HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why did Burke get fired?

View Poll Results: What's your #1 reason for Burke being fired?
Poor performance. 65 21.59%
Ticked someone off in the board room. (self imposed morals, deadlines, contracts, troops on july 1,) 199 66.11%
Screwing up something to do with Luongo. (getting him/not getting him) 20 6.64%
Burke requested it to pursue his dream job, managing the Boston Bruins. 17 5.65%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
CBC Sports: Brian Burke clashed with new MLSE board members

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...lse-board.html

Quote:
He never did live up to that promise. He never did add or subtract from his roster to build a team along the lines of that initial blueprint.

But did Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's new ownership group and the new configuration of its board of directors need seven months to figure that out?

No, they did not. But what they did glean since last August, when telecommunication giants Bell and Rogers officially closed on its $107-billion US deal to purchase 75 per cent of the team, was that Burke and some of the members of the new board did not see eye-to-eye. The veteran hockey man did not react kindly to the hockey-team related free advice he was receiving from new board members.

After several of these get-togethers between Burke and the MLSE board, the latter finally decided it was time to part ways with its bombastic hockey GM.
Quote:
The official word from Anselmi was the new ownership group wanted new leadership. But again, the new set of directors didn't need seven months to determine they wanted new leadership. They simply learned over this time they needed somebody willing to work with them.

It was not, as some speculated, a difference in opinion in whether the Maple Leafs should make a serious pitch for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo.

Burke wanted Luongo

Burke wanted to make a trade for Luongo. He was upset that it had been rumoured during the lockout that a trade between the Leafs and the Vancouver Canucks already had been worked out. Whether or not he could have satisfied what Canucks GM Mike Gillis wanted in return remained to be seen.

Burke's dismissal also didn't have anything to do with his remark: "I don't want to sneak into the playoffs in eighth place and then get smoked in the first round." Of course, the eighth-seeded Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Oh these articles always take a last jab. Yes the LA Kings were an 8th seed but they had a #1C, #1D and an elite goalie. It was because of Murray's incompetence that the team was an 8th seed.

---

I'm glad to know that he wasn't fired because of not wanting to give up a lot for Luongo. Hopefully, Nonis is not dumb enough to trade Gardiner and Kadri for a 34 year old goalie.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Burke had too many high profile arguments. His downfall began when he decided to take on Grapes.

Don Cherry was voted the 7th greatest Canadian of all time as voted by Canadians. Burke was never going to win his fight with Grapes. People turned on Burke after attacking Grapes. Kessel trade was bad, but a trade for Luongo has the potential to be an utter disaster. Sad to hear that MLSE has decided to meddle in hockey ops.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Love the last line. Kings were my pick to win the cup at the start of the year (I said LA vs Rangers). They just severely underachieved

Old
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

So it really was ****ing MLSE. It's ALWAYS MLSE.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Burke's dismissal also didn't have anything to do with his remark: "I don't want to sneak into the playoffs in eighth place and then get smoked in the first round." Of course, the eighth-seeded Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup.
I should hope so. Hopefully no one is mistaking the Kings as an actual 8th seed team.

They started the season heavy favourites but they struggled and couldn't figure it out. They had to bring in a few changes and a new coach, but that was a STACKED team going into the first round, and after they made such quick work of the Canucks, it was obvious who was going to win the SC.

Everyone expected Vancouver to beat LA, but outside of Vancouver there wasn't anyone capable of stopping them.

Burke's comment is so often taken out of context, too.

This quote above is meant to be understood as "I will not trade prospects and picks to get short-term help for the sole purpose of getting into the playoffs, just to make the playoffs."

Burke wanted a complete team capable of not just competing in the playoffs, but sustaining itself with a stocked cupboard of prospects and picks.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher Jackson View Post
Burke had too many high profile arguments. His downfall began when he decided to take on Grapes.

Don Cherry was voted the 7th greatest Canadian of all time as voted by Canadians. Burke was never going to win his fight with Grapes. People turned on Burke after attacking Grapes. Kessel trade was bad, but a trade for Luongo has the potential to be an utter disaster. Sad to hear that MLSE has decided to meddle in hockey ops.
Kessel trade was and is a clear disaster. Just horrific. It pretty much destroyed Burke. He never recovered from it. Some of us thought this was what would happen the day that he made that trade. Luongo couldn't be nearly as bad, as long as you believe that the Leafs won't deal multiple firsts for him. Even if the Leafs move Gardiner for Luongo, the impact won't be nearly as hard on the franchise as the Kessel firsts and the second.

That said, I'm not as high on Gardiner as a lot of people here. I like the guy, but don't see him as some incredible untouchable. Felt the same way about Schenn. Leafs have had way too many players of late that the fans fall in crazy love with. Steen, Schenn, now Gardiner and Kadri. Crazy when you consider how horrible the end result is on the ice.

