HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM intersted in MDZ

Old
01-12-2013, 01:08 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Staal View Post
LOL I love how a thread about Del Zotto to EDM turns into Yakupov/RNH/Hall to NYR.
Well when you're speculating over a 21 year old d-man who puts up over 40 points and just finished 12th in Norris voting you want something good coming back. And honestly outside of Edmonton's big 4 there isn't a lot enticing pieces. Obviously Rangers would have to add for anyone of them. I doubt MDZ gets traded though. If he did I'd want Aaron similar player coming back. Someone that can play the right side. For instance someone like Shattenkirk. Rangers are set on the wings, got 2 really good C's and a great goalie. If we trade MDZ we'd be looking for a RD to strengthen our top 4.

The top 4 is really good, unfortunately we got 3 LD's and only 1RD there. Hence why I could see MDZ traded. McDonagh and Staal are locks on the team. MDZ is the most expendable out of the 3.

I predict MDZ gets 3 million for a term of something like 3 years.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So it's pure conjecture. Got it. Thanks.
You don't like the word "disgruntled"? Fine... the fact of the matter is that he hasn't signed a contract, has publicly said he doesn't like the offer, his GM has publicly said that's the best offer he's going to get... etc...

We're talking about a potential training camp/reg season holdout and you are getting tangled up in semantics.

The point is... his contract status is the only reason we're even having this conversation. Otherwise talking about NYR trading MDZ to Edmonton would be pure fantasy. .... though not nearly as fantasy as saying the oil would consider sending RNH the other way

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:39 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
There's a difference between not having a contract yet and being disgruntled.

Apparently, you don't know the difference.
I acknowledge that but you guys are overreacting to one word in a three paragraph post. Try tackling the substance instead.

And... are you also saying, this year especially, that unsigned, unpaid hockey players are happy people?

He's less than 24 hours away from being a holdout... there is still time, but a contract holdout = disgruntled in my view.

Besides the matter that the WHOLE thread is based on a presumption that he doesn't sign... it is the very basis for the conversation, in case you have lost the plot

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Well when you're speculating over a 21 year old d-man who puts up over 40 points and just finished 12th in Norris voting you want something good coming back. And honestly outside of Edmonton's big 4 there isn't a lot enticing pieces. Obviously Rangers would have to add for anyone of them. I doubt MDZ gets traded though. If he did I'd want Aaron similar player coming back. Someone that can play the right side. For instance someone like Shattenkirk. Rangers are set on the wings, got 2 really good C's and a great goalie. If we trade MDZ we'd be looking for a RD to strengthen our top 4.

The top 4 is really good, unfortunately we got 3 LD's and only 1RD there. Hence why I could see MDZ traded. McDonagh and Staal are locks on the team. MDZ is the most expendable out of the 3.

I predict MDZ gets 3 million for a term of something like 3 years.
RNH is coming off a 52pt season with a 0.83ppg avg as a rookie. Placed 2nd for the Calder and was player of the tournament at the WJC in addition to being MVP for team Canada. Still think 12th in Norris gets MDZ to be the centerpiece in a trade for RNH?

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
RNH is coming off a 52pt season with a 0.83ppg avg as a rookie. Placed 2nd for the Calder and was player of the tournament at the WJC in addition to being MVP for team Canada. Still think 12th in Norris gets MDZ to be the centerpiece in a trade for RNH?
I don't necessarily disagree with the crux of your point, but the bold part means very little.

01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with the crux of your point, but the bold part means very little.
While MVP team Canada may not mean much being the best player in the WJC is impressive. He beat out a lot of great names and highly touted prospects all without even earning a medal in the tournament.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:33 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Gibson was the best player at the WJC

MVP on a 4th place team? Whoppee

Otoh his play last year in the NHL was very impressive

MDZ+ for RNH is just a pipedream for bored/desillusional NYR fans. Nothing to respond to

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Gibson was the best player at the WJC

MVP on a 4th place team? Whoppee

Otoh his play last year in the NHL was very impressive

MDZ+ for RNH is just a pipedream for bored/desillusional NYR fans. Nothing to respond to
Just as MDZ for scraps is a pipe dream for bored Oiler fans.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:42 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Just as MDZ for scraps is a pipe dream for bored Oiler fans.
True dat. But sometimes one has to be ashamed of ones own fanbase... Nobody named...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
While MVP team Canada may not mean much being the best player in the WJC is impressive. He beat out a lot of great names and highly touted prospects all without even earning a medal in the tournament.
Not really. He's an NHL player. He supposed to play that way. Not that it matters but RNH was the leading scorer, not best player.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
You don't like the word "disgruntled"? Fine... the fact of the matter is that he hasn't signed a contract, has publicly said he doesn't like the offer, his GM has publicly said that's the best offer he's going to get... etc...

We're talking about a potential training camp/reg season holdout and you are getting tangled up in semantics.
Disgruntled? Do you understand the fundamentals of negotiating? If MDZ really wanted 3M, he would have started at around 4M. Not 3.

