HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 13 Dynasty Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
n00bxQb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertzedyek View Post
Update on my Washington Capitals Be A GM:

As nothing seems to turn this team around, as I sail in the waters of mediocrity, I have no interest to be updating here. I'm on my 8th year now and if I were to post here, you guys would just get bored, it's just so frustrating. If I start winning, I might post a few times about the Caps. Most likely won't. I might just start a new team after this and see how it goes.
I enjoy reading about struggles just as much as I enjoy reading about successes. If anything, I find the struggling franchises are more interesting to read about, especially when they go on to do something great.

I enjoy that storyline far more than, "I made a bunch of trades for a bunch of elite players and I've won the cup 7 years in a row." Not that there's anything wrong with playing the game that way, but as a reader, I don't feel any emotional connections to those teams. There's no antagonist, there's no epic quest filled with pain and suffering, there's no climactic ending where the protagonist finally overcomes his struggles to achieve his goal, etc.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Snipes10

Started a gm the leafs and i have updated roster # 8, but i notice that Connor brown and Ryan Rupert are both 2.5 or 3.5 green stars, they are unsigned so i was wondering if i should sign them up and wait it out for them to devlop or just trade since they have somewhat value or let them walk? Also which of the 3 goalies turn out to be the best in a few yrs? Scrivens, Rynnas or Owuya? Thankss

Old
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
I enjoy reading about struggles just as much as I enjoy reading about successes. If anything, I find the struggling franchises are more interesting to read about, especially when they go on to do something great.

I enjoy that storyline far more than, "I made a bunch of trades for a bunch of elite players and I've won the cup 7 years in a row." Not that there's anything wrong with playing the game that way, but as a reader, I don't feel any emotional connections to those teams. There's no antagonist, there's no epic quest filled with pain and suffering, there's no climactic ending where the protagonist finally overcomes his struggles to achieve his goal, etc.
On that note, my Devils had their second straight 121 point season. 59-20-3. But, towards the end of the season, they suffered season ending injuries to Kristopher Berglund, Mark Fayne, Harri Pesonen, and Carl Hagelin.

They play the Florida Panthers in the 1st round and barely survived Game 1, 3-2 in OT. So their reign of terror might finally be over.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
guyincognito

And the odd thing about this run, which is 3 Cups in a row, 4 EC Championships in a row, is that the roster isn't *that* great. Alright, after last year's Brian Campbell deadline trade, it was stacked, but I don't overload the 3rd line like some people would.

Healthy roster: (Of course in NHL 13, healthy roster probably plays 10 times a season)

Kovalchuk 90 - Zajac 85 - Henrique 84
Kessel 90 - Burmistrov 82 - Hagelin 83
Grigorenko 74 - Josefson 80 - Pesonen 77
Prust 76 - Westin 77 - Carcillo 75
Sislo 75 - Cormier 75

Larsson 86 - Marcinin 86
Fayne 80 - Berglund 81
Sim * 78 - Urbom 79
Burlon 75

S. Mason 86
Raanta 80

* is generated.

I brought in Burmistrov in the offseason because the Jets kept bothering me about taking
Hainsey. I countered with 2 prospects for Burmistrov and they said yes. Biggest mistake was letting Shawn Matthias go for a defensive prospect afterwards. Had a plague of injuries this season and really could have used him, even if he was backsliding in progression.

Tedenby finally bombed out and was traded for a 3rd round pick. Albany won the Calder Cup last season but is in serious flux this year. Will make the playoffs but the roster is a mess and the Devils injury plague isn't helping.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:

That is so true. I remember in NHL 12, my team had lost 4 series in a row to the Sharks (as a Sens fan that hits a little too close to home ), but eventually overcame adversity to win the Stanley Cup (it helped that the Sharks stopped making the playoffs).

Old
02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

To cope with the pain of seeing Karlsson go down with a vicious injury this evening, I have decided to start an Ottawa Senators GM in addition to my expansion Halifax Rebels GM.

