HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
frivolousz21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
i personally think a hockey/baseball town is based on a teams performance. In the early to mid 80's, #1 sport in boston was celtics. (bird, mchale,) in the early 70's, it was hockey in boston. (orr, espo) IMO, bruins are #1 in bos now because of success (not incl Pats) and celts are nowhere to be seen. look at red sox, they went from 12.0 to 6.0, and if they have 5 straight seasons of .430 ball, they'll drop to 2.5 at best. if bruins next 6 yrs don't ever make playoffs, they'll get 1.5's.

Look at CHI. # 1 sport there, aside from Bears, are hawks.. because of success. they are killing cubs, sox and bulls.. however, if cubs win 104 games this yr and go to world series, they'll kill hawks. and if hawks get really bad for the next 4 yrs, no one will care about them anymore in CHI.

If STL cards, who are hugely popular lose 100 games the next 4 yrs and Blues win the cup and get really good, they'll be #1 in STL.

SPORTS POPULARITY IN A CITY IS BASED ON THE TEAMS SUCCESS. (with the exception of L.A who no matter how bad the lakers do, they'll always be #1..only because they can't seem to accept hockey in that city.. they hate it.. believe me, i know this for a fact. even if the lakers don't make the playoffs for the next 11 yrs and kings win 11 straight cups, they'll still be behind the lakers.

1. Baseball is 162 games. Since they play double should we double the ratings or add 50 percent to them from what they are to make up for over saturation of the product. This is also how the NFL looks so much bigger than other sports.

2. Baseball is played during the stretch of warm out door weather. Which is a huge detriment to Baseball TV ratings vs playing in Winter.

3. Baseball has a huge following on radio still vs hockey and other sports. It's not even close vs Hockey. It's not a matter of people listening to the game on radio vs watching on tv. It's listening to it on you're porch, car, barbeque, mowing the lawn and so on. Baseball is an easy game to follow on radio and that medium is way over-looked when it comes to a sports popularity.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...MLB-radio.aspx

4. baseball attendance because of games and capacity again reach way more fans, it's not even close in many cities.

5. Most US NHL teams get horrible radio ratings.

In St. Louis the Cards are payed millions to be on KMOX. The Blues get a revenue sharing deal and have sell or buy some of the ad time and sell it themselves.

6. From 1988-1995 the Cards never made the playoffs. The blues had Brett Hull and made it every year. In terms of regular season the blues never out rated the Cards.

The Blues went on to make the playoffs every year until the 2005 lockout. They won the presidents trophy, made the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs, had super stars and hall of famers.

They never came close to the cards on tv.

You're way off here.

Last edited by frivolousz21: 05-05-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Nicky Santoro

well, it's happening in CHI as we speak. Since the cup and now this yr, the hawks are killing every other team in tv ratings in CHI, not incl bears.. if it can happen in CHI, it can happen in STL one day, even though STL is probably the biggest baseball town in USA. btw, do you have official numbers proving that blues alwys got beaten in the ratings back in late 80's early 90's with Brett? i'm sure they were beaten by cards back in this era, but there were no ratings back then, so you are just assuming.. i'm still certain, that even in STL, if Blues create a team like the pens have now.. Crosby, malkin, etc... and score 5 goals a game and win cups and are fun to watch, instead of playing all 2-1 games like now, and cards lose 100 games the next 7 yrs in a row will beat the cards in tv ratings..

anyone agree with me here??? am i way off here?? winning brings huge ratings to all cities.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Brodie
voted best

playoff ratings of title contender vs early season ratings for two non-contenders who cannibalize each other's audience

yeah, that's a valid comparison

Old
05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
GreatOne99*

Quote:
well, it's happening in CHI as we speak. Since the cup and now this yr, the hawks are killing every other team in tv ratings in CHI, not incl bears.. if it can happen in CHI, it can happen in STL one day, even though STL is probably the biggest baseball town in USA. btw, do you have official numbers proving that blues alwys got beaten in the ratings back in late 80's early 90's with Brett? i'm sure they were beaten by cards back in this era, but there were no ratings back then, so you are just assuming.. i'm still certain, that even in STL, if Blues create a team like the pens have now.. Crosby, malkin, etc... and score 5 goals a game and win cups and are fun to watch, instead of playing all 2-1 games like now, and cards lose 100 games the next 7 yrs in a row will beat the cards in tv ratings..

anyone agree with me here??? am i way off here?? winning brings huge ratings to all cities.
What if the universe collapses during the world series...and reformed during the NHL finals?

Blues would FOR SURE beat the cards then! Where do you come up with these random 100 loss seasons in a row numbers? So if they lose 6 seasons in a row with 100 losses they still out rate the Blues? What algorithm are you using exactly?

You're posts are mentally exhausting to read because of all the speculation, can we just focus on REAL ratings and not speculation based on fairy tales?

Old
05-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOne99 View Post
What if the universe collapses during the world series...and reformed during the NHL finals?

Blues would FOR SURE beat the cards then! Where do you come up with these random 100 loss seasons in a row numbers? So if they lose 6 seasons in a row with 100 losses they still out rate the Blues? What algorithm are you using exactly?

You're posts are mentally exhausting to read because of all the speculation, can we just focus on REAL ratings and not speculation based on fairy tales?
i promise this is the last post about this by me.. after this, it's back to ratings.. anywys...i live in MTL, where hockey is king. from 76-79, habs won 4 straight cups in the lafleur era. then the eighties arrived and the habs became crap.. but guess what?? the expos became great right after habs became bad.. and you know what? believe it or not, baseball became the #1 sport in MTL. From 80-94 baseball was the #1 sport in MTL.... habs were still popular, but were #2 behind the expos.

so if this can happen in MTL where hockey is king.. it can happen anywhere else, incl STL.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Nicky Santoro

Ok, you know how alot of americans say that they don't watch hockey because they can't see the puck?? well, they might be on to something. i swear, for many yrs now, i can't watch NBC.. it's so damn blurry.. i just turned TSN and i swear, crystal clear, bright, like looking outside a window. then i turn back to NBC.. blurry and dark.. but i need to know 1 thing.. is it blurry like this all over U.S, or is it just my provider? NBC is really unwatchable at my house and TSN is amazing.. i am hoping that it's just on my end and not all over U.S.

can someone pls just tell me if NBC has bad HD feed or is it just me? it's been like this here for yrs. if NBC is like this for everyone, then i will understand why NBC don't get great ratings.. it's horrible on my end..I swear i can't even see the puck.. so blurry.. i love TSN..

can anyone pls tell me if their NBC is very clear?? i hope it is.. thanks

Old
05-05-2013, 08:04 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Ok, you know how alot of americans say that they don't watch hockey because they can't see the puck?? well, they might be on to something. i swear, for many yrs now, i can't watch NBC.. it's so damn blurry.. i just turned TSN and i swear, crystal clear, bright, like looking outside a window. then i turn back to NBC.. blurry and dark.. but i need to know 1 thing.. is it blurry like this all over U.S, or is it just my provider? NBC is really unwatchable at my house and TSN is amazing.. i am hoping that it's just on my end and not all over U.S.

can someone pls just tell me if NBC has bad HD feed or is it just me? it's been like this here for yrs. if NBC is like this for everyone, then i will understand why NBC don't get great ratings.. it's horrible on my end..I swear i can't even see the puck.. so blurry.. i love TSN..

can anyone pls tell me if their NBC is very clear?? i hope it is.. thanks
Its your provider.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Its your provider.
thanks for the response, scotty. that's good news.

btw boys, i am predicting todays chi rating during OT will peak at over 10.0 on NBC. NYK game was over.. Wsox and Cubs just lost their games and then OT started. there was nothing else on for CHI ppl to watch but the hawks in OT.. i can't wait till the NBC ratings come out tomorrow. they should do ok. both were great games and both went to OT..

Old
05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Nicky Santoro

oh, another thing. i never thought of this till now.. won't this MTL/OTT game on NBCSN actually do great? there are no sports at all on now, except 1 mlb game that is a blowout.. big rivalry now between both and fights everywhere you look on the ice. won't people see twitter trending about these fights and all tune in? even the non hockey fans? 7 goals, and tons of fights and most important for all those hungry sports fans home on a sun night, not 1 other sporting event on tonight.. could this game actually get a great rating?? i think so.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
jsginsocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
You think NBC will ever give us double-headers?
They did a playoff double header last year and did another today.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Flashspec

Anyone have some CBC ratings?

Old
05-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
1. Baseball is 162 games. Since they play double should we double the ratings or add 50 percent to them from what they are to make up for over saturation of the product. This is also how the NFL looks so much bigger than other sports.
Just no.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:55 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
thanks for the response, scotty. that's good news.

btw boys, i am predicting todays chi rating during OT will peak at over 10.0 on NBC. NYK game was over.. Wsox and Cubs just lost their games and then OT started. there was nothing else on for CHI ppl to watch but the hawks in OT.. i can't wait till the NBC ratings come out tomorrow. they should do ok. both were great games and both went to OT..
The Hawks peaking at 10 yesterday wouldn't be anything to brag about. The 1st 2 games peaked in the 9s, the move to free TV should bump it to at least 12.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Yep, 12.1 in OT. 8.6 overall.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Randomtask68

An interesting statistic about the NHL regular season, also discusses the two TSN anchors leaving for Fox Sports and the competition with ESPN.

