HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Rival?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
scottrodo

vCash: 500
Biggest Rival?

Who does everyone think is the Pens biggest rival? Or, to put it another way, who does everyone hate the most? For me its definitely...

1. The Flyers - there is not a single redeeming individual associated with that bunch of undeserving whiners, then at a distant 2&3,
2. The Rangers - the Kings of the Free-agent Fiasco
3. The Capitals - although I like Bruce Boudreau now that he is in Anaheim.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-13-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: No name calling.
scottrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

If we don't know this answer by now....we all might as well stop watching hockey all together. Just saying.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Iggy Smalls

2008-2011 Washington Capitals
2011-Present Flyers

Everyone else I can watch without my fists clenched. I actually don't get worked up watching the Rangers, I fully expect either a two goal win/loss or an overtime.

Iggy Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrodo View Post
Who does everyone think is the Pens biggest rival? Or, to put it another way, who does everyone hate the most? For me its definitely...

1. The f-ing Cryers - there is not a single redeeming individual associated with that bunch of undeserving whiners, then at a distant 2&3,
2. The Strangers - the Kings of the Free-agent Fiasco
3. The Crapitals - although I like Bruce Boudreau now that he is in Anaheim.
Are the immature names really needed?

It's the Flyers. The Washington rivalry is mostly media hyped.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Are the immature names really needed?

It's the Flyers. The Washington rivalry is mostly media hyped.
Its definitely the Flyers. Always was. But the rivalry with the Caps is much older than Sid and Ovi. I think its definitely cooled off some, but its definitely a real rivalry. Again though, not on the level of the Flyers.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

We have done this before.

For 95% here it is the Flyers. There are a handful who vote elsewhere but the voting is not even close. Either way, polls on Philly's board go the same regarding us. Honestly neither fan base sees the other as anything but subhuman judging from the posts I see on each board. The drop off in hatred to the next team is a cliff.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Flyers (The Battle Of Pennsylvania says hi)

Capitals (The rivalry with the Caps is much older than Sid and Ovi but the media has definitely hyped it up a few notches over the years. It has cooled a bit however.)

The rest.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
clefty
What?

Nashville

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Edmonton. (they keep stealing all our #1 picks that Uncle Gary has been wanting to give us.)

Old
01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Til the End of Time

most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

bigger rivalry between the flyers and devils/rangers.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival.

I will not link the recent thread on the Flyer's board, because well you are not supposed to do that. But read it and you might change your mind. I have been around long enough, and pop onto other's teams' boards now and then over the years (just to read, I may have posted once on the Flyer's board in all my years here), that what you said was true at one time. No more. The percentages are as strong there as here about loathing us as much as we loath them, and it is not even close the drop to number two. Go there and read, there is a similar thread there posted only a day or so ago. Things have changed and we share hate valentines now.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
KiuasWarrior

Definitely the Flyers.

Capitals were up there, but last years games didn't have the same feeling of hatred and intensity between the teams.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

Right.

Care to explain why the entire arena is obsessed with Crosby chants/signs/etc?

That's inferiority complex.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Flyers, no doubt. The Capitals and Rangers may fluctuate from season to season, but the hate for the Flyers will always be in full force.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Then can you explain those "Crosby sucks" chants that they do with the stupid little organ jingle during every stoppage of play. Even when he's not on the ice???

Or hey...howsabout this???

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...d-crosby-tears

/thread

Old
01-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

As an aside, not sure why for most of you all, but personally my hatred for the Flyers stems mostly from how obnoxious most of their fans are, especially here at HF, but elsewhere as well. The team itself always has particularly loathsome excuses for human beings as well, but that is secondary to how subpar the fan base is.

Which makes GKJ so hard for me to deal with in my head. In my opinion he is one of the best mods at HF and a very likable person to boot. The cosmic dissonance of GKJ and Philly almost makes my head explode at times.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

Check out the Flyers board, and see their Rival thread.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Check out the Flyers board, and see their Rival thread.
i'm surprised by those results.

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia. whenever i'm in pittsburgh, the media seems to revel in bashing anything philadelphia related. i dont really hear the same level of vitriol directed towards pittsburgh when in phila, the recent renewed pens/flyers rivalry not withstanding.

to put it another way- pittsburgh spends more time worrying about philadelphia than philadelphia worries about pittsburgh.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:03 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia. whenever i'm in pittsburgh, the media seems to revel in bashing anything philadelphia related. i dont really hear the same level of vitriol directed towards pittsburgh when in phila, the recent renewed pens/flyers rivalry not withstanding.
What?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia.
Well we did lose once for 15 years straight in Philly (1974-1989) despite playing them several times a year as they were in our division. That is a streak that may even rival the Pirates two decades and counting of futility. So yeah, I will admit to the inferiority complex lingering from those years. Now with Crosby especially (the chants truly are pathetic and make me laugh at them) but Malkin, etc. too, and our cups, it seems that the green skates are on the other foot.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:11 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Flyers fans buy Pens gear, draw red X's or ∅'s on the logo and wear that to games. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw it. I don't see them with Rangers or Devils gear doing the same. Could be wrong, though.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As an aside, not sure why for most of you all, but personally my hatred for the Flyers stems mostly from how obnoxious most of their fans are, especially here at HF, but elsewhere as well. The team itself always has particularly loathsome excuses for human beings as well, but that is secondary to how subpar the fan base is.

Which makes GKJ so hard for me to deal with in my head. In my opinion he is one of the best mods at HF and a very likable person to boot. The cosmic dissonance of GKJ and Philly almost makes my head explode at times.
As Harrison Ford might say...'ditto'.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
od71

Flyers.
Until they get retaliation for the PO last season

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Flyers for sure. I live in central PA where the fanbases are mixed. Flyers fans are obnoxious, unjustifiably cocky, and flat out delusional. I can't tell you how many times ive been told how much better giroux is than crosby. The aftermath of last years playoffs was just unbearable lol.

I don't like the bruins or rangers either.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:

to put it another way- pittsburgh spends more time worrying about philadelphia than philadelphia worries about pittsburgh.
Sorry that's just not true. I think I almost get your point on the surface but very honestly it's being way too overly PC and respectful. Philly hates the Rangers no doubt and maybe a decade ago you'd be right but since Sid/Geno got there there is absolutely 0% chance that the Pens are not the answer to most Flyers fans to "Who do you hate the most and consider your biggest rivalry?" No need to go to their boards, I absolutely guarantee that's not even close on their end right now

Pick87your71Poison is online now   Reply With Quote