HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 04:01 PM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
Watt made a great move to get Brady.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

It seems once the Pats offense gets going they're unstoppable.

Off topic: WTF is is "guru meditation"?

Old
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I love watching Watt play.

Houston's offense is so bad lately. Agree that I almost want the Pats to win because they have a much better chance against the Ravens. Although I think the Ravens will beat either of these teams unfortunately.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

If Houston loses, which seems likely, then I'm on team NFC.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
sniugneP

Watt is a beast!

Old
01-13-2013, 05:12 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Hell of a kick by Graham. That might have been good from 60.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

They needed those 10 points especially with NE getting the ball.

JJ Watt is the man. Easily the best defender in the league by a mile atm.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

oh snap forward progress. that's a bad call though but I'll take it

Old
01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

If NE puts up another TD before the Texans score it's over.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Texans remind me of the Penguins; Good team, can't win the big games.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
The Pens won a championship.

The Texans are more like the Nucks.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
I wonder who's gonna post those pics.

You know the ones.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:02 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
The Pens won a championship.

The Texans are more like the Nucks.
I'm talking about the last two years, aka, the two years the Texans have been relevant.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
If Houston loses, which seems likely, then I'm on team NFC.
Easily. Tony Gonzalez is a great player and human being, so I'm pulling for the ATL at this point.

If SF had a different coach, it might be a different story. Until then, F the Harbaugh brothers.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Shockmaster

These NFL playoffs should be a slap in the face to Art II and Steelers' management as to how out of touch they are with modern football. They need to acquire skill position for the offense out of this year's draft and stop expecting Ben to work with chicken scratch.

It's not always about ball control, it's about scoring points.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I'm talking about the last two years, aka, the two years the Texans have been relevant.
I didn't take them seriously this year or last. They are like the Falcons. I just can't take them seriously until they show they can win in the playoffs.

I figured the Texans would be one and done last year... This year I almost took them seriously until the Pats exposed them and they **** the bed and lost 3 of the last four. Their redzone offense was a joke the last quarter of the season. I already knew after last night it would be Balt-NE.

Atl won today, barely. They showed once again why I can't take them seriously either.

Hoping they prove me wrong, but.. ya...

Old
01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Jaded-Fan

Reviews of Huntingtons past few drafts here:

2008:

Overall Draft Class Recap

This was Huntington’s strongest draft class to date, and it isn’t close. 6 of the Pirates’ first 10 picks have already reached the Majors, and at least two more have a reasonable chance of doing so. Pedro Alvarez is the one impact-level talent Pirates’ fans should expect the team to select when they draft in the top 5. For a rookie GM making his first selections, this was an exciting number of hits. Unfortunately, Huntington and the organization struggled to match this success in the drafts that followed.

http://isportsweb.com/2012/12/26/pit...s-drafts-2008/

2009:

Considering the amount of eventual MLB talent that came from this first round (seriously- take the time to click through some of these players- it’s unreal), drafting Sanchez 4th overall was a huge missed opportunity on the Pirates’ part. To his credit, Sanchez has reached out to fans via social media, and has been an entertaining player to follow in his quest for the Majors. It’s certainly not his fault that the Pirates drafted him so highly. But his few strengths (defensive skills, high character) have been called into question, and the Pirates have made the internal decision to entrust catcher to an underperforming free agent instead.

Beyond Sanchez, the most troulbing aspect of the 2009 draft is the number of flameouts of highly-touted prep arms, once reaching low-A or high-A. In this author’s opinion, there are only 2 possibilites:

1. The Pirates- and the majority of colleges and organizations- overjudged the potential of these players in their pre-draft scouting reports. Their shortcomings manifested upon facing stiffer A-ball competition.

2. The players did have great ceilings, but the Pirates’ staffs at their A-ball locations- and/or the development philosophies of the organization on the whole- were ill-fitted to manifest their talents.

Although the primary media focus always falls upon the players selected, that’s really only the first step on the long, peril-filled road to the Majors. If an organization does not have the proper people and practices in place to mold high-ceiling prospects, the picks themselves become much less relevant.

http://isportsweb.com/2013/01/01/pit...s-drafts-2009/

and 2010:

It was going to be difficult to match the failure of the 2008 draft class, but unfortunately, the Pirates managed to do so the very next season. Unlike 2008, GM Huntington at least made the first round pick count. Jameson Taillon should be an anchor of the Pirates’ rotation as early as 2014. But beyond Taillon, there is literally nothing, outside of 4th rounder Nick Kingham continuing to develop, and Matt Curry getting a few big league at bats from the Pirates’ bench.

