HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
GoLeafsGo96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
None of them said otherwise. In fact, they all insinuated that it may have played a role. They just said it wasn't "the" reason.

The writing on the wall is clear. A bunch of cable television hockey pundits aren't going to have the inside scoop on the internal affairs of a billion dollar corporation. To suggest that Bobby Mac has any clue what went on behind closed doors is just absurd. In the real world, the business world, Bobby Mac is a nobody.

Plus, like I said, they never their belief was that it wasn't a factor. Just the "the" factor.

Keep trying to convince yourself though.
You're trying to convince yourself it was a factor without any proof either. In the same sense I used... you can't bring up any articles and whatnot that say otherwise either. You know as much as I know at this point.

With that in mind... Nonis later on the radio said he won't deal a young piece like Gardiner for short-term gain. (The question asked was a Luongo question, obviously. So it's safe to assume the mention of Gardiner was related to the speculation).

So unless Nonis is lying about the philosophy he will impose on the team...

McKenzie saying Gardiner is a non-stater and John Shannon's view of a Bozak + Kadri deal also doesn't help your "Gardiner is coming" point of view.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:31 PM
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

vCash: 50
Are we back to Reimer is a viable option? No competent GM is going to risk a season on Reimer starting again.

Maybe Burke had faith in his Scrivens/Reimer tandem but Nonis is a "build from the net" out guy.
Nonis will get a legitimate starter, Luongo or not.

Old
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Bottom line is that you missed the playoffs and you're goaltending was terrible. Again.
Could Reimer rebound? Sure. Should a competent GM count on it? Not if he wants to keep his job.
I'd rather put my money on Reimer rebounding then giving away Gardiner and Kadri for Luongo. Sure would we make the playoffs probably but like Burke has said when he was here "We're not interested in finishing in 8th and getting our ***** kicked." It's all nice and dandy that we get a couple of playoff years out of Luongo, it's even better if we kept blue chippers like Gardiner and Rielly and watched them succeed here, while continuing to build through the draft.

You Canuck fans sure seem really eager to convince us to take Luongo lol. Keep your $5 million back-up. I'd love to see how Gillis acts when the cap goes down next season and having 9 million dollars in goaltending.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
You already saw that movie last year.
And Canuck fans saw that movie for about a decade.

Cloutier gets a ton of flack but with Burke at the helm we went through a ton of young potentials mixed in with unwanted vets.

Luongo absolutely changed the game for us. Totally changed the scene in Vancouver. Gave us the chance.

Snow
Hirch
Weekes
Potvin
Schwab
Michaud
Essensa
Brochu
Auld
Skudra
Moss
Hedberg

Going back further you have Witmore, Fountain, and Gamble. Lucky we had MacLean.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Are we back to Reimer is a viable option? No competent GM is going to risk a season on Reimer starting again.

Maybe Burke had faith in his Scrivens/Reimer tandem but Nonis is a "build from the net" out guy. He'll get a legitimate starter, Luongo or not.
No competent GM is going to trade Jake Gardiner for an aging goaltender that doesn't fit into the age bracket of the team for the shot at a playoff round or two. Which isn't gaurenteed anyway, injury or anything like that, and the whole situation blows up.

There's more risk trading Jake Gardiner for Luongo than there is going into the season with Reimer as your starter.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01;57378533[B
]I'd rather put my money on Reimer rebounding then giving away Gardiner and Kadri for Luongo[/B]. Sure would we make the playoffs probably but like Burke has said when he was here "We're not interested in finishing in 8th and getting our ***** kicked." It's all nice and dandy that we get a couple of playoff years out of Luongo, it's even better if we kept blue chippers like Gardiner and Rielly and watched them succeed here, while continuing to build through the draft.
I agree with that. I wasn't expecting you to trade Gardiner.
Burke got canned for doing what you advocated. I doubt Nonis has much rope.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
No competent GM is going to trade Jake Gardiner for an aging goaltender that doesn't fit into the age bracket of the team for the shot at a playoff round or two. Which isn't gaurenteed anyway, injury or anything like that, and the whole situation blows up.

