HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this the end of Shvidki as a Panther?

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 07:12 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Is this the end of Shvidki as a Panther?

SUNRISE, FLA. - Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced today that the club has assigned 11 players to the San Antonio Rampage training camp. Joining Florida's top affiliate are: D Kent Huskins, C Mike Green, D Grant McNeill, G Simon Lajeunesse, G Travis Scott, RW Denis Shvidki, RW Max Birbraer, LW Lee Goren, RW Juraj Kolnik, C Petr Taticek and D Jeff Paul. The re-assignment of the 11 players leaves the Panthers with 37 players in training camp.

Shvidki has be reasigned to San Antonio. How much longer is this kid going to underachieve here. I think its time to move him before we waste him.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Clash*

If he's been that bad in camp, he might be wasted already. Too bad the kid didn't pan out, but he's startin to get passed up on the depth charts by lesser talents.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:52 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Skip the fact that Shvidki is going to the AHL. Taticek got assigned so I'm sure the team is about to sign him or have already signed him. Going back to Shvidki now, its weird how reports had him playing extremely well on Olli's wing during camp but in the game against the Avs had trouble. He seems like another player that will flourish elsewhere and thats unfortunate. But looking at that draft yr (99), maybe patience is important as many of those players have yet to develop fully. At this point, he's just the victim of the numbers game and hopefully he continues to work on his game. If he pushes himself and shows management something special, he'll force Dudley to make a move later in the season.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:54 PM
FlaPanthers7

I'm surprised by Kolnik going down already. It sounded like he was having a solid camp so far. I guess it's just the numbers game.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:04 PM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7
I'm surprised by Kolnik going down already. It sounded like he was having a solid camp so far. I guess it's just the numbers game.
he didn't deserve this fate; he should be at least the 4th line rw. preseason is always a joke w/ FLA, it's just a formality; keenan knows who he will put on the opening roster from the start.

Old
09-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
he didn't deserve this fate; he should be at least the 4th line rw. preseason is always a joke w/ FLA, it's just a formality; keenan knows who he will put on the opening roster from the start.

It's probably more to do with the fact that the better players were the ones that were not cut... Sorry but no one knew that Van Ryn and Mezei would be this good...

It wasn't planned that way... Sorry but a few guys are ahead of Kolnik in the depth chart at forward:

Kozlov, Jokinen, Bure, Nilson, Cullen, Huselius, Weiss, Nedorost, etc...

I am didn't even get into the grinders...

I would rather have Kolnik playing top line minutes in San Antonio and then forcing someone into being traded... He does no good on a fourth line, that would be wasting talent.

But to state that the lineups are pre-determined is a little presumptuous to say the least... The best players usually win unless of course a huge contract is the problem but... If he was THAT GOOD he would be on the team no matter what...

Old
09-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHaos2k
It's probably more to do with the fact that the better players were the ones that were not cut... Sorry but no one knew that Van Ryn and Mezei would be this good...

It wasn't planned that way... Sorry but a few guys are ahead of Kolnik in the depth chart at forward:

Kozlov, Jokinen, Bure, Nilson, Cullen, Huselius, Weiss, Nedorost, etc...

I am didn't even get into the grinders...

I would rather have Kolnik playing top line minutes in San Antonio and then forcing someone into being traded... He does no good on a fourth line, that would be wasting talent.

But to state that the lineups are pre-determined is a little presumptuous to say the least... The best players usually win unless of course a huge contract is the problem but... If he was THAT GOOD he would be on the team no matter what...

There never was a doubth Mezei wouldnt stick...

Old
09-22-2003, 04:09 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Just a quick update as this pertains to the 2 mentioned players and could impact some things. I found this in the Miami Herald today:
Quote:
After Oct. 3, both Shvidki and Kolnik have to pass through waivers to be sent to the minors. The only deterrent to taking Shvidki off waivers is his $1,127,500 NHL salary. Most teams aren't taking $1 million gambles.
To me that sounds like Kolnik might be grabbed if someone likes him enough. Thats unfortunate for him but shows the kind of depth FL has now. And I think part of the reason for his demotion is the other thing stated in the article:
Quote:
The only thing that might keep Novoseltsev out of the AHL is a one-way deal that pays him $877,250 whether he's in the NHL or minors.
And Novo is probably going to play a lot of 4th line RW (the spot that ED wanted Kolnik to at least grab). Kolnik will be better off being grabbed by another team so he can get a chance.

