HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #676
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hartland, Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Game 1 local ratings:
PIT (ROOT) - 20.6
MIN (FSN) - 10.1
BOS (NESN) - 9.5
CHI (CSN CHI)- 8.0
DET (FSD) - 7.0/14
STL (FSMW) - 6.6/10
WSH (CSNDC) - 4.8/8
NYR (MSG) - 2.3/4
SJ (CSN CAL) - 1.8/4
NYI (MSG Plus) - 1.1/2
ANA (FSW) - 0.9/1
LA (FSPT) - 0.7/1
Are these combined ratings of the RSN and CNBC/NBCSN or are they just local ratings? I was going to watch the Wild on FSN but the HD picture was better on NBCSN.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 02:50 PM
  #677
Azkals
Registered User
 
Azkals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Philippine
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Are these combined ratings of the RSN and CNBC/NBCSN or are they just local ratings? I was going to watch the Wild on FSN but the HD picture was better on NBCSN.
Just local. From my understanding, they can't be combined since the games appearing on CNBC/NBCSN were blacked out in local markets since the RSNs have exclusive rights first round.

Azkals is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 02:54 PM
  #678
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Are these combined ratings of the RSN and CNBC/NBCSN or are they just local ratings? I was going to watch the Wild on FSN but the HD picture was better on NBCSN.
You wouldn't be included in the Minny ratings anyway. It's that market only.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
  #679
Fenway
Registered User
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 374
I would be curious to see what RSN has the largest out of market audience.

The Blues for example are on basic in Indianapolis, Omaha and KC.

The Bruins have Hartford and Providence. (plus all of hockey mad NH, Vermont and Maine)

Fenway is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
  #680
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Omaha isn't a rated market.

Indy got a .1 for the Blues game, which is the same as every other game there. So the Blues provided no bump.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  #681
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hartland, Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You wouldn't be included in the Minny ratings anyway. It's that market only.
I know. I was just wondering if it was just RSN's because some people like hearing different perspectives from national announcers instead of their local guys or some channel may have a better picture or whatever the case may be.

Didn't know that RSN's had exclusive rights to the first round.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 04:49 PM
  #682
Fenway
Registered User
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Omaha isn't a rated market.

Indy got a .1 for the Blues game, which is the same as every other game there. So the Blues provided no bump.
How did NESN do in Hartford and Providence?

Fenway is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 06:19 PM
  #683
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post

Didn't know that RSN's had exclusive rights to the first round.
Ah, ok. That would explain things.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
  #684
Watch for the Yeti
Titletown!
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
How did NESN do in Hartford and Providence?
I'm in the Providence market, I'm also intrigued by this. I think the Celtics beat the Bruins on TV in Providence, just because it seems that the Celtics are more prevalent in this area than the Bruins (at least in my town)

Watch for the Yeti is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
  #685
Brodie
Moderator
King at the Wall
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
Ducks over Kings shocks me... were they conflicts that night (Dodgers, Lakers, etc)?

Brodie is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
  #686
GreatOne99
www.schoolshark*****
 
GreatOne99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 83
vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Ducks over Kings shocks me... were they conflicts that night (Dodgers, Lakers, etc)?
I hope it wasn't the Lakers, the have been done for like 2 weeks, hahaha

GreatOne99 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
  #687
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Ducks over Kings shocks me... were they conflicts that night (Dodgers, Lakers, etc)?
Uhh...the Ducks were at home and played in primetime. The Kings were away and did not. Shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:32 PM
  #688
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I'm in the Providence market, I'm also intrigued by this. I think the Celtics beat the Bruins on TV in Providence, just because it seems that the Celtics are more prevalent in this area than the Bruins (at least in my town)
Bruins: 6.7 on NESN + 0.1 on CNBC

Celtics: 2.1 on CSN + 2.3 on TNT


B's way out in front.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:42 PM
  #689
Watch for the Yeti
Titletown!
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Bruins: 6.7 on NESN + 0.1 on CNBC

Celtics: 2.1 on CSN + 2.3 on TNT


B's way out in front.
Wow, thanks alot for researching this. It seems that it was stupid for me to assume something just because of what happens in my town, but it is a small market so please forgive my assumption

It's clear this region has backed the Bruins more ever since the 2011 playoffs.