Everybody's available. And they should be. The Leafs need massive changes.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher Jackson View Post

Don Cherry is extremely ignorant. Many of the arguments he picked with Burke were not accurate (number of Toronto-born players on Leafs/drafted by Leafs; or bias against Canadian-born players). What few points Cherry made that were actually fact-based were irrelevant given actual context.
Don Cherry cherry-picked his arguments based on bad results from the Leafs. Any moron can find examples of failure on a team that failed, but Cherry went a step further and collected the "evidence" based on his own personal agenda (and the agenda is based on playing up to his viewers' expectations).
If a GM took what Cherry says seriously, the team would bottom-out faster than a clown-car off-roading through the Rockies.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
Kessel trade was and is a clear disaster. Just horrific. It pretty much destroyed Burke. He never recovered from it. Some of us thought this was what would happen the day that he made that trade. Luongo couldn't be nearly as bad, as long as you believe that the Leafs won't deal multiple firsts for him. Even if the Leafs move Gardiner for Luongo, the impact won't be nearly as hard on the franchise as the Kessel firsts and the second.

That said, I'm not as high on Gardiner as a lot of people here. I like the guy, but don't see him as some incredible untouchable. Felt the same way about Schenn. Leafs have had way too many players of late that the fans fall in crazy love with. Steen, Schenn, now Gardiner and Kadri. Crazy when you consider how horrible the end result is on the ice.

Should always be the case, but when you read the trade proposals from people like yourself who "aren't that high" on Gardiner, or Kadri, or Schenn or whomever, then the Leafs are constantly getting hosed in each proposal.

Every single Burke hater would've been happy trading Beauchemin for a 2nd round pick, instead of getting Lupul + Gardiner. They would've just waived Lebda, instead of trying a trade that brought in Franson and Lombardi.

You're absolutely right that no player should be untouchable, but if you don't try and extract maximum value from every transaction, then you're decreasing the value of your club ten-fold.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Bigleaf

The veteran hockey man did not react kindly to the hockey-team related free advice he was receiving from new board members.

I hope and pray this is not true. Just what we need. A bunch of corporate wannabe NHL GM's trying to influence the real GM. I might start cheering for another team after my 47 years on this earth. This organization is the laughing stock of the NHL.

Last edited by Bigleaf: 01-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
lol of course MLSE has to put their ****ing nose in hockey operations.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

L.A is not your typical 8th seed. Toronto cannot win a cup finishing 8th in the conference.

What a stupid argument. The kings were seen as a major cup contender and just underachieved. The playoff team was the real Kings.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Never in any Sport that i know has a team done well when board members with no knowledge force changes on a teams players

here comes 5-10 more years of meddling

Old
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
lol of course MLSE has to put their ****ing nose in hockey operations.
This is a bad day for this franchise, and a bad omen for what the future holds.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
The veteran hockey man did not react kindly to the hockey-team related free advice he was receiving from new board members.
Awesome.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
RogerRoeper*

Even if you hated Burke and wanted him gone, this is not good news.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Hawaiinleaf

expect FA signings of players past there primes and your talent being dealt for older players

Owners with zero patience and no knowledge here we go again

Old
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post

anybody in any bussiness would get fired for extending a coach and firing him 3 months later ......collateral damage happens on a corporate takeover ..but medoocrity can be replaced anytime .......rogers /bell want a superstar ...a poster boy ,nonis is a puppet ,the new gm will come soon .....

Old
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
RtooDtu

****. That is exactly what I didn't want to hear. If this turns out to be true this is by far the worst news any Leaf fan can hear.

This is going to be brutal. If Luongo allows the trade between Leafs and Vancouver we going to overpay...big time.

Old
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Awesome.
I respect Burke for giving them the finger. It's just too bad those corporate tryhards are too blinded by their money to realize they just made the stupidest move they could have done.

Old
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigleaf View Post

I hope and pray this is not true. Just what we need. A bunch of corporate wannabe NHL GM's trying to influence the real GM. I might start cheering for another team after my 47 years on this earth. This organization is the laughing stock of the NHL.
In other words, if CBC is right, we are back to square one. YAY US!!

When does that second hockey team come this way?

Old
01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
jimmycarter

flyers look pretty good this season....just sayin.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I hated these elitist pigs buying the team (wasn't thrilled with MLSE either though) and today, I feel a deep worry in the pit of my stomach. This group will ruin the franchise further. And who would possibly buy out this comm-empire??

Old
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
flyers look pretty good this season....just sayin.
They do have Schenner.... hmmmm

Old
01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Awesome.
Yup.

Back to Ownership 101, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I hated these elitist pigs buying the team (wasn't thrilled with MLSE either though) and today, I feel a deep worry in the pit of my stomach. This group will ruin the franchise further. And who would possibly buy out this comm-empire??
Alex Shnaider?

Closed Thread