HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So I proposed this in an offshoot 3-way thread that got closed:

Leafs:
Luongo

Ducks:
Kassian
Kadri
Bozak
Van 1st

Canucks:
Perry
Tor 1st cond' on playoffs or becomes a 2nd
Probably one of the better proposals we've seen ever in a Luongo thread. It would hurt to give up Kassian because I believe he will mature nicely but you have to give to get. I do that deal if Perry extends.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There is no way to measure who the best team in an 82 game schedule is because every team plays a different 82 game schedule. The Canucks feasted on downright awful NW division.

The Rangers and St. Louis, who both finished 2 points behind the Canucks, played in the most competitive divisions in their respective conferences. The Canucks had the most points last season, but they were not the best team.
That's way too simplistic especially with the Rangers. The West is just tougher than the East.
The top teams in the East are strong like the West but the bottom half is just very weak. A team like Florida makes it into the playoffs in the East but a team like LA just sneaks into the playoffs on the last weekend in the West. Getting into the playoffs in the West is an all out war. In the East you can sneak in with not playing all that well. Which, when you think of it, is a pretty big indictment of the Leafs when they have not been able to get into the playoffs in the East since the lockout.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Inverted
#tookitback

If rumor is Vancouver wants Gardiner + Kadri in return for Luongo and Burke refused to make the trade. If Nonis is to do this trade then it would worse then Burke's trading of Kessel for two first round picks and a second and it only shows how ridiculous this organization/owners are. They have so little in the way of prospects and futures, to include Gardiner only shows this organization cares nothing about winning and everything about playoff revenue.

The idea of trading away Gardiner in hopes of squeezing into the 7th/8th seed and landing a playoff round revenue is outrageous! Another foolish example of why this team is going nowhere fast and has no future. This has been the recipe for the past 8 years with the Leafs.

MLSE needs to hear the hard truth. The team needs to bottom out and stock the cupboard with high end talent like Edmonton has done. Both teams were/are in similar positions 4 years and ago and but it's clear which organization has more potential to win going forward. Had this approach been taken when Burke was hired, then MLSE would be in a better spot now.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Probably one of the better proposals we've seen ever in a Luongo thread. It would hurt to give up Kassian because I believe he will mature nicely but you have to give to get. I do that deal if Perry extends.
Yeah, I think that was one of my better proposals. It gives Anaheim 2 solid NHL ready prospects, a fill in 2C, and an admittedly late 1st in a deep draft.

We'd have to be confident we could extend Perry, but I think the trade helps all 3 teams.(assuming Toronto isn't looking to start rebuilding again)

Old
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Johnny Canuck

Do leafs make the playoffs with Luongo? If MLSE feels they do, I'm not sure how they could balk at giving up Gardiner.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
unfortunately, it seems to be a legitimate way to get a cup contender without trying
Actually, sucking and getting a string of high draft picks IS a formula for a championship - ask Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yeah, I think that was one of my better proposals. It gives Anaheim 2 solid NHL ready prospects, a fill in 2C, and an admittedly late 1st in a deep draft.

We'd have to be confident we could extend Perry, but I think the trade helps all 3 teams.(assuming Toronto isn't looking to start rebuilding again)
It's a ridiculously bad trade and I'm ashamed any Canucks fan would support it.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Actually, sucking and getting a string of high draft picks IS a formula for a championship - ask Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
One of Burke's better conferences, IMO.
What he should have said, the Pittsburgh model?
Yeah just win the lottery in a draft year when a generational talent is available and then get another guy at second who is all world.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM
smack66

Quote:
Boston Bruins disagree

Old
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
Boston Bruins disagree
He didn't say the only formula....

Old
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
He didn't say the only formula....
Thank you. Christ.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
Boston Bruins disagree
Exactly. Not all rebuilds workout.
Try telling MLSE who would make stupid money in the playoffs that even an 8th seed spot is bad. LA won. Come playoff time, you never know. So how much is Gardiner worth to MLSE?? Tens of millions?? And who's to say the Leafs would be able to get a goalie in the near future, it's been 10 years since the last time they had one.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
I was saying it was a way to get a contending team and I agree with you, although it's not the only way. LA, Boston, Detroit ect

I'm just not a fan of the Pens model

Old
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
The Saurus

I would expect a significant plus added to Roberto Luongo if Jake Gardiner is going to Vancouver.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I would expect a significant plus added to Roberto Luongo if Jake Gardiner is going to Vancouver.
like what?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
like what?
Probably Zack Kassian, even though I'm lukewarm on his ability to be an impact player in the NHL, and a first round draft pick. Roberto's contractual uncertainty is balanced with decent youth and a chance to draft twice in the first round.

Jake Gardiner for Roberto Luongo, Zack Kassian, and a first round draft choice.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
Do leafs make the playoffs with Luongo? If MLSE feels they do, I'm not sure how they could balk at giving up Gardiner.
We're not a win now team so I don't understand how it makes any sense. Gardiner will be here for a long time.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Probably Zack Kassian, even though I'm lukewarm on his ability to be an impact player in the NHL, and a first round draft pick. Roberto's contractual uncertainty is balanced with decent youth and a chance to draft twice in the first round.

The Canucks wouldn't trade Kassian and a 1st for Gardiner let alone throw in Luongo as well.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
We're not a win now team so I don't understand how it makes any sense. Gardiner will be here for a long time.
Canucks' fans only rationale for the Leafs moving Jake Gardiner is the profits of a first round exit and not about the long-term health of the franchise.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
htpwn

Quote:
It doesn't and it has to one to be one of the stupidest arguments put forward in this thread.

Why would an organization making $500 million in revenue a year force their GM to mortgage the future for 2 or 3 playoff games?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Quote:
Aren't the Leafs one of the most win now franchises in the league? The pressure on them by ownership, fans and media to make the playoffs is immense. I don't think the patience is there for a few more seasons of rebuilding and would agree they'd trade Gardiner or Rielly if they felt it'd get them a playoff spot.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Linden

Quote:

That really seems like an overpayment (maybe that was the intention because Gardiner is very valuable to leafs blue line)

Although I would agree that Toronto shouldn't give up Gardiner for Luongo, I wouldn't endorse us to throw in our top prospect and a 1st (in a good draft) to equal it out. I would hope everyone involved realizes that this is a bad trade for the Canucks and if that is what is necissary to get Gardiner out of Toronto then, no thanks. I never really saw the appeal to getting Gardiner, obviously he is a great player, with tons of potential, he just doesnt fill a need. I guess we would try to flip Edler for a top 6 forward or something?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The Canucks wouldn't trade Kassian and a 1st for Gardiner let alone throw in Luongo as well.
I would

Gardiner >> Kassian and a late first doesnt make up the difference

Especially seeing as though I think Kassian will be stuck behind a lot of our wingers unless he establishes himself on the second line which is doubtfull imo

throwing in Luongo as well makes it a complete no go

Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Aren't the Leafs one of the most win now franchises in the league? The pressure on them by ownership, fans and media to make the playoffs is immense. I don't think the patience is there for a few more seasons of rebuilding and would agree they'd trade Gardiner or Rielly if they felt it'd get them a playoff spot.
That goes against everything Dave Nonis has said since he was hired as GM.

Closed Thread