HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Azkals

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Pens-Flyers game sets local ratings record in Pittsburgh.

Now I'm a little confused by that, which isn't surprising considering it's Rossi, but that 515,000 raw number would be far higher than a 16.5 rating in a television market of Pittsburgh's size.

The Pittsburgh DMA has fewer than 1.2 million homes in it, meaning that number should be something like a 44.6.
Could the raw number be people? The 192,000 would be households.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:20 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
And how do you account for Montreal getting viewers in the recent game against Pittsurgh than Toronto by more than FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND people?

PIT-MTL, Mar 2, CBC: 1.657 million (+ 890,000 on RDS) = 2.547 million

PIT-TOR, Mar 9, CBC: 2.021 million

2. You are looking solely at two games (PIT-TOR and PIT-MON), how about looking at other games? There are other reasons for why PIT-MON may be watched more. Firstly, MON is doing considerably better this season. Secondly, PIT-MON has been a spectacle ever since that first time Crosby came to Montreal and beat the Habs in the shootout. PIT-TOR is not like that.

3. One of you said omg NBC sports picked up BOS-MON games. OK. Counterpoint: which Canadian team will be featured in the upcoming Winter Classic? The Winter Classic is a much more significant event than a Wednesday night game.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 03-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 01:25 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
NBC has made it clear the only Canadian team they want with exclusives is Montreal.
They grabbed 3 of the 4 BOS-MTL games this year ( much to the horror of NESN ) because they know Montreal sells with hockey fans.
Did you ever think that this is because of the rivalry itself? I mean, they are broadcasting these games on a show called WEDNESDAY NIGHT RIVALRY. I'll no doubt admit that MON-BOS is one of the best rivalries around. But it doesn't necessarily prove anything about MON's popularity WRT to the Leafs.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:02 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Could the raw number be people? The 192,000 would be households.
yea, I think my number is households.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Update on regional ratings:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...o-red-sox-nesn

Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
2. You are looking solely at two games (PIT-TOR and PIT-MON), how about looking at other games? There are other reasons for why PIT-MON may be watched more. Firstly, MON is doing considerably better this season. Secondly, PIT-MON has been a spectacle ever since that first time Crosby came to Montreal and beat the Habs in the shootout. PIT-TOR is not like that.

3. One of you said omg NBC sports picked up BOS-MON games. OK. Counterpoint: which Canadian team will be featured in the upcoming Winter Classic? The Winter Classic is a much more significant event than a Wednesday night game.
2. Speaking of grasping at straws, are you really trying to argue against TV ratings now? Seriously? Montreal and Toronto both played the EXACT same team, only days apart... not to mention Montreal's game was split between two networks for one game, broadcast to one audience at the same time, yet still had more than 500,000 more viewers than Toronto.

Not only that, but look! This same comparison was done FOUR years ago, and guess what? Montreal again had around 500,000 more viewers than Toronto (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=592423)

3. The Habs are being featured against Boston on Wednesday night rivalries, and they broke the NBC ratings record with games featuring a Canadian team. The Winter Classic is great and all, but don't forget, the Habs have been to multiple Heritage Classics, including the opening one. The Habs were also chosen to be the first ever opponent for the Jets returning to the NHL.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 03-26-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Interesting how even in the bottom five, 4 out of five teams had an increase in average rating of 70% or higher. Of course we have to take into account the shorter season, but still, that is pretty crazy.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is a sticky thread for discussion of TV ratings. Broad market comparisons need to go in their own thread.

Expect further off-topic posts to be deleted rather than edited.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The Penguins have posted a few ~20 numbers this year and have topped 200k regularly, so something is messed up in Rossi's reporting, which is to be expected.
How can they have posted a few ~20 numbers when it says that a 16.5 was their highest rating since Lemieux's return game?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
organist,

thanks man, that was such a great post. i spent 15 min reading it. some shocking things that caught my attention. NYR last yr were tops in the league, and this yr, they suck, are boring to watch and don't score.. yet this yr, they are up 125% over last yr in viewers. go figure. flyers are no good this yr, compared to last yr, yet are also up this yr over last. Even STL who were great last yr and mediocre this yr, have a rise of 83% over last yr. And finally, COLUMBUS who were horrible last yr and now are in a playoff hunt, are barely getting the same ratings as last yr. wow

Finally, if anyone here can tell me, i'd be so appreciative cause i can't find it anywhere. We know PIT is a big hockey town averaging 11.7. i'd love to compare this number to Montreal or any other city in Canada in terms of tv ratings. does anyone know what RDS tv rating is in Montreal for habs games?? is it better than PIT's 11.7?? Or who gets better local ratings, MTL or TOR? Just want to compare. thanks..

Old
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Very impressed by St. Louis. Not saying they're not a great hockey market, but top 5 is really good.

Hard to make anything out of the bottom 5 outside of FLA. Shouldn't surprise anything that 4 teams from massive multi-team markets are at the bottom.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Nicky Santoro

it saddens me so much to see LA get only 0.63, despite it being double from last yr. i mean, come on... you are the Stanley cup champs.. It hurts to see them at 0.63. what bugs me even more is that the horrible lakers this yr are getting about 7x as many viewers as the stanley cup champions. i know it's a basketball town but i also know that LA is not a hockey town. i just pray to god the LA Galaxy are not getting more than 0.63. i am scared to research it in case i see the bad news. I just wish the kings were getting at least a 2.0..oh well.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is a sticky thread for discussion of TV ratings. Broad market comparisons need to go in their own thread.

