HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Roboholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
A: He's 33.
He is, but he's also 35 next season.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
But he was 32 the season before.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
And you'd be dreaming if you think Luongo could even fetch one of Larsson's skates.
Kind of like Leaf fans who think they can get Luongo for Bozak & Kadri.

Bozak doesn't even get you Luongo's jock & Kadri... what has he done? PPG in the AHL? Like no busts have ever done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The six week figure was based on reports from December saying the time table for the return was months.

Higgins or Schroeder will not be your #2 Centre. You'll be trading Luongo or signing a vet like Arnott as a stop gap.
gotta love others telling us how our team will be built

Old
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Give us Kessel, he's UFA next season.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
not everything is garbage, but not everything is useful to vancouver. We don't need useless players to us.
Guys like Lupul, Gardiner or even Grabovski are different elements. Kadri Torontos first and Rielly are longer term benefits, but again add something we don't have in our system at present. Lombardi, Connolly, Kulemin, Bozak, MacArthur, later picks, Reimer, Scrivens and many prospects that are being offered are redundant in our system or hold little value due to the availability of other similar players. Plus seeing variations of the same 6 players on every proposal makes us think you don't value these players.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
But he was 32 the season before.
Unfortunately he's only getting older

Old
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Unfortunately he's only getting older
I was hoping you wouldn't notice.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I honestly feel at this point that you're just blindly arguing.

If the Canucks had no #1C, Edler, one prospect like Rielly, no goaltender and a defense that looks like ours after the trade, there's no way you'd trade Edler for a 34 year old goalie, even if he was great. You still need a way to compete after you get that great goaltender. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Your post was a little confusing with all the commas, but are you comparing Gardiner to Edler?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
I was hoping you wouldn't notice.
You mean your hoping Nonis doesn't notice.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

Bozak doesn't even get you Luongo's jock & Kadri... what has he done? PPG in the AHL? Like no busts have ever done that.

Not worth stooping to their level.

The only team not desperate to do something in this situation is Vancouver, and it certainly shows in the posts in these threads. Its been two days and Leaf fans are already going all out to drag Luongo's name through the mud.

Bravo.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Your post was a little confusing with all the commas, but are you comparing Gardiner to Edler?
I never brought up Edler, I'm responding to someone's hypothetical rebuttal because they said they would trade Edler for Luongo if the Canucks were in Toronto's position. I think that's complete silliness.

I did not ever compare Gardiner to Edler.

**My apologies, I'm trying to keep straight two different arguments - one guy used Edler, one guy used a 24 year old Ohlund. Regardless, my answer is the same.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:

You mean like Alexandre "32 points in 34 games for the Pirates" Bolduc? Where was that when he was in the Canucks system? That being said, I actually like Kadri.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
so???
Part of a deal is receiving the contract..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
5.3 million dollars is going to be nothing five years later. Remember the cap used to be 39 million dollars back in 06, even if the cap does goes back down to 60 million dollars next season, its still a 21 million dollars increase!
Dont think the cap can go below 64.3 under this CBA. But if it could, I believe the cap would be less than 60. Id be surprised if we make 2.5 billion next season. Besides, who wants a 5.3 million dollar cap hit for someone not playing (if he retires early)? This lockout I think will be a big blow to the NHL, unlike last time. Last time the NHL NEEDED it. This time we didnt need to fix problems, this lockout most can't wrap their heads around. A big reason was cap circumvention but they should have made those rules last time to avoid this.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Guys like Lupul, Gardiner or even Grabovski are different elements. Kadri Torontos first and Rielly are longer term benefits, but again add something we don't have in our system at present. Lombardi, Connolly, Kulemin, Bozak, MacArthur, later picks, Reimer, Scrivens and many prospects that are being offered are redundant in our system or hold little value due to the availability of other similar players. Plus seeing variations of the same 6 players on every proposal makes us think you don't value these players.
Do you not see the irony in this statement?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Kadri... what has he done? PPG in the AHL? Like no busts have ever done that.
This is the first time I've ever heard a negative spin on a prospect performing well in the AHL.

