HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
i pray to god someone in this forum posts tomorrow the local NY rating of this NYR game..

tonight.... NO NYY... NO METS... NO NYK...

just the NYR game in NY tonight..oh wait a sec.. will the BKLYN nba game hurt the NYR rating?? i hope not..

I am hoping for at least a 5.0 in ny?? i hope i am not way off.
Not a chance.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
You know how many people a 5 is in New York? Once again, Nicky, perspective...

Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You know how many people a 5 is in New York? Once again, Nicky, perspective...
NY drew 16.6 in 94 gm 7 vs VAN.. and game was not available on reg tv. ABC blacked it out in NY... it was only available on MSG in ny to boot.. so it would have been even higher if it was available..

Last yr on a sat afternoon both NYK and NYR played same time.... NYK drew a 7.4 and NYR drew a 5.2.

If i am not mistaken, NYK already drew a 7.0+ this yr, so why can't NYR draw a 5.0+ in their 1st playoff game vs Ovechkin, with no other NY team playing tonight???

Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.csnbayarea.com/article/50...cast-sportsnet

Quote:
Fueled by the most prolific month in network history – 89 live telecasts featuring the San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings, San Jose Sharks, San Jose Earthquakes and San Jose SabreCats, and 247 live studio shows – with over 136 hours of live sports news and analysis – Comcast SportsNet (@CSNAuthentic), the home of “Authentic Bay Area Sports,” delivered multiple television rating milestones in the SF DMA (San Francisco/ Oakland/San Jose) during the month of April 2013.

Highlights over the past month (April 1 – May 1) include:

- Over five million television households (5,025,043) watched the Giants, A’s, Warriors, Kings, Sharks, Earthquakes and SabreCats on Comcast SportsNet;

- Over three million television households (3,192,628) watched Giants, A’s, Warriors and Sharks Pregame Game Live and Postgame Live shows on Comcast SportsNet;

Old
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

I hate how little information there is about CSN-CA ratings. Those numbers tell nothing about the Sharks popularity.

Last (and the year before) year Puckthemedia had ratings updates every day. They don't do that anymore?

Old
05-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
I still think you're doubting how into the Bulls this market would be if they were a legit contender, but that's just me.
I once got some bad news via text while working in Chicago and was sort of depressed on the L ride back to my hotel... no fewer than three people sat down next to me, noticed the look on my face and said "****ing Bulls lost again?"

Old
05-03-2013, 07:18 AM
ebox99

Quote:
i swear to you, this brings a tear to my eye. i am so happy to see how big the bruins have gotten in BOSTON. Celts were dominating over NYK and b's doubled them in ratings.. and this was not gm 7, it was gm 1 for christ sakes. and if you were to tell me 5 yrs ago that the bruins would more than double the sox in tv ratings, i'd have thought you were crazy. and can you imagine if instead of TOR, it was their fav rivals, the habs.. that 9.5 would've been 12.3.
Impressive indeed. Surprised Celts are drawing better.

Hockey is just a faster paced sport that looks good on HD.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:29 AM
ebox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Someone needs to send these rating to New England based ESPN and maybe they may actually consider the NHL important enough to have employees cover it instead of 24 hour NBA round-the-clock slobberfest.
NHL doesn't need ESPN coverage. They've proven they can grow with NBC.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

delete

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 05-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old
05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I'd love to see Sharks local playoff TV ratings vs. Warriors local playoff TV ratings, would be interesting to see just how many more people (households) are watching Warriors instead of Sharks. Maybe after this Sharks first round series we could (maybe, possibly?) see some numbers.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I'd love to see Sharks local playoff TV ratings vs. Warriors local playoff TV ratings, would be interesting to see just how many more people (households) are watching Warriors instead of Sharks. Maybe after this Sharks first round series we could (maybe, possibly?) see some numbers.
great call.. i'd love to see sharks vs warriors too.

i would also love to see STL reg season ratings and especially playoffs. i'd love to see how blues did yesterday vs cards.they both played same time. i've been reading alot of stl stuff today and it seems that they are going hockey crazy in STL right now. it's all blues and hardly any mention of cards and cards are huge in STL...the whole city is in a buzz for hockey. i would love to know if they got lets say 3.0 during reg season if perhaps they got like 9.0 yesterday, or even more. I think if stl goes far, they have so much potential to become a huge hockey town. i swear i think they can easily become the next PENS.. they too don't have NBA.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
i pray to god someone in this forum posts tomorrow the local NY rating of this NYR game..

tonight.... NO NYY... NO METS... NO NYK...

just the NYR game in NY tonight..oh wait a sec.. will the BKLYN nba game hurt the NYR rating?? i hope not..