Expect further off-topic posts to be deleted rather than edited.
Sorry about that. Decided I would respond to his original remarks and the debate got a little off-topic.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
2mannings1cup

Quote:
What do you know NO Canadian teams in the top 5. But I thought hockey was Canada's sport?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
What do you know NO Canadian teams in the top 5. But I thought hockey was Canada's sport?
The article is only for American teams. And for what it's worth, the ratings for Canadian teams crush American teams.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
Nielsen ratings don't extend to Canada.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
And for what it's worth, the ratings for Canadian teams crush American teams.
Parker,

i am not too sure of that. i read here the Leafs avg draw is 860,000. if my numbers are right, that might be close to roughly a 12.0. PIT is getting 11.87. and PIT watches games on ROOT which i think would have less of a % of subscribers than Sportsnet. And we still don't know what RDS gets for habs. it might even be less than PIT's 11.87.

My numbers could be off here, but i doubt RDS gets higher than 11.87, unless we can see the real rating.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
Parker,

i am not too sure of that. i read here the Leafs avg draw is 860,000. if my numbers are right, that might be close to roughly a 12.0. PIT is getting 11.87. and PIT watches games on ROOT which i think would have less of a % of subscribers than Sportsnet. And we still don't know what RDS gets for habs. it might even be less than PIT's 11.87.

My numbers could be off here, but i doubt RDS gets higher than 11.87, unless we can see the real rating.
Pretty sure Montreal and Toronto draw the highest ratings in the league. After all, their season opener this season drew an audience of 3.3 million people. No other team really comes close.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As a general rule of thumb, it's a whole lot easier to draw big ratings in a smaller market. Large cities are diverse, and particularly cities like Toronto and LA have a ton of immigrants and people from all over the place who don't necessarily have any interest in what the local team is doing, so drawing a large rating among that crowd is next to impossible (the rare time it happens is usually something like the Olympics). But that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people watching the random regular-season games, even if the rating is smaller.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
it saddens me so much to see LA get only 0.63, despite it being double from last yr. i mean, come on... you are the Stanley cup champs.. It hurts to see them at 0.63. what bugs me even more is that the horrible lakers this yr are getting about 7x as many viewers as the stanley cup champions. i know it's a basketball town but i also know that LA is not a hockey town. i just pray to god the LA Galaxy are not getting more than 0.63. i am scared to research it in case i see the bad news. I just wish the kings were getting at least a 2.0..oh well.
0.2 for Galaxy on Saturday.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Grand Volcan

Quote:
Pretty sure Montreal and Toronto draw the highest ratings in the league. After all, their season opener this season drew an audience of 3.3 million people. No other team really comes close.
Those are national numbers not local ones.

There are about 2.6 people per household. So assuming the Canadian numbers in the article are true.

330846 HH for Toronto
171769 HH for Vancouver
102154 HH for Edmonton
96192 HH for Ottawa
80000 HH for Calgary

This is assuming all 2.6 people in a household watch the game, but keep in mind that Canadian ratings also include people that watch from a bar.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
that's for the whole country though. i am talking local rating.. i am pretty certain Toronto doesn't get 12.0+. Pittsburgh beats them for sure. I would love it if someone can find a local rating for just Toronto and Montreal, and of course any other canadian city would be a bonus.. then you'll see how amazing Pittsburgh is. BTW, i thought PIT loved their hockey??? they averaged 11.87, which is good.. but damn... the Steelers draw like 42.0.. ouch.. that makes the pens look like no one cares compared to the Steelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
0.2 for Galaxy on Saturday.
IU,

thanks.. i have no idea how you found that. i searched for days and could not find it. wow, 0.2?? it's actually not that bad. the amazing ana ducks are only drawing a little more than that, and the LA KINGS last yr were drawing also just a bit more than that. I thought LA GALAXY were dead in LA, but it's not far from Ducks, who are amazing this yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Volcan View Post
Those are national numbers not local ones.

There are about 2.6 people per household. So assuming the Canadian numbers in the article are true.

330846 HH for Toronto
171769 HH for Vancouver
102154 HH for Edmonton
96192 HH for Ottawa
80000 HH for Calgary

This is assuming all 2.6 people in a household watch the game, but keep in mind that Canadian ratings also include people that watch from a bar.
Grand,

No MTL numbers??. Can you find out what RDS gets???

Old
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Grand Volcan

Quote:
Grand,

No MTL numbers??. Can you find out what RDS gets???
We can find the numbers on rds for all of Quebec here

http://www.bbm.ca/en/175-2012-13-que...eports-archive

Old
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
As a general rule of thumb, it's a whole lot easier to draw big ratings in a smaller market. Large cities are diverse, and particularly cities like Toronto and LA have a ton of immigrants and people from all over the place who don't necessarily have any interest in what the local team is doing, so drawing a large rating among that crowd is next to impossible (the rare time it happens is usually something like the Olympics). But that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people watching the random regular-season games, even if the rating is smaller.

True, but even last year when the rangers were good, pittsburgh still drew more Total households (not percentage) than the rangers. With 20x people thats still kinda pathetic.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
True, but even last year when the rangers were good, pittsburgh still drew more Total households (not percentage) than the rangers. With 20x people thats still kinda pathetic.
You realize there are basically three teams in NYC, right? What would happen if there were three teams in Pittsburgh?

Closed Thread