Source: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ey/6830853.htm

Old
09-22-2003, 04:19 AM
sting_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Just a quick update as this pertains to the 2 mentioned players and could impact some things. I found this in the Miami Herald today:To me that sounds like Kolnik might be grabbed if someone likes him enough. Thats unfortunate for him but shows the kind of depth FL has now. And I think part of the reason for his demotion is the other thing stated in the article: And Novo is probably going to play a lot of 4th line RW (the spot that ED wanted Kolnik to at least grab). Kolnik will be better off being grabbed by another team so he can get a chance.

Source: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ey/6830853.htm
No doubt Shvidki gets picked up on waivers, if put there. Kolnik would likely be in the same boat. Whoever picks up Shvidki will be laughing. This kid has more then enough talent, it's just Florida has been a really bad situation that will never get better.

Quote:
Novoseltsev also has to pass through waivers to be sent to the minors, but it's likely he would clear them.
I think "the moron" is wrong here. At $890,000, Novoseltsev would likely be picked up if put on waivers.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting_fan
No doubt Shvidki gets picked up on waivers, if put there. Kolnik would likely be in the same boat. Whoever picks up Shvidki will be laughing. This kid has more then enough talent, it's just Florida has been a really bad situation that will never get better.

I think "the moron" is wrong here. At $890,000, Novoseltsev would likely be picked up if put on waivers.

Face it.. They aren't that good... And definently not for almost 1 million a piece give or take... Face it this is not managements fault... They brought in more talent and now these guys don't have a spot... They lost it on their own and like Dudley said they could play their way back on the team... I support all the prospects but I just want the best players iced every night.... And I believe Dudley and Keenan when they say these aguys aren't them...

Old
09-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Heimy

This is a stunning development. There's no doubt patience quickly ran thin for Denis and genuine opportunities here were scarcely provided.

Still, I suspect he'll be retained rather than lost for nothing on waivers. If he IS placed on waivers you can bet he'll be picked up by any of a dozen wise GMs. Minnesota and NJ among others come to mind.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:18 AM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
This is a stunning development. There's no doubt patience quickly ran thin for Denis and genuine opportunities here were scarcely provided.

Still, I suspect he'll be retained rather than lost for nothing on waivers. If he IS placed on waivers you can bet he'll be picked up by any of a dozen wise GMs. Minnesota and NJ among others come to mind.
I think this is Denis's fault. I think he is getting the chance to show what he has got, but is dropping the ball big time. I barely noticed him at all in the scrimmages I saw. I think he could be a call-up later on, but he is going to have to work a lot harder on the ice.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
I think this is Denis's fault. I think he is getting the chance to show what he has got, but is dropping the ball big time. I barely noticed him at all in the scrimmages I saw. I think he could be a call-up later on, but he is going to have to work a lot harder on the ice.
I only got to see a few periods of one practice but Denis looked solid from my seat. Still, the reality is Denis plays a euro style that isn't valued by the same Keenan that tried to deal away Marcus Naslund for peanuts. Dudley mentions Shvidki's skill but he hasn't been impressed with him this summer. My thinking is this...Shvidki will either be protected or this clubs finances are far worse off than I thought. Well run organizations just don't throw away this kind of talent for nothing.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
I only got to see a few periods of one practice but Denis looked solid from my seat. Still, the reality is Denis plays a euro style that isn't valued by the same Keenan that tried to deal away Marcus Naslund for peanuts. Dudley mentions Shvidki's skill but he hasn't been impressed with him this summer. My thinking is this...Shvidki will either be protected or this clubs finances are far worse off than I thought. Well run organizations just don't throw away this kind of talent for nothing.

If Denis would have played better he would have bumped someone out of a top two lines spot. He like Novoseltsev are not effective on lower lines which we have filled this offseason. Shvidki is last on a list of forwards I would rather see play important minutes first....

Weiss, Nedorost, Horton, Stewart, Taticek.... etc.

