HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Perhaps, but Russel is pretty bad... Just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider.
Nah, Russel is good. Good positioning, excellent moving the puck both skating and passing, high hockey IQ the only knock is his size but its no like he scared of physical play. Hopefully the pair works out, i mean he is paired with Petro.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
OCTA8ON

vCash: 500
Quote:
Perhaps, but Russel is pretty bad... Just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider.
You clearly don't even watch the games. He was a perfect partner for Polak, and he skates faster than many forwards in the NHL. I consider the trade for Nikitin an absolute steal.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
You clearly don't even watch the games. He was a perfect partner for Polak, and he skates faster than many forwards in the NHL. I consider the trade for Nikitin an absolute steal.
CBJ thought it was a steal too. What a solid trade for both sides.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

How'd your new second line of McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko look out there? Pretty huge turn out sounds like. Good for you guys. Like to see STL mix it up in the Central a bit with Chicago and Detroit.

Should be a great division this year, lot of parity. Detroit will have to decide one of these days to rebuild or have a FA frenzy. Last of the old guard gone now (not that they don't still have their share of old guys) and the core of Z and Dats not getting any younger. Could get ugly in a hurry for them.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
I'm hoping their big guns consistently miss 20 games or so over the next 4 years...Just enough for them to be in the 6-14 range. Calgary 2.0

Old
01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are you thinking of the right Russell? He's not "pretty bad". He's good, just undersized to play defensive zone hockey against big forwards. Frankly, I think he was the Blues' best defender at playing within Hitchcock's system, and the quickest at puck transition into the offensive zone.

That said, I think he's a placeholder for Pietro's partner until Armstrong can orchestrate a trade.....which I doubt happens any time soon.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 AM
STL fan in IA

I'm fine with Russell as Petro's partner but I don't know if I'd call it ideal. I'd rather Russell paired with Polak and then someone else brought in to be Petro's partner but they should be just fine as is. I am concerned a bit by defensive depth though. Two D injuries and we have Woywitka and Chorney (or perhaps Fairchild) in the lineup. Yikes.

We'll just have to see how things go and go from there. Things look great on paper but you never know - perhaps the pairings as is don't develop chemistry or maybe there are key injuries...I trust Army to make moves as necessary though. He didn't win GM of the Year for nothing!

Old
01-14-2013, 02:58 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I'm fine with Russell as Petro's partner but I don't know if I'd call it ideal. I'd rather Russell paired with Polak and then someone else brought in to be Petro's partner but they should be just fine as is. I am concerned a bit by defensive depth though. Two D injuries and we have Woywitka and Chorney (or perhaps Fairchild) in the lineup. Yikes.

We'll just have to see how things go and go from there. Things look great on paper but you never know - perhaps the pairings as is don't develop chemistry or maybe there are key injuries...I trust Army to make moves as necessary though. He didn't win GM of the Year for nothing!
This.

The thought of Woywitka and Chorney in top 6 roles?

It's a good thing we have one of the top GMS in the Business in Armstrong.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:25 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I was never a fan of Woywitka, but I think some Blues fans will be pleasantly surprised by his simplified game these days. He can skate, can make calm plays, and blocks shots. In the absence of a big acquisition, I would love to see the Blues pick up a playoff-tested vet for their 7th d-man, but you can do a lot worse than Woywitka for that role.

Regarding the "two D injuries" scenario, what team can shrug that off? Everyone looks bad when you knock out a third of their defense.
Not including Cole, the Blues' top 5 is among the best in the league. If Cole doesn't elevate his game at all and only finds consistency, only a few teams' top 6 can compare. If he actually emerges as a guy who can comfortably carry #4 minutes, look the **** out.

Plus, as much as I love depth, look at the defense for the Cup champs in the past few years. LA: only six defensemen iced for the entire playoffs. Boston: three games played total by their seventh defenseman and he averaged just three minutes. Chicago: three games played by their seventh defenseman (Byfuglien played forward), averaging 8 minutes.
If you look even closer, these teams leaned very lightly on their sixth and sometimes fifth defenseman. The top four or five defensemen got massive minutes. I have very little concern that the Blues will make the playoffs. Once you're there, winning in the playoffs is about staying healthy and being able to put all of your weight on your top couple of pairs, sometimes a fifth guy depending on your special teams. Guys like Woywitka and Chorney cannot be in the conversation, not because they're bad, but because if the Blues are that beaten up, their chances of winning the Cup are cut down to a fraction regardless of the quality of their 7th, 8th, and 9th guys on the depth chart.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
rumrokh, we can only hope the Injuries are minimal. I know that's a lot to ask on a shortened sprint to the finnish lockout season, I remember the 1995 lockout shortend season : Lots of Groin pulls.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I was never a fan of Woywitka, but I think some Blues fans will be pleasantly surprised by his simplified game these days. He can skate, can make calm plays, and blocks shots. In the absence of a big acquisition, I would love to see the Blues pick up a playoff-tested vet for their 7th d-man, but you can do a lot worse than Woywitka for that role.

Regarding the "two D injuries" scenario, what team can shrug that off? Everyone looks bad when you knock out a third of their defense.
Not including Cole, the Blues' top 5 is among the best in the league. If Cole doesn't elevate his game at all and only finds consistency, only a few teams' top 6 can compare. If he actually emerges as a guy who can comfortably carry #4 minutes, look the **** out.

