Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
You know escept the fact that the Pats actually make the playoffs every year and are contenders. So its nothing like that.

Iginla tell Feaster that he's testing FA and they aren't going to make the playoffs do they really have much of a choice but trade him?

They have many tradeable assets outside of the core group that they could put together to get Iginla.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
You know escept the fact that the Pats actually make the playoffs every year and are contenders. So its nothing like that.

Iginla tell Feaster that he's testing FA and they aren't going to make the playoffs do they really have much of a choice but trade him?

They have many tradeable assets outside of the core group that they could put together to get Iginla.
Cultural atmosphere with "the fans in mind" and of the fans / what they demand out of their ownership to display on the ice with team ≠ situation of a franchise when you're talking about a player like Iginla.

For example: see the destruction of the Red Sox or the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is the same mindset that the Calgary Flames employ. They're the greatest. They don't need to change. They can win with free agency.

Again, what tradeable assets do the Bruins have which won't implicate the future / won't involve Seguin or Hamilton? I know if I'm Jay Feaster, I would have to start with either one of those players to slide trading Iginla away from Calgary to the fans. If I was an outsider looking in on the Bruins organization, there is no combination of players that the Bruins would be realistic to offer that would come close to what Iginla will likely garner.

What type of realistic package do fans honestly believe will be better than every other offer any other team in the league can or will be likely to make?

Ryan Spooner + Jordan Caron + 2013 1st rounder won't be netting you Iginla because most teams will be able to beat that offer.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-07-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Cultural atmosphere with "the fans in mind" and of the fans / what they demand out of their ownership to display on the ice with team ≠ situation of a franchise when you're talking about a player like Iginla.

For example: see the destruction of the Red Sox or the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is the same mindset that the Calgary Flames employ. They're the greatest. They don't need to change. They can win with free agency.

Again, what tradeable assets do the Bruins have which won't implicate the future / won't involve Seguin or Hamilton? I know if I'm Jay Feaster, I would have to start with either one of those players to slide trading Iginla away from Calgary to the fans. If I was an outsider looking in on the Bruins organization, there is no combination of players that the Bruins would be realistic to offer that would come close to what Iginla will likely garner.

What type of realistic package do fans honestly believe will be better than every other offer any other team in the league can or will be likely to make?

Ryan Spooner + Jordan Caron + 2013 1st rounder won't be netting you Iginla because most teams will be able to beat that offer.
No one is trading a player of Seguin and Hamilton's caliber for a month and a playoff run of a mid 30's forward with ntc. No one. Now, Feaster may hold on to him. But he'll just lose his job eventually and Iginla with sign somewhere to contend in the offseason. It's pretty simple really.

Did I mention Iginla has a NTC. I'm sure there are like 3-4 teams he'd be willing to go to.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
No one is trading a player of Seguin and Hamilton's caliber for a month and a playoff run of a mid 30's forward with ntc. No one. Now, Feaster may hold on to him. But he'll just lose his job eventually and Iginla with sign somewhere to contend in the offseason. It's pretty simple really.

Did I mention Iginla has a NTC. I'm sure there are like 3-4 teams he'd be willing to go to.
Exactly my point.

Other teams have many assets that will be able to be put together to form a nice package. Bruins have little in terms of real tradeable assets. Thus the trade discussion starts with Seguin or Hamilton if I'm Feaster and I'm talking with Boston because I can be guaranteed to be offered something better elsewhere than the likely package the Bruins are likely to offer (which means no Seguin and no Hamilton).

Pittsburgh is the likely landing spot for Iginla. They have both the current team in place to go far with him and the ability to trade more than one of their many highly-touted defensemen prospects.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Exactly my point.
I think you're wrong though, I think they're going to have to get something for him while they can. He's not an idiot. He sees what a mess that team is. We act like this sort of thing has never happened except: Bourque, Ray

He'll get traded, and it will be for something similar to what you think teams will be chomping at the bit to beat, only teams have dealt that kind of capital for the Hossas and Kovalchuk's and those guys were in their primes.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Bruwinz37

Caps are a disaster...Pens putting the beat down on them.

They will make moves sooner than later.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Caps are a disaster...Pens putting the beat down on them.

They will make moves sooner than later.
We have 5 million to spend.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Quote:
Massive overpayment here.
Okay - not massive - but an overpayment.

Even if that is what it took to land Jarome - I would prefer they take Spooner out and place in Koko or Knight - I still do it for a real shot at cup # 2 in 3 years.

Gets me excited.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:56 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
I think you're wrong though, I think they're going to have to get something for him while they can. He's not an idiot. He sees what a mess that team is. We act like this sort of thing has never happened except: Bourque, Ray

He'll get traded, and it will be for something similar to what you think teams will be chomping at the bit to beat, only teams have dealt that kind of capital for the Hossas and Kovalchuk's and those guys were in their primes.
I think you're mistaking what I'm saying: I'm not saying the Flames won't get anything or he won't be traded. What I am saying is that the Flames will be offered a better package elsewhere than what the Bruins are likely to offer or that Feaster will put the brass to the wall and say "all trade talks with Boston start with Seguin or Hamilton, barring either of those players then it's no dice, we will move onto talks with another team." The Bruins are not the only dog in the hunt and several of those teams have more trade-capital available.

If I'm Feaster and I've finally decided to start a rebuild, and I'm talking to Boston, I wouldn't accept anything short of starting with Seguin or Hamilton - which is the reason why I feel Feaster will take his business elsewhere. Selling a trade with Boston to that fanbase without returning Seguin or Hamilton will be a much harder task to keep your job in the months afterwards than pulling a trade with another team where they don't necessarily have the same type of talent but were able to put together a still very nice trade package.

Trade packages / what level of talent or potential they start at and values change based on the teams involved.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-07-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
I think you're mistaking what I'm saying: I'm not saying the Flames won't get anything or he won't be traded. What I am saying is that the Flames will be offered a better package elsewhere than what the Bruins are likely to offer. The Bruins are not the only dog in the hunt and several of those teams have more trade-capital available.
And that may be fair, but I don't think those teams are going to blow Spooner/Koko - Caron - 1st out of the water. Pittsburgh has some solid D prospects, but they aren't Hamilton like.

Take this list for example: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1381

Morrow is at 35, Koko at 49, Spooner at 54. Not a huge difference really.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Montecristo

No idea if they are selling but the avalanche have been bad for a while. With this cap space now and the avs seemingly in rebuilding mode I'd really like to see the bruins move picks/prospects for Milan hejduk. Always liked his game as a pure goal scorer, and I think the Avs could return the favor the bs did for them when we basically gave them ray bourque for a cup chance as his career winded down. He'd complement pevs and Kelly well and could play the role of veteran presence that contributes on special teams as a pure sniper

Old
02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
And that may be fair, but I don't think those teams are going to blow Spooner/Koko - Caron - 1st out of the water. Pittsburgh has some solid D prospects, but they aren't Hamilton like.

Take this list for example: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1381

Morrow is at 35, Koko at 49, Spooner at 54. Not a huge difference really.
I revised my post to make the explanation and reasoning more full.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they want a young roster player + top prospect + high draft pick, again that will be based on the team(s) they're talking with.

I think we are all in agreement that the Bruins wouldn't be wise to be shaking the current roster up at this point.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-07-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
westernhome

I think some of you are way overvaluing what a 35 year old player like Iginla making $7 million a year and about to be a UFA brings in trade value.

he is a great player and all, but that is only a small factor in what a team can get for him... if Iginla wants to go somewhere, I think that team will likely get him for much less than you might expect at face value

Old
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I think some of you are way overvaluing what a 35 year old player like Iginla making $7 million a year and about to be a UFA brings in trade value.

he is a great player and all, but that is only a small factor in what a team can get for him... if Iginla wants to go somewhere, I think that team will likely get him for much less than you might expect at face value
Paul gaustad in the last year of his deal netted a1st round pick. Of the 30 NHL teams, you'll find one maniac gm willing to overpay for iginla which as chiarelli shouldnt he won't. Human error isn't being factored in. You don't think the blackhawks would give up clendening, saad and a first for iginla if they thought he would put them over the top? I think they would, even if it means selling the farm and giving up in their minds the 30th pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post

Gaustad returned a 1st rounder on an expiring contract. Many players last year on expiring contracts retained high draft picks at the deadline. Adding a player like Iginla will cost a lot more than that and the team that does will likely be destined for a long playoff run (potential profits right there that will pay for the deal in-itself).

It's all about supply and demand and each year the supply decreases while the demand has gone up (especially since the cap was installed into the league and more teams retain their self developed top tier talent).

