HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
WarriorScholar

vCash: 500
Alex smith was only good because of harbaugh, period. Now the question is, will the chiefs be smart enough to instill that same offense for smith ?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
Just because Smith is paid like a starter doesn't mean he is anything more than a backup QB. There are plenty of those in free agency and I'm sure some of the QBs in the draft will reach at least that level as well.
There's no one better than him in free agency and as I just said I don't think highly of any of the QBs in this draft.

He's better than people around here give him credit for, but not as good as fans in the Bay Area said he was. The truth is he's somewhere in-between, somewhere in that 20-25 range of QBs in my mind. He has no arm strength, but Reed is a West Coast guy so that's not a huge issue.

I think that was too much to give up for him, but I see why they did it. Kansas City needs a QB, he's a clear upgrade over what they have, and they have as much faith in this QB class as I do.

Given Reed's history they'll draft a QB in the 5th round and trade him for two 2nd rounders in a couple years anyway.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
sniugneP

Timmons' and Brown's contracts were restructured today. Steelers are now about 7 millions over the cap. They are working to restructure deals on Ben and Woodley.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
JTG

I love Woodley, but he should give half his money back.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I love Woodley, but he should give half his money back.
I believe he may have already eaten that half...

Old
02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Timmons' and Brown's contracts were restructured today. Steelers are now about 7 millions over the cap. They are working to restructure deals on Ben and Woodley.
I hate all this restructuring. I know it's a must, but sooner or later this is going to kill us. At some point down the road we're going to have to release a good player because we're taking hits into later years. Just release some players.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but let Polamalu go. He only plays a few games a season, and it would save us about $5 mil. Either that or ask him to take a drastic cut. He's just not worth his salary at this point because of injuries. Harrison would also be around $5 mil. He may rebound, but he's getting older so let a young guy play.

I must admit, I'm not that knowledgeable about the salary cap in the NFL. It just seems stupid that every year they are delaying cap cost. You can only do this so long before it backfires, right?

Old
02-28-2013, 04:56 AM
sniugneP

I agree that restructuring deals are getting old. Just once I would like to see some space in cap so we can sign some good free agents.

I have not heard anything about Harrison. It doesn't look like they're going to restructuring his deal any time soon. I think they will release him.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The cap eventually will go up so I don't think it will hurt them all that much in the future.

Steve Breaston is supposed to visit with the Steelers today. I'd imagine the Steelers will be offering close to the NFL minimum wage so he may continue to look around for a while before settling for their offer. It would be nice to land him though. It would allow us to ignore the WR position a bit and just take the BPA in whatever spot we would have taken a WR. Not saying they can't take a WR still if one is the BPA with one of their picks.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I thought the Alex Smith move was okay for both sides. It improves the Chiefs at QB by default since they really couldn't get any worse there.

He's the type of QB that's frustrating though. He's decent enough to manage games, get some wins, maybe make the playoffs but he won't get you over the top to win a championship, imo. He reminds me of the many QB's the Steelers had in between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger in that regard.

The 49ers got another pick to use in the draft or as trade bait. There's rumors they've talked with the Jets about trading for Revis. The thought of that defense adding Revis is scary. Thankfully the 49ers play in the NFC.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I thought the Alex Smith move was okay for both sides. It improves the Chiefs at QB by default since they really couldn't get any worse there.

He's the type of QB that's frustrating though. He's decent enough to manage games, get some wins, maybe make the playoffs but he won't get you over the top to win a championship, imo. He reminds me of the many QB's the Steelers had in between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger in that regard.

The 49ers got another pick to use in the draft or as trade bait. There's rumors they've talked with the Jets about trading for Revis. The thought of that defense adding Revis is scary. Thankfully the 49ers play in the NFC.
You have to wonder how they can afford all those players especially on defense under the cap.

Wouldn't shock me if they use second rounder on QB like Barkley or Glennon. Kaepernick will run the ball a lot and will get hurt eventually.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
You have to wonder how they can afford all those players especially on defense under the cap.

Wouldn't shock me if they use second rounder on QB like Barkley or Glennon. Kaepernick will run the ball a lot and will get hurt eventually.
What's also scary is that team may already be the most talented team in the league and they're going to have 15 draft picks this year once they receive their 3 compensation picks. Their draft picks include a 1st, two 2nd's and two 3rds.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
JTG

Yeah, the 9ers are set up pretty damn well, and have limited needs really. They are going to be taking the BPA every single round, or maybe they parlay some picks like New England did for years? Don't take anyone in the 2nd, and see if a team is will to trade a 1st in 2014

Old
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM
JTG

I'm very curious to see what this heart condition with Lotulelei will lead to. He's a hell of a football player.

And the more I look at this current roster, the more I'd lean with you guys here that if we're going to move to a 4-3 defense, now is the time to do it.

I see a lot of mocks having us take Jenkins-DT out of Georgia. If we drafted the kid, the first thing I'd make him do if I were Colbert and Tomlin is drop 30 lbs.