Watch for the Yeti is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:54 PM
  #690
Watch for the Yeti
Titletown!
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Remember the days when Steve Lepore of Puck the media used to cover hockey?

I miss those days, really wish he gets off SB Nation.

Watch for the Yeti is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 08:21 PM
  #691
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
Remember the days when Steve Lepore of Puck the media used to cover hockey?

I miss those days, really wish he gets off SB Nation.
He's been tweeting hockey stuff nonstop. And has a good source for ratings now ( )

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
  #692
Watch for the Yeti
Titletown!
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
He's been tweeting hockey stuff nonstop. And has a good source for ratings now ( )
I meant on his site, just because hockey isn't as prevelant as it used to be there.

Watch for the Yeti is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
  #693
frivolousz21
Registered User
 
frivolousz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Thanks Nicky.

But I doubt STL could ever pull off a higher rating than PIT. The NFL team in STL gets around a 20 rating. If the NFL team is only getting around a 20, there is no way any NHL team could approach a 20 in that market. PIT is a diehard sports town. They love there sports.

The Rams averaged a 30-40 rating per game from 1999 to 2005.

IIRC they were around a 60 rating for the two super bowls they were in.

I doubt many markets could be as bad as the Rams post 2004 till now and do much better.

frivolousz21 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 12:50 AM
  #694
Azkals
Registered User
 
Azkals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Philippine
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
The Rams averaged a 30-40 rating per game from 1999 to 2005.

IIRC they were around a 60 rating for the two super bowls they were in.

I doubt many markets could be as bad as the Rams post 2004 till now and do much better.
I'm not trying to diss Rams fans in any way. I was responding to someone who said that if the Penguins roster was the St. Louis Blues, that St. Louis would get higher ratings than Pittsburgh. I just don't see how any NHL team could outdraw their NFL team. That was my point.

Azkals is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 01:31 AM
  #695
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,245
vCash: 500
Reasonable to assume that Detroit's local rating will be higher when they get to home ice.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  #696
frivolousz21
Registered User
 
frivolousz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
I could see the blues going a bit higher but not near the Penguins.

frivolousz21 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  #697
Nicky Santoro
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
is it just me that was so deceived after seeing these numbers???

basketball vs NHL playoffs.. ouch.. look how lopsided it is!! I used to think that hockey was catching up to NBA in popularity, but after seeing this article, i might be throwing in the towel. I wish i never read this article cause it ruined my weekend.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/4/429...ayoffs-to-date


Last edited by Nicky Santoro: 05-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Nicky Santoro is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:28 AM
  #698
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 17,434
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
is it just me that was so deceived after seeing these numbers???

basketball vs NHL playoffs.. ouch.. look how lopsided it is!! I used to think that hockey was catching up to NBA in popularity, but after seeing this article, i might be throwing in the towel. I wish i never read this article cause it ruined my weekend.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/4/429...ayoffs-to-date
You really need to get out of the house.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  #699
DopeyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
is it just me that was so deceived after seeing these numbers???

basketball vs NHL playoffs.. ouch.. look how lopsided it is!! I used to think that hockey was catching up to NBA in popularity, but after seeing this article, i might be throwing in the towel. I wish i never read this article cause it ruined my weekend.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/4/429...ayoffs-to-date
Sorry but they are cherry picking

Comparing those numbers and someone would be like "by golly, leafs vs bruins is sad"

Except when you take into account regional and Canadian figures which will likely put it at LEAST 4 million viewers

DopeyFish is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  #700
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
Sorry but they are cherry picking

Comparing those numbers and someone would be like "by golly, leafs vs bruins is sad"

Except when you take into account regional and Canadian figures which will likely put it at LEAST 4 million viewers
Are NBA playoff games on local TV also or all on network exclusively?

Article should have total viewers - locally and national. But NHL national numbers are low regardless. Locally they going great.

ebox99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.