2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:16 AM
DoubleAAAA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Thought it was helping with next year's cap situation. Ference/Pevs doesn't really do that. I don't think they re-sign Ference if he's expecting a raise personally.

I think Boychuk is a definite in this scenario. Probably Boychuk and Pevs.
Seems the most likely scenario to me as well. Big upgrade on the back, hurts depth up front. Unless they think Spooner can make the move.

Edit: If they were to do this and add an expiring contract forward in a separate deal for picks that could look pretty stellar heading into the PO's. That D corps would be pretty deadly.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
it wouldn't happen because, bergeron
ftfy

Old
02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Thought it was helping with next year's cap situation. Ference/Pevs doesn't really do that. I don't think they re-sign Ference if he's expecting a raise personally.

I think Boychuk is a definite in this scenario. Probably Boychuk and Pevs.
Possible as well. No way they move Seids, he's infinitely valuable to the Bruins but Boychuk could be a guy another team would covet. Honestly though, I think the Bruins system (along with a healthy dose of Chara and Seids as partners) makes him look better then he is. I love the guy and all but he is what he is imo.

My concern would be the other piece that would have to accompany him in order to make this a cap friendly move for Boston next year... could the Bruins cover off a Peverly from within?

But we are talking about Carlson. Worth the risk imo. Chara, Carlson, Seids, Hamilton as a top 4? Drool.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I took OOG's post at face value as well, but my educated guess says it was Bergeron-which is why I do not think it will happen. In a horrible fit for their personne,l the Caps want to implement a defensive style of play. Besides that they have needed a good second line center since the Ovi era began.
They addressed that with the Ribero signing. Guys a douchenugget but he racks up the points and is ultra skilled. He sucks on the dot though and always has. Having a guy like Pevs on his wing would be a perfect scenario for them.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I don't see how Boychuk for Carlson improves us much this year; especially if we have to include Peverley, or someone like that. Seems like an odd idea.

If the Bruins are looking for anything; it should be someone that can improve their powerplay. At this point, I only see two teams that are likely already 'out of it' in Washington and Columbus. Unless we can swing a move for Alexander, I don't think it's worth it. And yes that's a bit of a joke.

I think Iginla is the only answer if Calgary actually falls out of the picture. As long as it doesn't come at the expense of our current top 6.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Possible as well. No way they move Seids, he's infinitely valuable to the Bruins but Boychuk could be a guy another team would covet. Honestly though, I think the Bruins system (along with a healthy dose of Chara and Seids as partners) makes him look better then he is. I love the guy and all but he is what he is imo.

My concern would be the other piece that would have to accompany him in order to make this a cap friendly move for Boston next year... could the Bruins cover off a Peverly from within?

But we are talking about Carlson. Worth the risk imo. Chara, Carlson, Seids, Hamilton as a top 4? Drool.
Thinking from a different angle, what if it's not a forward at all and they're looking to build up the depth in their D group?

Boychuk-McQuaid-Picks/Prospects. Doesn't save a TON on the cap next year, but certainly offers some savings. Probably enough to get Horton-Rask-Ference-Khudobin re-signed with the savings we already have and Thomas being off the cap this year keeps bounuses from being carried over.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Thinking from a different angle, what if it's not a forward at all and they're looking to build up the depth in their D group?

Boychuk-McQuaid-Picks/Prospects. Doesn't save a TON on the cap next year, but certainly offers some savings. Probably enough to get Horton-Rask-Ference-Khudobin re-signed with the savings we already have and Thomas being off the cap this year keeps bounuses from being carried over.
Kinda scary for the Bruins D depth though wouldn't it be? They'd have to be very secure in one of the Provo guys (or Johnson) holding down the fort until at least the trade deadline. A guy like Warsofsky likely, and that could be daunting with a fresh face in Carlson, and a rookie in Hamilton on the roster especially if injuries rear their ugly head.

This teams success has stemmed from their ability to adhere to the system defensively this year, and points are at a premium in the shortened season. It'd be a hell of a risk imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Kinda scary for the Bruins D depth though wouldn't it be? They'd have to be very secure in one of the Provo guys (or Johnson) holding down the fort until at least the trade deadline. A guy like Warsofsky likely, and that could be daunting with a fresh face in Carlson, and a rookie in Hamilton on the roster especially if injuries rear their ugly head.

This teams success has stemmed from their ability to adhere to the system defensively this year, and points are at a premium in the shortened season. It'd be a hell of a risk imo.
It depends what they thought of Jonson (I thought he fit like a glove). Carlson Johnson is a definite ++ over Boychuck/McQuaid IMO

Old
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

I don't see it that way, they could really lean on Chara-Seidenberg-Carlson-Ference. I don't see the same drop off from Johnson to McQuaid that most do anyway. They're both solid bottom pairing guys, and the upgrade from Boychuk to Carlson is well worth it. I also think Providence is going to start churning out bottom pairing caliber defensemen, so not too much of a worry there either. What we don't have in the system aside from Dougie is a top pairing caliber guy like Carlson is.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Need to go put the full court press on Anaheim and get Perry now

Old
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It depends what they thought of Jonson (I thought he fit like a glove). Carlson Johnson is a definite ++ over Boychuck/McQuaid IMO
Quote:
I don't see it that way, they could really lean on Chara-Seidenberg-Carlson-Ference. I don't see the same drop off from Johnson to McQuaid that most do anyway. They're both solid bottom pairing guys, and the upgrade from Boychuk to Carlson is well worth it. I also think Providence is going to start churning out bottom pairing caliber defensemen, so not too much of a worry there either. What we don't have in the system aside from Dougie is a top pairing caliber guy like Carlson is.
I think the key difference is that right now if Boston drops a dman to injury they bring in Johnson. In this new scenario if they drop a dman to injury the replacement is a Krug/Warsofsky type.

Don't get me wrong, I do that deal 10 times out of 10 and twice on Sunday, I'd kill to have that top 4 and the bottom pairing barring injury wouldn't be too bad either. Best defensive corps in the league imo.

Just playing Devils Advocate.... looking at issues Boston might have with it. If Washington would bite at Boychuk, McQuaid, prospect/pick for him that's golden imo, better then losing a guy like Peverly up front whom I think would be far far more difficult to replace.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I think our D is fine, not sure why people want to get another shut down d-man again. As if we don't have enough already. Our D has and is always steady, outside of the one Buffalo game where Vanek ripped us a new one.

Basing what we need for this season, offense is by far the biggest need. We have a solid tandem that will be just fine, Rask has been lights out and I was impressed with Khudobin's start so far.

We're gonna need another scoring winger that is better and more established than Bourque. That's how this team rolls, three scoring lines that can pick up the slack from not having one great line or one superstar player to carry us.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
I think the key difference is that right now if Boston drops a dman to injury they bring in Johnson. In this new scenario if they drop a dman to injury the replacement is a Krug/Warsofsky type.

Don't get me wrong, I do that deal 10 times out of 10 and twice on Sunday, I'd kill to have that top 4 and the bottom pairing barring injury wouldn't be too bad either. Best defensive corps in the league imo.

Just playing Devils Advocate.... looking at issues Boston might have with it. If Washington would bite at Boychuk, McQuaid, prospect/pick for him that's golden imo, better then losing a guy like Peverly up front whom I think would be far far more difficult to replace.
Sure, but last season it was easy enough to bring in depth guys at the deadline (Zanon, Mottau). Much tougher to make a Carlson/Boychuk type upgrade.

But like you said, you do it 11 out of 10, worry about the other stuff later. If the Caps are going to make a panic trade, I do what I can to help them out.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
I think our D is fine, not sure why people want to get another shut down d-man again. As if we don't have enough already. Our D has and is always steady, outside of the one Buffalo game where Vanek ripped us a new one.

Basing what we need for this season, offense is by far the biggest need. We have a solid tandem that will be just fine, Rask has been lights out and I was impressed with Khudobin's start so far.

We're gonna need another scoring winger that is better and more established than Bourque. That's how this team rolls, three scoring lines that can pick up the slack from not having one great line or one superstar player to carry us.
Carlson isn't just a shut down dman. He's a hell of an all around player. 30+ points in both of his full seasons, still not even in his prime yet. We need to remember that Boychuk, Seidenberg, and Chara are all nearing or into their 30s, and none of our current young Dmen aside from Dougie projects to top pairing.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

Carlson is far far more then a shutdown Dman. He's solid in his own end, is capable of 10+ goals/40+ points, is quite mobile and is still improving.

He'd thrive here imo, especially where Boston generates much of it's offense from the point. I'd love to see him get a fair shake on the PP as well... not sure why the Caps never made him a staple on it although Wideman, Ovechkin and Green likely played a significant part in that. The guy has a rocket of a shot and moves the puck very well.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Need to go put the full court press on Anaheim and get Perry now
Not going to happen. B's can't afford to re-sign him and Anaheim won't move him.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Carlson is far far more then a shutdown Dman. He's solid in his own end, is capable of 10+ goals/40+ points, is quite mobile and is still improving.

He'd thrive here imo, especially where Boston generates much of it's offense from the point. I'd love to see him get a fair shake on the PP as well... not sure why the Caps never made him a staple on it although Wideman, Ovechkin and Green likely played a significant part in that. The guy has a rocket of a shot and moves the puck very well.
Wasn't really referring to Carlson exactly. Just any type of shutdown D in general.

But what would the cost take?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Kings got Keaton Ellerby for a 5th rounder

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Wasn't really referring to Carlson exactly. Just any type of shutdown D in general.

But what would the cost take?
But yet Carlson and Streit have been the only dmen talked about in this thread for a couple of days now.

Cost is up in the air. The Caps could be desperate and do something stupid or they could be looking to cash in one of their best young players to shore up team needs.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Anaheim is 7-1-1 right now. They probably wouldn't move Perry if their record was bad, but now they'd be absolutely crazy to consider it. I will hold out hope that they drop real fast, though!

Old
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Kings got Keaton Ellerby for a 5th rounder
Not bad for the Kings, young stay at home D that could grow in a better defensive system like what the Kings have.

Old
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Why would we trade McQuaid?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Why would we trade McQuaid?
To get a better defenseman? I hope they never trade him, I love the hell out of him, but he's not untouchable in any way.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Anaheim is 7-1-1 right now. They probably wouldn't move Perry if their record was bad, but now they'd be absolutely crazy to consider it. I will hold out hope that they drop real fast, though!
Agree .. we could re-sign him too if we let Horton walk

hoping 4 this but the Ducks are looking good

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Not going to happen. B's can't afford to re-sign him and Anaheim won't move him.
Yah they could unless you think Perry is gunna get some ridiculous number

Closed Thread