaction to fame or wealth.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Since when did making a charitable contribution become such a terrible thing? This thread is sad.

I am Boston Strong

Old
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:

Just like a mediaholic putting words in my mouth . Yes charities suck that what I said

Old
01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

At what point*.. Seriously was it that hard of a connection to follow haha. Ferences politics good (and yes i don't have problem planting treees) and is talked about at great lengths.. thomas.. ******* for having a belief and not going to the white house. Makes sense.

Closed Thread