HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Deryk Engelland

Old
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
professorchaos

vCash: 500
Deryk Engelland

I am a fan of Engell's game but admittedly as a Canuck fan, I don't get to watch him too often. Pens fans if you please, tell me something I may not know about his game and what it could possibly take to pry him out of Pittsburgh.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Crosberry87

I don't know that Engo would really be for sale. He adds a physical dimension on our blue line that otherwise wouldn't be there, he fights and sticks up for his teammates. He's a steady eddy player and comes at an extremely cheap cap hit - essentially great for the 3rd pairing. Value wise we woudn't get much in return so I don't think its really worth moving him.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I doubt he's available because he serves so many purposes and does it for dirt cheap. He's a solid depth defender, can enforce a bit and be a physical presence with big hits and all that for $566,667 this year and next.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

He was one of three regular defensemen the Pens had last year that looked consistently good out there in the regular season and didn't completely **** the bed in the playoffs. Plays solid two-way hockey, hits, fights, and is dirt-cheap.

No incentive for us to deal him, really.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
professorchaos

I know it is unlikely but ma team is in need of some right-handed toughness on defence and I like his game best. Fellow Canuck fans probably wouldn't agree but I would be willing to ship prospects for this guy.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
professorchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He was one of three regular defensemen the Pens had last year that looked consistently good out there in the regular season and didn't completely **** the bed in the playoffs. Plays solid two-way hockey, hits, fights, and is dirt-cheap.

No incentive for us to deal him, really.
Figures. I hate your GM for not overpaying this guy

Old
01-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I would much rather hang on to Deryk this season and see if another strong season - hopefully seasoned with some playoff success - could not hike his value significantly.

We have lots of prospects to take over, but they are prospects and while some of them should get more than a cup of coffee this season, it is too risky dealing Engelland now, also because he is (as has been mentioned) one of our very few tough guys on D and we need to get tougher rather than more soff.

If - say - Bortuzzo and Despres solidify claims as starters this season, dealing Engelland one year before he is UFA would be the right time to maximize value for us considering that he is a strong 4-6 D-man with a dreamy cap-hit.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I'd take anything that helps our D situation now...which probably means we'd need a third team involved...

Engelland, without improving, isn't going to be much of a factor for us when the prospects grow up a little...the coaching staff glues him to the bench in the playoffs...kind of like Stu Bickel (well, Deryk is better than Stu, but still) in New York...the stage just got a little too big for him...hard to believe that'll change going forward, but I'm rooting for it...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Violent By Design

Pens can't afford to give him up, he's a staple on the 3rd pairing and brings too much at a steal of a price.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:08 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

What you think; what is Deryk Engellands valua as Free Agent?

I gues its something like 1.5 million per year. Maybe two or three years.

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:30 AM
gdsmack267

Engo could be signed for about 1.2-1.3 Cap hit. Can play a #6/7 role well and can play 4th line wing if needed. Pens will likely let him walk with Harrington on the verge of the NHL and Pouliot turning pro.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:57 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
What you think; what is Deryk Engellands valua as Free Agent?

I gues its something like 1.5 million per year. Maybe two or three years.
sounds right, Carkner got 3 years @ 1.5 million per year and I'd say Engelland's a slightly better player.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Will Hunting

Honestly, he should be happy with 1-way, 1M per, 2 years deal. Can fight, can play 6th/7th D or a 4th line forward. Speed & skill are painfully missing, though. I don´t want him back in PIT.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, Engo is one of those guys that has some strengths but his weaknesses are strong enough to make him a liability at times. He is physical and mean. He can fight. The one somewhat skill he has is shooting. He gets pucks on net and with decent velocity for a guy of his talent level. He can definitely score a few goals for you as a forward or D because of that. Problem is he's very slow, handles the puck like a grenade, not a good puck mover etc. I'd guess a team that needs someone like him will throw 1 million to 1.5 million at him in UFA.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 07:59 AM
tony d
The franchise

Pittsburgh won't trade him. He's exactly what their defense needs more of, a good physical presence.

05-19-2014, 08:06 AM
wej20

He's an UFA and it's highly unlikely he is brought back as he'll be looking for a team which will give him guaranteed minutes.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 09:05 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Pittsburgh won't trade him. He's exactly what their defense needs more of, a good physical presence.
Pitt no longer owns his rights since he is UFA this year

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 09:45 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, Engo is one of those guys that has some strengths but his weaknesses are strong enough to make him a liability at times. He is physical and mean. He can fight. The one somewhat skill he has is shooting. He gets pucks on net and with decent velocity for a guy of his talent level. He can definitely score a few goals for you as a forward or D because of that. Problem is he's very slow, handles the puck like a grenade, not a good puck mover etc. I'd guess a team that needs someone like him will throw 1 million to 1.5 million at him in UFA.
find me a 4th line winger or a 6/7th D-man that isn't a liability at some time. Engo is great. A player that I imagine nearly 29 other teams would want on their roster for the 567k he was getting paid. For the UFA money he may get? idk

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Pitt no longer owns his rights since he is UFA this year
We own his rights untill July 1st.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote