HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

View Poll Results: Our Goalie Situation - What's the Fix?
Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back 28 36.84%
Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1 4 5.26%
Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who) 3 3.95%
Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who) 21 27.63%
Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who) 0 0%
Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere 17 22.37%
Other (plz specify) 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
This is why I suggested trading Leddy + 1st round pick for Lehner. The Hawks can afford to give up a 3rd pairing dman and a 1st rounder. Lehner probably would come here and take the job from Crawford in no time...and suddenly the Hawks one big hole is filled and they look deadly as the playoffs approach.
I feel like that's overpayment and that Lehner hasn't proved he can be a number one guy. The dude is massive and has talent, but that is a lot to give up. It's somewhat similar to getting Bernier.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Cullksinikers

He just got sent down.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Sometimes you just know the guy is going to pan out. Lehner is one of those guys. He's done so much in the AHL in the regular season and playoffs, has looked great in his limited NHL time, has all of the tools and size. I put him closer to Schneider than Bernier.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I feel like that's overpayment and that Lehner hasn't proved he can be a number one guy. The dude is massive and has talent, but that is a lot to give up. It's somewhat similar to getting Bernier.
You aren't going to get one of the best goaltender prospects cheap. It's a perfect situation, as the Hawks need a young stud who won't count hard against the cap the next 3 years.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Sometimes you just know the guy is going to pan out. Lehner is one of those guys. He's done so much in the AHL in the regular season and playoffs, has looked great in his limited NHL time, has all of the tools and size. I put him closer to Schneider than Bernier.
I guess this is true, but it's a crapshoot on the trade market. There are no elite goaltender available. There will be a few solid guys that may require overpayment. As I always stress, take the plunge to bring another Cup to this city.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You aren't going to get one of the best goaltender prospects cheap. It's a perfect situation, as the Hawks need a young stud who won't count hard against the cap the next 3 years.
Leddy, Pirri, and 1st for Smith and Lehner?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:42 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
As I always stress, take the plunge to bring another Cup to this city.
Me too, I'm just not sure that we don't need more than just a goalie.

You get Kipper, that's it.

You get Lehner or a Clemmensen type, you still have room for a center (which I still believe we need, whether that be a top 4th line C, good 3rd line C, average 2nd line C, need one though) and another winger or D-man depending on how injuries affect the team.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:43 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Coldsteel: I know I said this last year a few times and nothing has changed. Your dislike for Emery has you obsessed to the point that you have your priorities backwards. Emery did an adequate job as backup last season; Q never gave him a chance to play himself into a possible starting role. No, instead, Q handed it to Crawford even though he didnít earn it. It was Crawford who let the team down and was the direct cause of our elimination in the 1st round of last seasonís playoffs.

Replacing Emery with what arguably amounts to his equivalent (at best), does nothing to upgrade this team. Your witch hunt for Emery has gone beyond ridiculous. This team needs a legit #1 goalie.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Cullksinikers

I'll take Lehner or Kipper. I think Smith plus Lehner makes sense for the Hawks. Just have to hope Lehner can do work in the playoffs.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Coldsteel: I know I said this last year a few times and nothing has changed. Your dislike for Emery has you obsessed to the point that you have your priorities backwards. Emery did an adequate job as backup last season; Q never gave him a chance to play himself into a possible starting role. No, instead, Q handed it to Crawford even though he didnít earn it. It was Crawford who let the team down and was the direct cause of our elimination in the 1st round of last seasonís playoffs.

Replacing Emery with what arguably amounts to his equivalent (at best), does nothing to upgrade this team. Your witch hunt for Emery has gone beyond ridiculous. This team needs a legit #1 goalie.
We can argue whether we can win with a Crawford or Clemmensen type (playing well). Obviously some of you think that still isn't enough. But what we cannot argue is that there just aren't legit number 1's out there to be acquired. Am I missing someone because Kipper is the only possibility I see.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Most agree and that is why Lehner is not going to get traded. He is their future in Ottawa and Anderson is their current. Bishop is the odd man out - itís a gamble to grab him, but I say go for it.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Most agree and that is why Lehner is not going to get traded. He is their future in Ottawa and Anderson is their current. Bishop is the odd man out - itís a gamble to grab him, but I say go for it.
Yeah, I'm fine with that too.