Plus, as much as I love depth, look at the defense for the Cup champs in the past few years. LA: only six defensemen iced for the entire playoffs. Boston: three games played total by their seventh defenseman and he averaged just three minutes. Chicago: three games played by their seventh defenseman (Byfuglien played forward), averaging 8 minutes.
If you look even closer, these teams leaned very lightly on their sixth and sometimes fifth defenseman. The top four or five defensemen got massive minutes. I have very little concern that the Blues will make the playoffs. Once you're there, winning in the playoffs is about staying healthy and being able to put all of your weight on your top couple of pairs, sometimes a fifth guy depending on your special teams. Guys like Woywitka and Chorney cannot be in the conversation, not because they're bad, but because if the Blues are that beaten up, their chances of winning the Cup are cut down to a fraction regardless of the quality of their 7th, 8th, and 9th guys on the depth chart.
Totally agree. Woywitka has matured and as a 7th guy, I really liked this move. He can push Cole for minutes, if he falters and we won't lose a beat. We have a very solid defense. Don't give the goalies all the credit.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
stlweir

In Hitchcocks system you need D men that can skate and get the puck quickly out of your zone. Woywitka can skate.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
STL fan in IA

I’m fine with Woywitka as the 7th but I’m not a big fan of Chorney (lots of defensive lapses & positioning mistakes) and unfortunately, Fairchild is having a pretty bad sophomore slump this season. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Blues D should more or less be fine but they just don’t have the margin for error on D like they do at forward. At forward, they have 15 quality forwards for 12 spots…and that’s still not counting guys like Cracknell, Murray, Grachev, Andronov (who’s played WAY better in Peoria than I expected), Peluso, Hensick, McRae, etc. On D, it’s Chorney, Fairchild, Cundari, Ford…and then guys like Regner, Ponich (who’s been absolutely disappointing and has spent more time in the ECHL than AHL this season) and Shields who likely aren’t even options. It would be ok to use a couple of those guys in a pinch but I was just pointing out that the Blues are much deeper at forward than D so if Army is able to swing it, I’d be fine swapping a F for an equally skilled D to add a bit more D depth.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Wiems35

Is there any video of the Q&A?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Tarasenko on the first PP unit today.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Didn't feel thread worthy so I just drop this here.

I asked Panger on twitter when the FSMW Blues TV schedule would be released. He replied back saying all games not broadcasted on national TV would be picked up by FSMW.

https://twitter.com/Panger40/status/290892869911343104

Old
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Tarasenko on the first PP unit today.
But I thought Hitch hated young players? Especially young Russians

Old
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Didn't feel thread worthy so I just drop this here.

I asked Panger on twitter when the FSMW Blues TV schedule would be released. He replied back saying all games not broadcasted on national TV would be picked up by FSMW.

https://twitter.com/Panger40/status/290892869911343104
In the Q&A yesterday Bernie said all games will be on TV in STL

Old
01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
For Sunday, the "white" squad was indeed 10-20-91 and they looked good to.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
STL fan in IA

According to JR, PP units today were as follows:

Tarasenko-Stewart-McDonald
Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

JR listed them in that order but I'd consider the 2nd unit listed to be the top PP unit (insert PP unit joke here). Sounds like Vladi will get plenty of time on the PP though...although it'll all depend on how each guy performs. I'm just glad that the Blues have a ton of quality options. I also like the idea of having 3 PP units. The 3rd one will get used rarely but with players being at various fitness levels, it's going to be good to have a 3rd unit if needed. Players on that 3rd unit can also then be thrown onto one of the other 2 units mid-game for whatever reason as well (say someone on one of the top two units is either injured, in the penalty box, needs 30 seconds to catch his breath since he just came off the ice, etc.).

Old
01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:

Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

JR listed them in that order but I'd consider the 2nd unit listed to be the top PP unit (insert PP unit joke here). Sounds like Vladi will get plenty of time on the PP though...although it'll all depend on how each guy performs. I'm just glad that the Blues have a ton of quality options. I also like the idea of having 3 PP units. The 3rd one will get used rarely but with players being at various fitness levels, it's going to be good to have a 3rd unit if needed. Players on that 3rd unit can also then be thrown onto one of the other 2 units mid-game for whatever reason as well (say someone on one of the top two units is either injured, in the penalty box, needs 30 seconds to catch his breath since he just came off the ice, etc.).
I do like those top 2 groups though, each has a shooter, a big guy and a playmaker at forward. Steen and Oshie are both good choices for forwards playing on the point too.

If Schwartz isnt going to be getting PP time, I dont see him making the team out of camp.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
JR just tweeted "Hitch on where Schwartz stands: 'The way he practiced today, right at the top of the heap.'" Schwartz has no problem pushing somebody to the pressbox apparently! I think that's great. Even if he doesn't make the squad out of camp, he's hungry. Love it.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

I'm scratching my head a little at those powerplay units. You have two centers in Backes and Berglund on one and none on the other. Think I would like to see Backes and Stewart switch on those units.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
BlueDream

Dave Eminian says McRae, Murray, Grachev, Fairchild, Cundari are coming up to camp.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it but could the Blues be wanting to get a look at other forwards if Porter goes on waivers?

Edit: never mind. Think it's just to have more players for the scrimmage.

Last edited by BlueDream: 01-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:

Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

Would rather see McDonald on the point Stewart on RW and Steen centering. I have no clue why you would ever want Stewart centering.

Closed Thread