Quote:
NBC Sports Network's NHL regular season averaged 392,000 viewers, up 18 percent from last year. It is the most-watched NHL regular season on cable in 19 years since ESPN and ESPN2 averaged 474,000 during the 1993-94 season.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...#ixzz2SWgVTcm2

Old
05-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Intrigued to see how the B's game Friday night did.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Intrigued to see how the B's game Friday night did.
Assuming you mean the Bruins, the game was on Saturday not Friday.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
puckluck19
Registered User?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
Anyone have some CBC ratings?
Only thing I've seen is for Leafs game 1 and Canucks game 1 on TSN

Quote:
The Leafs playoff opener averaged 2.563 million viewers on CBC, winning the night as the only program in Canada to top 2 million. Game 1 of SJ-VAN averaged 1.25 million viewers on TSN, only finishing 5th behind the Leafs, CSI, Survivor and American Idol.
source: http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...le-may-3-2013/

Old
05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/6/430...s-nhl-playoffs

Selected weekend #s.

Quote:
12:30 p.m. ET - Stanley Cup Playoffs: NY Rangers vs. Washington, Game 2 (NBC): 1.2
6 p.m. ET - Kentucky Derby (NBC): 10.4
There wasn't much else going on. Rangers-Capitals was down 20 percent from Washington-Boston in the first round last year, though remember that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are starting two weeks later than they did last year. The overtime game was up nine percent from 2011's comparable Coyotes/Red Wings game. New York and Washington have never drawn quite as well on television as they should, at least on paper.
12 p.m. ET - Stanley Cup Playoffs: Pittsburgh vs. NY Islanders, Game 3 (NBC): 1.4
3 p.m. ET - Stanley Cup Playoffs: Chicago vs. Minnesota, Game 3 (NBC): 1.5
Now let's talk NHL and NBA. The hockey doubleheader was down, largely because Chicago/Minnesota couldn't compete with a wacky, buzzed-about Penguins/Flyers game from last year, dropping 35 percent (2.3). The game was both up 15 percent from the comparable game in 2011 (1.3 for Capitals-Rangers) and up 40 percent from the comparable weekend last year (1.0 for Blues/Kings). The game scored an 8.4 in Chicago and a 7.6 in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

The early game, Penguins-Isles, was down seven percent from Predators-Red Wings (1.5). The game drew a 2.3 rating in New York, actually beating out the rating in the market for Rangers-Capitals on Saturday. The game drew an 18.9 rating in New York. The overtime peaked at a 23 rating. 7.2% of Pittsburgh stuck around to watch Blackhawks/Wild.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM
2mannings1cup

An 18.9 in New York? If that's true that is very impressive. Just about double compared to the Knicks. Was not expecting that. New York is officially a hockey town. I love it!

Old
05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Pattysaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
An 18.9 in New York? If that's true that is very impressive. Just about double compared to the Knicks. Was not expecting that. New York is officially a hockey town. I love it!
Misprint. 18.9 for Pittsburgh.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Knicks - 9.1
Islanders - 2.3
Rangers - 2.1

Old
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Azkals

Overnights on NBC this weekend:
CHI/MIN: 1.5
NYI/PIT: 1.4
NYR/WSH: 1.2
OTT/MTL (NBCSN) - 0.4

Local ratings from this weekend:
PIT (NBC) - 18.9
CHI (NBC) - 8.9
MIN (NBC) - 7.6
SJ (CSN CAL) - 3.3
NYI (NBC) - 2.3
NYR (NBC) - 2.1

Interesting Notes:

PIT: Game 3 peaked at 23 in OT. CHI vs. MIN - 7.2 in PIT
NY: Knicks - 9.1 in NY

Last year's opening weekend on NBC:
PIT/PHI: 2.3 on Sunday
WSH/BOS: 1.5 on Saturday
NSH/DET: 1.5 on Saturday

NBA on ABC overnights:
IND/NY: 4.9
MEM/OKC: 3.8

MLB:
Sunday Night Baseball (ESPN) - 1.6
MLB Saturday on FOX - 1.4

MOD EDIT: From https://twitter.com/stevelepore

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-07-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
How great would that have been had NY really got an 18.9?? I can't believe they drew more in NY for the NYI than the NYR...wow. shocking..

That's sad that NYR only drew 2.1 locally, and 9.1 for the NYK. Are the NYR losing their popularity in NY?? Azkals, thanks again for that great post, but there is no STL, BOS, WASH or LA.. i'd love to know what they drew locally in especially LA and STL. Do you have that info, azkals? or anyone? thanks

Old
05-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Jonas1235

Rangers game was boring, Islanders game had 9 goals. People like exciting open hockey. Also, Crosby and the Penguins are definitely a draw. Just like the old St. Louis Rams teams were.

Closed Thread