HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Nonis TML GM|Burke retained as Senior Advisor to board - III

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Drew311
#DartGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Listen to the Anselmi interview with McCown. I wanted to punch my windshield out listening to that *****. McCown backed him up into a corner so much that Anselmi basically stated that Burke wasn't fired because of his hockey moves.

And that folks, is a joke.
Of course he wasn't fired because of his hockey decisions. The new corporate *****es couldn't handle Burke swearing in meetings, wearing his tie loosely in public and having confrontations with the talking head iditos in the media. Completely justifiable reasons to fire a General Manager of a professional hockey team.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Between Toronto FC hiring a player still playing in the premier league as their coach, AA turning the Blue Jays into WS contenders overnight, the Argos winning the Grey Cup, and having history repeat itself today with Nonis replacing Burke as GM of a team, I would say pigs do indeed fly, at least in Toronto.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
dubey
U scared? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If we dumped Burke in the summer, I'd have no qualms, you can't really defend the record, or at least not acknowledge the rationale. To do it today, with this shortened season, is pure madness, it reeks of a powerplay by a suit who is used to pushing people around. A very bad omen for this regime, and the rest of the hockey world is rightfully laughing at us right now.
Yup

I don't think you'll find one person outside of the new ownership group that would agree with the timing of these moves.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
goonx

Probably some fat-ass corporate Rogers or Bell guy reading how Luongo would push the leafs into the playoffs. Told Burke to go get him, burke said screw-off let me run my team and fired his ass the next day.

If luongo comes here for a hefty price, i'll be pissed. Besides, he wants to play in FLORIDA, not toronto.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Listen to the Anselmi interview with McCown. I wanted to punch my windshield out listening to that *****. McCown backed him up into a corner so much that Anselmi basically stated that Burke wasn't fired because of his hockey moves.

And that folks, is a joke.
This is just another reason why I'm an Ontario boy cheering for the Bruins my whole life... Sad really grew up watch the Leafs too and I wouldn't mind if they won the cup for my nephew and other family members but I just can't see it happening when you have owners telling you how to do your job !!!

Joke is right dude

Old
01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Drew311
#DartGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
You know what, you guys fill up the stands through Ballard and the Pension fund, you will still line up around the streets now.
Are you saying you haven't been a die hard Blue Jays for for the past 20 years (depending on your age)?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
bobrules

Just found out. Wttffff

Old
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Are you saying you haven't been a die hard Blue Jays for for the past 20 years (depending on your age)?
Yep, been there the whole time. Had to suffer through Gord Ash and JP Riccardi but we got good times ahead, just like the Leafs if they hire the right GM to replace Burke.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Everyone is reading what they will out of it. IMO, Anselmi basically said Burke wasn't fired 'purely' because of his hockey moves. However, the hockey moves didn't help his cause any.
Absolutely, I wonder if Burke knew what he was doing.

Says he wants a truculent team, trades for Kessel, Connoly, Lombardi. Signs guys like Bozak, D`àmigo drafts Kadri, etc.

Stresses defense, yet builds a run and gun team. After building run and gun team hires a defensive minded coach.

Says he does not believe in giving out long deals, yet willing to trade for a guy who has one. Says he builds from the net out, 4 years later he`s still looking for a goalie. Yeah I think Burke was a little confused.

Old
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Exactly, Nonis actually made most of the moves if you take Burke at his word, so why do you keep him if the moves are the real issue. NO, this is simply some Bell stooge who is used to having his own way not jiving with a guy who speaks his mind and instead of making a rational move we DUMP our GM on the eve of the season. The whole hockey world is shocked, not because of Burke's abysmal record and perhaps deserving to be fired, but because they did so without a game being played, nine months after we last touched the ice. This is about politics, and it is a joke. If this is about hockey, Nonis is SO gone!
End of story.

Nonis would be out the door with Burke if it were hockey related. The fact that MLSE is owned by the media (Bell/Rogers) and Burke having such as great relationship with the media () ultimately led to his firing.

On a side note... I am a fan of Dave Nonis' work thus far in his career and I hope he doesn't pull off the Luongo trade.

Old
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Yup

I don't think you'll find one person outside of the new ownership group that would agree with the timing of these moves.
Only caveat is that there may have been a triggering incident that we don't (and may never) know about, that left them with little choice. But barring that possibility, I agree, the optics of this are terrible.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
HeroNtF

On a bright side, maybe this will open more doors for trading if what people say about "teams not wanting to trade with Burke" is true.

