HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
  #151
ExJbeck
Registered User
 
ExJbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Perhaps, but Russel is pretty bad... Just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider.
Nah, Russel is good. Good positioning, excellent moving the puck both skating and passing, high hockey IQ the only knock is his size but its no like he scared of physical play. Hopefully the pair works out, i mean he is paired with Petro.

ExJbeck is online now  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
  #152
OCTA8ON
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Perhaps, but Russel is pretty bad... Just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider.
You clearly don't even watch the games. He was a perfect partner for Polak, and he skates faster than many forwards in the NHL. I consider the trade for Nikitin an absolute steal.

OCTA8ON is online now  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
  #153
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
You clearly don't even watch the games. He was a perfect partner for Polak, and he skates faster than many forwards in the NHL. I consider the trade for Nikitin an absolute steal.
CBJ thought it was a steal too. What a solid trade for both sides.

ManyIdeas is online now  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
  #154
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Mod Powers
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 24,529
vCash: 500
How'd your new second line of McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko look out there? Pretty huge turn out sounds like. Good for you guys. Like to see STL mix it up in the Central a bit with Chicago and Detroit.

Should be a great division this year, lot of parity. Detroit will have to decide one of these days to rebuild or have a FA frenzy. Last of the old guard gone now (not that they don't still have their share of old guys) and the core of Z and Dats not getting any younger. Could get ugly in a hurry for them.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
  #155
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 2370
I'm hoping their big guns consistently miss 20 games or so over the next 4 years...Just enough for them to be in the 6-14 range. Calgary 2.0

CarvinSigX is online now  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
  #156
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Perhaps, but Russel is pretty bad... Just doesn't make sense to me as an outsider.
Are you thinking of the right Russell? He's not "pretty bad". He's good, just undersized to play defensive zone hockey against big forwards. Frankly, I think he was the Blues' best defender at playing within Hitchcock's system, and the quickest at puck transition into the offensive zone.

That said, I think he's a placeholder for Pietro's partner until Armstrong can orchestrate a trade.....which I doubt happens any time soon.

2 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 AM
  #157
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
I'm fine with Russell as Petro's partner but I don't know if I'd call it ideal. I'd rather Russell paired with Polak and then someone else brought in to be Petro's partner but they should be just fine as is. I am concerned a bit by defensive depth though. Two D injuries and we have Woywitka and Chorney (or perhaps Fairchild) in the lineup. Yikes.

We'll just have to see how things go and go from there. Things look great on paper but you never know - perhaps the pairings as is don't develop chemistry or maybe there are key injuries...I trust Army to make moves as necessary though. He didn't win GM of the Year for nothing!

STL fan in IA is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:58 AM
  #158
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!
 
BleedinBlueSince1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I'm fine with Russell as Petro's partner but I don't know if I'd call it ideal. I'd rather Russell paired with Polak and then someone else brought in to be Petro's partner but they should be just fine as is. I am concerned a bit by defensive depth though. Two D injuries and we have Woywitka and Chorney (or perhaps Fairchild) in the lineup. Yikes.

We'll just have to see how things go and go from there. Things look great on paper but you never know - perhaps the pairings as is don't develop chemistry or maybe there are key injuries...I trust Army to make moves as necessary though. He didn't win GM of the Year for nothing!
This.

The thought of Woywitka and Chorney in top 6 roles?

It's a good thing we have one of the top GMS in the Business in Armstrong.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:25 AM
  #159
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 500
I was never a fan of Woywitka, but I think some Blues fans will be pleasantly surprised by his simplified game these days. He can skate, can make calm plays, and blocks shots. In the absence of a big acquisition, I would love to see the Blues pick up a playoff-tested vet for their 7th d-man, but you can do a lot worse than Woywitka for that role.

Regarding the "two D injuries" scenario, what team can shrug that off? Everyone looks bad when you knock out a third of their defense.
Not including Cole, the Blues' top 5 is among the best in the league. If Cole doesn't elevate his game at all and only finds consistency, only a few teams' top 6 can compare. If he actually emerges as a guy who can comfortably carry #4 minutes, look the **** out.

Plus, as much as I love depth, look at the defense for the Cup champs in the past few years. LA: only six defensemen iced for the entire playoffs. Boston: three games played total by their seventh defenseman and he averaged just three minutes. Chicago: three games played by their seventh defenseman (Byfuglien played forward), averaging 8 minutes.
If you look even closer, these teams leaned very lightly on their sixth and sometimes fifth defenseman. The top four or five defensemen got massive minutes. I have very little concern that the Blues will make the playoffs. Once you're there, winning in the playoffs is about staying healthy and being able to put all of your weight on your top couple of pairs, sometimes a fifth guy depending on your special teams. Guys like Woywitka and Chorney cannot be in the conversation, not because they're bad, but because if the Blues are that beaten up, their chances of winning the Cup are cut down to a fraction regardless of the quality of their 7th, 8th, and 9th guys on the depth chart.

rumrokh is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
  #160
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!
 
BleedinBlueSince1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 1010
rumrokh, we can only hope the Injuries are minimal. I know that's a lot to ask on a shortened sprint to the finnish lockout season, I remember the 1995 lockout shortend season : Lots of Groin pulls.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
  #161
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I was never a fan of Woywitka, but I think some Blues fans will be pleasantly surprised by his simplified game these days. He can skate, can make calm plays, and blocks shots. In the absence of a big acquisition, I would love to see the Blues pick up a playoff-tested vet for their 7th d-man, but you can do a lot worse than Woywitka for that role.

Regarding the "two D injuries" scenario, what team can shrug that off? Everyone looks bad when you knock out a third of their defense.
Not including Cole, the Blues' top 5 is among the best in the league. If Cole doesn't elevate his game at all and only finds consistency, only a few teams' top 6 can compare. If he actually emerges as a guy who can comfortably carry #4 minutes, look the **** out.

Plus, as much as I love depth, look at the defense for the Cup champs in the past few years. LA: only six defensemen iced for the entire playoffs. Boston: three games played total by their seventh defenseman and he averaged just three minutes. Chicago: three games played by their seventh defenseman (Byfuglien played forward), averaging 8 minutes.
If you look even closer, these teams leaned very lightly on their sixth and sometimes fifth defenseman. The top four or five defensemen got massive minutes. I have very little concern that the Blues will make the playoffs. Once you're there, winning in the playoffs is about staying healthy and being able to put all of your weight on your top couple of pairs, sometimes a fifth guy depending on your special teams. Guys like Woywitka and Chorney cannot be in the conversation, not because they're bad, but because if the Blues are that beaten up, their chances of winning the Cup are cut down to a fraction regardless of the quality of their 7th, 8th, and 9th guys on the depth chart.
Totally agree. Woywitka has matured and as a 7th guy, I really liked this move. He can push Cole for minutes, if he falters and we won't lose a beat. We have a very solid defense. Don't give the goalies all the credit.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
  #162
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
In Hitchcocks system you need D men that can skate and get the puck quickly out of your zone. Woywitka can skate.

stlweir is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  #163
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
I’m fine with Woywitka as the 7th but I’m not a big fan of Chorney (lots of defensive lapses & positioning mistakes) and unfortunately, Fairchild is having a pretty bad sophomore slump this season. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Blues D should more or less be fine but they just don’t have the margin for error on D like they do at forward. At forward, they have 15 quality forwards for 12 spots…and that’s still not counting guys like Cracknell, Murray, Grachev, Andronov (who’s played WAY better in Peoria than I expected), Peluso, Hensick, McRae, etc. On D, it’s Chorney, Fairchild, Cundari, Ford…and then guys like Regner, Ponich (who’s been absolutely disappointing and has spent more time in the ECHL than AHL this season) and Shields who likely aren’t even options. It would be ok to use a couple of those guys in a pinch but I was just pointing out that the Blues are much deeper at forward than D so if Army is able to swing it, I’d be fine swapping a F for an equally skilled D to add a bit more D depth.

STL fan in IA is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
  #164
Wiems35
Registered User
 
Wiems35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 50
Is there any video of the Q&A?

Wiems35 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
  #165
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,514
vCash: 500
Tarasenko on the first PP unit today.

Use the Schwartz* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
  #166
Blanick
Winter is coming
 
Blanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 50
Didn't feel thread worthy so I just drop this here.

I asked Panger on twitter when the FSMW Blues TV schedule would be released. He replied back saying all games not broadcasted on national TV would be picked up by FSMW.

https://twitter.com/Panger40/status/290892869911343104

Blanick is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  #167
The Note
Expectations: Low
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Tarasenko on the first PP unit today.
But I thought Hitch hated young players? Especially young Russians

The Note is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
  #168
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Didn't feel thread worthy so I just drop this here.

I asked Panger on twitter when the FSMW Blues TV schedule would be released. He replied back saying all games not broadcasted on national TV would be picked up by FSMW.

https://twitter.com/Panger40/status/290892869911343104
In the Q&A yesterday Bernie said all games will be on TV in STL

sh724 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
  #169
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy
 
BDEuph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
For Sunday, the "white" squad was indeed 10-20-91 and they looked good to.

BDEuph is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  #170
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
According to JR, PP units today were as follows:

Tarasenko-Stewart-McDonald
Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

JR listed them in that order but I'd consider the 2nd unit listed to be the top PP unit (insert PP unit joke here). Sounds like Vladi will get plenty of time on the PP though...although it'll all depend on how each guy performs. I'm just glad that the Blues have a ton of quality options. I also like the idea of having 3 PP units. The 3rd one will get used rarely but with players being at various fitness levels, it's going to be good to have a 3rd unit if needed. Players on that 3rd unit can also then be thrown onto one of the other 2 units mid-game for whatever reason as well (say someone on one of the top two units is either injured, in the penalty box, needs 30 seconds to catch his breath since he just came off the ice, etc.).

STL fan in IA is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
  #171
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
According to JR, PP units today were as follows:

Tarasenko-Stewart-McDonald
Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

JR listed them in that order but I'd consider the 2nd unit listed to be the top PP unit (insert PP unit joke here). Sounds like Vladi will get plenty of time on the PP though...although it'll all depend on how each guy performs. I'm just glad that the Blues have a ton of quality options. I also like the idea of having 3 PP units. The 3rd one will get used rarely but with players being at various fitness levels, it's going to be good to have a 3rd unit if needed. Players on that 3rd unit can also then be thrown onto one of the other 2 units mid-game for whatever reason as well (say someone on one of the top two units is either injured, in the penalty box, needs 30 seconds to catch his breath since he just came off the ice, etc.).
I do like those top 2 groups though, each has a shooter, a big guy and a playmaker at forward. Steen and Oshie are both good choices for forwards playing on the point too.

If Schwartz isnt going to be getting PP time, I dont see him making the team out of camp.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
  #172
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,897
vCash: 1598
JR just tweeted "Hitch on where Schwartz stands: 'The way he practiced today, right at the top of the heap.'" Schwartz has no problem pushing somebody to the pressbox apparently! I think that's great. Even if he doesn't make the squad out of camp, he's hungry. Love it.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
  #173
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,644
vCash: 50
I'm scratching my head a little at those powerplay units. You have two centers in Backes and Berglund on one and none on the other. Think I would like to see Backes and Stewart switch on those units.

Falco Lombardi is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
  #174
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 500
Dave Eminian says McRae, Murray, Grachev, Fairchild, Cundari are coming up to camp.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it but could the Blues be wanting to get a look at other forwards if Porter goes on waivers?

Edit: never mind. Think it's just to have more players for the scrimmage.


Last edited by BlueDream: 01-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
BlueDream is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  #175
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
According to JR, PP units today were as follows:

Tarasenko-Stewart-McDonald
Shatty-Steen

Perron-Backes-Bergy
Petro-Oshie

Schwartz-D'ags-Sobotka
Russell-Cole

JR listed them in that order but I'd consider the 2nd unit listed to be the top PP unit (insert PP unit joke here). Sounds like Vladi will get plenty of time on the PP though...although it'll all depend on how each guy performs. I'm just glad that the Blues have a ton of quality options. I also like the idea of having 3 PP units. The 3rd one will get used rarely but with players being at various fitness levels, it's going to be good to have a 3rd unit if needed. Players on that 3rd unit can also then be thrown onto one of the other 2 units mid-game for whatever reason as well (say someone on one of the top two units is either injured, in the penalty box, needs 30 seconds to catch his breath since he just came off the ice, etc.).

Would rather see McDonald on the point Stewart on RW and Steen centering. I have no clue why you would ever want Stewart centering.

Bluesman91 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.