I've been pumping the tires of Desmond Trufant all year, and it looks as though most boards are having him move up into the 1st round. Not terribly surprising.

Last edited by JTG: 03-01-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old
03-01-2013, 08:42 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
I'm very curious to see what this heart condition with Lotulelei will lead to. He's a hell of a football player.

And the more I look at this current roster, the more I'd lean with you guys here that if we're going to move to a 4-3 defense, now is the time to do it.

I see a lot of mocks having us take Jenkins-DT out of Georgia. If we drafted the kid, the first thing I'd make him do if I were Colbert and Tomlin is drop 30 lbs.

I've been pumping the tires of Desmond Trufant all year, and it looks as though most boards are having him move up into the 1st round. Not terribly surprising.
You must not be aware, but Tomlin lacks the discipline to make anyone do that!

Seriously though, I'd be leery of drafting a guy in the 1st round that you are drastically changing what he did in college, unless you are prepared to wait 3 seasons for an impact.

I really think based on the squawking from the offseason, and the Rainey and Ta'amu crap, they are not drafting any player who has any sort of mark next to their name.

Ogletree could be sitting at 17, and no way they touch him. They can't afford the risk.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Falcons cleaning house a bit releasing Michael Turner, John Abraham and Dunta Robinson.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
sniugneP

NFL raised the cap to 123M, about 2.4M increase from last season.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Falcons cleaning house a bit releasing Michael Turner, John Abraham and Dunta Robinson.
Damn, aren't they 3 key players for them? I wonder if they will be willing to return to the Falcons on cheaper deals if the Falcons want them.

In other NFL news, the Cardinals released LB Stewart Bradley and CB William Gay

Should the Steelers try to bring William Gay back on the cheap for CB depth? It sucked last year, who was playing? Josh Victorian?

Old
03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Flat Stanley

Well....The Steelers aren't signing Breaston, not yet anyways.
Quote:
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
Source: #Steelers won't sign Breaston now. They may revisit him later if he remains unsigned.

Seems like an arrogant decision to me, the guy is a perfect fit for Haley's offense, we're losing Wallace, they know that, we know that, if they think they will be successful with their current receivers plus ones they might draft, I think they're wrong.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
PensFan68

Maybe he wants too much money, or the Steelers just want to see how the cap situation plays out first.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
Maybe he wants too much money, or the Steelers just want to see how the cap situation plays out first.
Maybe, but I don't see how he would ask for too much money when there isn't a market for him, the Browns have opted not to sign, if the Browns don't want you, you should drop your price

Rumor has it that the Steelers want to sign him to league minimum, maybe that's not enough for him.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:06 AM
JTG

Ziggy Ansah may be too hard for Colbert and Co to pass up on. The physical traits of the guy are just incredible.

He's just so raw. He's not going to help us for 3-4 years, if ever. Huge boom or bust, and that's not something we could use right now.

I'd love to be in the position of San Fran. No holes, ton of picks to play with...I'd draft him, and use him immediately as a situational pass rusher.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Ziggy Ansah may be too hard for Colbert and Co to pass up on. The physical traits of the guy are just incredible.

He's just so raw. He's not going to help us for 3-4 years, if ever. Huge boom or bust, and that's not something we could use right now.

I'd love to be in the position of San Fran. No holes, ton of picks to play with...I'd draft him, and use him immediately as a situational pass rusher.
I have the same feeling about the guards. I don't think they want to spend another 1st on the O-Line but if one of Warmack or Cooper are there that's going to be hard to pass up especially since they will be immediate impact starters that will make you better from day one.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
JTG

Quote:
I have the same feeling about the guards. I don't think they want to spend another 1st on the O-Line but if one of Warmack or Cooper are there that's going to be hard to pass up especially since they will be immediate impact starters that will make you better from day one.
Odd you said what you said, because I said the exact same thing to a friend yesterday. If we are looking to get an immediate ROI from our 2013 draft pick...picking one of the guards is the safest bet, and to be completely honest, either one could make a Pro Bowl this next season. They are both that good.

Chance Warmack is so hyped up that it's starting to scare me. Multiple scouting reports have called him the guard prospect of the decade. Some saying they haven't seen one better since Steve Hutchinson...others say he is actually better than Steve Hutchinson.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:16 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Joe Flacco, highest paid player in NFL history.

I ain't making this **** up.

I'm gonna hurry to try and make an NFL roster though, throw up some jump balls to my wideouts, and hope they catch them. Hey, it worked for this guy.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:17 AM
sniugneP

This draft is so difficult to predict, even Top 5 picks. There is really no consensus number 1 pick. Wouldn't surprise me if Chiefs pick Fisher or Joeckel, if they don't trade.

I'm torn about Steelers pick. I'll be ecstatic if Lotulelei or Warmack falls into our pick. I have to wonder about Lotulelei's heart condition.

Closed Thread