HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 11:14 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
.@CSNChicago posted a "10" Chicago mkrt household TV rtg for its #Blackhawks finale last night (348K hms tuning in for entire length of gm)

https://twitter.com/JeffNuich

Wow, a 10.0!!! Lets see DRose and the bulls pull off a 10 for the 1st round! I wonder if Chicago is now officially a hockey town or just a bandwagon town? i really have no idea. Can any chicagoan pls tell me. i am dying to know. Is this just a phase in chicago cause they are doing so well the last few yrs, or has chicago become a hockey town?? I hope the latter. Like if the hawks have an avg season next yr, will they still watch hockey with big #'s in CHI?
Bulls #s are all dependent on the matchup right now. 1st round was pretty bad, but both Heat games got 11s.

I wouldn't call it a 'phase', but the fact is there are a lot of expectations for this team right now and they did win the PT. Last year and the year before, the ratings were very good but since they weren't considered a Cup favorite they weren't quite as high.
Quote:
There hasn't been 1 rating yet on STL or LA for gm 3, 4 or 5.. IU, can you pls post just 1 of them. either for gm 3, 4 or 5, Gm 5 preferably.... I just want to get an idea on both cities interest in this series. thanks.
STL has been consistently in the 9s. LA between 1-2.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Do you have the Milwaukee ratings for the Min/Chi series, IU?

Old
05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Do you have the Milwaukee ratings for the Min/Chi series, IU?
Last night did a 1.1 on NBCSN and a 0.3 on CSN. Did it also air on FSWI? That's showing a zero.

Tuesday did a 1.3 on NBCSN and 0.1 on CSN and FSWI

2.0 for the Sunday NBC game.

So, better than the national numbers, nothing like it could be if they had their own team.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:49 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Last night did a 1.1 on NBCSN and a 0.3 on CSN. Did it also air on FSWI? That's showing a zero.

Tuesday did a 1.3 on NBCSN and 0.1 on CSN and FSWI

2.0 for the Sunday NBC game.

So, better than the national numbers, nothing like it could be if they had their own team.
Yeah, it was on FSWI because there was no Brewers game last night. Every other game (except 3) was on the alternate.

Thanks a lot for providing those numbers, IU.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
showstopper99

A 10 for a Chicago game 5 is damn impressive. Especially for a series that was kinda for gone conclusion in my mind. The Bulls are a great story in general even if you don't have a horse in the race their interesting to watch. All I can say is I'm getting pumped with the possibilities of Western/Eastern Conference finals match-ups. Possible Boston/Pitt and a Chicago/L.A or St.Louis. Both those series would give record numbers for the NHL for them. Then the possibilities of a Pitt or Boston/Chicago. Can you say record numbers? Or a game 7 matchup where I believe they would beat or come close to the all-time record........I'm pumped and excited! This is what the NHL needs and deserves.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
and am i even crazier to think that a PIT/CHI gm 7 would beat an IND/MEMP gm 7 final in the US? maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.
Yes. It wouldn't even beat IND/MEM GM 1.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

IU, yesterday, there was no nba, and quiet night in baseball. the only thing really happening last night was NYI/PIT on nbcsn.. we never got any rating on it anywhere today. i am sure it did well. seeing also crosby was playing. did you see the rating of that game? i am hoping it broke 1 million, as the reg season record this yr is 956k.
It did a 0.4. Same ratings for every NBCSN game so far in the 1st round.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:49 PM
showstopper99

Yes I do believe a game 7 Chicago vs Boston/Pittsburgh would beat a game 1 Indy vs Memphis..... If you look back at in 2005 with Spurs/Pistons they did a around a 7 for Game 1........ And Indy/Memphis aren't household names. The Spurs are household names and the Pistons came off beating the Lakers few years ago......

Though having said that. This would take NHL's best or top 2 matchups to beat one of the lowest NBA matchups....Indy and Memphis don't transcend outside of their markets like Miami does.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
ebox99

Lots of info in this link:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...hp?rssid=20065

Root Sports, which televises the Pittsburgh Penguin games is averaging a household rating of 20.4 so far in the first round, compared to 19.9 for last season’s first round playoffs. The only other RSN up from last season’s NHL playoffs is CSN Chicago, which televises the Chicago Blackhawks and is averaging an 8.9, compared to a 7.7 last season.

Some of the RSNs, while down compared to last year’s playoffs, are still producing solid ratings. Fox Sport Detroit, which covers the Detroit Red Wings, is averaging a 9.3, compared to a 10.1 last season; Fox Sports Midwest, which covers the St. Louis Blues, is averaging an 8.3, compared to a 9.6 last season; while NESN, which covers the Boston Bruins, is averaging a 9.6, compared to a 13.6 last season.