I am hoping for at least a 5.0 in ny?? i hope i am not way off.
Only did a 2.3...

Old
05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Only did a 2.3...
thanks buddy, i'll guess i'll take it..

but then again, i am not as sharp as you when it comes to ratings, so maybe 2.3 is deceiving. maybe if it went to gm 7, they might get 5.0. it was only gm 1. what am i saying.. i just thought about it...2.3 sucks and that's only because no other NY team was playing

Old
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
A 2.3 in New York is just about 170,000 households. Pretty good for a game 1.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Last (and the year before) year Puckthemedia had ratings updates every day. They don't do that anymore?
Steve posted a bunch of bull **** about how he hated other people shoving the NHL back into the corner and now that's what he's doing himself.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
frivolousz21

Quote:
great call.. i'd love to see sharks vs warriors too.

i would also love to see STL reg season ratings and especially playoffs. i'd love to see how blues did yesterday vs cards.they both played same time. i've been reading alot of stl stuff today and it seems that they are going hockey crazy in STL right now. it's all blues and hardly any mention of cards and cards are huge in STL...the whole city is in a buzz for hockey. i would love to know if they got lets say 3.0 during reg season if perhaps they got like 9.0 yesterday, or even more. I think if stl goes far, they have so much potential to become a huge hockey town. i swear i think they can easily become the next PENS.. they too don't have NBA.

The blues had a 4.37 for the regular season.

No playoff data yet. I would expect a 9-13.0 for each of the first two games.

The blues highest rated series was VS Dallas in 2001 around 12-13.0.

Their highest rated single games ever were in 1991 and 1996 both VS Detroit and both game 7's. one game was a 21 and the other 24-25.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Teemu

Any word yet on NBC Sports ratings for the first few nights?

CNBC's were
STL/LA 0.178 million total, 0.123 million 18-49 (0.1 rating)
BOS/TOR 0.200 million total, 0.101 million 18-49 (0.1 rating)

Old
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
tank44

Any way to get the NBCSN rating for the SJ-Van game 1? particularly in the Seattle market. This is the first time a Vancouver playoff game is only on the US network and not also on CBC which is available in Seattle.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
The blues had a 4.37 for the regular season.

No playoff data yet. I would expect a 9-13.0 for each of the first two games.

The blues highest rated series was VS Dallas in 2001 around 12-13.0.

Their highest rated single games ever were in 1991 and 1996 both VS Detroit and both game 7's. one game was a 21 and the other 24-25.
thanks so much, frivilous. that's exactly the info i was loving to see.. 4.37 for the yr is great. and that 25 rating record in STL is amazing...it just proved to me that STL really is a great hockey city if you give them a good product.. If STL ever had stars on their team like Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Letang, Neal, etc... and were as dominant as PIT is, i bet they'd get bigger ratings than PIT.

thanks again, frivilous.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
thanks so much, frivilous. that's exactly the info i was loving to see.. 4.37 for the yr is great. and that 25 rating record in STL is amazing...it just proved to me that STL really is a great hockey city if you give them a good product.. If STL ever had stars on their team like Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Letang, Neal, etc... and were as dominant as PIT is, i bet they'd get bigger ratings than PIT.

thanks again, frivilous.
Oh please...I hate it when people make that excuse.
The Pens are more popular with people under 30 than the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

You act like anybody would get ratings THAT great under their circumstance, minimizing that town's hockey attractivness.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Azkals

Game 1 local ratings:
PIT (ROOT) - 20.6
MIN (FSN) - 10.1
BOS (NESN) - 9.5
CHI (CSN CHI)- 8.0
DET (FSD) - 7.0/14
STL (FSMW) - 6.6/10
WSH (CSNDC) - 4.8/8
NYR (MSG) - 2.3/4
SJ (CSN CAL) - 1.8/4
NYI (MSG Plus) - 1.1/2
ANA (FSW) - 0.9/1
LA (FSPT) - 0.7/1