Stetson Allie’s alarmingly rapid departure from the mound highlights the risks of selecting raw, but high-upside prep arms early in the draft. While the Pirates should be praised for taking a gamble on such a player, it’s only fair that they also receive criticism when their minor league coaching and development staffs fail to develop any of that player’s potential.

Without Allie, the entire 2010 draft class essentially hinges on Jameson Taillon, and little else. And “little else” is accelerated when a team only signs 60% of their top ten, another risk in the high-stakes game of drafting high-ceiling prep talent committed to major college programs.

http://isportsweb.com/2013/01/12/pit...s-drafts-2010/

They have not done 2011 yet, but it is coming. Given our first round pick went back in the draft rather than sign with the Pirates knowing he would lose millions, it likely will not be pretty.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

looks like Im rooting for ATL at this point. Don't want to see Baltimore or New England win a superbowl, and I don't want to see San Fran get their 6th. If I had to pick between New England and Baltimore, I'd rather have New England win another one.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:18 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I will defend the Sanchez pick because a.) fluke injuries killed the guy (I mean who gets hit in the face with a pitch twice ever...nevermind in one year?) and b.) the draft class looked extremely mediocre at the time and everyone had questions...Sanchez was a safe pick that allowed the team to spend elsewhere. The guys who exploded after the draft weren't the guys that anyone saw as top 10 picks anyway. The Pirates didn't feel that guys like Aaron Crow (relief pitcher), Matt Hobgood (who holds a lovely 4-15 record in the minors), and Tyler Matzek (still toiling around in A ball with unimpressive numbers) were worth the $4+ million they were asking. Now there is one in that group that has blown up in a good way in Zack Wheeler, but in general the guys that the Pirates were wary of haven't done much of anything. And hey, we look bad for not drafting Mike Trout there...but 24 guys went before him and he wasn't even the first outfielder drafted by the Angels in that draft (that would be Randal Grichuk).

Now the scouts deserve some/a lot of derision for the fact that elsewhere has basically given us nothing but Vic Black, who is a potential closer, and a couple C+ grade arms (Colton Cain, Phil Irwin, Jeff Inman, etc.), but at the time you weren't going to find too many baseball people deriding that pick. Anyone comparing it to the Moskos pick, which was the biggest WTF moment in the draft since we drafted the top power hitter in college and made him a damn pitcher in 2001, is out of their element. You can't blame scouts for fluke injuries. You can blame them for Zack Von Rosenberg, however.

That said...the bonus babies from that draft are still 21. It's not out of question that one of them blooms. It takes a good 7 years before you can realistically look back at a baseball draft with any sort of certainty. A MLB Draft is considered to be a good one if you get two Major League players out of it and that certainly isn't out of the question for 2009, even with so many of the bonus babies not living up to their hype early on in their careers.

The big problem I have with draft retrospectives in baseball is that they so often miss the scope of the draft. To go back 7 years and look at one of the big market teams and look over their draft...yeah, that's really not too pretty. The Red Sox, for instance, had 4 picks in the top 44 in 2006 (thanks MLB compensation system for giving the Red Sox a 1st and 3rd round pick for losing a 35 year-old Bill Mueller who'd only play 32 more games before retiring!). Their 1st pick appears to be out of baseball entirely after hiting below the Menendez line in AA, their 2nd pick had a 6.22 ERA in 17 games last season, their 3rd pick is a non-prospect in our system now (Kris Johnson signed as a minor league free agent before last season), and their 4th pick still can't figure out how to get batters out in AA. They still got their 2 legitimate Major Leaguers out of the draft (Justin Masterson and Josh Reddick), but that's just the way the draft is in baseball. FWIW the Pirates' 2006 draft, under that tool Littlefield and his scouting network of a dart board and a phone book, gave us 3 Major Leaguers, though no studs (Brad Lincoln was seen by many as the best pitcher in the draft, but his arm fell off signing his contract...still he had a revival, Jared Hughes and Alex Pressley are both still on the roster...11th round pick Lonnie Chisenhall also made the Majors and was a top prospect, but he didn't sign in Pittsburgh and went in the 1st round two years later).

