HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
  #151
Petyr Baelish
Registered User
 
Petyr Baelish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Church of Laine
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
And there are 10 other articles which say the opposite. What a crazy day.
Link, or it never happened.

I am still hoping Columbus wins the sweepstakes, everyone wins in this scenario. Canucks get the return they want (cmon its Howson), Leafs/Flyers/Oilers/Hawks accept that Columbus deserves to win something. Luongo goes to a team with absolutely no pressure to perform, because even if he is horrible, the team in front of him should be even worse. Win, win, win.


Petyr Baelish is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
  #152
John Bender*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Agreed. It wasn't the reason. it was just the final straw. Of course they can't admit that publicly or they get fleeced by Gillis.
Gillis is not stupid though. It's pretty obvious with the timing and all that there is a very good chance there were issues with Burke wanting Luongo.

John Bender* is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
  #153
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Agreed. It wasn't the reason. it was just the final straw.


Not at all. You don't make a huge decision like that based off a ridiculous trade. Doing so puts an almost Gretzky-like aura around Roberto and that's unfair to him.

I don't believe Roberto is significant enough to anyone inside the Maple Leafs organization to warrant firing their GM over.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
  #154
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Not necessarily. Roberto doesn't guarantee a playoff spot and he also doesn't mean the Leafs will suddenly be a good team.
Nonis acquiring Luongo just seems to obvious now. Even in the press conference he would not squash the Luongo trade, just saying he cannot talk about. On top of that what is his job description? I think it is to improve the team after the previous GM got fired. Based on what Toronto needs and what they do not want to give up, sure looks like Luongo is the best option without giving up core pieces. Personally I don't think Gardiner is going, but Kulemin, Bozak are 2 roster players that could be likely. My prediction is:

Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond

And before you say Leafs do not need Raymond, Bob Mckenzie said on game on a couple of days ago that the Leafs would like to get him back in a trade with Luongo.

Numbers is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
  #155
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
And here's one, by a more reputable writer, that supports what I, and others, are suggesting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-burke-his-job

It makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever for Burke to be fired at this time unless there was something he did or said recently that would cause them to make this rash decision. That or they're a completely incompetent organization, which I guess is another explanation...
News moves quick in a world dominated by Twitter and the like. Lebrun's opinion piece was posted soon after the decision to let Burke go. Since then there has been a number of different reports leaking about Burke's very tumultuous relationship with his bosses as being the reason for his firing.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
  #156
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
my honest take is after saying no to schenn and no to grossman vancouver was unwilling to trade bobby lu for a 2nd rounder. philly has been prennially "in the hunt for goaltending" so theyre name came up but the reason theyre always there is they lowball the snot outta goaltender value

captainpaxil is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
  #157
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Nonis acquiring Luongo just seems to obvious now. Even in the press conference he would not squash the Luongo trade, just saying he cannot talk about. On top of that what is his job description? I think it is to improve the team after the previous GM got fired. Based on what Toronto needs and what they do not want to give up, sure looks like Luongo is the best option without giving up core pieces. Personally I don't think Gardiner is going, but Kulemin, Bozak are 2 roster players that could be likely. My prediction is:

Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond

And before you say Leafs do not need Raymond, Bob Mckenzie said on game on a couple of days ago that the Leafs would like to get him back in a trade with Luongo.
If I were simply predicting, I'd swap Kulemin for Frattin. Gillis avoids Russians like the plague, and is reported to have asked for Frattin before.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:20 PM
  #158
Seventeen Twos
Registered User
 
Seventeen Twos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Nonis acquiring Luongo just seems to obvious now. Even in the press conference he would not squash the Luongo trade, just saying he cannot talk about. On top of that what is his job description? I think it is to improve the team after the previous GM got fired. Based on what Toronto needs and what they do not want to give up, sure looks like Luongo is the best option without giving up core pieces. Personally I don't think Gardiner is going, but Kulemin, Bozak are 2 roster players that could be likely. My prediction is:

Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond

And before you say Leafs do not need Raymond, Bob Mckenzie said on game on a couple of days ago that the Leafs would like to get him back in a trade with Luongo.
Kulemin +1st /= Raymond. More like the other way around

Seventeen Twos is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:21 PM
  #159
luongo321
Registered User
 
luongo321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
my honest take is after saying no to schenn and no to grossman vancouver was unwilling to trade bobby lu for a 2nd rounder. philly has been prennially "in the hunt for goaltending" so theyre name came up but the reason theyre always there is they lowball the snot outta goaltender value
Lowball goaltender value? And that's why they gave Bryz that HUMONGOUS contract?

luongo321 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:22 PM
  #160
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond
That first has to be protected/conditional. Leafs make the playoffs it's a 1st, don't then it's a second. The rest of it I'm fine with.

