HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA, and Arena Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

vCash: 500
Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA, and Arena Part VIII

Previous thread - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...403961&page=40

Old
05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
maruk14

To answer the question from the other thread

About Balsille and differences I would say the biggest is that Hansen has a signed and binding sale agreement with the family that owns the team (despite what Stern thinks - he does not own the team) and that family has expressed on more than one occasion their desire to see that contract thru,

Also - as was pointed out, Balsille was trying to buy the Coyotes out of bankruptcy, a method that was used to try and circumvent the league's sale process. Hansen has followed every rule the league has put out there and is seeing the formal process thru, even as the league is seemingly changing the rules of the game at every turn to try and bolster a Sacramento bid.

Now what happens after if the league tries to reject the sale (on what grounds?) is anyone's guess.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Whatever prospects that Seattle had for an NHL team are sadly dead until an NBA team gets lined up. Kings, if whatever's being worked on in Sacraento falls through, or Bucks are really the two only candidates left for relocation as far as I can tell.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:14 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Whatever prospects that Seattle had for an NHL team are sadly dead until an NBA team gets lined up. Kings, if whatever's being worked on in Sacraento falls through, or Bucks are really the two only candidates left for relocation as far as I can tell.
why? what's to stop a hockey-crazed billionaire from taking the lead to build the arena? or, are you suggesting an implicit admission that hockey is and always will play second fiddle to basketball in seattle?

Old
05-10-2013, 10:14 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
About Balsille and differences I would say the biggest is that Hansen has a signed and binding sale agreement with the family that owns the team (despite what Stern thinks - he does not own the team) and that family has expressed on more than one occasion their desire to see that contract thru,

Also - as was pointed out, Balsille was trying to buy the Coyotes out of bankruptcy, a method that was used to try and circumvent the league's sale process. Hansen has followed every rule the league has put out there and is seeing the formal process thru, even as the league is seemingly changing the rules of the game at every turn to try and bolster a Sacramento bid.

Now what happens after if the league tries to reject the sale (on what grounds?) is anyone's guess.
What rule did Balsillie not follow when he attempted to purchase the Predators?

Old
05-10-2013, 10:22 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
why? what's to stop a hockey-crazed billionaire from taking the lead to build the arena? or, are you suggesting an implicit admission that hockey is and always will play second fiddle to basketball in seattle?
First, that's a humongous if you're suggesting there. There has been no indication that anyone's remotely interested in building a new arena without a basketball team there first.

Second, yes... hockey will be second fiddle to basketball in Seattle if the Sonics ever come back. It's not knocking that market, as that's the case in every American market that has teams in both except Minnesota and Detroit and Philly when the Pistons and Sixers stink. Saying that the Bulls, Lakers, Suns, Mavericks, Nuggets, Knicks, Celtics, Heat, etc. are more popular than their NHL counterparts isn't knocking the Hawks, Kings, etc. It's stating a simple fact. Basketball's more popular almost across the board in the United States, and Seattle would be no exception.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 05-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
DyerMaker66

You feel as though basketball is more popular than hockey in Boston? I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering what makes you think this.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
You feel as though basketball is more popular than hockey in Boston? I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering what makes you think this.
Same case as the Bulls being more popular than the Hawks in Chicago. We may all be predisposed to hear more about the hockey teams than the basketball teams, and we're likewise quick to comment on the huge outpouring of support that the Hawks and Bruins both got in their recent championships, but from an overall market perspective the basketball teams are more popular in terms of overall attention paid to the teams and in revenues generated. And not just talking about national coverage, but local coverage as well. Not claiming to be a Boston insider, but at least from everything I've heard from friends and family that have been there, visited or lived, the local press appears to pay more attention to the Celtics than the Bruins, with the exception being during the Bruins Cup run.

Boston may be on the next tier of fandoms when it comes to places where the NHL is closest to the NBA, not on the same level as Minnesota, Detroit, and Philly, but above Chicago, L.A., D.C., Dallas, Colorado, etc., but I'm not willing to go past that.

And even if the Bruins were more popular than the Celtics, it's a moot point. Saying that the Sonics would be more popular than the Totems/Thunderbirds/Breakers/Metropolitans/whatevers isn't a bad thing. If an NHL team in Seattle was like the Hawks or the Kings or the Capitals or the Stars (prior to their fall under their old regime), they'd be a very successful club even under more popular NBA teams.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Moyes put the team in bankruptcy to try and force the sale to Balsillie ... if you don't think he was complicit in that then we have a difference of opinion on that whole fiasco.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Moyes put the team in bankruptcy to try and force the sale to Balsillie ... if you don't think he was complicit in that then we have a difference of opinion on that whole fiasco.
wrong city

Old
05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
wrong city
I guess so - I completely glossed over that he mentioned the Preds and assumed we were talking Coyotes. My bad.

