HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Play GM of the Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Play GM of the Rangers

Pretend for a second that Glen Sather has just been fired as GM of the New York Rangers. You have stepped up to the podium in front of all the cameras and microphones of the media and have been asked to tell us what your plans to get the Rangers into the playoffs are.

What would you do?

Old
09-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Pretend for a second that Glen Sather has just been fired as GM of the New York Rangers. You have stepped up to the podium in front of all the cameras and microphones of the media and have been asked to tell us what your plans to get the Rangers into the playoffs are.

What would you do?
Run. Fast.

go rangers!

Old
09-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

vCash: 500
Sign every free agent who has scored 100+ goals in his carrer.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Reign Nateo

Well I personally would stay just how I was. Let this line-up have a chance. One thing I would do to the line-up is this:

Rucinsky-Lindros-Kovalev
Nedved-Lundmark-Carter
Hlavac-Holik-Barnaby
Lacouture-Messier-Simon

I think the line-up the Rangers have paid for has good potential to surprise this season (of course this has been said before) and I wouldn't tinker until they made me.

I wouldn't have re-signed Messier however, I would have given Garth Murray the spot, and asked Kovalev to donate 6 of his points to grandpa and moved on.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Rodent

Quote:

What would you do?
Alright. I'll bite. By firing Slats, I'll assume you mean that the season has not been going well and that the team is mired in 11th place or thereabouts.

1) Under no circumstances do I obtain high-profile players for the remainder of this season. I wait until the next CBA becomes more defined because if the age for unrestricted free agency drops below 31 to (say) 29 or even 27, there will be a bounty of valuable UFAs after the work stoppage and I would rather populate the team with younger UFAs like the Bertuzzis than UFAs in their 30s.

2) Come the march deadline, I prepare to offload those underperformers that I can... but in the process take on no long-term contracts that could hinder flexibility under the new CBA. Guys like KT, Guerin, JJ are not what I'm looking for.

Understand that I'm not trying to dump salary per se. But I am trying to deal away guys who aren't good bang for the buck, whomever they may be. If you have fired Slats, then it's likely that Eric has underperformed. I'll be preparing to move him... though it isn't essential because the final year of his deal would be the lockout season anyway. Vlad is also someone I'd probably find a taker for in March. His deal (though expensive) runs out in spring '05. So that makes this season his final payout for practical purposes.

If I get good young talent or picks for the guys I wish to offload, then that's gravy. But my priority is to maximize salary cap headroom and if I've blown the playoffs this season then I bite the bullet and do what I can to make life much easier for myself under the new CBA.

It becomes all about the future. No shortcuts.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Walk up to the podium with a large, white bag with a dollar sign on it and yell "SUCKERS!" and run away screaming.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Yayo

Take the money and go streaking.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Disco Volante

I'd say : "For now on we'll build through drafts and interior player development" and then dodge the tomatoes and bullets.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:35 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

By out Messier, Lindros, Malakhov. Sign Klee. Don't touch anything else, and let them gel.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

What would you do?
It would go something like this:

"Hello. Is this on? Testing, 1-2-3. Is this on?"

(Turning to Dolan) "Why are there so many cameras here?"

(Gesturing to the front row) "Can someone please help the eldery gentleman to his seat? Oh...sorry Mark."

I would then start by introducing the new (old) coach of the Rangers, Bryan Trottier. "I chose Bryan for this job...once again...based on his ability to crystalize his ideas for the team into cliff notes this time around...."

Old
09-19-2003, 08:50 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
By out Messier, Lindros, Malakhov. Sign Klee. Don't touch anything else, and let them gel.
I'd likely do the same thing except I'd keep Lindros. Actually, I'd probably let Mess play out the year as well. In short, I don't do much. IMO, Lindros will prove most naysayers wrong, and this club will have a better year. Most importantly, I won't fill depth positions with expensive "talent". I'd let the kids mature into the roles, and see how the year plays out. If the team underperforms, I'll deal/buy out the underperformers and re-evaluate.

Old
09-19-2003, 09:44 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

What would you do?
"i hereby follow suit and announce my resignation"

Old
09-20-2003, 12:00 AM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
Put Lundmark on the 2nd line, give my support to Lindros, sign Klee, publicly state I'm not lucking for a goalie, hire a coach who can implement a system (maybe Nolan) and stick with it, and finally, tell Messier he's a player not the coach and he'll play were he's told. Then hope.

Liam

Old
09-20-2003, 05:13 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I would probilly start off by prasing the team. *The Rangers currently have a team that looks great on papper though I feel we may need to bring in some key roll players to help us through some dry spells the necules of this team is good. My first move would check and see how desprate the caps are in ditching Jagr's contract and if it did not cost to much land him in witch I thing would be for a song and a dance.
Then I would go out and Sign Yeski and Klee to sure up my defence.offering 1 year contracts at upwards of 4 million dollard... give or take a few hundread thousand. I would see if the Flyers were seious about dealing Chris Therian. Then try and find buyers for some of the dead weight and have a lineup that looks simular to this...

Forwards:
Lundmark, Lindros , Jagr
Rucinsky, Nedved, Kovalev
Hlavac, Holik, Barnaby
Lacouture, Messier, Simon

This is a solid front line..

