HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Azkals

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
how amazing is that? those are NFL #'s. no nba or mlb teams ever come close to that. and that pens/sabres 15.01 rating didn't even have crosby playing and they were never in it. i am wondering that if pit could pull 16's in the reg season, just how much will they pull in if they make it to the final game of the stanley cup?? 34.4?? 47.3?? 59.2??? UNREAL.. I tip my hat to this city..
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...s-mark-347070/

Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
tonight, Bos is home to NJ and it's Jagr's 1st game as a bruin. at the same time, Red Sox are going for the sweep vs NYY. i am so curious to see who will get a bigger rating. the bruins, who are averaging 7.0+ this yr, OR the beloved Sox going for the sweep vs their arch rivals. this one should be interesting. anyone wanna take a stab at this one. i'd have to put the sox as the favorite to beat the bruins only because it's the NYY and they're going for the sweep.

sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but does anyone know if there's a website, just like HFboards, but for baseball local tv ratings? i am so curious to find out who will get the bigger rating tomorrow, even though deep in my heart, i know it'll be the red sox. but is there a site that i can find out the baseball ratings? i'd love to see teams like the pirates vs Pens, red sox vs bruins, twins vs wild, flyers vs phillies, and many more...thanks.

Prediction tonight....

Red Sox 8.6
Bruins 5.7
For reference, 9.8 for the Red Sox last night.

Will one of the games air on a NESN+ or something tonight? Both teams site say they'll be on NESN, which isn't possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
The Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, and Rangers were all playing at the same time. I'd love to see what the ratings for this looked like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Knicks - 1.9 on MSG & 1.7 on ESPN
Rangers - 2.0 on NBCSN
Mets- 2.6 on SNY
Yankees - 2.8 on YES & .1 on ESPN 2

No Nets info, I never get + channels

Old
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
For reference, 9.8 for the Red Sox last night.

Will one of the games air on a NESN+ or something tonight? Both teams site say they'll be on NESN, which isn't possible.

Knicks - 1.9 on MSG & 1.7 on ESPN
Rangers - 2.0 on NBCSN
Mets- 2.6 on SNY
Yankees - 2.8 on YES & .1 on ESPN 2

No Nets info, I never get + channels
Wow, you really are the man in this, IU. there's nothing you can't find. amazing.. and speaking of amazing.. boys, i don't want to toot my own horn, but i got all 4 in order right.

1- NYK
2- NYY
3- NYM
4- NYR..

however, i had no idea NYR would get that high..2.0 is awesome. my order was right, but my #'s were off. I gave NYR 0.4.

IU, thanks again for those #'s.. but if tomorrow, you can do tonight's boston, it'd be great. Redsox going for sweep vs NYY, VS the highly rated Bruins of this yr and seeing the Legend Jagr for the 1st time in a bruins uniform. If bruins make it close, i'll be shocked. Thanks.

Prediction.

Sox 7.9
Bruins.. 4.1

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
2mannings1cup

The Red Sox are on NESN while the Bruins get bumped to NESN+. I think I get NESN+, but I have no idea what channel it is so I'll just watch the Sox. It's amazing how the Bruins got put on the backburner once the Sox started. Sports radio is all Sox with a little Celtics and virtually no Bruins right now.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Wow, you really are the man in this, IU. there's nothing you can't find. amazing.. and speaking of amazing.. boys, i don't want to toot my own horn, but i got all 4 in order right.

1- NYK
2- NYY
3- NYM
4- NYR..

however, i had no idea NYR would get that high..2.0 is awesome. my order was right, but my #'s were off. I gave NYR 0.4.

IU, thanks again for those #'s.. but if tomorrow, you can do tonight's boston, it'd be great. Redsox going for sweep vs NYY, VS the highly rated Bruins of this yr and seeing the Legend Jagr for the 1st time in a bruins uniform. If bruins make it close, i'll be shocked. Thanks.

Prediction.

Sox 7.9
Bruins.. 4.1
Liar. You projected the Nets to be above the Rangers. I know those numbers haven't been posted yet, but there's no chance the they beat out the Rangers. It looks like I'll have my top two wrong (I projected NYY > NYK).

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Wow surprised the Rangers beat out the Knicks. Also I think it's unfair to compare baseball to hockey considering baseball ratings will be amazing due to it being only a few games in, then after while it will slowly dissipate. IMO what you want to compare is the first 2-3 games of the Bruins to the first 2-3 games of the Red Sox and see how that measures up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
The Red Sox are on NESN while the Bruins get bumped to NESN+. I think I get NESN+, but I have no idea what channel it is so I'll just watch the Sox. It's amazing how the Bruins got put on the backburner once the Sox started. Sports radio is all Sox with a little Celtics and virtually no Bruins right now.
I have noticed that every local sports station (news or radio) pumps up every sport besides hockey except in 1-3 cities. In Colorado, they're pumping up the Rockies every chance they get including the weather report and they're going to suck this year (my friends tell me that, I don't personally watch baseball). On the radio it's Broncos 99% of the time, even in the offseason with Nuggets and Rockies with other .9%, Avs with .1% and consider Avalanche are the most winning-est franchise in Colorado sports history. Also the regular sportscasters on the radio are only football or basketball fans. They have to bring in an outside source like Adrian Dater to talk about hockey, which is pathetic. I think there could be a anti-hockey agenda on local sports stations.

Last edited by S E P H: 04-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
It's amazing how the Bruins got put on the backburner once the Sox started. Sports radio is all Sox with a little Celtics and virtually no Bruins right now.
wow, and this is the time it should be hockey crazy. bruins are close to 1st place. in 48 hrs, are playing vs their biggest rivals in the habs.. and last but not least, The legend Jagr will be playing his 1st game as a bruin tonight. i swear, if jagr was traded to habs, there'd be 19 stations covering this 24/7 in montreal.. and in boston, no one seems to care. unreal.. and to think that bruins have been averaging 7.0+ all yr.. but move aside bruins, the red sox have taken over.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wow surprised the Rangers beat out the Knicks. Also I think it's unfair to compare baseball to hockey considering baseball ratings will be amazing due to it being only a few games in, then after while it will slowly dissipate. IMO what you want to compare is the first 2-3 games of the Bruins to the first 2-3 games of the Red Sox and see how that measures up.

I have noticed that every local sports station (news or radio) pumps up every sport besides hockey except in 1-3 cities. In Colorado, they're pumping up the Rockies every chance they get including the weather report and they're going to suck this year (my friends tell me that, I don't personally watch baseball). On the radio it's Broncos 99% of the time, even in the offseason with Nuggets and Rockies with other .9%, Avs with .1% and consider Avalanche are the most winning-est franchise in Colorado sports history. Also the regular sportscasters on the radio are only football or basketball fans. They have to bring in an outside source like Adrian Dater to talk about hockey, which is pathetic. I think there could be a anti-hockey agenda on local sports stations.
The Rangers didn't beat out the Knicks. The Knicks game was available on MSG and on ESPN in NY. If you combine the two, they beat the Rangers.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

1- NYK
2- NYY
3- NYM
4- NYR..

Prediction.

Sox 7.9
Bruins.. 4.1
The benefits of working in advertising

I'll see what I can do, but like normally I am worried that the B's won't be rated in our system on a + channel.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Nicky Santoro

IU,

you don't have to do boston if you don't want because I think the bruins might actually beat or come close to the Sox because bruins game was always close and sox were down by a lot all game. plus, bruins were on NESN+.. i don't know if anyone knows that channel.