However, the question I brought up from the other thread (and I should have posted here in hindsight) was:

Question:

How does this differ from Balsille buying the Coyotes and then the NHL coming in and stopping the deal?

Old
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
maruk14

Quote:
To address the Preds situation directly - the owner decided not to sell the Balsille. In the Kings situation the owner has expressed on multiple occasions their desire to complete the deal with Hansen and at the end of the day the Maloofs own the team, not the NBA.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
First, that's a humongous if you're suggesting there. There has been no indication that anyone's remotely interested in building a new arena without a basketball team there first.

Before the Hansen plan came out ahead, there was a group planning on building an arena in Bellevue and it was based off the idea that a hockey team would come first

Old
05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
and Detroit and Philly when the Pistons and Sixers stink.
I can't speak for Detroit and the Pistons, but the Flyers crush in the 76ers in popularity in Philly and the metro. The 76ers are barely relevant and don't garner that much coverage.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
Before the Hansen plan came out ahead, there was a group planning on building an arena in Bellevue and it was based off the idea that a hockey team would come first
Here is one of several articles which back this point up:

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/..._hockey27.html

I've even posted about this in recent weeks considering how murky things are getting with the Kings situation, as I wonder whether Levin might try to resurrect discussions about this plan if the Hansen deal gets nixed and Seattle is somehow completely spurned by the NBA. It would be very interesting to see this happen.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
Here is one of several articles which back this point up:

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/..._hockey27.html

I've even posted about this in recent weeks considering how murky things are getting with the Kings situation, as I wonder whether Levin might try to resurrect discussions about this plan if the Hansen deal gets nixed and Seattle is somehow completely spurned by the NBA. It would be very interesting to see this happen.
Problem is always has been for the idea of arena in Bellevue is funding. Its not going to happen.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Problem is always has been for the idea of arena in Bellevue is funding. Its not going to happen.
Not only funding but infrastucture and ingress and egress (just like it will be in Sac if they stick to the DTP site, according to some). The beauty of the SODO site is there are 2 stadiums already there and it is the main transportation hub for the entire region.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
maruk14

This is interesting

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1m
Longtime NBA beat writer @RicBucher reports Sac #NBAKings group still seeking investors: http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/...source=twitter

Maybe they can recruit Greg Jamison!

Old
05-10-2013, 01:31 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Most likely, but only because of my bias in the situation.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Most likely, but only because of my bias in the situation.
We all have our biases.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Not only funding but infrastucture and ingress and egress (just like it will be in Sac if they stick to the DTP site, according to some). The beauty of the SODO site is there are 2 stadiums already there and it is the main transportation hub for the entire region.
No arguments there that this site would not be ideal, just saying that there once were rumblings about Bellevue being looked at as an option and that those rumblings could come back around if the Hansen deal goes south.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Same case as the Bulls being more popular than the Hawks in Chicago. We may all be predisposed to hear more about the hockey teams than the basketball teams, and we're likewise quick to comment on the huge outpouring of support that the Hawks and Bruins both got in their recent championships, but from an overall market perspective the basketball teams are more popular in terms of overall attention paid to the teams and in revenues generated. And not just talking about national coverage, but local coverage as well. Not claiming to be a Boston insider, but at least from everything I've heard from friends and family that have been there, visited or lived, the local press appears to pay more attention to the Celtics than the Bruins, with the exception being during the Bruins Cup run.

Boston may be on the next tier of fandoms when it comes to places where the NHL is closest to the NBA, not on the same level as Minnesota, Detroit, and Philly, but above Chicago, L.A., D.C., Dallas, Colorado, etc., but I'm not willing to go past that.

And even if the Bruins were more popular than the Celtics, it's a moot point. Saying that the Sonics would be more popular than the Totems/Thunderbirds/Breakers/Metropolitans/whatevers isn't a bad thing. If an NHL team in Seattle was like the Hawks or the Kings or the Capitals or the Stars (prior to their fall under their old regime), they'd be a very successful club even under more popular NBA teams.
I've just always got the impression (from family who live in Clinton, Mass.) that in terms of popularity it went Sox, Bruins, Celtics, then Pats (obviously that's a little out of whack with how good the Pats have been over the last decade).

Old
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Supposedly Hansen has increased his offer to $625M.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

AND BOOM

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m

BREAKING: Chris Hansen raises bid on #NBAKings to $625 Million - up $75 million from previous offer.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 2m

BREAKING: The $625 million dollar pricetag for #NBAKings would put franchise on par with Miami Heat, as 6th most valuable in NBA per Forbes.

BREAKING: Hansen's group all agrees to be a revenue sharing payee if #NBAKings team moves to Seattle, including years at KeyArena.

And Boom goes the dynamite.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Hansen just dropped the Mic and walks off the stage.

Closed Thread