Hopefully it dulls the pain...

Old
02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

"The Stache" is Cautiously Optimistic about 2013

No, that's not Paul McLean...

But you better respect the moustache anyway.

As the pre-season draws to a close, Ottawa Senators head coach is hopeful for a repeat of 2012, but cognizant of what that will take. "If we stay healthy, the sky is the limit again," said McLean. "But that's going to take even more work than we put out last year, because now we know we won't be slipping under anybody's radar."

While the Senators head into the regular season with a list of usual suspects including Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Karlsson, Milan Michalek, Craig Anderson, and Jason Spezza, a number of other teams were active at the deadline. The Buffalo Sabres acquired Shane Doan and another player from the Phoenix Coyotes for a 1st round pick and 2 prospects, Tim Connolly has a new home in Pittsburgh, and Colin White will be playing in Carolina.

Ladies and gentlemen, hockey is back... is the sky really the limit for these Ottawa Senators?

---

**Note: While I was tempted to edit Anderson before the season began, he sits at an 82 overall. Might be in the market for a goalie.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
mighty mason

FINALLY !!!! I play every game and I have just won the cup with Toronto was very fun now time for the offseason

Old
02-13-2013, 10:53 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc494 View Post
Is it possible to trade for players if they aren't on the block? I reallllly want Kane and he never made it to UFA status.
It is possible to trade for any player regardless of whether they are Red, Green, or White names. The only thing you have to remember when dealing with white names is that the computer "doesn't want to give them up.".

If you try to trade for a white named player and succeed it generally drops other General Manager's opinion of you. (or at least the GM Tracker claims it does and even though your reputation goes up...) It also seems to take significantly more to get them to give up a white named player regardless of what you offer up if that is the only thing you ask for. This situation can be avoided if you counter balance any white named player with red assets that match or exceed their value.

Through various trades I have found that the computer is willing to give up white named assets without you over paying as long as they are counter balanced with red assets. Of course the main problem with making those types of trades is the fact that they need to have other assets that you actually want, and you need a lot of assets to give up in exchange.

On a different topic: Has anyone actually proven that changing "strategies" actually affects how your team plays during a simulated game? Just two examples that seem to confuse me during the year. First I could have the best defensive team in the game with their tendency to block shots set at full and they will still allow three goals on like 12 shots. Second In the playoffs most years it seems like no matter what you do your forwards will hit goal scoring droughts and every goaltender will play like an all-star.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 02-13-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Senators' Season Starts with Double Disaster

Erik Condra would score 2 goals, including the Sens' first of the season... but would it be enough?

Within 10 minutes of the first period of the first game against the Montreal Canadiens, all Paul McLean could do was throw up his moustache in sheer disbelief.

True, the Senators were leading 1-0 by that point after a beautiful 2 on 1 rush where Kyle Turris found Erik Condra just in time to slip the puck between Carey Price's legs. True still, the Sens were being outshot and outhit at that point, and McLean should have been pleasantly surprised with the lead. Truer still though, the Senators lost their top 2 scorers from last season.

Spezza was the first to go down, crumpling to the ice after a seemingly innocent hit from Erik Cole

Just 5 minutes into the game, Jason Spezza took a hit square onto the chest from Erik Cole, and immediately crumpled to the ice to the point that the referees had to blow the play dead. Spezza wouldn't return for the rest of the game, and McLean announced in the post-game press conference that he'd be out for roughly 3 weeks with a pulled groin. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of McLean's post-mortem. Just two minutes later, Erik Karlsson was the victim of a vicious hit along the boards by Max Pacioretty, and had to be helped off the ice, unable to put any weight on his right ankle. The post-game diagnosis? Also out 3 weeks with a sprained ankle.

And then Karlsson... what will the next 3 weeks look like for the Ottawa Senators?

