HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
I agree. I can see why Pittsburgh gets mentioned as a potential relocation destination because of the new arena and good sports fans but it's still highly unlikely like you said.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Flat Stanley

Honestly, I tried getting into Basketball, watched some NBA Finals games and was rooting for the Spurs for a bit, but I lost interest. However, if Pittsburgh were to get an NBA team, I would watch their games and follow the team.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

If they are a winner, then people in this town will watch. If they aren't it will fail miserably.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

They'd be big with the college aged kids and old guys.

Tickets would have to be cheap. I don't see it succeeding, but you never know. There's plenty of basketball fans in the burgh....how many of them actually have money to go is another issue.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
JTG

I don't think even if they were winners that this town would support a basketball team.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:20 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I don't think even if they were winners that this town would support a basketball team.
I agree with this. While I really have no idea/basis for this, I just never hear anyone talk about the NBA around here. I could see if it was something that was discussed alot, but it's not even usually on in bars unless their's no other sports on.

I guess if we had a winning team people would come around at least a bit though. I'm curious to see how a NBA team would do here, but doubt we'll ever see it.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

The thing about the NBA is it's by far the worst league for parity. There's about 3-4 teams with a legit shot at the title, and I'm guessing the Pittsburgh team would not be one of those. I don't think it'd work out.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

The NBA would be an abject failure in Pittsburgh.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-16-2013, 06:28 PM
JTG

I hope Chance Warmack drops to us. I really do. I just want to see that line so bad.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'm not a basketball fan but it still caught my attention when I saw Jerry Buss died. He got a full life since he died at 80. It's still sad to see such a legendary owner pass away though.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Flat Stanley

A guy I suggested the Steelers make a trade for was released today, Steve Breaston.

Pittsburgh native, played for Todd Haley in Arizona and Kansas City, the Steelers are losing Wallace. Makes sense to sign him.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
A guy I suggested the Steelers make a trade for was released today, Steve Breaston.

Pittsburgh native, played for Todd Haley in Arizona and Kansas City, the Steelers are losing Wallace. Makes sense to sign him.
Yeah. He actually fit well in Hayley's offense too.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:

Completely agree. Immediate upgrade over Emmanuel Sanders, who I still don't like. Too soft.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:15 AM
PensFan68

I loved Breaston in AZ and would like to see him here. Haven't seen him in KC. Why did they let him go? Was his salary high or not performing? Has his play went down hill in the last few years? As I said, loved watching AZ when he Fitz and Boldin were there. Exciting team.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I loved Breaston in AZ and would like to see him here. Haven't seen him in KC. Why did they let him go? Was his salary high or not performing? Has his play went down hill in the last few years? As I said, loved watching AZ when he Fitz and Boldin were there. Exciting team.
When Todd Haley left, his production dropped. In 2011 with Haley, he had 61 receptions for 785 yards and 2 touchdowns, last year with Romeo Crennel, he had 7 receptions for 74 yards and no touchdowns, barely played.

Seems like a fit in a Todd Haley offense, almost makes too much sense for the Steelers to sign him.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
JTG

I didn't pay attention to Breaston last season. I'm shocked those were his stats. He's way too talented for numbers like that.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:

In between him flourishing in Haley's system, returning to his home town and Wallace going elsewhere (Miami seems to be the consensus), it's a slam dunk.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:45 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I didn't pay attention to Breaston last season. I'm shocked those were his stats. He's way too talented for numbers like that.
I think he was injured in most of last season.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
In between him flourishing in Haley's system, returning to his home town and Wallace going elsewhere (Miami seems to be the consensus), it's a slam dunk.
He's also only 29 years old with winning experience, he knows what it takes to get to a Super Bowl.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

All aboard the Breaston train.

Seems like it makes too much sense...somewhere, it will hit a snag. Top 4 of Brown, Breaston, Sanders and Cotchery with a healthy #7...I'll take that.

And reduces the need, at least short term, of replacing Wallace - though none of those guys is the deep threat of Wallace.

Allows the Steelers to not look WR in the top 3 rounds of this year, and concentrate on OLB, S/CB, and RB

Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
All aboard the Breaston train.

Seems like it makes too much sense...somewhere, it will hit a snag. Top 4 of Brown, Breaston, Sanders and Cotchery with a healthy #7...I'll take that.

And reduces the need, at least short term, of replacing Wallace - though none of those guys is the deep threat of Wallace.

Allows the Steelers to not look WR in the top 3 rounds of this year, and concentrate on OLB, S/CB, and RB
I'm really starting to think this draft needs to be more about the skill positions on offense rather than defense. Yes, in recent years the Steelers have done a VERY poor job of bringing up young talent on defense to replace the aging veterans. Some of that is bad drafting, some of it is LeBeau being stubborn and insisting young players sit on the bench for 3 years. However, when you watched the 2013 playoffs, did you sit there thinking "Yeah! Time of possession! Yeah! Hard hitting defense! Yeah! 10-7 final scores!"?

If anything, the entire 2013 NFL playoffs should have been a slap in the face to the Steelers and their outdated philosophies. It's no longer about possession on offense, it's about scoring. On defense, it's not about yards allowed, it's about splash plays - turnovers and sacks. Unfortunately, I think Artie wants to relive the past.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Forget about the NBA...how about the Olympics?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...in-pittsburgh/

Old
02-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Nothing more than hit hunting by KDKA there.

It was a form letter sent to 35 cities and it mentions Tulsa, Oklahoma as being interested in getting the Summer Olympics.

Tulsa is not getting the ****ing Summer Olympics, nor is Pittsburgh.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Pittsburgh couldn't even come close to having enough hotels and space to bring everything in. That's beyond hit hunting. It's not even plausible.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
JTG

Haha. Pittsburgh is just not built for something of that magnitude.

Closed Thread