HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
Remember Zach Thomas? This guy didn't have good measurables. Too slow and too short. He was drafted in 5th round and played for 13 years. He was named Pro Bowl 7 times. He had great instincts and always had a knack around the ball to make up his lack of speed.

I wouldn't read 40 times too much. We have seen guys who ran under 4.3 didn't succeed in NFL.

Last edited by sniugneP; 02-25-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Old
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Pens1566

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Tebow had a great college career. Te'o was a marginal LB who only got publicity due to a an eventual hoax. He was not the best player in CFB nor the best D player (Clowney) or LB (Shazier, Jones).
Didn't say he wasn't good in college. Just that he wasn't the messiah (pun intended) the media made him out to be. He never came out of blowouts early and padded his stats quite a bit. At least he had the stats, where Teo doesn't. I'd guess that Teo will be a more prolific professional player though.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Both guys at CBS ( not that they are great at scouting) now have Damontre Moore falling to us. I don't care if he only put up 2 reps. This isn't a bodybuilding competition. I'd absolutely take him at 17. However, GMs will also not care about that and he will be gone top 6.

I do have a feeling someone will fall though, as usual. I don't see it being Moore, but could it be Jarvis Jones, Star Lotulelei , Dee Milliner ? I'd take any of em.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:59 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Didn't say he wasn't good in college. Just that he wasn't the messiah (pun intended) the media made him out to be. He never came out of blowouts early and padded his stats quite a bit. At least he had the stats, where Teo doesn't. I'd guess that Teo will be a more prolific professional player though.
For every annoying person that over hyped tebow , there's an equal amount of annoying people that hate him for really no reason. Just saying.

By the way, not directed at you...you were just the last post that mentioned him

Old
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Misunderstood you.

Regarding Moore, haven't watched much on him other than the Alabama game and I didn't notice him at all.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Misunderstood you.

Regarding Moore, haven't watched much on him other than the Alabama game and I didn't notice him at all.
I thought Moore looked very good early in the season, so good that I thought he might be a top 5 pick. I particularly liked his game against LSU until he tweaked his leg/ankle about midway through that game. I didn't see that much of him later in the season, but he's definitely one I want the Steelers to draft if he's available.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...-void-contract
Quote:
Steven Jackson's record-setting career with the St. Louis Rams could be coming to an end.

Jackson, the Rams' career rushing leader, plans to void the final year of his contract to become a free agent March 12, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Monday.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
wheelz87
LGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Not sure how much he wants, not sure how much we have to give, and I have no idea how the NFL salary cap works, but I would welcome him to the black and gold.

But that of course would mean we would be signing a free agent and that ain't happening!

Old
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
We don't have the cap space to sign anyone of a higher profile than Steve Breaston.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
We don't have the cap space to sign anyone of a higher profile than Steve Breaston.
I agree, which is why it makes sense to sign him. Steelers don't sign big name free agents, we have a hole at the WR position, Breaston is the ideal guy to sign because of Haley. Like I said before, the fact that he's from Pittsburgh is just a bonus.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
JTG

Steven Jackson is probably my favorite runningback in the NFL.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
OnMyOwn
Outlive

How much longer will he be any good? He has a **** ton of miles on him.

I'm expecting a serious drop in production shortly

Old
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Alex Smith traded to KC.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
According to multiple reports, the Chiefs gave up a second-round pick (No. 34 overall) this year as well as additional compensation next year. The Niners now have 15 picks in this year's draft.
USA Today

Solid deal by KC; that second round pick was probably going to be used on a QB anyway. Now they know they got a sure thing.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Bennett Brauer

Yeah, but now the 49ers, a team who just went to the Super Bowl, get an early 2nd in a deep draft. They will have the 31st pick and the 34th pick.

Good deal by the Chiefs though, you need the proven guy over a rookie.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
USA Today

Solid deal by KC; that second round pick was probably going to be used on a QB anyway. Now they know they got a sure thing.
Calling Alex Smith a "sure thing" is a joke, more like a known mediocre commodity. Cannot believe they gave a 2nd for him (not to mention the 33rd pick overall), not to mention a conditional mid round pick in 2014.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Calling Alex Smith a "sure thing" is a joke, more like a known mediocre commodity. Cannot believe they gave a 2nd for him (not to mention the 33rd pick overall), not to mention a conditional mid round pick in 2014.
I agree, but he's more of a "sure thing" over a 2nd round pick.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:56 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I agree, but he's more of a "sure thing" over a 2nd round pick.
I suppose you're right, but are the Chiefs really one mediocre QB away from the playoffs? They need help all over the place and just gave up the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
I suppose you're right, but are the Chiefs really one mediocre QB away from the playoffs? They need help all over the place and just gave up the 1st pick in the 2nd round.
QB class in this draft is bad. I think Smith will do fine under Reid. He's definiteiy an upgrade over Cassels and Quinn.

KC defense is very good. They need some help on offense especially at receiver.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Yeah, I don't see that as a good move whatsoever. I get that this draft is pretty lousy with QB's but you'd just like to hope that with the 33rd overall pick they'd get someone with upside higher than Alex freaking Smith. If they want a known commodity theres plenty of free agents that'll probably yield similar results. Glad I am not a fan of the chiefs because that'd be a kick in the nuts if that was supposed to be our QB of the future.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
bambamcam4ever
107 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
QB class in this draft is bad. I think Smith will do fine under Reid. He's definiteiy an upgrade over Cassels and Quinn.

KC defense is very good. They need some help on offense especially at receiver.
The deepest passes Smith threw with SF were 8-yard outs. He's a subpar at best QB who had better stats the last 2 years because he was only required to throw underneath almost the entire time and any QB can complete those passes, not to mention that his receivers were always open because SF sets picks on every play and are never called for it. I'd rather take my chances drafting a QB in the second or third round than trade away 2 picks for Smith and his $8M per year contract.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Smith is a better QB than I'd bet on any of the QBs in this class being.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
The deepest passes Smith threw with SF were 8-yard outs. He's a subpar at best QB who had better stats the last 2 years because he was only required to throw underneath almost the entire time and any QB can complete those passes, not to mention that his receivers were always open because SF sets picks on every play and are never called for it. I'd rather take my chances drafting a QB in the second or third round than trade away 2 picks for Smith and his $8M per year contract.
He'll fit well under Reid. He's a game manager who doesn't make too many mistakes. The picks they gave up may be little high but they need a QB bad. No guarantee that Glennon or Barkley or any other QB prospects will succeed in NFL.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
bambamcam4ever
107 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Smith is a better QB than I'd bet on any of the QBs in this class being.
Just because Smith is paid like a starter doesn't mean he is anything more than a backup QB. There are plenty of those in free agency and I'm sure some of the QBs in the draft will reach at least that level as well.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
bambamcam4ever
107 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
He'll fit well under Reid. He's a game manager who doesn't make too many mistakes. The picks they gave up may be little high but they need a QB bad. No guarantee that Glennon or Barkley or any other QB prospects will succeed in NFL.
They're going to suck anyway. You may as well keep the picks and build for the future.

Closed Thread