He had a lot of people to go through... I think Denis should concentrate on lighting up the AHL as Weiss' linemate...

I wouldn't send weiss to the minors either but this is a testament to the type of depth we have aquired... Denis will have to make an opportunity for himself...

HEAR THAT DENIS??

I said time for you to WORK HARD and prove that you're a top line talent to go with all that potential...

Old
09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Crossbar

Just because "Injure-Me-Shvidki" was drafted high doesn't mean he deserves anything, he has to earn the spot on the team and clearly he doesn't deserve it. Who wants to pickup a $1,127,500 Salary of an unproven player that gets injured EVERY season?? Perhaps Bryan Murray??

Old
09-22-2003, 07:03 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Looking at that 99 draft class, not many higher picks have emerged yet either. The top 15 picks all have that label of "potential" so its not just Denis. I think a GM will pick him up just like many of those other top 15 picks have been moved. Remember, if he's not in the NHL, his salary isn't $1.1275 million (I think its like 1/4 of that). Can another team claim him and send him to the AHL??

As far as Novo goes, I noticed his development over the yrs. He's worked his ass off to become better defensively. He's still young enough to have a breakthrough (it took Jokinen 6 yrs). His salary isn't completely unmanagable and I think any team that would pick him up off waivers would benefit greatly.

Kolnik probably deserved a spot but certain situations occurred and I do see him leaving. He's a solid prospect but nothing spectacular. I think both Novo & Kolnik would be better off playing in the West.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Lloyd Braun

Quote:
According to reports in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel earlier this summer, Novoseltsev, Cullen and Trnka already cleared waivers this summer with no takers. I think the report ran in early to mid August. Anyone have a link?

Old
09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun
According to reports in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel earlier this summer, Novoseltsev, Cullen and Trnka already cleared waivers this summer with no takers. I think the report ran in early to mid August. Anyone have a link?

I think you're correct on Novoseltsev and Cullen but I don't think Trnka was waived.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:31 AM
sting_fan

Quote:
I think you're correct on Novoseltsev and Cullen but I don't think Trnka was waived.
I don't think Novoseltsev was ever placed on waivers. At least there wasn't a report about it in the online edition of the Sun-Sentinel.

There was a report about a week or two back that Cullen had been placed on waivers with no takers.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Clash*

Quote:
I don't think Novoseltsev was ever placed on waivers. At least there wasn't a report about it in the online edition of the Sun-Sentinel.

There was a report about a week or two back that Cullen had been placed on waivers with no takers.
Actually I do believe Novo cleared waivers at the same time as Cullen and possibly Trnka. I do recall the three names bein mentioned as havin cleared. Too bad archives cost cash, and I'm not goin to the library for the microfiche.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Heimy

Well, there you have it Lloyd Braun, three replies, three different answers.

Clear as mud eh?

Old
09-23-2003, 01:53 PM
sting_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Actually I do believe Novo cleared waivers at the same time as Cullen and possibly Trnka. I do recall the three names bein mentioned as havin cleared. Too bad archives cost cash, and I'm not goin to the library for the microfiche.
Is it possible that was only in the print edition of the Sun-Sentinel? I ran a search on http://news.google.com and the only record that came up was that of Cullen clearing waivers.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Is it possible that was only in the print edition of the Sun-Sentinel? I ran a search on http://news.google.com and the only record that came up was that of Cullen clearing waivers.

Well I would do it myself but I am about 2000 miles away. When the boys get back from Texas will someone be able to ask Russo, Neil, or Biggane at a practise to end this debate. Hell I even heard someone got to talk to Dudley themselves...

Contacts people contacts...

Now where is my rolodex?

Old
09-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Its possible, as I think I read that in an edition of the Sentinel that I stole from a patient's bedside at work. I remember Novo and Cullen, and there bein a third name, but not sure if it was Trnka or not. Lately, I've noticed a lot of articles makin the print page and not the web page.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Heimy

[QUOTE=sting_fan]Is it possible that was only in the print edition of the Sun-Sentinel? [QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that's probably what it is. I get the Sun-Sent and I can't count the times I've read the on-line column only to find an additional blurb in the actual morning paper.

Closed Thread