Game 2 local ratings:
STL (FSMW) - 8.9/15
DET (FSD) - 8.7/15
LA (CNBC) - 1.2/2
ANA (FSW) - 0.5/1

Weds ratings in NY:
Knicks-Celtics (TNT/MSG): 7.7
Yankees-Astros (YES): 2.4
Islanders-Penguins (MSG Plus): 1.1
Mets-Marlins (SNY): 0.6

Rangers/Capitals on NBCSN last night (0.4 national rating)

via Steve Lepore, Sports Media Watch

Last edited by Azkals: 05-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Jax1166

The Rangers ratings this season

Went up 72% to 1.70.
That is very impressive along with the Islanders and Devils having major raises.

If you sum Rangers+Devils+Islanders those ratings exceed Knicks+Nets.
The thing with Ranger ratings is they are artificially low since:
1) They get bumped to MSG+ and 2
2) Unlike most markets they do not equal all hockey fans...since Devils and Islanders also exist

Hence there are many hockey games going at once, when they play, both are on two networks, AND how likely is a Ranger fan to watch the Devils and vice versa?

3) Ratings in New York always will be lower since there are so many people and so many options.

The Rangers ratings this season beat the Knicks from two seasons ago. Hence if the Rangers are a competitive team they rate.

Now what I don't get is why the Capitals rate lower than the Rangers.
The Capitals are very, very popular locally, they sell out and I see people in Caps gear all the time...and there is no competition (Wizards?).
I am surprised they are not higher given the market size and dynamics.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Oh please...I hate it when people make that excuse.
The Pens are more popular with people under 30 than the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

You act like anybody would get ratings THAT great under their circumstance, minimizing that town's hockey attractivness.
I disagree with you, doakes. here is why. first of all, STL has an even smaller market than PIT.. which is why it'd be easier to have a higher rating.. also, lets be honest here, STL is a very boring defensive team to watch. can you imagine if they had an exciting team like PIT who score tons of goals each game and had machines like Malkin, and the best in the world in SID?? STL would kill PIT imo. they still pour out in STL, despite all those boring 2-1 defensive games. give them 7-1 game and sid and viewership will quadruple.

Azkals,

thank you for the best post to date. you just put everything in 1 post that we all love to see... the rating of every playoff game. and you even tossed in NBA. thanks man.. now i'm up to date...keep up the great work, buddy. and thanks.

p.s. btw, it breaks my heart to see kings, who are SC champs, get 0.7 with no lakers.. that's why i'm happy STL is up 2-0. they don't deserve to win again. give it to STL.. i don't know why hockey just can't do well in LA, even with a cup.. and also it hurts me to see NYK get 7.7 and NYR, with nothing else on, only gets 2.3..

Old
05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Azkals

Quote:
I disagree with you, doakes. here is why. first of all, STL has an even smaller market than PIT.. which is why it'd be easier to have a higher rating.. also, lets be honest here, STL is a very boring defensive team to watch. can you imagine if they had an exciting team like PIT who score tons of goals each game and had machines like Malkin, and the best in the world in SID?? STL would kill PIT imo. they still pour out in STL, despite all those boring 2-1 defensive games. give them 7-1 game and sid and viewership will quadruple.

Azkals,

thank you for the best post to date. you just put everything in 1 post that we all love to see... the rating of every playoff game. and you even tossed in NBA. thanks man.. now i'm up to date...keep up the great work, buddy. and thanks.

p.s. btw, it breaks my heart to see kings, who are SC champs, get 0.7 with no lakers.. that's why i'm happy STL is up 2-0. they don't deserve to win again. give it to STL.. i don't know why hockey just can't do well in LA, even with a cup.. and also it hurts me to see NYK get 7.7 and NYR, with nothing else on, only gets 2.3..
Thanks Nicky.

But I doubt STL could ever pull off a higher rating than PIT. The NFL team in STL gets around a 20 rating. If the NFL team is only getting around a 20, there is no way any NHL team could approach a 20 in that market. PIT is a diehard sports town. They love there sports.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Nicky Santoro

Doakes, after reading your last post, i am not as deceived about NYR ratings anymore. you made sense.. PLUS, if you include NBCSN, they got 2.7, which beats the NYY, who are GOD in ny and destroyed the Mets.. and it's true, hockey ratings this yr beat NBA in NY...

thanks Doakes..

Closed Thread