The wheels almost fell off the bus at that point. Daniel Alfreddson took an unsportsmanlike penalty after taking a run at Cole, only to watch Cole bury a goal on the ensuing power play. Early in the second, Jacob Silfverberg took a similarly dumb penalty when he drove Cole head-first into the boards from at least 5 feet out, drawing a boarding call that would lead to the Habs' second power-play goal and a 2-1 lead heading into the 3rd. In that 3rd period, Condra would score his second of the night on a beautiful rush up the side boards to tie it with 10 minutes to go.

Cue the dramatics.

In the final minute of the 3rd period, Kyle Turris made a drive up the side boards, only to be met in the Montreal zone by a sea of blue. He took the hit, and the puck casually slid back towards the point with no one around. Chris Phillips' eyes lit up as he raced up to be part of the play, and with no one around, he cocked back and blasted the game winning slap-shot by Carey Price with just 11 seconds to go in the game.

Phillips steals the win for Ottawa

The Senators escaped Montreal with a win, and will head back home to face the Washington Capitals in their home opener. The question is... at what cost?

---

NOTE: For games I play, I'll be able to do bigger write-ups like this. For those I simulate, the synopsis will have to be briefer.

Last edited by Vikes88: 02-13-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 12:36 AM
n00bxQb

BLUE JACKETS LOSE GAME, SAVARD
February 8, 2016

It was a tough night for the Blue Jackets last night, who were hoping to put a stop to their mini-skid after a 4-3 loss to the Coyotes and a 5-1 rout at the hands of the Jets. Columbus jumped out to an early 2-0 lead thanks to a pair of goals from Ryan Johansen, his 6th and 7th of the season.

However, early in the second period, David Savard pinched in along the side boards to stop a clearing attempt and, while searching for the puck in his feet, was run over by the human truck that is Travis Hamonic of the Islanders. Savard was knocked out cold and laid motionless on the ice as the trainers came out to help him off the ice. He would leave under his own power, but doctor's this morning are reporting that he will likely miss the remainder of the regular season with a significant concussion.

The Islanders would take advantage of the tired group of defensemen, who played the previous night in Winnipeg, scoring 4 goals to close out the second period, led by Matt Moulson who scored 2 and added a helper.

Steve Mason would start the third period and shut the door, however, the fatigued group in front of him was unable to muster any sustained offense, resulting in a 4-2 loss.

The Blue Jackets will continue their road trip in Pittsburgh tomorrow night with Cody Goloubef taking Savard's place on the right side of the third pairing. After Pittsburgh, Columbus will make a trip west for back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday against Los Angeles and Dallas before stopping in Minnesota on Tuesday on their way home.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Vertzedyek

Quote:

Well, I don't feel like writing at this point, I'm so late in my Be A GM. I will do when I finish this one, I didn't quite like the idea of posting my first Be A GM in ages to be honest.

And oh, if you want to see me try to turn a struggling team into a winner, let me know a team you would like to see - I don't know which I'd like.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:40 AM
n00bxQb

TRADE DEADLINE FILLED WITH BIG TRADES
March 4, 2016

The NHL trade deadline started off with a bang as the Calgary Flames, currently occupying the 5th seed in the Western Conference, traded away their top defenseman Mark Giordano to San Jose, currently 15th in the Western Conference, for their 2016 first round pick and 113th overall pick in the 2015 draft, center Toni Kiiskanen.

The move left Flames and Sharks fans alike puzzled.

Flames GM Jay Feaster had this to say, "Mark [Giordano] is a pending free agent this July and contract talks had not gone well to this point regarding an extension. We felt, given the significant offer San Jose made, that it was in the best interest of the franchise to trade him."

The Sharks 2016 first round pick, currently 1st overall, could pay significant dividends for the Flames as they continue their rebuild, although it obviously compromises their ability to compete for the Stanley Cup this season. Brett Ponich, acquired in the Jarome Iginla trade during the 2012-2013 season, will get the opportunity to play regularly in the Calgary lineup.