There's more risk trading Jake Gardiner for Luongo than there is going into the season with Reimer as your starter.
Bingo

Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannucky View Post
I live in Victoria , and no way the nucks don't use 1of there 2 cap free buy outs to dump his salary they can't bank them and they don't have any other big buck albatrose's on the books
ballard, Malhotra, booth would all be bought out before Luongo.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:36 PM
JackJ

UFA goaltenders in 2013:

Quote:
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter
Nihlstorp, Christopher
Fasth, Viktor
Boucher, Brian
Leighton, Michael
Khudobin, Anton
Karlsson, Henrik
Danis, Yann
McElhinney, Curtis
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
Montoya, Al
Johnson, Chad
Dekanich, Mark
Desjardins, Cedrick
Lawson, Nathan
Greiss, Thomas
Grumet-Morris, Dov
Leggio, David
MacDonald, Joey
Thiessen, Brad
McKenna, Mike
Hutton, Carter
Sabourin, Dany
Any starter will resign, the rest aren't even worth talking about. There is no plan B after luongo.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:36 PM
vanwest

Quote:

Agreed.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Gillis demands Gardiner. Burke says that isn't an option. Gillis tells Burke that if Gardiner is off the table, there will be no Luongo deal. Burke officially walks away, and lets management know they are going in a new direction. Management, already not happy with him and not wanting to lose out on tens of millions of dollars in playoff revenue, see this as the last straw and fire him before the weekend when he could do anything drastic.

In comes Nonis. Obviously he and the suits want the best deal possible. If they make it appear as if Nonis is hell bent on standing firm with Burke in his refusal to part with Gardiner, there is a much better chance of a more favorable price than if they just said "Ok, we'll give you Gardiner".

It's not complicated. It is called negotiation, and Nonis would be a moron to not partake in it. Besides, if Gardiner is on the table as per marching orders from the suits, it's not hard to make a phone call at the 11th hour.

Mind you, if crazy man Holmgren puts Schenn on the table, Nonis and the suits may not know when the 11th hour is.
Not only playoffs but the owner may have keen interest in the marketing potential of Luongos name/image.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

I'll take Schenn & Gardiner please.

Lu can split starts between the Leafs & Flyers.

pl0x

Old
01-09-2013, 11:39 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
UFA goaltenders in 2013:

Any starter will resign, the rest aren't even worth talking about. There is no plan B after luongo.
Agreed. Your goaltending has been terrible for years. There's no other option out there right now and no one else is going to give up a goalie to Toronto for free.
Of course Nonis could call Montreal and see if they'll give him Price for Kadri and Bozak and a second.

Old
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

Quote:

Not advocating the Gardiner+ trade for Luongo but what exactly is the risk of trading Gardiner?

At best he develops into a #1 a few years down the road, very very slight chance of him being at the level of a franchise defensemen. I doubt he ever matches the impact of Luongo on the Leafs.

Gardiner first needs to play un-sheltered 3rd pairing minutes before his impact can be compared to Luongo's.

With Luongo you know exactly what you get, the only question is for how many seasons.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Interesting movie.

Reimer coming off of a fantastic rookie season (Small portion, but still)

Plays fantastic early on, leading the Leafs to a strong record out of the gate posting good numbers. Gets a concussion after an incident where he gets an elbow to the head. Out for quite a while...

Comes back with the load on his shoulders, plays some good games... some bad games. Mostly bad as the season goes on, Inconsistent to say the least.

Whose to say Reimer wasn't played hurt? Threatened that he needed to get back and really take this team to the playoffs in order to really prove himself as a legit #1 goalie for the short term - and long term.

Is it so far off to believe Reimer can still be a solid goalie?
As crazy as Canuck fans maybe many of us remember the long years without solid tending. You could say Vancouver fans are experts in it.

Weve bought the "this guys might pan out" T-shirt several times over.