Defence:
Poti, Devries
Leetch,Yushkevich
Ken Klee, Kasparaitis
A Rock solid Defence

Goalie:
Dunham
markannen
goaltending looks solid also

Carter is not in the lineup because I would have included him as part of the Jagr trade along with a prospect or picks.. and cash..

Old
09-20-2003, 05:50 AM
Lowetide

I'd hire JOHN PADDOCK to coach the team, and pry away Kevin Prendergast from Edmonton to run the draft.

Then I'd pour a nice tall glass of **** until the trade deadline when I'm looking to trade veterans for draft picks and youngins. An exception would be Nedved.

I visit Blackburn in Hartford several times during the year, keep tabs on the other kids and generally act like I'm going to have a contender in two seasons.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:14 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

yes, lets look at what they have potentially:

75 rucinsky lindros carter
75 hlavac nedved kovalev
40 barnaby holik lundmark
25 simon lacouture petrovicky

15 devries poti
15 malakhov mironov
5 kasparaitus purinton

dunham
markannen

gf 245
ga 220

pts 90

if sather has them play a bit smarter defensively they could be a 90-95 pt team.

otherwise, when adding injuries the gf drops and ga rises
becoming once again a team struggling to reach .500

adding another top 6 forward is essential, in case lindros gets hurt or struggles, or the lw's dissapoint.

with little to deal, their best bet would be to go after an overpriced scorer from a team in salary dump mode.

then i would force sather to drop the combo gm-coach role and find a coach to improve the team defense, such as kevin constantine.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
yes, lets look at what they have potentially:

75 rucinsky lindros carter
75 hlavac nedved kovalev
40 barnaby holik lundmark
25 simon lacouture petrovicky

15 devries poti
15 malakhov mironov
5 kasparaitus purinton

dunham
markannen

gf 245
ga 220

pts 90

if sather has them play a bit smarter defensively they could be a 90-95 pt team.

otherwise, when adding injuries the gf drops and ga rises
becoming once again a team struggling to reach .500

adding another top 6 forward is essential, in case lindros gets hurt or struggles, or the lw's dissapoint.

with little to deal, their best bet would be to go after an overpriced scorer from a team in salary dump mode.

then i would force sather to drop the combo gm-coach role and find a coach to improve the team defense, such as kevin constantine.
I immagine you would want him to drop both rolls considering you would be the Gm.. Though I would fire his ass as soon as possable and bring in one of either Constantine or Ted Nolan.

Old
09-20-2003, 07:35 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild

Of course that'd be hard with about 10 untradable players, but I'd put the high priced players on the block, most for next to nothing, and try to trade the few valuable commodities that I have for youth and try to build through the draft.

It'll take a few years but at least it would be progress...

Old
09-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
1. I'd let Mess get his 6 points. Then I'd buy him out. It's "classier".
2. I'd actually trade Lindros for WHATEVER assets you can get. I'd rather keep him.
3. I'd keep Malakhov as well.
4. Klee is good idea.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
1. I'd let Mess get his 6 points.
What if he doesn't??

Old
09-20-2003, 08:47 AM
barnaby63

again, this is assuming the rangers are out of playoff contention by the deadline.

trade mironov, malakhov, carter and kovalev.

after the season i let go of messier,lindros,rucinsky,hlavac and simon.

i resign nedved,barnaby,lacoutore and purinton.

i sign daniel alfredsson,roman hamrlik, miroslav satan and shane doan (assuming the ufa age is lowered)

i go into next season with this lineup:

lundmark-nedved-satan
doan-moore-alfredsson
murray-holik-barnaby
lacoutore-larose-stals

poti-hamrlik
leetch-devries
lampman-kasparaitis
purinton-

dunham
markkanen

Old
09-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
You know, there's a reason that Nolan isn't hired. He turned down a job from Tampa Bay and he's been out of the loop for years now. He was interviewed last year and he couldn't name hardly any of the roster players.

So I don't hire Nolan to be my head coach. I hire him to coach Hartford.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
fire myself and hire a good GM

Old
09-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

1-Buy Lindros contract, then get Jagr and Straka. Use, Anson Carter, Fedor Tjutin, Garth Murray and picks to land these guys.

2-As my first PP unit, recreate the fab Czech line of Straka-Nedved-Jagr and put Kovy with them on the point.

3-Sign Ken Klee to solidify the D.

4-Keep Dunham as the main guy between the pipes.

5-I don't know about the coaching job. Would need to meet the candidates...

My lineup

Rucinsky-Nedved-Jagr
Hlavac-Straka-Kovalev
Messier-Holik-Lundmark
Simon-Petrovicky-Barnaby

Leetch-Devries
Kasparaitis-Poti
Klee-Mironov

Dunham

I know it's still a lot of thrown money but I feel it would be wise investment as I don't think the new CBA won't change as much as people might think. Plus, this lineup has some past history of chemistry with seven czech players and most of them having been acquainted with each other. Show me the money, I'll show you the cup.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:19 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Okay - I will play Rangers GM.

First move?

I trade all my players to the Edmonton Oilers for all of their players but keep the salaries the same.

Why pluck over time? Might as well get it all over with at once.

Closed Thread