Clemmensen
Bishop
Hedberg
Giguere

Those are the only four guys we could realistically acquire based on contract status and depth of the team they are on. That's the order I put them in too. Clemmer and Bishop are far more appealing.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Leddy + 1st for Lehner? for this kind of package we get a starting goalie like Anderson

Bishop was worth a 2nd last year as the best AHL goalie by that time. There was a bidding war for him. Now Lehner was put behind him. Anything more than a high 2nd would shock me. I say I might think about our 1st for Lehner, but thats about it and thats when we know that we will make the POs.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
digdug41982

I think Lehner is just as good as Anderson right now, plus has the upside to be better.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's why he is the #3 on their depth chart? I like Lehner too and would love him on the Hawks behind Crawford, but he isn't as good as Anderson or close to replacing him

Old
01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
crazyhawk

Lehner is clearly their #1 of the future and much like Vancouver will probably have him back up Anderson later this year or for sure next until he outplays him and Anderson will then be traded.
Bishop is only insurance to them and to back up Anderson until they decide it's time to bring Lehner up for good.
It would take an extreme overpayment to get Lehner and I can't see them interested in Leddy as Karlsson has the PMD down pat ... maybe Hammer plus but again it's highly unlikely.

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Lehner has to prove it in the NHL first...

Old
01-23-2013, 06:42 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Leddy and a first for an unknown? No thanks. Go get Kipper/Backstrom/Theodore/Nabakov at the deadline.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I am really stating to believe half of you know nothing about what NHL goalies are worth. I see people constantly going about not wanting a prospect because they haven't proven anything. Then the same people go on and on about how they don't want to trade any of the regular NHL players we have.
IN WHAT WORLD DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE?
Where on this planet will a proven NHL #1 goalies get traded for a bunch of prospects.
There are 25 or so proven #1 goalies in the NHL and you think a package of prospects, not even elite prospects, and a late pick will get you one of those rare commodities? No, it's not going to happen, so you either, trade for a unproven prospect, who you can get for cheaper or trade for the sure thing but it will cost you more.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

No more aging, past their prime, soon to retire vets in Chicago, have gone down that road before, didn't work, don't do it again. Moving for Kipper or anyone else in that mold puts a bandaid on a bullet wound. They might be ok for a little bit, then they'll far apart, retire in a year or so and the Hawks are in a worse case then they wore before because now they have nothing in net.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

We are a team that isn't building for the future. I'd much rather give up a first (and continue to do so) for a proven goalie over the next few years then take a chance and be wrong on a prospect.

We don't have years to waste.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:26 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
No more aging, past their prime, soon to retire vets in Chicago, have gone down that road before, didn't work, don't do it again. Moving for Kipper or anyone else in that mold puts a bandaid on a bullet wound. They might be ok for a little bit, then they'll far apart, retire in a year or so and the Hawks are in a worse case then they wore before because now they have nothing in net.
We've tried bargain bin talent under Bowman. I'm not advocating that. A solid keeper that's not trending downward will cost us but won't kill us.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Leddy and a first for an unknown? No thanks. Go get Kipper/Backstrom/Theodore/Nabakov at the deadline.
I'm not sure Minny will trade Backstrom. Also, Nabokov and Theodore as backups would be good. Kipper can actually possibly overtake Crawford, giving us a good number one and a respectable number two.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Hawkaholic

Nabokov would be the starter here, not a back up.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Wild = want to win and Backstrom gives them the best chance
Flames = want to make the POs. Too early to talk about him. If they are close, Kipper will stay
Isles = Nabby isn't what we need
Panthers = Theo is their starter this year, lead them to the POs and they want to do it again

maybe it's just me, but so far I go with Crawford and trust him this year. Offseason will get huge when it comes to goaltending. I'm sure Emery won't stay