Using a word like disgruntled makes the nature of your post very, very clear. It's a foolish approach to a discussion you're clearly struggling with.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
Okay, if that was the case I would want edmonton to offer-sheet MDZ for 3.3 at 3 years.. I would gladly take him on the oil for that amount and compensation is only a 2nd.. If only Tambo had the stones to pull this off.
Rangers would match. All that would do is paint a giant bullseye on your RFA's when they're up at bat.

Quote:
If you want MDZ, be prepared to give up something significant. Something that'll improve our team. No futures. No potential. If you can't, then you're not getting MDZ. Simple as that.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If you want MDZ, be prepared to give up something significant. Something that'll improve our team. No futures. No potential. If you can't, then you're not getting MDZ. Simple as that.
And that's really the brass tax of the matter.

I don't know or really care to speculate what would come from Edmonton IF a trade happened. But it would be something that improved the Rangers today.

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Mctopchowda

NYR have an abundance of defence and need help up front. Oilers have an abundance of RW'ers. I feel that with this being a short season the NYR will have pressure to win now and the deal would be MDZ for Hemsky, 2nd, prospect.

Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Rangers would match. All that would do is paint a giant bullseye on your RFA's when they're up at bat.

You're not getting it. RNH has far more value than MDZ and we're very happy with him. Far more so than we would be with another 2nd pairing D. If you seriously want a franchise center who was just recently drafted 1st overall think McDonagh not MDZ. The give to get mantra works both ways unless the Oilers recently hired Gained.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Neatman

Quote:

A giant bullseye so Sather can what? Send them lowball RFA offers? Offersheets are going to get more common, especially when GMs refuse to pay young players what they're worth.

Edmonton has a number of pieces valuable enough to net MDZ (mostly in a package). Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and RNH just arent in the conversation. Schultz is a wildcard. I think that's why so many Oilers fans arent tempted to give him up, even for a player that looks definitively better at this point.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:19 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:

Good thing Tambo locks up his guys a year before they sre off ELC's.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:24 PM
SDig14

Seems as though there is a consensus.

MDZ is good, and won't be going to Edmonton.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
A giant bullseye so Sather can what? Send them lowball RFA offers? Offersheets are going to get more common, especially when GMs refuse to pay young players what they're worth.

Edmonton has a number of pieces valuable enough to net MDZ (mostly in a package). Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and RNH just arent in the conversation. Schultz is a wildcard. I think that's why so many Oilers fans arent tempted to give him up, even for a player that looks definitively better at this point.
Besides your big 4 forwards, you can make a collage of any of Edmonton's pieces and it wouldn't you MDZ.

If it doesn't make the Rangers better for this season, there's no reason for us to do it. I don't care if its your next two first rounders and Klefbom.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Machinehead
BOlieve Dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Seems as though there is a consensus.

MDZ is good, and won't be going to Edmonton.
Well that was the consensus on page 1, but if we just settled on that we'd miss out on all this entertainment

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
NYR have an abundance of defence and need help up front. Oilers have an abundance of RW'ers. I feel that with this being a short season the NYR will have pressure to win now and the deal would be MDZ for Hemsky, 2nd, prospect.
Except the Rangers have ridiculous depth on the RW side.

Hemsky would play 4th line minutes behind Gaborik, Nash, Callahan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
And that's really the brass tax of the matter.
Yes I understood, and no it doesn't really matter... but if I were in your shoes I'd want someone to point it out to me. I know it isn't a typo since you structured your sentence around it being singular rather than plural.

Brass Tacks.

The term refers to the brass tacks that were used to bind pages together, so it's used now as an expression indicating points or elements that make up the base of an idea.

Not making fun of/insulting you at all, just trying to be helpful

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Except the Rangers have ridiculous depth on the RW side.

Hemsky would play 4th line minutes behind Gaborik, Nash, Callahan.
shhh shhh. take the deal

Plus dont Gaborik and Nash play LW. Hemsky has comparable #'s to Nash (0.77ppg versus 0.81 ppg)

Hes also puts up better #'s than Callahan. Wasnt the biggest problem last year with the rangers the lack of points in the playoffs?

Last edited by Mctopchowda: 01-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:37 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1238603

Brooks reported the Rangers offering 2.4 for 2 years and MDZ wanting 3 for 2 years. Sather won't budge much, so you can likely expect a 2 year for 2.5 or 2.6.
That's a potentially dangerous waiting game for Sather to play, if you leave Del Zotto sitting around for a few days. Who knows which team might decide to offer sheet him?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Well that was the consensus on page 1, but if we just settled on that we'd miss out on all this entertainment
Very true. It's almost like a bad car crash, it's terrible but for some reason you can't look (stay) away.

Entertaining as usual. Hopefully there are some actual legit rumours in the next week or so that we can discuss instead.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote