HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milan Jurcina

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 06:30 PM
  #1
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Milan Jurcina

I'm just curious to know your honest assessment of Milan Jurcina... Is he really as bad as his numbers indicate from last season? I ask as the Sens are in need of veteran bodies on the backend and there are reports that we are interested in him. I've always seen Jurcina as a big bodied serviceable 6-7th D but if I go by last year he seems like he was completely awful compared from what I remember.

Thoughts?

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
  #2
JTforPres2012
Registered User
 
JTforPres2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
I'm just curious to know your honest assessment of Milan Jurcina... Is he really as bad as his numbers indicate from last season? I ask as the Sens are in need of veteran bodies on the backend and there are reports that we are interested in him. I've always seen Jurcina as a big bodied serviceable 6-7th D but if I go by last year he seems like he was completely awful compared from what I remember.

Thoughts?
Save yourself Extremely slow and useless, for such a big man, he hardly ever gets physical.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
  #3
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,886
vCash: 500
I thought Jurcina was good 2 years ago but last season he was average at best(although maybe not as bad as his numbers say). At the right price I would take a chance for a #6 guy

It should be pointed out the guy seems to be really injury prone

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
  #4
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 18,297
vCash: 500
I would honastly take Radek Martinek 7 days a week over Juice

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
  #5
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,059
vCash: 50
He has a big frame, big shot, and can deliver big blows. The problem is his mobility is bad which leads him to being out of position. He is not a smart player and doesn't think the game well. Even though he can hit well, he just never made it a staple to his game and his shot is big and low like I said but he never has time to get it off and get it on net. He is not as bad as his numbers indicate but at this point he is really a depth defenseman at best.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:43 PM
  #6
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,221
vCash: 55
Don't ask him to fill a top 4 role.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
  #7
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,158
vCash: 500
Think of Zdeno Chara without the positives.

Milan does have a hard shot and a long reach.......and literally nothing else. But for a 7 th man, why not.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:49 PM
  #8
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Don't ask him to fill a top 4 role.
Right now our Top 4 consists of Karlsson, Gonchar, Phillips, and Methot. It's the bottom 2-3 spots that are lacking any veteran presence as Lundin is injured to start the season meaning we'd be playing 3 rookies from Bingo to fill those spots so we most definitely need someone back there... There has been talks of trading for someone or a free agent signing and so far the only names mentioned have been Jurcina, C.White and Huskins.

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
  #9
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,221
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Right now our Top 4 consists of Karlsson, Gonchar, Phillips, and Methot. It's the bottom 2-3 spots that are lacking any veteran presence as Lundin is injured to start the season meaning we'd be playing 3 rookies from Bingo to fill those spots so we most definitely need someone back there... There has been talks of trading for someone or a free agent signing and so far the only names mentioned have been Jurcina, C.White and Huskins.
I'd take Jurcina in a 3rd pairing role.

The isles simply had a weak D and asked him and several other aging vets, to do more then they are capable of at this point.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
  #10
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,978
vCash: 500
For every good decision Jurcina makes-he makes 3 boneheaded ones. I always thought he was awful from his first year with the Isles. And let's be honest here: he's a 3rd pairing on a bottom-5 defense at best.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
  #11
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
last season was awful but the season before that he did everything he was asked of and more except staying healthy and his physicality is very under rated by isles fans

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:05 AM
  #12
KyleBailey12
Registered User
 
KyleBailey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Serviceable 6 or 7 guy with a shot that you could use on second powerplay.

A lot of Juice hate and I understand, but if I recall correctly the Isles had a better record when he played then when he didn't. I couldn't find anything on it, but I can't stop thinking of the graphic they showed when talking about him.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
  #13
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Serviceable 6 or 7 guy with a shot that you could use on second powerplay.

A lot of Juice hate and I understand, but if I recall correctly the Isles had a better record when he played then when he didn't. I couldn't find anything on it, but I can't stop thinking of the graphic they showed when talking about him.
True, the Isles had a great record with Jurcina in the lineup. I think it was two years ago, he was hurt when theI sles won 1 of 26, when JT only had 3-4 goals.

But I always thought Jurcina was a #7 at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
For every good decision Jurcina makes-he makes 3 boneheaded ones. I always thought he was awful from his first year with the Isles. And let's be honest here: he's a 3rd pairing on a bottom-5 defense at best.
The more he's on the ice, the more the team is exposed. He's too slow, reads the play poorly, is terrible at decisions and can't make a first pass. There are better options out there than Jurcina, that's for sure.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:54 AM
  #14
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 50
2 years ago he was a pleasant surprise, last year he was beyond brutal. Basically what you're getting is a gigantic man who is physical in his own way (rubs people out better than most in the NHL but leaves you wanting more) and has a bomb of a shot but is usually blocked but leaves that player broken from it.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.