That 2009 draft is disappointing...but it's still too early to write it off as an abject failure. Sanchez is on his way to being a bust, but it's hard to blame the Pirates for his face acting like a baseball magnet...he was looking really good up until that 2nd one knocked him out for a long time.

Also, because I love perspective, let's look at the 4th overall picks of the past from 1994-2008 (aka the 15 before Sanchez)...
2008 - Brian Matusz - Baltimore rushed him (8 games in AA directly to the Majors) and the results have been pretty mixed. In 2011 he lost 9 games in only 12 appearances.
2007 - Daniel Moskos - **** David Littlefield. Nothing more needs to be said.
2006 - Brad Lincoln - Arm blew up, but has made it as a reliever.
2005 - Ryan Zimmerman - Stud.
2004 - Jeff Niemann - Was a decent bottom of the rotation guy for a couple years before falling off the map.
2003 - Tim Stauffer - Mediocre bottom of the rotation guy who barely pitched last year.
2002 - Adam Loewen - Top prospect who lost the ability to throw strikes almost randomly and then fractured his arm after being converted to reliever...toiling around the minors as an outfielder now, but has only made 32 at bats as a position player in the Majors.
2001 - Gavin Floyd - Solid #3/4 starter who has been a mainstay in the White Sox rotation the past 5 1/2 years.
2000 - Mike Stodolka - Never came close to the Majors and retired after his one and only season in AAA in 2008.
1999 - Corey Myers - Never sniffed the Majors.
1998 - Jeff Austin - Had a career -0.8 WAR and 6.75 ERA in his short time in the Majors.
1997 - Jason Grilli - Oh hey, now here's a familiar name. Just tells you how random relief pitchers can be...Grilli was once a top 50 B-A prospect as a starter who averaged a fairly pedestrian 6.7 K/9 in the minors.
1996 - Billy Koch - On the note of random relief pitchers...Koch was a damn fine closer in his first two seasons in Toronto, a mediocrity his third season, a stud in his fourth season in Oakland, and then utter crap after that. He had 144 saves in the Majors before his 28th birthday and 19 after.
1995 - Kerry Wood - Stud.
1994 - Antoine Williamson - Negative WAR player who only had a cup of tea in the Majors.

Long story short...the baseball draft is a mother****er and nothing is ever a guarantee. Hell, the best lesson is looking at the #1 picks between 2002-2008. Bryan Bullington (career -0.3 WAR), Delmon Young (0.6 WAR), Matt Bush (hitting .164 in the California Penal League), Justin Upton (13.1 WAR...getting paid like a star but little more than average), Luke Hochevar (-0.4 WAR), David Price (14.3 WAR...stud), & Tim Beckham (hasn't played in the Majors yet...has a lousy .709 OPS in the minors).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-14-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
[excised because so long].
It really is not any individual pick that there is an issue with. Even I know that drafting guys, a lot of whom were 17 years old during the season you are evaluating, is a crap shoot even at the top. So getting your panties in a wad over an individual pick is ridiculous. But you can look at the aggregate. ESPECIALLY when all we hear is how during that exact period the Pirates were the Yankees in paying overslot. It is an issue in the aggregate and there is no way to sugar coat it.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It really is not any individual pick that there is an issue with. Even I know that drafting guys, a lot of whom were 17 years old during the season you are evaluating, is a crap shoot even at the top. So getting your panties in a wad over an individual pick is ridiculous. But you can look at the aggregate. ESPECIALLY when all we hear is how during that exact period the Pirates were the Yankees in paying overslot. It is an issue in the aggregate and there is no way to sugar coat it.
I stand by my stance that it takes 7 years to truly be able to judge a draft class. I just won't write off a bunch of 21 year olds as complete and total busts yet. Are they top prospects? No...but that doesn't really mean anything. Fernando Martinez ranked higher than Andrew McCutchen (as did 31 others) in BA's 2009 Top Prospect list.

The point of throwing money at prep arms is the hope that one of them will hit and you look like a genius. If these kids were polished then they'd be getting the big bucks at the top of the first round instead of being drafted in the 6th round. Bonus babies are, invariably, going to have a minimal success rate...but the 2009 class does look extremely mediocre for the money that was spent overall.

I will say this...I have more faith in our scouts in Latin America than I do in our scouts in America right now.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I stand by my stance that it takes 7 years to truly be able to judge a draft class. I just won't write off a bunch of 21 year olds as complete and total busts yet. Are they top prospects? No...but that doesn't really mean anything. Fernando Martinez ranked higher than Andrew McCutchen (as did 31 others) in BA's 2009 Top Prospect list.

The point of throwing money at prep arms is the hope that one of them will hit and you look like a genius. If these kids were polished then they'd be getting the big bucks at the top of the first round instead of being drafted in the 6th round. Bonus babies are, invariably, going to have a minimal success rate...but the 2009 class does look extremely mediocre for the money that was spent overall.

I will say this...I have more faith in our scouts in Latin America than I do in our scouts in America right now.
Simple question, and looking for a serious response, not to score points or anything like that.

How much faith do you have in Huntington at that point? Drafting, FA, team building etc. And granting he is hamstrung by ownership that will not spend more than a bottom three or four in the entire league payroll.

I was against the hire when it was made given that the Indians had just demoted him, and was vocal about it. Do you still support him fully or have any reservations at all crept in? Again, this is not a slam hidden as a question, I am seriously curious as to your evaluation of his skills and the job done so far, and have no clue how you will answer.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Simple question, and looking for a serious response, not to score points or anything like that.

How much faith do you have in Huntington at that point? Drafting, FA, team building etc. And granting he is hamstrung by ownership that will not spend more than a bottom three or four in the entire league payroll.

I was against the hire when it was made given that the Indians had just demoted him, and was vocal about it. Do you still support him fully or have any reservations at all crept in? Again, this is not a slam hidden as a question, I am seriously curious as to your evaluation of his skills and the job done so far, and have no clue how you will answer.
A GM for a team like the Pirates, who we both agree is severely handicapped by an ownership group who cares far more about profit margins than winning, is tough to grade. A GM's biggest duty, in my eyes, is filling his staff with people who will make him look good...and I don't know if Huntington has done that. His track record with free agency is laughable (though excusable in many instances...it's next to impossible to convince a guy to sign on with a team that's been the butt-end of the league for two decades) and his trades have been hit and miss...but Huntington has infused the system with far more talent than it has had since the end of the 1992 season and he's gotten creative in his ways of searching for talent...which has some fairly impressive results in the low minors so far...but that's where it is a gray area. Huntington's legacy is the farm system, and it's hard to grade something like that before it's ready. We're picking an unripened tomato off the vine and yelling at it for not being ripe yet.

Huntington doesn't have any major red flags on his resume that just shout that this guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing - which Littlefield accumulated annually (deride anything you want about Huntington - nothing he has done, or likely ever will do, could come close to the immediate idiocy that was involved in things like the Van Benschoten pick (a decent pick at #8 if he was drafted as a first baseman...but he was drafted as a pitcher. It became known that the Pirates were the only team that rated him as a pitcher, and on top of it they refused to let him hit in the minors so once his pitching career inevitably flamed out he couldn't even fall back on hitting) or the Aramis Ramirez trade (I've never been more infuriated by any single transaction more than that one...and that was before Bruback was instantly lost to waivers).

Huntington is, in my opinion, a middle-of-the-road GM who's done decently given the circumstances dealt to him. He was handed the reigns of an awful team with no farm system and a miser of an owner and has had us in the race into August the past two years...that's worth something. If we don't see bigger results within a couple years I'd be in favor of moving on, but I believe he's earned the right to see his rebuilding process through it's run before being cast aside. That and I legitimately question the Pirates a.) ability to entice a better GM and b.) actually pay the guy if one showed interest. The grass isn't always greener.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:49 AM
JTG

I'm on ATL's bandwagon. I don't really dislike much about their team, and I've always been a gigantic fan of Tony Gonzalez. He stuck by a **** team for a really long time, and was fiercely loyal to them.

I marvel at guys like Wilson and Kaepernick...especially Kaepernick. The guy had talent, but he played in a system in college that is not conducive to producing NFL QB's. I love how the guy runs. Every stride he takes covers 5 yards, it seems. If you don't plan on keeping him in the pocket, he will kill you. He's also fixed some of his mechanical issues since leaving college. His release is a lot quicker. If he can continue to develop mentally and continue working on his mechanics, I think he has the tools to be a premier passer in this league. He can just kill you so many ways.

It seems more and more often, young QB's are able to come into the NFL and take an offense over.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Hopefully my Pats can get it done again and beat the **** out of the rival Ravens. Can't stand that team, hate everything about them

Let's Go Pats!

Closed Thread