Was originally completely against the thought of even getting Luongo into a leafs uniform, but now that I think about it getting us into the playoffs, and missing out on a potential top draft pick, it will greatly increase our chances of top free agents seeing us as a contender and not a joke and jumping on board... maybe grab a Getzlaf ?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
robdicks

I've been trying to wrap my head around this all day. You can certainly make an argument that Burke deserved to be fired, but this seems to be about how Burke carries himself in the media and his straight-forward personality.

I can even understand that problem, especially since Bell and Rogers are media conglomerates, but to fire him now just 10 days before the season starts is baffling.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Drew311
#DartGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Yep, been there the whole time. Had to suffer through Gord Ash and JP Riccardi but we got good times ahead, just like the Leafs if they hire the right GM to replace Burke.
Well you make Leafs fans out to be idiots for continuing to watch/attend games regardless of how incometent mangagment is or how bad the teams plays. The Leafs haven't been competitive for 8 seasons, the Jays haven't been competitive for 19 years. Need I say more?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
On a bright side, maybe this will open more doors for trading if what people say about "teams not wanting to trade with Burke" is true.

Was originally completely against the thought of even getting Luongo into a leafs uniform, but now that I think about it getting us into the playoffs, and missing out on a potential top draft pick, it will greatly increase our chances of top free agents seeing us as a contender and not a joke and jumping on board... maybe grab a Getzlaf ?
The thing is, historically Burke is the type of person that likes to take those risky deals. Nonis was infamous in Vancouver for his inability to pull the trigger. I think Nonis would have been better for this team in 2008 and Burke better for the team now.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Well you make Leafs fans out to be idiots for continuing to watch/attend games regardless of how incometent mangagment is or how bad the teams plays. The Leafs haven't been competitive for 8 seasons, the Jays haven't been competitive for 19 years. Need I say more?
Insert lame excuse about the Jays being in the AL east, about only 8 teams in the playoffs,

blah, blah blah

Old
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
If you're going to fire Burke based on his hockey philosophies, don't replace him with Nonis.

If you're going to fire Burke based not on his hockey philosophies, don't fire Burke.
Exactly.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
If you're going to fire Burke based on his hockey philosophies, don't replace him with Nonis.

If you're going to fire Burke based not on his hockey philosophies, don't fire Burke.
Great post.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
ShooterMikgaven

The biggest question now becomes, what will happen to burkeys dog house?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

100% at the end of the year we will all want Burke back...

MLSE is a bunch of multi millionaires playing with their shinny new toy...

Burke didnt want to be a puppet so they axed him!

plain and simple!

Old
01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I thought Bell/Rogers Ownership acted as a team, with the proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence in their decision today.

The goal was to rid the organization of blue and white disease or sense of entitlement and that is what happened, starting at the top.

Sports is a results oriented business.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Leafidelity
$House Money$

vCash: 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
The biggest question now becomes, what will happen to burkeys dog house?
They took the sign down earlier today

Old
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Nonis had no choice to be a yes man for the board...

I can hear the conversation now:

Anselmi: Dave we are firing Brian because he doesnt want to play ball! Would you like to join Brian or us?

Nonis: I'll join you my master....

Anselmi: Good, saves me from a conversation with Dave or Claude.

Old
Drew311
#DartGuy

If Nonis pulls off a big deal that benefits the Leafs in the long term, people will forget about Burke pretty quickly.

Nonis mentioned in one of his interviews today that he and Burke rarely saw eye-to-eye about players they wanted to acquire. Nonis could pull off a deal that he may have discussed previously with another GM, but couldn't pull the trigger because Burke nixed it. You never really know what the hiring of Nonis will mean to the team until we start seeing his fingerprint. I know he had major input on past moves, but I'm sure Burke had the final say on all decisions, which will now be up to Nonis.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I thought Bell/Rogers Ownership acted as a team, with the proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence in their decision today.

The goal was to rid the organization of blue and white sense of entitlement and that is what happened, starting at the top.
It doesn't matter what people here think of what Burke did or did not accomplish.

Perhaps polls are reflective of what Anatole France wrote.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Closed Thread