HTS sells national ad inventory for the Fox RSNs, but also for some of the Comcast RSNs, as well as for MSG and NESN. Sloan says new NBA playoff advertisers include Avis, Dominos, Wendy’s and Bacardi. New advertisers in the NHL playoff telecasts include Avis, Apple, General Motors and Dairy Queen.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
showstopper99

For the Boston did they take that 13.6 from a seven game series average last year against WSH? We'll see how that ends up in the next to games...... Though the potential 2nd round matchups look good for the NHL Chicago/Detroit maybe, San Jose/LA(that's good for the sundbelt area, demographic battle), WSH/BOS

Old
05-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The thing you miss is that a Rangers team in the finals instantly captures the hearts and minds of New York and the "nation" (by which you actually mean the New York centric national media). It doesn't need to be a Blackhawks level season for New Yorkers to get behind their team, they just need to be in position to win. Pittsburgh's got incredible numbers, but it's a small market... there's no further bandwagon potential there. New York vs Chicago would break every record in the book.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
showstopper99

The reason I doubt New York is last year in the Eastern Finals they failed to catch any imagination in New York.....the ratings were average or mediocre at best.........Now if you can catch the imagination of New York........"Hey I'm all on board. I think the ratings so far in the first round have been better than last years first round so that is encouraging. Like I don't expect all of a sudden for support to swell up, but in Chicago's case you see it coming and feel it that first year they made the playoffs. You just new in the forthcoming years the support would get bigger. But as of Today/right now the best matchup for the NHL imho is Pitt or Boston vs Chicago. If New York can catch the imagination and get that support I'm all in..........

Old
05-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Wow, not a single game on NBC this weekend!

Old
05-12-2013, 11:30 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
It's near impossible for them to schedule games after game 4s. They set these schedules many months in advance. They can't pencil in a non-guaranteed game.

The Players is considered to be 'the 5th major', and is a big part of NBC's 'Championship Season' they heavily promote, with the Cup Final the flagship of that. It's understandable why they'd want that to be the focus of the weekend.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Seriously?

Who the hell signed this deal?!

Old
05-12-2013, 01:01 PM
ebox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Seriously?

Bettman but NBC gives league way more coverage than ESPN or any other network would have so it's not bad.

NBCSports and CNBC has games

Old
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Seriously?

Did you not bother to read the above?

Old
05-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

The national ratings have been horrible so far.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
The national ratings have been horrible so far.
Local games being on their respective RSNs takes a huge bite out of national ratings.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
showstopper99

I do believe and you can correct me last year Eastern finals could not beat out Boston/Tampa Bay. Boston is legit, but TB is a sunbelt team. You had two New York teams and it was flush or just under the Boston TB. Granted the Boston series went 7, but I do believe Boston/TB did average more for the 6 game stretch.

My case with Pittsburgh is their a team full of superstars, they transcend a little outside their town for attention. You know how easy this is for the NHL to sell "the game of hockey" with Chicago and Pittsburgh. Both teams play at a high level they don't back in they go through the front door. You have star players, great hockey cities, atmosphere in each building that looks great on TV, also 2 of the best teams in each conference. If your tuning into the NHL for the first time I would want them to watch a Pittsburgh/Chicago as of right now. Did you watch that Isles series with Pittsburgh? Great stuff.... I'm looking at the big picture.

Now I'll say this if New York had this roster(Pittsburgh or Chicago)? and they were this good for this long and would be for the continuing future. I have no doubt New York would be drawing 10 massive ratings like nothing. Also, I understand a 10 in New York is different than a 10 in Pittsburgh...........

Last edited by showstopper99: 05-12-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add words, break up paragraphs
Old
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Local games being on their respective RSNs takes a huge bite out of national ratings.
This always the case in hockey, isn't that right?

As for New York, look at Boston and Chicago.
Both had ok ratings, won the cup, and then have crescendod since then.

New York had a good run last reason and their ratings shot up this season. If you give them a good team wait and see how high they go.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
This always the case in hockey, isn't that right?
It used to be the 1st 2 round were covered by RSNs. As of last year, only the 1st round is.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
sctvman

Look at the '06-'07 thread and see how far the NHL has come.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...atings+revenue

Old
05-13-2013, 02:28 AM
frivolousz21

Chicago vs Det.

going to NBC Prime time for sure.

This is a huge huge huge break for for maximizing the highest potential audience attm for the Western Conference.

Locally and regionally this match-up if it goes 6 or 7 would end up with some huge regional ratings. Would be enough to ensure 1 million per game on NBCSN and for sure a shot at 2 million plus in bigger games.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Nicky Santoro

It's going to be a great night of hockey.. can't wait for those game 7's.... Round 2 will be great for hockey. CHI/DET..also battle of CALIF. it's a rivalry there. SJ/LA. should be fun. Also, Pens and Sid advanced.. and if BOS and NYR advance tonight.. It'll be NYR/BOS.. Gary Bettman will be the happiest man on earth if BOS and NYR win tonight. Ratings for Round 2 will set records..

Tonight's predictions

Washington 7.3.. (Nationals play late)
NYR 6.8 (No NYK, no NYY, just NYM, who are no threat) imagine if the NYR were able to score goals and didn't play boring games?? they'd be getting 9.9 tonight instead of 6.8.

Boston 17.6.. (No Redsox.. only thing on in BOS)

Closed Thread