And yes its a horrible movie. Especially when it drags on for years on end.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:
You're trying to convince yourself it was a factor without any proof either. In the same sense I used... you can't bring up any articles and whatnot that say otherwise either. You know as much as I know at this point.

With that in mind... Nonis later on the radio said he won't deal a young piece like Gardiner for short-term gain. (The question asked was a Luongo question, obviously. So it's safe to assume the mention of Gardiner was related to the speculation).

So unless Nonis is lying about the philosophy he will impose on the team...

McKenzie saying Gardiner is a non-stater and John Shannon's view of a Bozak + Kadri deal also doesn't help your "Gardiner is coming" point of view.
I'm saying that if Gardiner is off the table, MLSE execs will have to sit down and explain to their shareholders why Jake Gardiner was worth $20 million+ loss in revenue. Not to mention retroactively if the Leafs cannot shore up their netminding and miss again next season.

There is not a singular reason to believe Gillis has any intentions of accepting Bozak and Kadri. As per a general manager who said "The general feeling among other GM's is that the Canucks are asking too much for Luongo".

Old
01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I live in Victoria , and no way the nucks don't use 1of there 2 cap free buy outs to dump his salary they can't bank them and they don't have any other big buck albatrose's on the books
sorry, but that's just plain silly.

You really think that the Leafs wouldn't take Luongo right now off waivers for nothing? You actually believe that all 29 teams would pass him up on waivers?

To be bought out that's what has to happen... a player has to go through waivers first and not be picked up. And then the owner can justify writing out a massive cheque to get rid of the contract - which Aquillini isn't about to do. The Canucks will trade Schneider first if it means that they need to pay over $30mill just to get rid of Luongo's contract.

Who in their right mind thinks that Luongo would pass through waivers without a single team picking him up for nothing? We're already hearing discussions of how the Leafs and Panthers are interested - but not at the asking price that Gillis has set. Do you seriously believe that they would not be interested at all if that price was 0? How many Leafs fans here arguing about the value for Luongo would still not take him for nothing? Sure I could see a few fans just don't want him, but I'd be willing to bet that a significant majority of Leafs fans would take him in a second on their team if the price was just a waiver cost.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
McJeety McJeet
Now w/ 100% more 'Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Are you volunteering to go into Aquilini's office and ask him to write a cheque for $33M to buy out Luongo? It's a scenario that just won't happen. Not to mention the fact that elite goalies like Luongo DON'T get bought out.
Lol, elite? Good sure. Who's the last "elite" goalie to be traded, Roy? Lou isn't close to P. Roy.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post
Lol, elite? Good sure. Who's the last "elite" goalie to be traded, Roy? Lou isn't close to P. Roy.
Last one was probably the last elite goalie to be traded from Florida to Vancouver

Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
ballard, Malhotra, booth would all be bought out before Luongo.
Malhotra will be UFA after this year, likely re-signed at a lower rate.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:45 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Agreed. Your goaltending has been terrible for years. There's no other option out there right now and no one else is going to give up a goalie to Toronto for free.
Of course Nonis could call Montreal and see if they'll give him Price for Kadri and Bozak and a second.
If not Luongo, then its time to sell the vets and rebuild from scratch.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
If not Luongo, then its time to sell the vets and rebuild from scratch.
Ok. Sounds like a plan then.

Old
McJeety McJeet
Now w/ 100% more 'Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Last one was probably the last elite goalie to be traded from Florida to Vancouver
Yup, I'd say he had more value during that trade. Also he wasnt "elite" even then. Elite gets thrown around too often around here. Roy was elite, Hasek was elite, Brodeur was elite, Lou is good.

Old
racerjoe

Quote:
Why would anyone write a cheque for 30 mil when absolute worst case they could waive him and have one of probably at least 15, probably more pick him up?

Still think Value is the same, roster player, top prospect, and a 1st, or value of that.

I am super excited that Philly may be interested, as I think for us it is the best fit. They would more than likely give up a player that fits and a 1st.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Stay on topic

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Closed Thread