Sharks GM Doug Wilson could not be reached for comment, but it's believed he's trying to salvage his job. A top-pair defenseman like Mark Giordano may be enough to pull the Sharks out of the cellar within 20 games, although the playoffs are still very unlikely as the Sharks sit 16 points out of a playoff spot.

Shortly after the Giordano trade was announced, Minnesota shipped another minute-munching defenseman out of the Northwest as they traded Tom Gilbert to Tampa Bay in exchange for Tampa's 2016 first and third round picks plus 2015 45th overall pick, defenseman Rich Robins. It was another move assumed to be motivated by stalled contract negotiation talks as Gilbert is also a pending UFA.

Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman is hoping the move will help get them into the playoffs as they currently hold the 8th seed.

Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk, owning a pair of pending star UFAs himself, jumped on board, selling Loui Eriksson and Trevor Daley for picks and prospects.

Loui Eriksson is now a member of the Florida Panthers, penciled in alongside young superstar Jonathan Huberdeau and Tomas Fleischmann on the top line. The trade has made the Panthers one of the favourites to win the cup as they have immense talent and tremendous depth, something most teams can only dream about.

Panthers GM Dale Tallon was ecstatic to acquire Eriksson. "Players like Loui [Eriksson] don't become available every day. This is a player who is in his prime and has produced nearly a point per game year-in, year-out for several years. If he produces like we think he will, he'll give us a huge boost in our playoff run and hopefully we can convince him to come back after it's over."

The Panthers gave up their 2016 and 2017 first round picks and 2015 51st overall pick, left winger Tero Miettinen for the privilege of Loui Eriksson for at least the next few months.

Trevor Daley was shipped to Pittsburgh at the same time with prospects Olli Maatta, Pittsburgh's 22nd overall pick in 2012, and Jeffrey Wood, Pittsburgh's 91st overall pick in 2015, coming to Texas.

The Penguins, who were dominating the league earlier in the season, have managed to fall out of the top 8 in the Eastern Conference, and were desperate to make a significant improvement to the team, especially after they saw the team they're trying to catch, Tampa Bay, acquire Tom Gilbert. Trevor Daley is an excellent defenseman who should help them down the stretch, but experts aren't sure if it will be enough to get the struggling Penguins back into the playoff picture.

The Blue Jackets, as usual, didn't make any moves on deadline day. GM Mackenzie instead skated with the team during the morning skate and held a meeting with injured players Derick Brassard (herniated disc), Maksim Mayorov (concussion), David Savard (concussion), and Ryan Pulock (concussion).

2015-2016 Trading Summary

To DET:
C Nik Antropov (82 OVR, 36)

To PHI:
LW Nikolai Lisin (61 OVR, 20, 3.0 yellow stars)

--------------------------------------------------

To FLA:
D Marek Zidlicky (84 OVR, 39)

To NJD:
RW Logan Shaw (65 OVR, 23, 3.0 yellow stars)

--------------------------------------------------TRADE DEADLINE--------------------------------------------------

To CGY:
C Toni Kiiskinen (59 OVR, 21, 2.5 yellow stars)
2016 1st Round Pick (SJS)

To SJS:
D Mark Giordano (87 OVR, 32)

To MIN:
D Rich Robins (61 OVR, 20, 3.0 yellow stars)
2016 1st Round Pick (TBL)
2016 3rd Round Pick (TBL)

To TBL:
D Tom Gilbert (86 OVR, 33)

To DAL:
LW Tero Miettinen (60 OVR, 20, 3.0 yellow stars)
2016 1st Round Pick (FLA)
2017 1st Round Pick (FLA)

To FLA:
LW Loui Eriksson (87 OVR, 30)

To DAL:
D Olli Maatta (62 OVR, 21, 3.5 yellow stars)
RW Jeffrey Wood (58 OVR, 21, 2.5 yellow stars)

To PIT:
D Trevor Daley (84 OVR, 32)

Old
02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Well, I don't feel like writing at this point, I'm so late in my Be A GM. I will do when I finish this one, I didn't quite like the idea of posting my first Be A GM in ages to be honest.

