Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as HC/Lombardi as VP player personnel/Horton as DC

Old
01-11-2013, 04:10 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Looks like the Panthers might replace Chud with Pat Shurmer. Sorry, but if you did not like Chud, get ready for the league's worst offensive scheme.

3rd and 7? Perfect time for a lateral.

Throw it deep? Not when there's a five yard check down available.

Cam's numbers are about to sink like a rock if they hire Pat "the QB killer" Shurmer.
We'll see. It's not like he had talent to work with on offense in Cleveland. Most people couldn't name a Browns offensive starter besides for Weeden and Richardson, and before then it was only Colt McCoy. Anyone expecting a good or flashy offense with that type of garbage must be pretty clueless.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I am not concerned about the Browns producing a good offense. It's a good defense they need.

BTW; Josh Cribbs, Mohammed Mossqui (spelt his name wrong), Greg Little

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Hue is more than qualified for that job and would probably help them become one of the best offenses in the league. But I would be worried about him taking the HC job if Rivera got canned. His game management decisions regarding challenges, when to go for it on 4th down or not, when to fake field goals and punts...are not good.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:19 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I am not concerned about the Browns producing a good offense. It's a good defense they need.

BTW; Josh Cribbs, Mohammed Mossqui (spelt his name wrong), Greg Little
Those are secondary WRs at best. Little is decent and has a lot of promise but that's easily one of the worst groups of WRs in the NFL.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Those are secondary WRs at best. Little is decent and has a lot of promise but that's easily one of the worst groups of WRs in the NFL.
It'll be interesting to see what they draft. Some good WR in the 2nd round and they could sneak back into the 1st round (late)

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
This could be one and done for the Browns. All the people they wanted said no. They're going to surround a guy who isn't a head coach with other former head coaches, in a year where they can't make a QB change. Why else would they hire him and then go after Norv Turner?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

This is a great day in Panthers history.

Guy was a horrible play caller. Despite the fact Cam showed he could accurately throw the ball he did his best to turn him into Vince Young, he had two great running backs the he only used to pass block, called seven step drops with long developing pass routes consistently almost killing Cam. I think I saw two roll outs all season & it took him half a year to discover Olsen was even alive. So relieved he is gone.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

It will be another two years of going absolutely nowhere, then blame it on the coach.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

Glad that he's no longer with my Panthers. But just my luck, my favorite AFC team picks him up. Just like Delhomme, this will probably be a disaster for Cleveland.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
We'll see. It's not like he had talent to work with on offense in Cleveland. Most people couldn't name a Browns offensive starter besides for Weeden and Richardson, and before then it was only Colt McCoy. Anyone expecting a good or flashy offense with that type of garbage must be pretty clueless.
His terrible system wasn't just a matter of the Browns being terrible. It was just as bad and unproductive when Shurmer was calling plays for the Rams.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:37 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Cleveland is such an easy target. It's like the North American version of Chernobyl, but without the nuclear fallout.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
As a Steelers fan I'm fine with this. The Browns actually were pretty competitive in many games this year, so going with an underwhelming choice such as this is fine with me. I do like some of their offensive weapons as Gordon will develop into a fine starter and Richardson is obviously legit. I'm not completely sold on Little but he did show a bit better down the stretch. I know Jordan Cameron at TE was really hyped early this year but I watched a handful of Browns games and to be honest he didn't show me as much as the hype had led me to believe. I'll reserve judgement on Weeden as he didn't play well in the games I saw him but it sounds like he had other better games.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Poor Richardson. Hope he likes running out of the shotgun 90% of the game.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:32 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Josh Gordon looks pretty talented. He could be that #1 guy they've been looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Hue is more than qualified for that job and would probably help them become one of the best offenses in the league. But I would be worried about him taking the HC job if Rivera got canned. His game management decisions regarding challenges, when to go for it on 4th down or not, when to fake field goals and punts...are not good.
I think if Rivera does fail this year they'll clean house and get somebody outside the organization. I don't see them promoting within any time soon. Off the top of my head, have they ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Glad that he's no longer with my Panthers. But just my luck, my favorite AFC team picks him up. Just like Delhomme, this will probably be a disaster for Cleveland.
You mean the QB with the best winning percentage for that franchise since their return in 1999?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Poor Richardson. Hope he likes running out of the shotgun 90% of the game.
It's OK, as long as he continues to get the ball at the goaline within his 3.6 yards per carry and score in two tries, the fans will be happy.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
You mean the QB with the best winning percentage for that franchise since their return in 1999?
What was he, 2-2? That's pretty funny actually, but nonetheless Delhomme was terrible for Cleveland.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Troy McClure

Now the Browns have hired Mike Lombardi as their GM. A guy so good at his job he hasn't had one in over five seasons...

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Now the Browns have hired Mike Lombardi as their GM. A guy so good at his job he hasn't had one in over five seasons...
And a guy whose evaluation skills are so wonderful that he told anyone who would listen that (after drafting Jamarcus Russell) that Joe Thomas would never make it, and that Trent Richardson was a terrible pick.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Ray Horton is expected to become Cleveland's new DC. So that's one good hire out of three.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Norv was a good hire. He's a good OC just a terrible HC.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Browns officially hired former Cardinals DC Ray Horton as their DC.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
One reason I'm skeptical of this move is Lombardi's assessment of the Browns. As an analyst, Lombardi was critical of Heckert's Trent Richardson-Brandon Weeden draft, calling it a "panic disaster." He also blasted the supplemental draft pick of Gordon as a "wasted draft pick," which could prove to be Heckert's best pick in terms of value. Now, the pressure will be on Lombardi to do a better job than Heckert.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...makes-no-sense

I also seem to recall him and Bill Simmons making fun of Norv Turner many times on the BS Report.

He was just doing his job as an analyst and many people felt that way about Weeden and Gordon but it's still a bit weird to hire the guy who has been so critical of some of the players. Even more weird because Lombardi will probably be a terrible GM for the Browns.

As others have said, at least they hired Horton. That seems like a good move and they do have some good young talent on defense.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Who replaces him as the executive-in-his-office studio guy? Charlie Casserly?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Horton is a brilliant hire, I'll give them that much.

Utterly idiotic by Arians to let him go...which is exactly what I'd expect out of Arians.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Horton is a brilliant hire, I'll give them that much.

Utterly idiotic by Arians to let him go...which is exactly what I'd expect out of Arians.
Horton was pissed at the Arizona GM for not getting the Cardinals job, he wasn't going to stay there.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:35 PM
PyroK
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Cleveland is such an easy target. It's like the North American version of Chernobyl, but without the nuclear fallout.
Yeah, Philadelphia is fantastic. Remember that time Cleveland fans threw snow balls at Santa?

Oh wait, that was Philadelphia.

PyroK is offline   Reply With Quote