Give it a rest.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Indeed it makes a difference, but you also get 6-7 years of quality goalies, which you currently don't have.
6-7 years is being extremely generous. If he was as good as you claim, he wouldn't lose hs job to an unproven goalie.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I honestly feel at this point that you're just blindly arguing.

If the Canucks had no #1C, Edler, one prospect like Rielly, no goaltender and a defense that looks like ours after the trade, there's no way you'd trade Edler for a 34 year old goalie, even if he was great. You still need a way to compete after you get that great goaltender. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Agree to disagree here. Maybe I value a number one goalie over a number one defenseman more than you do.

I think they are much harder to acquire and even at 33, many of the top end goalies maintained that level if play to 38 and a few beyond that.

Edler or Gardiner or Ohlund aren't going to effect winning as much as Luongo would and if you wait to develop a goalie or keep trying to get by on average goaltending, you are burning off several of those players best years, not to mention the likelihood of top players like Kessel and Lupul looking for an opportunity to win somewhere else. To continue with mediocrity is futile and more of a squandering of that talent than trading it away to improve.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Looks up. Sees title of thread is the Luongo thread.
Maybe you are lost?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Goaltending is over-rated if you are strong down the middle (and in other areas).

Pittsburgh had Crosby, Malkin, Staal
Philly had Giroux, Briere, Couturier, Schenn

Since the lockout, virtually every cup champ had 1-2 (or 3) punch down the middle that was good, if not great (anaheim maybe being the exception, but McDonald and Getzlaf were pretty good that year). On the flipside, those cup champs didn't always have an elite goalie.
YOu're forgetting the amazing cup run for Sammy Phalsson, arguably the most important center on the team that year.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
binop7

Quote:
Looks up. Sees title of thread is the Luongo thread.
Maybe you are lost?
I was referring more to chucking in guys like Raymond and Ballard

Old
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Part of a deal is receiving the contract..?

Dont think the cap can go below 64.3 under this CBA. But if it could, I believe the cap would be less than 60. Id be surprised if we make 2.5 billion next season. Besides, who wants a 5.3 million dollar cap hit for someone not playing (if he retires early)? This lockout I think will be a big blow to the NHL, unlike last time. Last time the NHL NEEDED it. This time we didnt need to fix problems, this lockout most can't wrap their heads around. A big reason was cap circumvention but they should have made those rules last time to avoid this.
Luongo's cap penalty would likely be 2 mil, not 5.3.

Also, why not give us something around Lupul, who also has a bad contract status(although for opposite reasons), and quite a few question marks of his own?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
I think most do, it's getting silly at this point.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Also, why not give us something around Lupul, who also has a bad contract status(although for opposite reasons), and quite a few question marks of his own?
This needs to be emphasized. As I understand it, Van remains on the hook for some of the cap hit if Luongo retires.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Agree to disagree here. Maybe I value a number one goalie over a number one defenseman more than you do.

I think they are much harder to acquire and even at 33, many of the top end goalies maintained that level if play to 38 and a few beyond that.

Edler or Gardiner or Ohlund aren't going to effect winning as much as Luongo would and if you wait to develop a goalie or keep trying to get by on average goaltending, you are burning off several of those players best years, not to mention the likelihood of top players like Kessel and Lupul looking for an opportunity to win somewhere else. To continue with mediocrity is futile and more of a squandering of that talent than trading it away to improve.
Firmly believe that if the Leafs are rumoured to be making this deal with a club that is not Vancouver, Vancouver fans likely would be snickering about how typical it is that the Leafs give up another top prospect to try and win now. Absolutely 100%.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

How so? Do they just take yearly salary, rather than cap hit? If so, that's nothing. I think we currently have Army and Tucker taking up 2 mill

Because him and Phil are incredible together. He's likely to resign, I'd bet. If not, I'd entertain the idea.

Closed Thread