And oh, if you want to see me try to turn a struggling team into a winner, let me know a team you would like to see - I don't know which I'd like.

Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe the Winnipeg Jets? Non-playoff team, 29th ranked prospect pool (according to Hockey's Future), no real star players.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Vertzedyek

Quote:
Maybe the Winnipeg Jets? Non-playoff team, 29th ranked prospect pool (according to Hockey's Future), no real star players.
Could be. I think they have some good prospects, atleast some good young players. NHL 13 doesn't really include the prospects, so.. I might just do that one!

Old
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Sens Adjusting to Life without Spezza/Karlsson

A day after the word "uncanny" became my least favourite word in the dictionary when Jason Spezza and Erik Karlsson went down in the first game of my Senators Be a GM, the day must go on, and the line-ups adjusted. The Senators called up defenceman Tyler Eckford from Binghamton, and Erik Condra has been moved to the first line to fill the Spezza void. Jared Cowan has also been told he can expect a lot more ice time going forward.

The Senators managed to beat the Washington Capitals 3-2 in their 2nd game and actually managed to make it through injury free, only to then suffer a crushing 5-1 loss against the Pittsburgh Penguins to sit at 2-1-0-0.

Around the League

Andrei Markov, surprise surprise, will miss about 4 weeks. He's out with a sprained ankle.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
SP0RTSFANATIC98

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.
Do the Islanders

Old
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
I love reading these things.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Well I have an annoying glitch in mine... I can't sign any players because it says my roster is full even though I only have like 20 players signed

Anyone else have this problem? Ugh

Old
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Well I have an annoying glitch in mine... I can't sign any players because it says my roster is full even though I only have like 20 players signed

Anyone else have this problem? Ugh
If it's during signing period then it may be because you have a whole bunch of RFA's. Those players count towards your roster so you have to drop a few before you can sign rookies or UFA's. If that's not the case, then I'm not sure what it is.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
n00bxQb

Any player previously under contract still counts as taking a roster spot until you release him (or until July 1 if you don't release him during the re-sign phase).

Old
02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 1150

So when trying to repeat our Stanley Cup championship, my Devils finished the 2016-17 season with a record of 52-23-7. Rookie goalie Spencer Martin took over the starting role, and Leland Irving is his backup. Martin won the Calder Trophy, racking up 32 wins, with a GAA of 2.31 and save percentage of 0.922%. Henrik Sedin led the team with 91 points, but he was the only player on the team who finished above PPG. That was surprising since we have Kovy, P. Kane, Shinkaruk, D. Sedin, Henrique... but anyways we were defeated by the Sabres in round one of the playoffs. (six game series). A very poor job of defending our title, IMO.

Offseason Report

Draft Day: Henrik Sedin retired, yet Daniel didn't. I decided it was time to trade him, and shipped him to Anaheim at the draft in exchange for Mikhail Grigorenko and a right winger named Patrik Koys. Grigorenko is 78 overall with 4.5 yellow stars and Koys is 81 overall with 4 yellow stars. Koys has an absolutely amazing defensive category - 85 shot blocking, 89 stick checking, and 96 defensive awareness!! He will only get better, too.

Free Agency: I signed Marian Hossa to a 1 year, $10 million contract. He is 38 years old so if we aren't doing well by the trade deadline I will trade him. If I keep him and he doesn't retire I can re-sign him to a cheaper contract.

Other Trades: I shipped Shawn Park (4 star center prospect, 61 ovr, 22 years old), Taylor Doherty (82 TWD) and a 3rd round pick to Vancouver in exchange for Christopher Tanev (85 TWD). I needed another defenseman to play the PP, because I released Andy Greene to free agency. (He dropped to 80 overall). Tanev is better than Doherty in every category except for physical, but that's okay.