Reliving the Kessel saga again would be disastrous for new ownership.

JackJ is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
  #161
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
That first has to be protected/conditional. Leafs make the playoffs it's a 1st, don't then it's a second. The rest of it I'm fine with.

Reliving the Kessel saga again would be disastrous for new ownership.
I'd be okay with that.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 PM
  #162
Petyr Baelish
Registered User
 
Petyr Baelish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Church of Laine
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Don't really believe it that much about the Luongo part.

Sure, he may have wanted Luongo, but he wanted Luongo for peanuts. Burke is the type of guy that would refuse to give the Canucks a decent deal just because he doesn't like MG.
Either you know Brian Burke personally or that might be the worst explanation that anyone could ever think of. I am sorry but I find it very hard to believe that Burke did not pull off the Luongo deal because "he doesn't like MG". Just sounds childish and not something a grown man would actually do.

Petyr Baelish is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  #163
Seventeen Twos
Registered User
 
Seventeen Twos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
I hope the leafs check right out of this one .. the price for Luo seems too high ATM and clearly they lost leverage with the events of the day. If it's a possibility to revisit at trade deadline or offseason then fine. If he goes somewhere else, that's OK too.

Seventeen Twos is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  #164
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Nonis acquiring Luongo just seems to obvious now. Even in the press conference he would not squash the Luongo trade, just saying he cannot talk about. On top of that what is his job description? I think it is to improve the team after the previous GM got fired. Based on what Toronto needs and what they do not want to give up, sure looks like Luongo is the best option without giving up core pieces. Personally I don't think Gardiner is going, but Kulemin, Bozak are 2 roster players that could be likely. My prediction is:

Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond

And before you say Leafs do not need Raymond, Bob Mckenzie said on game on a couple of days ago that the Leafs would like to get him back in a trade with Luongo.
Too many valuable forwards heading to the Canucks there for that to work for Toronto. On top of Kulemin, Bozak, and Kadri, they add a first round pick!?

Certainly not fair value.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  #165
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
News moves quick in a world dominated by Twitter and the like. Lebrun's opinion piece was posted soon after the decision to let Burke go. Since then there has been a number of different reports leaking about Burke's very tumultuous relationship with his bosses as being the reason for his firing.
Burke's relationship with his bosses was already known when Pierre wrote that piece, he even mentioned it and he said that's not what he feels was the only reason for his dismissal.

Unless Burke did something drastic like took a crap on the desk of one of the execs this morning, I don't buy for a second that the reason for his firing today was solely based on them butting heads over the way he handled himself. I also don't believe the reason for his firing was solely because of Luongo. But I do think they are connected. I think there's a very good chance that Burke did or said something recently, possibly to do with Luongo, that caused upper management to lose faith in him and pull the plug now. They didn't just wake up this morning and suddenly decide they better deal with Burke now before the season starts because he's a jerk.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  #166
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd be okay with that.
Replacing Kulemin for Franson/Reimer (if that helps the Canucks) wouldn't bother me either.

JackJ is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  #167
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post


Not at all. You don't make a huge decision like that based off a ridiculous trade. Doing so puts an almost Gretzky-like aura around Roberto and that's unfair to him.

I don't believe Roberto is significant enough to anyone inside the Maple Leafs organization to warrant firing their GM over.
When you have the worst or second worst goaltending in the league for a few years running you absolutely do fire a GM who is not willing to upgrade with a top goalie.
Of course, it's possible that they just all of a sudden woke up this morning and decided to fire him three days before training camp because they decided they didn't like his public persona. I mean we see GM's fired all of the time just 10 days before the season starts. And the moon landing really could I suppose have been some big hoax.

vanwest is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:28 PM
  #168
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Replacing Kulemin for Franson (if that helps the Canucks) wouldn't bother me either.
No need to do that, no worries.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
  #169
luongo321
Registered User
 
luongo321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12,184
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Either you know Brian Burke personally or that might be the worst explanation that anyone could ever think of. I am sorry but I find it very hard to believe that Burke did not pull off the Luongo deal because "he doesn't like MG". Just sounds childish and not something a grown man would actually do.
Meet brian burke. His ego is just too big. Too stubborn to feel like he's not getting one over on the Canucks. Probably still pissed off that MG didn't invite him. Don't even get met started with how much of a jackass he was about talking about the pieces the canucks would give up for the 2nd round pick that was Tampa's. Plenty of reasons for MG to hold out on burke too if he felt like Burke was trying to rip him off.

luongo321 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
  #170
Seventeen Twos
Registered User
 
Seventeen Twos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Either you know Brian Burke personally or that might be the worst explanation that anyone could ever think of. I am sorry but I find it very hard to believe that Burke did not pull off the Luongo deal because "he doesn't like MG". Just sounds childish and not something a grown man would actually do.
I agree.. I think the story goes more like he had a price in mind and was not willing to move even an inch more. When MG refused the price, BB walked away and reported this to the ownership and that's when the hammer fell. Pure speculation, but knowing BB's character seems like a likely scenario. And that's not meant to be negative critique at all.

Seventeen Twos is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
  #171
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Burke's relationship with his bosses was already known when Pierre wrote that piece, he even mentioned it and he said that's not the only reason for his dismissal.

Unless Burke did something drastic like took a crap on the desk of one of the execs this morning, I don't buy for a second that the reason for his firing today was solely based on them butting heads over the way he handled himself. I also don't believe the reason for his firing was because of Luongo. But I do think they are connected. I think there's a very good chance that Burke did or said something recently, possibly to do with Luongo, that caused upper management to lose faith in him and pull the plug now. They didn't just wake up this morning and suddenly decide they better deal with Burke now before the season starts because he's a jerk.
The most telling thing is the timing. I can never recall a GM being fired on the eve of the season. I think it's reasonable to assume that there were a lot of factors and something, probably Luongo but maybe a blowup, made the decision necessary in the minds of the owners. I've seen no other reason that is even remotely plausible at this point.

vanwest is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:31 PM
  #172
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
When you have the worst or second worst goaltending in the league for a few years running you absollutely do fire a GM who is not willing to upgrade with a top goalie.
Vancouver fans advocating for this kind of perspective on BB's dismissal must have some kind of agenda, no? Like, oh, I don't know, attempting to justify outrageous trade demands?

I'm not saying Nonis isn't going to cave to the pressure of shipping away top tier young talent for Roberto, but it doesn't mean it's the right deal. Roberto, in his current contractual circumstance, along with the new CBA landscape, is not worth a Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri, first round pick, etc.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  #173
Seventeen Twos
Registered User
 
Seventeen Twos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The most telling thing is the timing. I can never recall a GM being fired on the eve of the season. I think it's reasonable to assume that there were a lot of factors and something, probably Luongo but maybe a blowup, made the decision necessary in the minds of the owners. I've seen no other reason that is even remotely plausible at this point.
agree. I bet he got very hot defending his position of walking away from a potential deal.

Seventeen Twos is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  #174
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No need to do that, no worries.
From both perspectives, only spare parts are being moved.

JackJ is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  #175
1ntrovert*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413187

According to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post, hockey analyst and former NHL player Enrico Ciccone of TVA Sports, and confirmed by TSN's James Duthie on Twitter, the Philadelphia Flyers are interested in acquiring the services of the veteran goaltender.

Duthie tweeted that the Flyers have inquired about the Canucks goalie, and are in a position where they could buy out current netminder Ilya Bryzgalov in June.

Trade rumours surrounding Luongo have been front and centre with this week's announcement of a new CBA for the NHL and its players. The Toronto Maple Leafs and Florida Panthers have been the two teams tied most closely to potentially acquiring Luongo.

1ntrovert* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.