If there is just 1 i would love to see it's the Flyers vs Phillies. i know phillies are bigger there, but phillies were 0-2 going in and flyers had to win last night and it was a good game. So if you can just do the flyers vs philies rating instead of the boston one, i'd be so happy.. and i promise i won't bother you anymore after this. It would be so amazing if flyers beat phillies yesterday.

thanks.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Red Sox got a 7.7 - No Bruins as expected

Flyers did a 3.2 - no Phillies rating either

Old
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Nicky Santoro

thanks IU. if flyers though got 3.2, it tells me that almost certain, the phillies doubled that.. probably 6.4 or more.. because the flyers averaged much more than the 3.2 all yr. oh well, it is a baseball town before a hockey town and flyers are not looking good to make the playoffs.

BTW, i found this for last nights hawks game..

Over 276K Chicago mrkt TV households were tuned into the OT/SO time period (10:15p) for last night's #Blackhawks #Blues game on @CSNChicago

i calculated it again and found that it is roughly 7.9. which is pretty good.

https://twitter.com/JeffNuich

Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

10:15 PM 7.9

You're pretty good at this.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

It's because the media in Boston only likes talking about the Red Sox. Virtually no C's or B's talk until playoff starts.

Tonight the Red Sox are playing at 1 PM, and obviously the B's-Habs at 7.

I expect the Sox to get a 7-7.5 and Bruins to get a 7.5-8. The audience will stay, B's-Habs always draws huge ratings in Boston.

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 04-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Nicky Santoro

i can now say that i have become an expert for predicting TV ratings. Thanks to this thread, i can now predict ratings.. so here it goes for SUN. The Blues/Wings will be very deceiving. it will be very lucky to get even a 0.6. here is why.

New york is a big market and no one there will tune in to this game. NYK riding streak playing OKLA on ABC at 1pm. NYM and NYY both playing at 1 pm. Another big market in CHI will all be tuning in to the CUBS at 130 pm. Detroit, who's the home team in the game are playing in Yankee Stadium and going for the sweep and it's Verlander vs C.C.. So basically, only STL will be watching and a few here and there.

Expect a very very disappointing rating on NHL on NBC. Last NBC game of CHI/DET got 1.0.. this STL/DET on SUN.....Prediction... 0.5 to 0.6.

Yours Truly,

Nicky... 'The hockey ratings expert predictor'.... Santoro

Old
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I'm not sure why the New York market would care about this game, so that's pretty much irrelevant, the Cubs are terrible and the Blackhawks have basically clinched the division but I doubt the Cubs being on TV is going to hinder ratings of a St. Louis/Detroit game. The Tigers are playing the Yankees in Detroit, not in New York but the Tigers will take away some viewers but the game should be over by the time the Cardinals play in San Francisco so the Blues shouldn't lose any.

Taking all of that into account I would expect a 0.9 rating. A slight drop but not anything major.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I'm not sure why the New York market would care about this game, so that's pretty much irrelevant, the Cubs are terrible and the Blackhawks have basically clinched the division but I doubt the Cubs being on TV is going to hinder ratings of a St. Louis/Detroit game. The Tigers are playing the Yankees in Detroit, not in New York but the Tigers will take away some viewers but the game should be over by the time the Cardinals play in San Francisco so the Blues shouldn't lose any.

Taking all of that into account I would expect a 0.9 rating. A slight drop but not anything major.
admiral,

i mentioned NY and CHI cause its by far the 2 biggest markets in hockey and even if a small pct there watched hockey, it'd really boost up the rating. How can you say Tigers going for sweep in DET vs Yanks will affect it a little?? I say it affects it a ton.. Verlander pitching doesn't help...Oh and thank god STL CARDS play at 4 pm cause if they played at 1pm, i would hate to see what that rating would've been.. probably 0.3. OUCH. STL loves their baseball.. big time.