Old
02-07-2013, 08:20 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
I think you're mistaking what I'm saying: I'm not saying the Flames won't get anything or he won't be traded. What I am saying is that the Flames will be offered a better package elsewhere than what the Bruins are likely to offer or that Feaster will put the brass to the wall and say "all trade talks with Boston start with Seguin or Hamilton, barring either of those players then it's no dice, we will move onto talks with another team." The Bruins are not the only dog in the hunt and several of those teams have more trade-capital available.

If I'm Feaster and I've finally decided to start a rebuild, and I'm talking to Boston, I wouldn't accept anything short of starting with Seguin or Hamilton - which is the reason why I feel Feaster will take his business elsewhere. Selling a trade with Boston to that fanbase without returning Seguin or Hamilton will be a much harder task to keep your job in the months afterwards than pulling a trade with another team where they don't necessarily have the same type of talent but were able to put together a still very nice trade package.

Trade packages / what level of talent or potential they start at and values change based on the teams involved.
Except Iginla has a NMC.. so while other teams can offer whatever they want, they not only have to have space for Iginla's contract, they have to be a Cup favorite team. (at least, I imagine they'd have to be for Iginla to leave Calgary)

That alone brings the price waayyyyyyyyyy down.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Paul gaustad in the last year of his deal netted a1st round pick. Of the 30 NHL teams, you'll find one maniac gm willing to overpay for iginla which as chiarelli shouldnt he won't. Human error isn't being factored in. You don't think the blackhawks would give up clendening, saad and a first for iginla if they thought he would put them over the top? I think they would, even if it means selling the farm and giving up in their minds the 30th pick.
how would Chicago work out their cap situation?

and like Serenity Rick said, there are not 30 teams in the bidding

it would probably be more like, one or two teams that would seriously be even possible from all sides of the equation

Old
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Except Iginla has a NMC.. so while other teams can offer whatever they want, they not only have to have space for Iginla's contract, they have to be a Cup favorite team. (at least, I imagine they'd have to be for Iginla to leave Calgary)

That alone brings the price waayyyyyyyyyy down.
Not if that team is Pittsburgh.

They have both the cap space as well as the trade capital to not jeopardize their future. I'd much rather have my selection of possibly two of Despres, Pouliot, Maatta, Dumoulin, Morrow, Harrington and or the ability to include a proven player like a Tyler Kennedy than the package from the Bruins that I proposed a few posts ago (Spooner / Khoko, Caron / Knight, 1st).

Iginla next to Sid would be too tempting for the Penguins to resist no matter the cost in touted prospects. If they were to win the Cup thanks to that deal, it would be payment enough for that team, their fans, and their front office.

Listen guys, I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to be right. I ****ing hate the whole Penguins operation from Mario to Malkin, pure disgust. I hope the Flames take a package from the Bruins like the one I posted above. I have wet dreams of adding a player like Iginla. I just don't see it likely so I like to temper my expectations and think it out logically, which is why I see the Bruins adding a Morrow / Ryder type at the deadline. A deal like this would be more than enough to solidify the Bruins as one of the top dogs in the East heading into the playoffs (should they still be questioned) and it will likely cost a lot less than adding Iginla (both now and in terms of the future of the players involved). Plus add to the fact Ryder's proven and fantastic play / built-in chemistry with Kelly and Peverley (which was displayed in the biggest of games) and in my eyes he'd still be a great addition to the team.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-07-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I just want Iginla on this team. *pout*

I just want it.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

I love how balanced the Bruins are and everything, but the Penguins having Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, Neal, and more Cap space than us makes me sick.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Bruins will get Streit by the end of the year for McQuaid plus.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

They could have technically fit Iginla in without moving Thomas right away.

With Chia's penchant for making solidifying moves at the deadline this reeks of clearing the extra space needed for a move now without handcuffing them come deadline.

Or maybe he just did it because he could potentially get a 2nd round pick for nothing.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins will get Streit by the end of the year for McQuaid plus.
That I do not see happening brother

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Carlson and Hamilton as your franchise blueliners for the next X amount of years? Wow... how great would that be.

Chara - Carlson

Seidenburg - Hamilton

Ference - McQuaid

Very nice. One of the best defenses in the league.

And there are some nice prospects waiting in the wings: Bartkowski, Krug, Trotman, Miller, Cross, etc.

One of them might be a reasonable replacement for Ference, saving even more cap next year.

Closed Thread