2017-18 Lineup:

Kovalchuk (90) - Shinkaruk (85) - Kane (87)
Grigorenko (78) - Henrique (83) - Hossa (87)
Skvortsov (80) - Karlsson (79) - Koys (81)
Zibanejad (79) - Hodgman (77) - Josefson (79)

Larsson (84) - Hamilton (86)
Sauer (83) - Tanev (85)
Gunnarsson (82) - Urbom (81)

Martin (85)
Irving (84)

Still have $10 million in cap space.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
Free Agency: I signed Marian Hossa to a 1 year, $10 million contract. He is 38 years old so if we aren't doing well by the trade deadline I will trade him. If I keep him and he doesn't retire I can re-sign him to a cheaper contract.
Hossa wanted 10 million?!

Sweet Jesus.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
Hossa wanted 10 million?!

Sweet Jesus.
He wanted around 8.5 million for three years, but due to his age I only wanted to give him a 1 year deal. His asking price went up to about 9.2 million or so for one year, I decided to give him 10 million to make sure I got him. He was the only free agent above 82 overall. I had a ton of cap space so it was no big deal.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
KieranA91

End of Season Report
2013-14

Record: 41-32-9
Position: 4th in Northwest Division - 10th in Western Conference - 17th in NHL

We finished 2 points behind 8th placed Detroit which hurt a little but we surpassed season expectations once again, getting 41 wins, 6 more than what was required. I personally consider a 91 point season a good effort, even though we failed to make the playoffs.

Our offence was the 3rd best in the league in the end, scoring 239 goals. Defensively we were poor, but at least improve from 30th to 28th in the league in that category, conceding 246.

Corey Perry finished the season as the teams top point producer, scoring 28 goals and adding 53 assists for 81 points in 80 contests. Paul Stastny had a much better year offensively too, with 30 goals and 41 assists in 82 games. Matt Duchene rounds out the top 3 with 27 goals and 37 assists for 64 points in all 82 games.

Name GP G A PTS PIM +/-
C. Perry 80 28 53 81 88 +11
P. Stastny 82 30 41 71 18 +17
M. Duchene 82 27 37 64 18 -3
G. Landeskog 75 29 30 59 34 +10
A. Ladd 78 19 24 43 62 -3
P. Parenteau 68 14 18 32 10 -8
J. Hejda 75 5 26 31 58 -9
T. Lydman 75 3 28 31 24 -4
E. Johnson 71 3 25 28 97 -10
S. Downie 82 11 16 27 48 -2
M. Connolly 63 7 19 26 4 -6
R. O'Reilly 82 13 11 24 40 -4
C. Gaunce 61 0 22 22 18 +2
D. Winnik 81 10 10 20 6 +2
D. Jones 74 8 11 19 4 -2
S. O'Brien 74 6 10 16 123 +9
R. Wilson 75 2 12 14 94 -5
M. Olver 80 4 8 12 4 -2
A. Stralman 32 1 10 11 2 -7
C. Kobasew 38 7 2 9 4 -1
G. Zanon 74 0 8 8 38 +17
M. Sgarbossa 11 2 1 3 0 -1
B. Malone 3 0 2 2 0 +1

Name GP W L OTL GAA Sav% SO
S. Varlamov 49 23 15 5 2.56 91.70 3
A. Engern 26 11 13 2 3.01 90.18 1
K. Ramo 9 5 3 1 3.40 88.73 0
J. Giguere 4 1 1 1 4.31 87.30 0

Trade News
I picked up Lydman off waivers towards the back end of the season, and we went on a little run, however it was too little too late.

Minor Watch
The Monsters lost in the conference semi finals, unfortunately not being able to hoist the Calder Cup for the second year running.

Cups/Trophies
Los Angeles Kings - Stanley Cup Champions

Closed Thread