I will stick by my guns and say..0.5 to 0.6.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:20 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
It will affect it but really, it's the 6th game of a 162 game season and the 40th (?) game of a 48 game season of a team that's fighting for playoff positioning. Sure there are going to be some Wings fans that are either going to the game or just flat out like baseball more than hockey and will watch the Tigers but it's not going to be a huge affect on the local rating imo.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Nicky: Chicago has 2 ballclubs and the Cubs aren't the one of them winning the ratings war locally so far.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Nicky Santoro

Prediction in the NY ratings

NYK 4.2
NYY 2.6
NYM 1.0
STL/DET 0.000001

This hockey game hurts to watch. boring 0-0 game and i don't see many ppl in the U.S staying on this sleeper.. why would they? there's a great NYK streak going on ABC.. and 8 baseball games going on now and 3 more about to start.

This is going to get very ugly for NBC. I might even go on a limb and say easily the lowest rating of the yr on NBC and easily 0.5 to 0.6 at best. I am not looking forward to seeing that rating tomorrow morning. I'm starting to feel bad for NBC now. it's going to be very embarassing. Thank god STL cards play at 4 pm or it would have been humiliating.. not that it still won't be.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Nicky Santoro

also, even DETROIT don't want to watch this hockey game. Have you guys seen how many empty seats at the Joe??? i swear i have never seen this many empty seats at a game in Detroit. Has detroit given up on hockey? Whatever happened to hockeytown? It looks like a home game florida panthers game here. there are more empty seats than people today in detroit. that hurts.

Even myself who loves hockey, am having a hard time watching this sleeper. Hey, if i want to watch a boring 0-0 game with no action at all, i'll just watch soccer.

thank god for the remote control.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
The Bruins got bumped to NESN+ because the Red Sox own 80% of the network and the Bruins own 20%.

Only time, per the ownership agreement, the Sox get moved is for a Bruins playoff game.

No conspiracy theory needed.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
also, even DETROIT don't want to watch this hockey game. Have you guys seen how many empty seats at the Joe??? i swear i have never seen this many empty seats at a game in Detroit. Has detroit given up on hockey? Whatever happened to hockeytown? It looks like a home game florida panthers game here. there are more empty seats than people today in detroit. that hurts.

Even myself who loves hockey, am having a hard time watching this sleeper. Hey, if i want to watch a boring 0-0 game with no action at all, i'll just watch soccer.

thank god for the remote control.
Yeah... This has been going on for years...

Joe Louis is a terrible arena for the business men who care more about showing off than actually watching a game, so those *******s buy up season tickets in the lower bowl and then show up to three or four games in the year.

Upper bowl is packed regularly.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Fenway

vCash: 147
I have a feeling Boston/Montreal on Sat will shatter any existing NESN records even going against the Final Four. There was a major hype going into that game.

We don't know the NESN number yet but we do know Boston and Providence scored very low on the CBS overnights Saturday which hints the Bruins did well.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:52 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I have a feeling Boston/Montreal on Sat will shatter any existing NESN records even going against the Final Four. There was a major hype going into that game.

We don't know the NESN number yet but we do know Boston and Providence scored very low on the CBS overnights Saturday which hints the Bruins did well.
I don't know what world a 5.6 & 5.0 is 'very low' in. Below the nat'l average, but still very good.

Bruins did a 6.4.

Quote:
Prediction in the NY ratings

NYK 4.2
NYY 2.6
NYM 1.0
STL/DET 0.000001

This hockey game hurts to watch. boring 0-0 game and i don't see many ppl in the U.S staying on this sleeper.. why would they? there's a great NYK streak going on ABC.. and 8 baseball games going on now and 3 more about to start.

This is going to get very ugly for NBC. I might even go on a limb and say easily the lowest rating of the yr on NBC and easily 0.5 to 0.6 at best. I am not looking forward to seeing that rating tomorrow morning. I'm starting to feel bad for NBC now. it's going to be very embarassing. Thank god STL cards play at 4 pm or it would have been humiliating.. not that it still won't be.
0.7 in NY. I thought you were so good at these predictions?

0.8 nationally...pretty on par with where other games have been.

Closed Thread